Star Trek Feedback pulse

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

AltoidMaster
Redshirt

Star Trek Feedback pulse

Post by AltoidMaster »

I'm not sure where this would go but I do have a question about how Star Trek ships generate a feedback pulse.

I mean it appears to originate from the hull of the ship, but for them to emit the energy signal doesn't that mean that there is some sort of output point over every part of the hull?
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

They probably just have it come straight out of their shields or SIF.
The Great and Malignant
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: Star Trek Feedback pulse

Post by Rob Wilson »

AltoidMaster wrote:I'm not sure where this would go but I do have a question about how Star Trek ships generate a feedback pulse.

I mean it appears to originate from the hull of the ship, but for them to emit the energy signal doesn't that mean that there is some sort of output point over every part of the hull?
Like Spoofe I was under the impression it was generated through the shields, or possibly the Swiss Army Deflector dish.

Any specific examples of when it was used that have you troubled?
AltoidMaster
Redshirt

Post by AltoidMaster »

Well actually IIRC all the clips of a feedback pulse show it originating from the hull and not the shields. But then again I may be wrong. does anyone have one handy?
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

That's what makes me assume that it's generated by using the SIF as a "conductor" of sorts (since, presumably, the SIF is as close to the hull as possible).
The Great and Malignant
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lets not get into the how do you aim it problems either

Or why they need one every other show :)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Einhander Snoman
Redshirt
Location: Captain's Chair of the Templara Jaya, largest and most powerful starship among the galaxies!

Erm ok...

Post by Einhander Snoman »

What the Hell's a feedback pulse? Is it like when you attach a bad amp to a pulse laser and it gets a feedback screech? I think in this situation Marvin the Martian would say "Oh drat this Treknobabble is so naughty and so complex... Oh goody! My Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator! BOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!"
"Ever saw the Templara Jaya? She's 16000 kilometers long, crewed by twenty billion, and can vaporize a planet the size of Jupiter. She's yours now!"