Awesome pic: In the shadow of Saturn

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Awesome pic: In the shadow of Saturn

Post by kheegster »

This picture just made my jaw drop. It's taken from the Cassini orbiter from the dark side of Saturn eclipsing the Sun. On the left, you can just see the tiny pale blue dot that is Earth through the rings.

This is a real picture NOT an artist's impression, which was what I initially thought it is.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061016.html
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

With a little tweaking of the full size image, that is now by desktop background.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Ah if only I could live long enough to be out there and see these sights first hand.
Quite an interesting scene - it really does look like art.
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

[nitpick]Doesn't this belong in AMP?[/nitpick]

Very cool. Now if only I could see it in person, I would die a happier man for that.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

As a graphics artis its really really hard for e to accept that as real.. Of course I have no reason to doubt the source.. Perhaps we poor Earth bound people cannot yet imagine some of the sights the Heavens have for us?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:As a graphics artis its really really hard for e to accept that as real.. Of course I have no reason to doubt the source.. Perhaps we poor Earth bound people cannot yet imagine some of the sights the Heavens have for us?
I agree. That does not look real.
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

If you look at the full size pic, the seams where the mosaic was connected together can easily be seen (the Cassini's camera's field of view is nowhere big enough to image this in one field), and other image artifacts can also easily be seen, including cosmic ray hits on the CCD.
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

I imagine that the sunlight reflecting off of the rings is what gives it such an ethereal, "fake" effect.
It could also be because we're so used to sci-fi shots of planets with starry backdrops :P
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
wilfulton
Jedi Knight

Post by wilfulton »

The only way we'll ever be able to see what sights the heavens have for us is to go out there and see them ourselves, which is why I've been a supporter of the Space Program.

Of course, some of these spacecraft do also see in wavelengths of light that we cannot. Many of these images are enhanced by infrared and ultraviolet.
Gork the Ork sez: Speak softly and carry a Big Shoota!
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

JLTucker wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:As a graphics artis its really really hard for e to accept that as real.. Of course I have no reason to doubt the source.. Perhaps we poor Earth bound people cannot yet imagine some of the sights the Heavens have for us?
I agree. That does not look real.
It's real. But it has been image-processed. The link itself says that that NASA enhanced the colors in the image to make them stand out better. If you saw it with your own eyes, it would be much more muted.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Needs more lensflare.

Other than that, it's going in my ever growing collection of astronomy pictures.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Geez. :shock:
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

It looks like the unaltered image can be found here, the one at the top of the page: Link

As amazing as this is (and... I have no words) it is even more amazing to me how little color enhancement seems to have been performed on the original.

Just, beautiful.
"Do not worry, I have prepared something for just such an emergency."

"You're prepared for a giant monster made entirely of nulls stomping around Mainframe?!"

"That is correct!"

"How do you plan for that?"

"Uh... lucky guess?"
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Gorgeous.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

...Holy shit. That is just supremely awesome.
"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

"This was evil manifest."

- Terry "Not a fantasy author, honest" Goodkind, bringing unintentional comedy to a bookshop near you since 1994.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

NASA, ESA etc. should get more money for probes - I want more variation on my desktop ;-)

a pity that JIMO was cancelled, imagine similar pictures from Jupiter...
perhaps Juno can deliver something.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Raesene wrote:NASA, ESA etc. should get more money for probes - I want more variation on my desktop ;-)

a pity that JIMO was cancelled, imagine similar pictures from Jupiter...
perhaps Juno can deliver something.
Well, we should be getting some really nice flyby pictures of Jupiter when New Horizons passes Jupiter in early 2007 on its way to Pluto. We might get a few more from Cassini if, in the future, they decide that disposing of it in Saturn is too risky, and they decide to send it to Jupiter for disposal. (Near the end of Cassini's useful lifespan, it needs to be disposed of in a way that minimizes the risk that the probe will impact on an interesting and potentially life-friendly body, like Titan or Enceladus. This would mean sending it on a suicide dive into Saturn, except Saturn has this immense debris field otherwise known as 'rings' that the probe would have to spend an extended period of time in before reaching Saturn. There could be a slight, but non-trivial risk that a collision could render the probe uncontrollable. As a result, they might send it on a number of successive flybys of Titan until it gains enough energy from the gravitational interactions to break free and be dispatched on a course to crash somewhere where there is no chance of contamination. Incidentally, the same decision was made for the Galileo probe which orbited Jupiter, since scientists didn't want to risk an inert probe crashing into and contaminating Europa.)
dr. what
Jedi Master

Post by dr. what »

It is truly beautiful, but I could never look at the rings the same way after learning about the Legend of the Holy Prepuce.

Holy (Cock)Rings of Saturn!

Oh jeez--I am SO going to hell for that one......
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

dr. what wrote:It is truly beautiful, but I could never look at the rings the same way after learning about the Legend of the Holy Prepuce.

Holy (Cock)Rings of Saturn!

Oh jeez--I am SO going to hell for that one......

ewwww :shock:

catholics can be strange... but whose foreskins are circling the other gas giants :wink: ?

concerning disposal: not that I'm against sending it back to Jupiter and getting some more data that way, but is it impossible to pass the over/under the rings ? A swingby of one of the moons could send it over them, and Saturn's gravity could force it in an instable orbit so that it burns up. Is this too complicated and geometrically not feasible ? (not sure about the distance inner ring/Saturn, which might render this impossible)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

The Silence and I wrote:It looks like the unaltered image can be found here, the one at the top of the page: Link
I just love those annotaions: 'Blue' 'Bluer' 'Reddish' 'Redder'. For something so beautiful they could have come up with some more artistic annotations.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

I just noticed that this same pic is on the cover of this month's issue of National Geographic. There more incredible pictures in the article as well.