Scientology orientation video

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

unigolyn
Youngling

Scientology orientation video

Post by unigolyn »

My apologies if this has been posted before, although searching the archives didn't dig up any threads on it.

Someone secretly filmed a Scientology orientation video, and it has to be, hands down, the most hokey infomercial ever committed to film. If this is what it takes to indoctrinate millions of people, I'd be on the lookout for cults worshipping Ginsu knives and Ab-rollers.

Link(Google video)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

You Americans and your whackos.
[/Magneto]

I hope to Darwin that the FSM attains this status in society. Fucking clams.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Finally an opportunity to post this pic:

yar
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

That picture is gold.

And this video is so corny and scary, I want to cry.
unigolyn
Youngling

Post by unigolyn »

The video is so bad it's hilarious, despite its rather lavish production values, and the brainwashing methods used are so laughably transparent that it truly scares me that anyone would fall for it.

The most obvious feature is proving something by excessive repetition. Is Scientology a religion? Scientology is a religion is a religion is a religion is a religion...as it pertains to tax exemption. Scientology has a building, a building, a building, a building, a building, and a boat. Who can Scientology help? Anne Archer, a doctor, a deep sea diver, Isaac Hayes, a designer, a photographer, Kirstie Alley, a butcher, a baker, a candlestick maker, John Travolta.

Only completely superficial information is provided about anything relating to Scientology itself, other than listing its ridiculously complicated paramilitary internal hierarchy. The brainwashee is inundated with positive imagery and smiling Scientologist celebs, only to be thrust in a scene where happy Scientologists purposefully walk through a doorway while the previously chipper Troy McClure-wannabe stops the viewers passage and barrages him with fire and brimstone, the errant ways of both traditional religion and secular science, and offers the alternative of a "trillion years" of happiness.

Refusing the trillion years so is YOUR choice, but it would be stupid. You also have the choice of blowing your brains out, after all. You're not stupid, are you? It's your choice. We won't tell you what to do. It's all up to you.

Sold? Congratulations, step right up to go through your 12-hour intensive auditing session.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Scientology strikes me as a synthesis of religious iconography, imagery and language, and that of self-help techniques to boot. Although what the fuck is this "auditing" sessions, with the cans...?

[btw, it is true that you quote something when you don't know what it means]
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Scientology strikes me as a synthesis of religious iconography, imagery and language, and that of self-help techniques to boot. Although what the fuck is this "auditing" sessions, with the cans...?
If I remember right, auditing is a thing they do to see how well they can manage their emotions and thoughts. The cans are an "E-meter"
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

And they actually tried to steal IRS files.

The Scientologists also tried to frame a Holocaust survivor for terrorism, IIRC.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Let's not forget Scientology's greatest crime... not humanely euthenizing Tom Cruise when it was apparent he contracted rabies.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Pelranius wrote:And they actually tried to steal IRS files.

The Scientologists also tried to frame a Holocaust survivor for terrorism, IIRC.
They've ruined lives, broken up families, and have killed people too, so that doesn't sound too far off the mark.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

unigolyn wrote: Refusing the trillion years so is YOUR choice, but it would be stupid. You also have the choice of blowing your brains out, after all. You're not stupid, are you? It's your choice. We won't tell you what to do. It's all up to you.

Sold? Congratulations, step right up to go through your 12-hour intensive auditing session.
I was watching the last half with the doors when I read this post and read the above part, thinking "paraphrased, but probably accurate". But fuck no, they actually say that you're stupid and that you can blow your brains out. Holy fuck.....

This shit destroys braincells, I swear. I have committed several to a suicidal plunge they will never recover from.
Elaro
Padawan Learner

Post by Elaro »

CaptJodan wrote:
unigolyn wrote: Refusing the trillion years so is YOUR choice, but it would be stupid. You also have the choice of blowing your brains out, after all. You're not stupid, are you? It's your choice. We won't tell you what to do. It's all up to you.

I was watching the last half with the doors when I read this post and read the above part, thinking "paraphrased, but probably accurate". But fuck no, they actually say that you're stupid and that you can blow your brains out. Holy fuck.....

This shit destroys braincells, I swear. I have committed several to a suicidal plunge they will never recover from.
It does. (Owwww....)
"The surest sign that the world was not created by an omnipotent Being who loves us is that the Earth is not an infinite plane and it does not rain meat."

"Lo, how free the madman is! He can observe beyond mere reality, and cogitates untroubled by the bounds of relevance."
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

That entire film had the same sort of surreal quality as the news segements during Starship Troppers; of course, the fact that its real makes it infinitely worse. I was rather mortified throughout the course of it, but the last few minutes made me laugh out loud. The whole "you could kill yourself" bit was just too much. I wonder what Scientology's goons do to you if you break down laughing during in the middle of their orientation sessions.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Hey, but they have a big ole yacht. That makes up for everything, right?

Seriously, I've only watched two minutes of it and already I feel like I'm going through euthanasia. The first 30 seconds watching asteroids and then so far a minute and a half of "This is such and such Scientology building."
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

Funny as hell. One day I have to go to an auditing and see how far into the bureacracy I can get. These guys are fucknuts. A 2-year-old could see how hard they're pushing to sell their books.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

OK, at the 25 minute mark, all they've really said is boasted about their status as a legitimate religion and that they have tax exempt status. At one point they attack the government as a lying brain washing organization and then turn around and wank over having official government endorsement.

After that about five minutes of vague testimonials.

Last, a few minutes of wank over what a great organization Scientology is and finally, a bit of a glimpse into what they're really about--thinking the world is about to be destroyed but saving your soul. Then more propaganda.

And what a great way to conclude: have the video become filled with rapid pauses, making the guy's closing speil incomprehensible. Did anyone else experience that in the last ~20 seconds?
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I loved when he said that Scientology has undergone the most rigorous of tests and survived attempts at being destroyed better than any other religion. Ya know, because Christians weren't hunted down for a time in Roman times, and the Jews haven't been slaughtered and subjected numerous times in history, just to name two easy ones. :roll:
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

And what a great way to conclude: have the video become filled with rapid pauses, making the guy's closing speil incomprehensible. Did anyone else experience that in the last ~20 seconds?
Well, I understood the basic jist of it. It's really the same thing that other religions say. "You have a choice - not really, since if you don't take our option, you burn in hell forever - but you have a choice to accept [insert deity]." And yes, I also experienced technical problems at the end.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Captain Cyran wrote:I loved when he said that Scientology has undergone the most rigorous of tests and survived attempts at being destroyed better than any other religion. Ya know, because Christians weren't hunted down for a time in Roman times, and the Jews haven't been slaughtered and subjected numerous times in history, just to name two easy ones. :roll:
What? You think the Romans can hold a candle to the IRS? :P

Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Gosh...one day when I have a dog so stupid that it walks into walls, I will name him "scientologist".
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

By the way, that video is soooo boring....I skipped forward just to hear ANYTHING interesting.

The founding principle of that video is to convince people that "zomg so many people cant be wrong!!!111shift+11!!"
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I hate to say it, but it does help the case for eugenics.

This is beyond PHB level crasness and stupidity.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

I haven't managed to watch it all yet, but I think the funniest moment so far has been the narrator talking about how "the lives and works of materialists certainly prove that they are not godly men". Quite apart from the stupidity of blaming "materialism" for the world's problems (such as, of course, the atom bomb), I really have to wonder if these guys realise the absurdity of that statement - of course materialists are not godly men, because they don't believe in God!
"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

"This was evil manifest."

- Terry "Not a fantasy author, honest" Goodkind, bringing unintentional comedy to a bookshop near you since 1994.