Where do atheists get their moral code?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Nova Andromeda wrote:--"Hmmm, look at it mathematically ..."
-If you think you can construct a space out of my system go right ahead and calculate whether it is indeterminant or not. I'm betting you can't consuct such a space though. Failer to do so wouldn't mean my system is too complex to use.
Of course I cannot. That would require that I go beyond making an analogy, much as you have gone beyond reading one.
--"... try to justify them without the basis ..."
-I'm not doing this according to how you define basis. That is different from how Mike and Nick define basis though which is a set of common goals generally agreed upon.
I am not sure that I contradicted either Mike or Nick. Maybe you could show me how I defined a contrary basis in my analogy of something simple being used to build more complex objects.
--"Every law can be traced back to something like that."
-All you are doing here is defining a basis to fit your rules. Sure you can do that, however, you are doing exactly what Mike accussed me of doing. You are treating the law as dogma.
Proof? I didn't define any basis. I said "a basis is required to do more complex things" in so many words, using a math analogy to make my point. You've not shown that molecules are not made of atoms. Maybe I should say dictionaries instead of molecules. Anyway, nice putting words in my mouth. I thought I was making the point that our system of laws is based on something very much like sympathy and justice. Maybe I could use different words, like "satisfaction" or "safety". Would that appease you? You may be the only one who doesn't understand, as you seem to need to cling to your idea. Whatever that was. That night-light you call an idea.

I was not arguing with you, in fact, I don't believe I made any effort whatsoever to talk to you specifically in the first place. Just because you look stupid doesn't mean everyone is watching.

You abuse math worse than I do. At least I do it on purpose. Calculus of humans is something for psychologists and their kind. I even have to ask myself "what made me talk that way?" about that statement. I'm no Lex Luthor. I'm just a simple guy sitting here in my underwear, wishing Ziggurat wouldn't cheat, or that my monitor could support higher res so I can play Civ3, or that some filthy blogger wouldn't take something I said and read a whole bunch of BS into it, I thought it was full enough of that already. Here you act like some superior alien lifeform when you may be, from every indication, a hyperliteral ant. Get over it, Nova, it's frustrating when people refuse to recognize that they can simply converse and you don't have to be right 110% of the time. Of course my statements may not be precise, but who cares? Are you going to take the 14th amendment and work backwards to realize that black people are humans deserving of freedom too? You almost sounded like you weren't willing to attempt error-correction on an ill-formed formula. I made a simple point, and you ask me to construct a space. Oh golly, I must have said humans were normal, or have spectral axes, or something. "Oberon, my determinant is 1. How do I fit into your plan?" "Sorry, Bachelor Number 2. Jaws was never my scene." I made a simple analogy. Sorry if it upset you.
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

--"I don't think an entirely objective basis is possible ... Because our judgment of what constitutes 'good' or 'bad' consequences is itself based on our values!)."
-This arguement is non sequitur. Good and bad are words defined by one's moral system not the other way around. They have no affect on whether the underlying system is objective or not.
I must repeat this is a not totally correct notion.
There is something, Ethics who are universal and that can be used to judge a moral system from different societies. Ethics do not show a moral system to judge another. They are a basis which any antropologist use to study in the search for moral system's origem. From ethic point of view, there is such things as good or bad, but that would be a flawed way to express, less-ethical or more-ethical perhaps.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Response to Nick...

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--"I don't think an entirely objective basis is possible ... Because our judgment of what constitutes 'good' or 'bad' consequences is itself based on our values!)."
-This arguement is non sequitur. Good and bad are words defined by one's moral system not the other way around. They have no affect on whether the underlying system is objective or not.

--"... Nova's framework is actually a justification for why morality is necessary at all ... what it does not really say is what goals need to be common to all entities (aside for the single point of 'all entities must subscribe to the code'). In doing so, I believe it falls short of a workable moral code by a significant step."
-First, you seem to have a different idea of what a moral code is than I do. I'm not even sure at what point in my system you would begin to call it a moral code. However, I understand a moral code to be any system that defines what a group considers good and bad.
-Second, my system expressly shows that inequitable treatment of entities, who understand and accept my system, for any reason will result in conflict with those entities. Restricting entities' goals certainly does this.
-Third, I have not said "all entities must subscribe to the code." Instead, I described what the most useful system of interaction was between certain entities who had underfined goals. My system applies for any goal whether it be procreation, enjoyment of life, spinning in circles forever, killing others, suicide, etc.
-Fourth, I have not really described how the system would apply to interactions involving entities that did not fall into the narrow catagory I described. However, it is certainly possible to derive those additions, but only after one understands my system.

--"What is morality supposed to achieve?"
-You are begging the question here. Morality isn't necessarily "supposed" to achieve anything (see my system). However, many systems are designed to acheive the goals its designers wanted it to acheive.

--arguement for enforcing compassion ...
-Your arguement is severly flawed. Essentially, you wish to enforce compassion to strengthen society and provide a safety net for individuals. Before I continue let me first state that I'm talking only about the entities that articulate my system. Now then, the problem is that by enforcing compassion you weaken society to provide something that would already exist amongst entities that wanted it. You weaken society by placing it in conflict with every entity whose goals preclude compassion. This clearly removes potential power from the society. If compassion is not enforced their will not be the extra number of entities in conflict with it. Even worse, a safetly net will be in place for every entity that wants it and is willing to pay the cost for it. Why is that you wonder? It is quite simple, it is desirable for entities whose goals are imperiled by random chance to setup equitable agreements with other entities against random events that imperil their goals. What about the entities that don't want it you ask? That is a decision each entity must make for itself or the system is not equitable (which leads to conflict). What about those that can't pay an equitable share for certain types of insurance? In this case it is not equitable to demand other entities pay the cost (conflict yet again).
-In the end, the strongest society will be the one in which all its members have only one goal. That goal being to support the community at all cost. However, it is a fact that those entities must start with that goal. Any attempt to enforce alignment to that goal will be a contest of power which will be a cost benefit analysis. It should be noted that natural selection favors entities that understand my system since it means they understand the problems with acting in an inequitable fashion with other entities and the benefits of acting cooperatively with other entities.
Nova Andromeda
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Response to Oberon...

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--"you can decide if the system is indeterminate before you even get started. "
-"If you think you can construct a space out of my system ..."
-"Of course I cannot. That would require that I go beyond making an analogy, much as you have gone beyond reading one."
-Well it seemed to me that you intended to prove my system was indeterminant by looking at its basis. However, you must construct a space out of my system before you can look at its basis (if you already know the basis of my system then you still have the space). If you had some other intention it was not apparent to me.

--"... try to justify them without the basis ..."
-"I'm not doing this according to how you define basis. That is different from how Mike and Nick define basis though which is a set of common goals generally agreed upon."
-"I am not sure that I contradicted either Mike or Nick. Maybe you could show me how I defined a contrary basis in my analogy of something simple being used to build more complex objects."
-I didn't think you defined basis, but were using the math definition. However, what Mike and Nick call a basis is insufficient to fully define their systems. Therefore, it is not a basis. This can be seen once they have a conflict between equitability and compassion. Extra "vectors" are needed to resolve the conflict.

--"Every law can be traced back to something like that."
-"All you are doing here is defining a basis to fit your rules."
-"Proof? I didn't define any basis."
-Humm, proof. Where will I ever find that? Perhaps here: "The basis for that would be mercy and fair play ... the basis for that being how we value human life ..."

--"... I don't believe I made any effort whatsoever to talk to you specifically in the first place ..."
-You QUOTED my post and then addressed it you idiot! I doesn't matter if you really wanted to post "behind my back."

--"I even have to ask myself "what made me talk that way?"
-I see I'm susposed to assume your full of shit, as opposed to assumming you are really trying point something out to me.

--Insulting rant ...
-Sorry Oberon, but I took your post at face value and attempted to address it assumming you were serious. If I made a mistake in interpreting it all you had to do is point that out. In addition, I took no offense from it. So in conclusion, if we are cool now then fine, however, if you want to insult me for replying to your post:
SCREW YOU BITCH :!:
Nova Andromeda
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Nova Andromeda wrote:delete me
Yeah, me too, heh. Not really, I think these posts have worth. Who among us is a master criminologist. But I re-read my post as soon as I submitted it and all I could think was "Good God, yak yak yak." :P
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
Nick
Jedi Knight

Still going in circles. . .

Post by Nick »

Nova Andromeda wrote:--"I don't think an entirely objective basis is possible ... Because our judgment of what constitutes 'good' or 'bad' consequences is itself based on our values!)."
No, it is in response to Nicholas Stipanovich's suggestion that an objective basis is possible. The above suggestion was related to the idea that, in order to evaluate what makes a group successful, we require some means for measuring 'success'. In that context, good means 'more likely to lead to success' and bad means 'likely to lead to failure'.

My opinion is that personal values are very likely to affect attempts to judge whether or not a particular group was 'successful'. Is it necessary for their genes to have spread widely? Or is it sufficient that their memes did so? What about one whose memes are totally gone, but still had a strong genetic presence? Is a successful group one that is still around, but may have little real power? One that dominated a large area, but self-destructed after a short period? One that was going well, but was overrun by invaders? One with large levels of inequality between different members?

Lots of judgement calls in there - hence why I question the objectivity of any conclusions drawn from such an analysis (note that I question the objectivity, not the utility. Such an analysis is, I believe, the most effective means of selecting a viable moral basis - and obviously, I also believe it leads to the conclusions Mike and I have drawn)
--"... Nova's framework is actually a justification for why morality is necessary at all ... what it does not really say is what goals need to be common to all entities (aside for the single point of 'all entities must subscribe to the code'). In doing so, I believe it falls short of a workable moral code by a significant step."
-First, you seem to have a different idea of what a moral code is than I do. I'm not even sure at what point in my system you would begin to call it a moral code. However, I understand a moral code to be any system that defines what a group considers good and bad.
Yes. Your system (as described so far) expressly refrains from making any value judgments about what goals it is legitimate for an entity to pursue.

A moral code is a voluntary restriction an individual places on their actions, for both their own benefit and the benefit of society (in fact, a better functioning society generally benefits the individuals within that society, so it could easily be said that a the latter beneifts also provide indirect benefitsto the individiual). It is the 'default setting' if you will, which obviates the need to do a full 'cost-benefit' analysis on possible courses of action - the moral code rules out numerous courses of action as being detrimental to society (and hence, indirectly detrimental to the individual).
-Second, my system expressly shows that inequitable treatment of entities, who understand and accept my system, for any reason will result in conflict with those entities. Restricting entities' goals certainly does this.
Restriction of acceptable goals is an essential aspect of any effective society. For example, it is not acceptable for one entity to seek to terminate the existence of another entity. So long as the restriction applies equally to all, then there is no inequity.
There will always be conflict between the needs of society and the goals of individuals. The trick is finding the right balance between the two (in general Western democracies such as Australia, the UK, Canada and the US seem to do a pretty good job. No doubt there are other examples).
-Third, I have not said "all entities must subscribe to the code." Instead, I described what the most useful system of interaction was between certain entities who had underfined goals. My system applies for any goal whether it be procreation, enjoyment of life, spinning in circles forever, killing others, suicide, etc.
-Fourth, I have not really described how the system would apply to interactions involving entities that did not fall into the narrow catagory I described. However, it is certainly possible to derive those additions, but only after one understands my system.
I was under the impression that one of your defining postulates was that the entities in the society subscribed to the code. However, whether this is the case or not, your framework is not a moral code, because it expressly refrains from making value judgments!
--"What is morality supposed to achieve?"
-You are begging the question here. Morality isn't necessarily "supposed" to achieve anything (see my system). However, many systems are designed to acheive the goals its designers wanted it to acheive.
*sigh* I'm sure I've said this before. Morality is the mechanism by which a group of diverse individuals are able to get along well enough to form something worthy of the name 'society'. If that isn't something with a purpose, I don't know what is.
--arguement for enforcing compassion ...
Strawman. I never said compassion should be enforced. I merely pointed out that a society which values compassion has significant advantages for both the individuals within that society and for the society as a whole.
-In the end, the strongest society will be the one in which all its members have only one goal. That goal being to support the community at all cost. However, it is a fact that those entities must start with that goal. Any attempt to enforce alignment to that goal will be a contest of power which will be a cost benefit analysis. It should be noted that natural selection favors entities that understand my system since it means they understand the problems with acting in an inequitable fashion with other entities and the benefits of acting cooperatively with other entities.
In other words, you agree with me. I wish for my society to be as strong as it can be. For that to happen, it is necessary for individuals within the society to recognise that, in the long run, they benefit greatly from a stable, smoothly functioning society. However, I can't control other individuals. All I can do is act as I see best (according to the moral basis already described) and attempt to persuade others to do the same. If a sufficiently large portion of the population subscribes to a certain set of morals, benefits to the society as a whole may be seen, even if the particular set of morals is not codified in law (that's all the law is anyway - a codification of a particular set of moral principles. Unfortunately, law-makers don't always get it right, hence the fact that 'illegal' does not necessarily imply 'immoral')

Basically, Mike and I take as a given the need for morality which you are arguing for! I stand by my previous assessment - your framework is a justification for why some form of morality is essential in creating a society from a bunch of independent entities each with their own (possibly conflicting) goals. Because it refrains from making judgments about which goals are acceptable and which are not, it is not, in and of itself, usable as a moral code (or as the basis for such a code)! The most useful means for finding a somewhat objective basis is to take a look at history and try to figure out the common characteristics of the societies that 'worked'.

And, just in case anyone hasn't figured it out by now, I figure a fairly straightforward summary of that analysis is "justice, tempered with mercy".
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Post by Nova Andromeda »

"-This arguement is non sequitur. Good and bad are words defined by one's moral system not the other way around. They have no affect on whether the underlying system is objective or not. "
-"No, it is in response to Nicholas Stipanovich's suggestion that an objective basis is possible."
-In this case let me ask you a question. What information do you wish to extract from history exactly? Let me make sure you realize that one's judgement of what was successful boils down to what their goal is. This is assumming you are not asking the question of what that past group was trying to accomplish. However, you do not appear to be asking that question at all, but judging other past groups based on your goals. In the end, all I think you are going to end up with is a set of agreements (according to my system) that was useful for accomplishing your goals in the context of interacting with humans.

--"... the moral code rules out numerous courses of action as being detrimental to society (and hence, indirectly detrimental to the individual) ..."
-That is not always true for the individual since we do not know what the goal of the individual is.

--"Restriction of acceptable goals is an essential aspect of any effective society."
-That is not true for the reasons I previously stated. Basically that restrictions on goals leads to conflict and any abridgement must be justified by there being no other courses of action that results in a lesser total abridgement. This type of analysis will generally not lead to the total restriction of a goal, but instead restrictions of various goals at various times for various entities. What you are looking at here is the result of contests of power in which one side has won and imposed its rules on the rest.

--"... it is not acceptable for one entity to seek to terminate the existence of another entity."
-It actually is under numerous circumstances. It is acceptable when the cost of ending that entity's existance is less than the cost of not ending that entity's existance. For instance it is acceptable to kill an entity infected with a virus when not killing that entity would cost more than the cost of killing that entity (e.g., 10 other entities).

--"So long as the restriction applies equally to all, then there is no inequity. "
-This is wrong as well. It will probably not be equitable since that is determined by an individual's goal.

--"... your framework is not a moral code, because it expressly refrains from making value judgments! "
-It is according to the merian-webster definition of moral: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary. The reason for this is that it allows an entity to determine if an action is the right one or the wrong one. That is from an entity's perspective it defines good and bad. In addition, it covers large groups of entities and their interactions. However, this is just a matter of sorting out the definitions of the words we are using.

--"Strawman. I never said compassion should be enforced."
-If your moral code is based partly on compassion how do you avoid biasing the system in favor of those whose goals match being compassionate? You might argue that those entities who don't agree to this would not be subject to your moral code, but history has yet to show that was ever the case.

--"In other words, you agree with me."
-Well, I'm not entirely sure about this. I don't see any reason why both your system and Mike's don't fit entirely within my system. However, according to my system any group of entities that meet my criteria and agree to either your or Mike's basis should still obey the rules of equitability with other entities (they could of course use their combined power to accomplish their goals, but this has other problems I haven't touched on yet). Thus what you and Mike seem to call a moral code is just a set of agreements between groups of humans under my system (assumming power isn't used in an inequitable fashion against those who don't agree).

--Well, IMO, this discussion is entirely worth while. Too bad Mike doesn't participate more.
Nova Andromeda
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Oh come on Viking, it's your thread. I want to know precisely how you decide which parts of the Bible you do and do not like.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Nova Andromeda wrote:In the end, all I think you are going to end up with is a set of agreements (according to my system) that was useful for accomplishing your goals in the context of interacting with humans.
'All'? That's a pretty big bloody 'all'. But yes, that is what you are going to end up with. And I suspect the two biggest things you will find are the need to act with sympathy (consider where others are coming from) and a sense of fairness (the Golden Rule and suchlike).
--"... the moral code rules out numerous courses of action as being detrimental to society (and hence, indirectly detrimental to the individual) ..."
-That is not always true for the individual since we do not know what the goal of the individual is.
If the individual fails to recognise that their fate is inextricably linked with that of the society they live in, then that individual bloody well deserves everything that happens to them.

The individual may think the detrimental effect they are having on society causes no harm to them - almost always, such an attitude is short sighted. More importantly, if a large number of members of the society adopt the same attitude, then the society will disintegrate. Now, if the society has reached the point where it is no longer providing appropriate benefits to its members, then it may be entirely appropriate for an individual to actively seek the disintegration of the society. Usually, such an individual is hoping or planning that what replaces it will be an improvement (such lofty goals, of course, are not always attained).
--"Restriction of acceptable goals is an essential aspect of any effective society."
-That is not true for the reasons I previously stated. Basically that restrictions on goals leads to conflict and any abridgement must be justified by there being no other courses of action that results in a lesser total abridgement. This type of analysis will generally not lead to the total restriction of a goal, but instead restrictions of various goals at various times for various entities. What you are looking at here is the result of contests of power in which one side has won and imposed its rules on the rest.
So you utterly reject the idea of an informed consensus? You believe that every argument must have a 'winner' and a 'loser'? That it is never possible for two intelligent individuals to sit down and say 'Right, if we both hold out for our original positions, we're both going to end up losing. However, in this particular scenario, we both get the things we _really_ want, and each give up on stuff we might have liked to get'

If you go through life believing that everything is a contest, and there always has to be a winner and a loser, you're going to have a pretty rough time of it.

On the point that blanket bans of particular activities are rarely the right solution - you're absolutely right. But agreements on what restrictions are most beneficial to society as a whole and to the individual members of the society may be reached by informed consensus rather than by imposition by authority (Note: In practice, in large scale states, we do not yet have the mechanisms to seek informed consensus on most issues. Hence, the democratic system where the informed must persuade the clueless, in the form of our duly elected political representatives. To paraphrase Mr Churchill 'Democracy is the worst possible form of government, except for the other forms which have been tried from time to time)
--"... it is not acceptable for one entity to seek to terminate the existence of another entity."
-It actually is under numerous circumstances. It is acceptable when the cost of ending that entity's existance is less than the cost of not ending that entity's existance. For instance it is acceptable to kill an entity infected with a virus when not killing that entity would cost more than the cost of killing that entity (e.g., 10 other entities).
Yeah, bad example. However (just to follow our little red herring a little further, since its an interesting looking fish), notice that it is necessary to justify the individual's termination on the basis of benefit to society. I would argue that a more ethical alternative would be to offer the individual a choice - lifetime quarantine, or immediate termination.

This is because NO society should have the capacity to completely trample over its individual citizens. That, however, is a moral judgment - and quite possibly one you would disagree with. (Other issues, such as the possibility of a cure further along the line, the ability to investigate the nature and course of the disease, and the other benefits of keeping the individual alive would also require consideration)
--"So long as the restriction applies equally to all, then there is no inequity. "
-This is wrong as well. It will probably not be equitable since that is determined by an individual's goal.
You define equitable differently from me, then.

Being equal means that the restriction applies to every member of the society.

Now obviously, the impact of this on each individual is going to depend on how it matches up with the individual's goals.

Taking into account the individual position of each entity is a matter of compassion (Remember? That thing you said - or seemed to say - wasn't necessary?)

Let's take 3 hypothetical situations (using societal law, rather than an individual's moral code):
In all cases, a house has been robbed (through a window that was left open). $250 cash and $500 worth of CD's were stolen.

In case 1, the thief is a 35 year old male, with a criminal record longer than you are tall. He's on parole from a stint in prison for armed robbery. He stole the stuff, because he saw the open window and decided to pop inside for a look around. (In his words 'He couldn't help himself', so he did).

In case 2, the thief is a 19 year old male. He stole the stuff as part of a gang initiation process.

In case 3, the thief is an 18 year old male. He stole the stuff in order to get money for food for himself and his kid sister - they've been out on the streets for months, running away from an intolerable family situation.

The fact is, all three are equally guilty. They have all commited the exact same property violations. If the law is equitable, it must adjudge all three of them guilty.

Where the compassion comes in is that the law should take into account the individual circumstances when it comes to sentencing (Aside/mini-rant: this is why mandatory sentencing in the Northern Territory is such a dumb idea).
--"... your framework is not a moral code, because it expressly refrains from making value judgments! "
-It is according to the merian-webster definition of moral: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary. The reason for this is that it allows an entity to determine if an action is the right one or the wrong one. That is from an entity's perspective it defines good and bad. In addition, it covers large groups of entities and their interactions. However, this is just a matter of sorting out the definitions of the words we are using.
A moral code, to my mind, is only related to this definition: "1.c: conforming to a standard of right behavior"

The moral code is the 'standard of right behaviour' that determines whether or not a particular action is morally acceptable or not.

Given the complexity of the world, it is necessary for this moral code to have a moral basis which can be used to extrapolate the implications of the moral code on a given situation. (As said earlier, it is not possibly to enumerate all possible scenarios a priori - the only practical mechanism is to have a bunch of basic, general extrapolations, and then do the more complex analyses on a case-by-case basis).

Your framework fails to provide a 'standard of right behaviour', since it provides no direction as to what is right or wrong. If two people agree on a moral basis, even if their extrapolation of the code applicable to a given circumstance differs (hence they differ in their definitions or right or wrong in a particular situation), they are able to enter into a productive dialogue, because they are both working from the same basis (one convinces the other that their extrapolation is correct, they come to a 'middle road' somewhere between their two positions, or, they agree to disagree, and each acts according to their own extrapolation).

With your system, because it does not incorporate a basis, two individuals subscribing to it might have completely conflicting 'moral codes', and no real basis for entering into discussion. Hence, your system merely defines the necessity for each individual to have a moral code, and that it is likely to benefit the society if there is some commonality between individual's moral codes. It falls short, in that it makes no attempt to specify the minimal content of a moral code which is likely to lead to the greatest benefits for the individual and for the society at large..
--"Strawman. I never said compassion should be enforced."
-If your moral code is based partly on compassion how do you avoid biasing the system in favor of those whose goals match being compassionate? You might argue that those entities who don't agree to this would not be subject to your moral code, but history has yet to show that was ever the case.
Err, what? There is a difference between 'You will do this because some authority said so' (enforcement) and 'You should do this because social dynamics mean it will probably work out to be to your benefit anyway' (umm, I don't know of any word for that except self-interest).

Individuals can choose to reject some part of their society's common morals. Sometimes such a choice has consequences (depending on the society and the particular matter in question), but the individual chooses to bear those consequences. C'est la vie.
--"In other words, you agree with me."
-Well, I'm not entirely sure about this. I don't see any reason why both your system and Mike's don't fit entirely within my system. However, according to my system any group of entities that meet my criteria and agree to either your or Mike's basis should still obey the rules of equitability with other entities (they could of course use their combined power to accomplish their goals, but this has other problems I haven't touched on yet). Thus what you and Mike seem to call a moral code is just a set of agreements between groups of humans under my system (assumming power isn't used in an inequitable fashion against those who don't agree).
Yes - as I said earlier, I believe your framework serves as a justification for why moral codes (including ones which individual's do not consciously articulate) are necessary in the first place.
I then believe the next step is to determine an appropriate moral basis (and history is a good source of ideas for that).
Once the moral basis is determined, then the moral code itself takes the form of extrapolations from the basis to either general (for short hand rule-of-thumb judgment calls) or specific situations (for trying to answer the tough moral quandaries). You can either carry out those extrapolations yourself, or else borrow valid extrapolations from someone who shares your moral basis (After all, why bother reinventing the wheel?).

Note that this actually encourages diversity, since it is possible to have two perfectly legitimate extrapolations from the same moral basis - the differences are likely to come from varying perceptions of the likelihood of different consequences. It also encourages the review of moral decisions as new information comes to light (since the new information will affect the extrapolation). Interesting discussion and results are also to be found in questioning the moral basis - some will question the inclusion for various elements (such as compassion), some might argue that other things ('animals are people too'!) should be added. Sometimes it is possible to select different moral bases, and justify the same actions in a given situation - the reasoning is different, but the effective outcome is the same. However, that doesn't change the fact that each individual still needs to subscribe to their own moral code - the ability to understand and accept others' points of view doesn't change that (although it may alter the content of the moral code!)

Something to note: I will often make analogies using law and criminal charges - potentially implying that I equate law and morality. I don't. Someone once said 'You cannot legislate morality', and they were right (unfortunately, this hasn't stopped plenty of people from trying). In the discussion above, the law most emphatically falls into the category of enforcement. Consequently, it should be reserved for those things which have been identified by the society as out-and-out unacceptable. For things which are the subject of significant debate, or which are none of the state's business, the law should butt out, and leave the question to individual morality. That of course begs the question, "Then why use those analogies?" Generally, I use them because I can't come up with a better way of illustrating a particular point
--Well, IMO, this discussion is entirely worth while. Too bad Mike doesn't participate more.
True (to both parts). I'd definitely be interested in hearing what Mike has to say about where we've got to now. *shrug* I'm guessing he lost interest around (or even before) the time I suggested we were at an impasse. :)
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

A moral code, to my mind, is only related to this definition: "1.c: conforming to a standard of right behavior"

The moral code is the 'standard of right behaviour' that determines whether or not a particular action is morally acceptable or not.
Well, I must say that is a failure of concept.
In the way to analyze a society, moral code is just "the rules of behaviador of a society". They are neither right or wrong.
A example is , slavery was not moraly wrong in the western until the 19th century like its now. Inside that particular society, that rules was the right behaviador.
In other hand, the Ethic is a "super-moral" code , which does not change and apply to every world which is by definition the "right" one. One basead on respect and fairness and all that.
Perhaps you two are missing the point of each other because the need to define what is moral be mixed with the definition of what is your moral code ?
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

lgot wrote:

Well, I must say that is a failure of concept.
In the way to analyze a society, moral code is just "the rules of behaviador of a society". They are neither right or wrong.
A example is , slavery was not moraly wrong in the western until the 19th century like its now. Inside that particular society, that rules was the right behaviador.
In other hand, the Ethic is a "super-moral" code , which does not change and apply to every world which is by definition the "right" one. One basead on respect and fairness and all that.
Perhaps you two are missing the point of each other because the need to define what is moral be mixed with the definition of what is your moral code ?
Igot, the distinction between the term 'morality' and the term 'ethics' is nowhere near as clear cut as you are making out.

Anyone's moral code is always going to be limited by their current understanding of the world - hence the need to continually revisit your code as you gain knowledge and experience. So slavery is wrong, and always has been wrong, but someone whose preconceptions are sufficiently different isn't going to be able to understand that. There is no self-evident 'super-moral' code that everyone instinctively recognises - rather, it is a matter of having sufficient confidence in the correctness of your moral judgment that you believe it to be a universal truth, rather than a mere personal whim. There is always a balancing act between 'there is a right way, and I have a good idea what it is' and 'there are many right ways, and I acknowledge this may be one of them'. In the first case, the individual has a responsibility to encourage moral behaviour, in the second, an obligation to respect differences. Figuring out which reaction is appropriate in a given circumstance is often a difficult task (and hence why moral judgments of others should always be made with caution).

The matter of ethics often overlaps with morality, but is more often used in the sense of 'professional ethics'. In this case, it is a matter of conforming to a code of conduct for a particular profession. For example, the code of ethics for a medical doctor is going to be significantly different from that for a civil engineer, or a university lecturer or a corporate CEO. An action which may be arguably moral, may also be definitively unethical (for example, a corporate CEO embezzling company funds in order to give them to charity). Similarly, an action which is perfectly ethical may still be immoral (sorry, can't think of a good hypothetical example).

In short, there is a difference between ethics and morality, but it isn't what you think it is, and the two areas have a tendency to bleed into each other anyway. Generally speaking, the simplest method is to treat the two terms as roughly synonymous - with morality emphasising the personal and social aspects, and ethics emphasising the professional and legal aspects.

Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

I try to be a could person, not because some all-powerful invisible man tells me to do so, or burn in hell, but because I am a good person in the first place. (at least i think so.)
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

Igot, the distinction between the term 'morality' and the term 'ethics' is nowhere near as clear cut as you are making out.
No, not clear cut. But that was the distinction. The academic use for social science , as antropology, of Ethic and moral (if you had a class of Ethic and Moral) that is how it will be used.
Ethics are universal yes. There is no example of ethics changing with society and time.
Moral codes do and are relative. An Antropologist that faces a society will have to understand the moral code, not judge them, so he use this relativness.

As the Slavery:
No one say the Moral code is not basead upon pre-conceptions. It can be.
But Slavery was morally correct for centuries in many places. No one stoped to think about the wrongs to deal with a captured enemy. And you probally know enough stories of justifications :
"We are bringing them culture and development" "We are bringing them God" "They have no soul anyways" "The are inferior to us, like a animal", "I treat my slaves very well, they are happy to have me as a master", etc. Those are all justifications to please the morality of the society. Aka, The no soul thing. But to the moral rules of them, a good christian would have to treat well and tolerate. So, they took of the soul to justify it in their moral code, making Slavery moral in that time.

The matter of ethics often overlaps with morality, but is more often used in the sense of 'professional ethics'. In
Good example of comum use the words. The Medical or lawyer "ethics" are example of moral code of behaviador of a restrict group in an restrict sittuation.
An action which may be arguably moral, may also be definitively unethical (for example, a corporate CEO embezzling company funds in order to give them to charity).
True. Exactly.
In the places with death sentece is moral to punish criminals with death. But its not ethical. Its never ethical to kill. A examlpe where there is no proffesional aspect.
More,its not ethical to allow KKK to be free to do their public speaches ,etc because what they do is a violent agression to a human group. But it is moral in USA because the freedom of speach.
and there goes.

Similarly, an action which is perfectly ethical may still be immoral (sorry, can't think of a good hypothetical example)
Gay Discrimination. It was (and sometime still) Immoral to some society the public Gay. But its is ethical.
There is nothing against the ethic to have sex in public. But its very immoral.
And there goes.
In short, there is a difference between ethics and morality, but it isn't what you think it is, and the two areas have a tendency to bleed into each other anyway. Generally speaking, the simplest method is to treat the two terms as roughly synonymous - with morality emphasising the personal and social aspects, and ethics emphasising the professional and legal aspects.
no, the ethics are not only to professional and legal aspects.
Ethic rule : Do not harm any other human being. It is not limited to professional and legal aspects.
And plus, professional and legal aspects are under the social aspects...
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

lgot wrote:
Generally speaking, the simplest method is to treat the two terms as roughly synonymous - with morality emphasising the personal and social aspects, and ethics emphasising the professional and legal aspects.
no, the ethics are not only to professional and legal aspects.
Ethic rule : Do not harm any other human being. It is not limited to professional and legal aspects.
And plus, professional and legal aspects are under the social aspects...
What part of 'roughly synonymous' did you fail to understand?

In common usage, the terms ethics and morality are damn near interchangeable - fine distinctions may only be made when they are given clearly defined meanings (such as the ones you attribute to anthropology - although I would have little respect for an anthropologist who attached much significance to any such semantic game).

However, in common usage, it is usual to see the term 'ethics' used when discussing professional, corporate and legal matters (you can get sued for a breach of ethics, but not for being immoral), and the term 'morality' used for more personal matters and when discussing 'social mores' which are accepted by society in general, but not necessarily articulated as law.

That doesn't change the fact that ethics and morality are both talking about the same thing - attempting to determine which courses of action are 'right' and which are 'wrong'.

Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Grandpa Simpson Story

Post by Steven Snyder »

This reminds me of a time, way back when...

I logged on to the Yahoo chatrooms into the Xtian area. I told everyone that I had a serious question, and everyone got strangely quiet and asked what it was.

I told them that I had been reading the bible, the part where it says 'Thou shall not suffer a witch to live'. They knew what part I was talking about, so I continued on and told them that the neighbor girl told me she was a Wiccan and was a witch. Now some of these dolts were able to fill in the dots, but before they could really say anything I kept going. I told them all that I was thinking of killing that girl because 'It was God's work'. Now all of the sudden, these Xtians were just losing it, telling me NOT to do it. I told them again that it was God's will, and they told me that I was somehow misinterpreting it, but they couldn't answer how I was doing that. Then they told me that it was illegal and I would be hauled into jail for murder and executed...So I told them that since it was God's work that he would reward me in heaven for it and the execution would be just like what Jesus faced when he defied the Romans and did what God wanted.

Oh well...just thought I would share that with all of you..
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Just another example of extreme violence in the bible and of the hypocrisy of religion.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--I'm still following this thread, but I've been studying for my second year exam (similar to orals) which I took today. I should be albe to respond pretty soon (not that anyone is dying to hear from me ... ;-) ).
Nova Andromeda
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

What part of 'roughly synonymous' did you fail to understand?

In common usage, the terms ethics and morality are damn near interchangeable - fine distinctions may only be made when they are given clearly defined meanings (such as the ones you attribute to anthropology - although I would have little respect for an anthropologist who attached much significance to any such semantic game).
I understand well what you meant. I did not needed to repeat it, just pointed out that ethic have no such limitation. But in other hand, its not necessary to keep it, because I understand your interpretation of the subject.

Please, do not think bad of them. Its mine the semantic nitpicking. But I must tell, that is how I would address the subject, since that is how I learned to, and not use the common usage.
But If you remember my first post, that was what I said, a mistaken of concept and that is why I think you and andromeda could not find a agreement. You are both using different definitions of Moral. You use what is correct way to behave and he use the behaviador rules for society.

However, in common usage, it is usual to see the term 'ethics' used when discussing professional, corporate and legal matters (you can get sued for a breach of ethics, but not for being immoral), and the term 'morality' used for more personal matters and when discussing 'social mores' which are accepted by society in general, but not necessarily articulated as law.
Well, despite the sue example not being good, I understand you meant the sittuation that a doctor lost his license to pratice medicine for break of the ethics regulamentations of the Medicine. But like I pointed I meant the other use of the terms and is quite not useful for us to argue over our pespectives.
That doesn't change the fact that ethics and morality are both talking about the same thing - attempting to determine which courses of action are 'right' and which are 'wrong'.
Totally correct. I never said otherwise. I just said what is moral is relative to different groups and societies and Ethic does not change with those.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

lgot wrote:Totally correct. I never said otherwise. I just said what is moral is relative to different groups and societies and Ethic does not change with those.
I'd probably describe that as the difference between understanding why a particular society holds certain views, and actually condoning those views. (I.e. the distinction between my knowing what their moral code is/was, and my evaluating their moral code in light of my own. If there is any such thing as a 'universal moral code' or 'ethic', then the closest we can ever get to it is our own moral judgment)

As you say, it appears all we (meaning Igot and me) have is a difference in terminology, rather than anything of substance :)

As for myself and Nova, well, I still think my characterisation of Nova's system as a justification for why morality is valuable in the first place is accurate.

lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

heh :) fine.
I was just making this reference, that you both have come very close to a agreement and in my opinion, just lack of understanding of what each other used a meaning to moral make you both do not get there. Nothing else I guess to add about subject anyways...
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

GAP,

Sorry that I didn't get back to you earlier. Anyhow, I checked out that quote that you mentioned earlier 2 Kings 2:23-24. I'll quote it here (your version)in its entirety:

2 Kings 2 23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. 24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

And here are your two questions:
1 - Is it right to feed children to bears as described above? 2 - What standard did you use to arrive at an answer for question one? - GAP
According to what I dug up, the words "little children" is an incorrect translation. It should read "young men". That is, they are of age to tell the difference between right and wrong. As well, the young men were mocking Elisha in two ways, 1) "Go up" - the miracle that God did with Elijah and 2) "bald head" Elisha's bald head (which from what I've found is an expression of contempt. It also could mean that having a bald head was considered a physical deformity).

So to answer your question #1 GrandAdmiralPrawn, I ask you this. What would give me the right to walk up to a crippled Buddhist monk and make fun of his belief in a miracle, his god, and also his physical deformities? For #2, I believe that should show respect of another person's beliefs, even if you completely disagree with it.

See you later...

Edit: Upon reviewing my answer for #1, I think that I perhaps didn't answer your question fully GAP. That is, I think your real question is (if I am understanding you correctly) "Is is right for God to have bears eat people?" People, that is, who make fun of old, bald men and their beliefs. Is that what you're driving at here? So then, you are asking me to judge whether God or not made a right decision in this particular situation? I hope we are on the same page here.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

So to answer your question #1 GrandAdmiralPrawn, I ask you this. What would give me the right to walk up to a crippled Buddhist monk and make fun of his belief in a miracle, his god, and also his physical deformities? For #2, I believe that should show respect of another person's beliefs, even if you completely disagree with it.
Sure people do it all the time but you don't see anyone gunning them down if they do it

Since when did insults by those who don't know any better, Hell prehaps that was the first time they ever saw the guy, Not like that got a chance agian thanks to that Loving God....

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kolinar Romanov
Youngling

Post by Kolinar Romanov »

Where do athiests get the ethics from ? Many sources, though one of prime faves is the famed 19th century German philosopher, Frederick Nietsczhe. As mch as I'm not athiest, I believe that Nietsczhe has a very strong opiniion, esp. concerning beast, mand, and superman.

We should all strive to be ubermensch.
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

Mr. Bean,

I see where you are coming from. My reading though of this passage within its context and accompanying study notes indicates that the young men were aware of Elisha. That is, Elisha's reputation preceeded him. For example, it would be like me heckling the Pope. Would I get in trouble for doing that? Possibly.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I dont care if they accused his mother of being a Hamster the point still is they called him Bald and where killed for it

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton