Where do atheists get their moral code?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

The logical conclusion is: one's own code of morality can stand apart from the Bible and can serve as a basis to judge it and other sacred works and other moral codes? - XPViking
Is that a question or a statement? - Durandel
Ha ha! I see what you mean. I'm hedging my bets, but I'm pretty sure that is the logical conclusion Mr. Wong was looking for. Does that sound right to you?

I would like to thank all of you for your excellent comments, suggestions and banter. Especially to Nick for giving me the benefit of doubt in the very beginning. I truly hope that this thread does not degrade. For now, I'll withdraw and think about what has been said here.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I think it's more where you come from than what religion you are. Most people I know have more or less the same moral code, be they atheist, muslim, buddhist whatever else there is...

Examples:

The muslims I've met have all been decent, friendly people. They enjoy their footy, and really the only difference between their lifestyle and mine (apart from the whole them being muslim and me being atheist thing) was that they ate all this yummy lebannese food. Muslims from, say, Iraq or Palestine would probably have very different moral codes, etc.

Same goes for Jews here and in Israel.

A girl in my soccer team's from scandanavia, and often complains about the way we react to nudity. Over there, if people need to change their clothes, they simply do it, but in Australia we're a bit more uptight.

Out of curiosity, XPV, what's the demographic makeup of wehre you live? Is it mainly the same religion?

I apologise if none of that made sense. I got hit in the head in soccer today and am a bit woozy and should probably be in bed. It's just that I've been busy and haven't posted in a while and want everyone to know that I still exist.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I think it's more where you come from than what religion you are. Most people I know have more or less the same moral code, be they atheist, muslim, buddhist whatever else there is...

Examples:

The muslims I've met have all been decent, friendly people. They enjoy their footy, and really the only difference between their lifestyle and mine (apart from the whole them being muslim and me being atheist thing) was that they ate all this yummy lebannese food. Muslims from, say, Iraq or Palestine would probably have very different moral codes, etc.

A girl in my soccer team's from scandanavia, and often complains about the way we react to nudity. Over there, if people need to change their clothes, they simply do it, but in Australia we're a bit more uptight.

Out of curiosity, XPV, what's the demographic makeup of wehre you live? Is it mainly the same religion?

I apologise if none of that made sense. I got hit in the head in soccer today and am a bit woozy and should probably be in bed. It's just that I've been busy and haven't posted in a while and want everyone to know that I still exist.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Examples:

- Darth Wong
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

whoops! see what I mean! I was hit in the head.
- Darth Wong
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

Lusankya,

At the top of my head, I believe there are about 40% Buddhist, 40-45% Christian (including Catholics and Protestants), 10% Confucian, and 10% Shamanism. But I'm sure someone can verify this about South Korea.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Nova Andromeda wrote:--:... basis of a set of rules must be simple ... even if the rules derived from them are not."
-In other words we agree that the final system of rules may not be simple.
In any truly moral system, it can't be - because the rules would have to account for every possible case. However, every possible case can't be known in advance, so. . .

This is actually the origin of the common distinction between the "letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law". It is necessary to know both the code and the basis that the code was developed from.
--"Your system is much too complex to be useful as a basis."
-You will have to explain why this is because it is not so complex that it cannot be understood or used to derive law.
Nova, not to be overly immodest, but if Mike and my brains start to melt before we get all the way through, then it's a fair bet that what you have is too complex.

I would describe what you have as an attempt at justifying a basis, not as a basis itself (what I think your basis is, we'll get to below).
--"You define "equitability" as the only core truth ..."
-This is strawman. I do not define equitability as a core truth, I show that it is best one can obtain when dealing with sufficiently intelligent and truly rational entities whose power falls within a certain range. Failer to accept this leads to power struggles which I have shown is not the best way to obtain one's goal.
And hence, the basis of your system is to enable each entity to engage in the pursuit of its goals, without undue advantage being given to any entity. In other words, the basis is that the system should be equitable (fair to all), and what you have written is the justification for why equitability is a desirable thing.
--"... equitability without sympathy is not moral either. "
-Only as defined by your system of morality. That type of reasoning is circular.
As Mike already said, a system of morality can only truly be judged by its consequences. However, I can tell you now that the flaw in your system - the flaw Mike is pointing out when he says that it lacks any recognition of sympathy - is that it leads to an attitude of "and may the Devil take the hindmost". It doesn't take into account the entities emotional well-being, and so forth. And so, to make it clear, the simplest means is to add 'sympathy' or 'avoiding unnecessary suffering' to the desirable bases.
--"... concepts of sympathy and a sense of fairness (ie- equitability) are virtually universal to worldwide moral codes."
-You of all people should not use shameless appeals to the majority... :)
Actually, appeals to the majority are legitimate in this case. Why? Because it is an example of an emergent phenomena. The reason appeals to the majority are usually fallacious is because the majority's opinion often comes from a single or a small number of misinformed sources. If the majority is possibly misinforned, then their opinion is useless as the basis for an argument.

The thing about the emergence of sympathy and a sense of fairness as the basis for moral and legal codes, is that it happened again and again, in lots of different places, rediscovered by people all over the world, at many different times in history. And that is what makes the univerality of these two concepts significant - that they are fundamental to the organisation of humans into effective, cooperating, groups.
--"No, I'm saying that complex systems lose you in the detail, when they really devolve from one or two basic assumptions (just as yours does)."
-You are still beating up on a strawman. My starting premise is that there are intelligent entities with goals that cannot be accomplished using their own power. The idea of equitability is derived from that analysis. My system is not just dogma and legalise and only stupid people would believe it is (perhaps that is where my "ridiculous strawman" came from). If it can be shown that equitability or any other conclusion I have arrived at does not follow from the basic premises (i.e., the nature of intelligent entities which have a goal and lack the power to accomplish said goal) then the system would have to modified or discarded entirely.
Yes. Hence my opinion that what you have is a justification for the basis, not the basis itself.
--"I have stated no `system' at all ..."
-However, you are confined by your basis. I don't need to know all the details. Your system is one based on "... sympathy and a sense of fairness." If I show the basis itself is flawed then your system must be flawed as well.
Again, correct. Once again, we confront the concept of justifying the basis. Somewhere earlier in this thread I listed the three things that, for me, justify the use of "sympathy and a sense of fairness" as the basis for a moral code. The interesting thing is, though, that it isn't necessary for someone else to agree with my justification for that moral basis, in order to agree with the moral basis itself.

When all is said and done, the justification simply doesn't matter. It may be a useful tool for persuading someone that a particular basis is valuable or worthwhile, but it adds nothing to the basis. And it is from the basis that the moral code can be derived.
--Rant on legalism.
-You have hopeless confused the subject here. I'm not working backwards from the rules to the moral basis of the rules. In addition, I have not simply assumed the rules are correct and moved on from there.
True on both points - I think, in calling it a moral system, Mike has mischaracterised what you wrote. However, that doesn't mean I agree that what you have is a moral basis either.

As you yourself say as your second point above, what you have is an attempt at justifying a particular moral basis. Unfortunately, you have put the cart before the horse, in not specifying what the basis actually is before attempting to justify it. I've tried that, and it doesn't work - what happens is you implicitly assume a basis and start trying to justify that rather than discovering some fundamental self-evident moral basis. In this case, the basis you appear to have chosen is equitability.
--"... the effectiveness of any system can and should be judged by observation rather than philosophical debate."
-Who said otherwise? Sounds to me like you would simply like skip any debate about your basis. Indeed you would like to take those observations and judge them under your system using your criteria for what is good and what is bad. However, you have yet to show that your criteria are better than mine. The fact of the matter is that they are not. Your criteria are derived from a basis defined as sympathy and fairness. My criteria are derived solely from observation, logic, reason, and the existance of any type of goal. My system attempts to maximize an entity's abilities to accomplish its goal regardless of the nature of goal. Your system attempts to enforce sympathy and an assummed idea of fairness. It is therefore limited to people who have goals consistant with sympathy and fairness. Everyone else will be in conflict with your system (e.g., anyone who doesn't want to be forced to be sympathetic). The resulting conflict means fewer entities will be able to accomplish their goals under your system than under my system. This makes your system inferior IMO.
Actually Nova, your system assumes that every entity should be equally entitled to pursue its goals, and then proceeds to justify why a common acceptance of that basis is valuable from the point of view of each individual entity within the system.

I can (and have) done the same for "sympathy and a sense of fairness", by assuming that it is the goal of each entity to achieve an 'enjoyable life' for itself and for its descendants. The thing with that system, is that it seeks to minimise the interference between entities by ensuring each entitiy treats the others as that entity would want to be treated.

--"And if you think that sympathy and a sense of fairness "cannot be defended on its own merits", then you have taken a left turn from reality and found yourself in the Twilight Zone."
-You have taken that quote out of context. The system I was referring to was one in which a basis is simply defined according to the desire of the designer. In your case it is "sympathy and a sense of fairness." It could just as easily be serving God.
-You have yet to show why everyone must accept sympathy and fairness as a sufficient basis. The problem is that as soon as you do sympathy and fairness are no longer the basis are they? In fact, once you do defend them you will probably end up with an analysis similar if not equivalent to mine.
And hence, you reveal that what we are truly discussing is the justification for the moral basis, rather than the moral basis itself.

And the point is, if people agree on the basis, then the justification doesn't matter. There can be as many different justifications as there are people (and in fact, it is entirely possible that the justifications may outnumber the people), and it still won't matter. The only use for the justifications is to convince people who don't already agree with the basis - and, since humans have an instinctive belief in the idea of "sympathy and a sense of fairness", the intellectual arguments generally aren't required.
--Whatever happens with this debate the only way I lose is if it turns into a flame war and I don't gain any useful feedback... :twisted:
Can't argue with that! :D
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Response to Nick...

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--"... every possible case can't be known in advance, so. . ."
-So what? It is possible to develope a set of rules to cover all possibilties just as it is possible to have an equations in math that cover an entire space.

--"This is actually the origin of the common distinction between the `letter of the law' and the `spirit of the law'."
-My distinction between "the letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law" is very different. Under my system if it was shown that what was on the books differed from the principles it was derived from then what was on the books would have to be changed.

--"... it's a fair bet that what you have is too complex."
-What you suggest is people are to dumb to understand my system as opposed to something like the system being to complex to solve for a given situation (which it is not).

--"... what you have as an attempt at justifying a basis, ..."
-Actually, I fail to understand how you can call something a basis when it is not the true basis. In fact, the observations/assumptions of the justification are the true basis.

--"In other words, the basis is that the system should be equitable (fair to all), ..."
-No this is a derivation not the basis. In addition, mine is just one derivation of what is equitable and fair and it is narrowly defined. To simply say the system should be equitable is not enough. Equitable must well defined.

--"... it leads to an attitude of "and may the Devil take the hindmost."
-The unfortunate are just that: unfortunate. My system actually encourages things like insurance and coorporativity which ameliorate bad luck because noone looses. As soon as you enforce sympathy you destroy what I derived as equitable by taking from the fortuante by force to give to the unfortunate.

--"It doesn't take into account the entities emotional well-being, and so forth."
-Of course it does. An entity's emotions generally affect the nature of an entity's goal. Even if this is not the case as soon as you try to tell me what my goals should be you are using your power and biasing the system against me. At that point we are back to a contest of power.

--"Actually, appeals to the majority are legitimate in this case. "
-No they are not legitimate. All you have done is shown that most humans have similar goals which have been used to simplify moral codes. However, such simplifications must be agreed to or we are back to a contest of power. You have to remember that I'm talking about a general moral code and not just one for humans (that must come after the general code is determined).

--"... it isn't necessary for someone else to agree with my justification for that moral basis, in order to agree with the moral basis itself ."
-Except I don't agree with your basis do I? Looks like you still have to justify it.

--"... you have put the cart before the horse, in not specifying what the basis actually is before attempting to justify it."
-I have not. Using your method one simply picks a basis without justification (which seems irrational to me). In my system, one makes observations and uses logic and reason to figure out the equivalent of a moral system (perhaps finding a simple intermediate step).

--"... what happens is you implicitly assume a basis ..."
-Again, this only happens using your method for the development of a moral system. Use my method and your problems will disappear.

--"Actually Nova, your system assumes that every entity should be equally entitled to pursue its goals ..."
-You've mixed the whole process up. In fact, my system makes the observation that every entity will pursue its goal regardless to the extent its power allows it. Any attempt by other entities to prevent this will result in a contest of power. I will not repeat when and why an entity wants to avoid a contest of power.

--"I can (and have) done the same for `sympathy and a sense of fairness', by assuming that it is the goal of each entity to achieve an 'enjoyable life' for itself and for its descendants."
-By assumming each entity has such a goal you have vastly over simplified the problem at hand and your analysis is limited to very specific situations where that assumption is correct. People have to face the fact that life is not so simple.

--"... what we are truly discussing is the justification for the moral basis ..."
-Well what you consider as a basis is not the same as what I consider as a basis. It really makes no difference in the end what you call the things we are discussing. IMO a basis should consist of the things that cannot be derived. We just have to be sure we understand each other.

--"And the point is, if people agree on the basis, then the justification doesn't matter ."
-As I've stated previously, I don't agree with your basis and you are going to have to defend it. What you and everyone else agree upon isn't a useful arguement in trying to convince me either.

--Thanks, again for the feedback Nick :!:
Last edited by Nova Andromeda on 2002-08-05 12:12am, edited 4 times in total.
Nova Andromeda
Nick
Jedi Knight

Re: Response to Nick...

Post by Nick »

Nova, it would appear we have an impasse.

You believe that there is such a thing as an objectively identifiable basis for a moral code.

I do not - I believe the basis must be selected a priori. A workable society becomes feasible when the bases used by different members of society are sufficiently similar for them to interact profitably. The only useful precedent I see in selecting a basis is that which has been observed to be fundamental to successful human endeavour.

We could argue this point for a while, but you aren't going to convince me, and I very much doubt I could convince you. So, happy hunting :)
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: Where do atheists get their moral code?

Post by His Divine Shadow »

XPViking wrote:Firstly, I'm not sure if atheists here in this forum like to be called "atheists" due to possible negative connotations. So, as a group, how do you like to be called? Secular humanists?Or do each of you have your own particular term? I really don't know.
Evil beyond belief suits me fine.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--Are you sure we are really so far from agreement?

--"You believe that there is such a thing as an objectively identifiable basis for a moral code. I do not - I believe the basis must be selected a priori."
-I don't just believe there is such a thing. I have shown there is such a thing. After the basics of my system are determined it isn't all that much of a stretch to see that entities with similar goals (e.g., humans) can potentially simplify their moral code by agreeing to certain goals (i.e., avoidance of pain, preservation of life, certain community standards, etc.). This reduction (with the proper selection of goals) would be equivalent to your system or Mike's.

--I realize it may be mind numbing for you, but please look at my system again. If you do not see where my objective basis is then I'll let it go with my thanks.
Nova Andromeda
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mr. Bean you have brought up some popular misconceptions of religious moral code somehow set in stone. While some hard-core fundamentalists refuse change and adaptation in the Modern Worldview there is much room for change and acceptance. This includes specifically tolerance and to a lesser extent acceptance of homosexuals. The Catholic Church has since accepted homosexuals from a formal standpoint. Meaning while many individuals shun and are opposed to homosexuals they are according to the church leadership, equal in the eyes of God.

As for the passages in the Bible, Tora and Koran, these passages, as all religious books, are open to interpretation. Besides this there are numerous passages that take precedence over condemnation of homosexuals. Specifically the ones about God's unconditional love for all his children.

With regarded to morals and ethics in general. I believe everyone should posses a minimal conception of morality. That is one which places reason and impartiality as a test for which all choices are made. Along with this notion we must also remember how cultural relativism places, all cultures values equal to ours.
Yes I'm lazy I quoted his entire post instead of the section I needed.

So your say that any religion no matter how many times it says Don't Interpret are open for Interpatation?
If I remeber Early sections of the Koran are VERY big about taking the book word for word it is true if you don't understand somthing ask an Iman but don't re-intret

Or to put it another way if say... Hm Bob starts a religion and every fifth sentance is a reminder to not interpet the book but just take it word for word it will still be subject to re-interpation?
Yes the example is a bit serever but it gets my point across

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Nova Andromeda wrote:--:... basis of a set of rules must be simple ... even if the rules derived from them are not."
-In other words we agree that the final system of rules may not be simple.

--"Your system is much too complex to be useful as a basis."
-You will have to explain why this is because it is not so complex that it cannot be understood or used to derive law.

:twisted:
Hmmm, look at it mathematically, the difference between a system of equations, and the underlying basis. The basis is simple. It only requires a one, a zero, and closure (the products and sums of elements of a basis are also in the basis, like a group), and that you can define some operations (like dot and cross products) to test and manipulate items in the group. A basis is simple. The cartesian basis, three mutually orthogonal unit vectors used for measure. That's as simple as it gets, which is why it may be taught first. It's easy to test bases for things like linear independence. Which leads into systems of equations. They can be complicated, and huge systems (any dimension greater than 3, or 4 if you are diligent) require computers, but because the basis is simple, you can test for existence and uniqueness of solutions. You don't try to use the system of equations as a basis, or you may find yourself working hard on 3 pages of number crunching before it dawns on you that there is no solution. By looking at the basis, for example on a small system of 3 equations in 3 variables, simplifying them into the sums of multiples of basis elements, you can decide if the system is indeterminate before you even get started.

Or you could take the set of laws, say, punishment for a baby's death, and try to justify them without the basis, on a case-by-case... uh, basis, with every case rife with debate, controversy, and protest. You would be doing math by dogma, and never find workable solutions for general cases.

Every punishment may have exemptions. If your baby died of SIDS, the "baby-death" law would be tempered by recognizing the fact that the parent wasn't committing an act of murder by putting their baby to sleep in a crib and leaving the room. The basis for that would be mercy and fair play, or variants of whatever you wanted to call them. Sympathy, empathy, fair play, outrage, the basis for that being how we value human life. Every law can be traced back to something like that.

And by the way, if I were Picard, I would have given up after the 2nd away party, retrieved all the crew members I could've, and destroyed the planet on which Armus lived. But I would warn him, just out of fair play, and see if he would change his mind about being such a dick.
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Holy shit, dude. You two must have had quite the falling-out when you told him about your sexual orientation. That must have been pretty uncomfortable.

I haven't told him. Though I havent talked to him in a cordial/non-argumentative manner in almost 5 years. thankfully when my parents divorced and I moved from alaska to arizona he didnt follow and now lives in florida. 8)
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I haven't told him. Though I havent talked to him in a cordial/non-argumentative manner in almost 5 years. thankfully when my parents divorced and I moved from alaska to arizona he didnt follow and now lives in florida
Ahhh Florida, The place old people go to die :D

Intresting, So he has no earthy idea or you just never told him?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Nicholas Stipanovich
Redshirt

Post by Nicholas Stipanovich »

Nick wrote: You believe that there is such a thing as an objectively identifiable basis for a moral code.

I do not - I believe the basis must be selected a priori. A workable society becomes feasible when the bases used by different members of society are sufficiently similar for them to interact profitably. The only useful precedent I see in selecting a basis is that which has been observed to be fundamental to successful human endeavour.
Offhand, why do you think that there is no objectively identifiable basis? It seems to me that observation of the effects of the code on society, as described by Mike earlier, would serve. One could start from survival of the code (surely any moral code must allow its adherents, as a group, to prosper well enough to perpetuate it) and run from there.

This basic assumption does not strike me as arbitrary, nor do I think that it must be selected a priori, since all codes that do not accept it will die eventually. Since the survivors must be using a moral code that allows for survival, they will judge the failures accordingly.
- Nicholas Stipanovich

"... with liberty and justice for all."
-U.S. Pledge of Allegiance
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--"Hmmm, look at it mathematically ..."
-If you think you can construct a space out of my system go right ahead and calculate whether it is indeterminant or not. I'm betting you can't consuct such a space though. Failer to do so wouldn't mean my system is too complex to use.

--"... try to justify them without the basis ..."
-I'm not doing this according to how you define basis. That is different from how Mike and Nick define basis though which is a set of common goals generally agreed upon.

--"Every law can be traced back to something like that."
-All you are doing here is defining a basis to fit your rules. Sure you can do that, however, you are doing exactly what Mike accussed me of doing. You are treating the law as dogma.
Nova Andromeda
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

--"Actually, appeals to the majority are legitimate in this case. "
-No they are not legitimate. All you have done is shown that most humans have similar goals which have been used to simplify moral codes. However, such simplifications must be agreed to or we are back to a contest of power. You have to remember that I'm talking about a general moral code and not just one for humans (that must come after the general code is determined).
I think may have a confusion here...
Moral is by nature non-universal rules. They can be simple or even complex, that does not matter. And there is antagonism in moral (Monogamy is moral in one place, immoral in other).
Usually a Moral code must have a majority acceptantce, inside that same group.

But in other hand, There is a universal set of rules that apply to all human societies and that give origem to all moral codes, which are the Ethic Rules (which are based in fairness, yes) and because all societies Moral codes derive from Ethic Rules, we have all the similarities.
You can not just judge a moral system better or not from the moral code you follow, because from a moral rule was a result that a determinated conflicts. They are the solutions that society found to endure.
But from a ethic point of view you can do that. A Moral system can be bad, wrong or alike from the Ethic point of view, which is a universal basis and is basead in fairness. The more simple a moral code is more easy for you to estabilish the distinctions or similarities in the Ethic point of view. More complex, more hard is.
So, what Darth Wong propose as a fair and simple moral code to be basead in sympathy (or fairness) is possible, is more close to the ethic spirit, and can be judged from this point of view.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Nicholas Stipanovich wrote:
Nick wrote: You believe that there is such a thing as an objectively identifiable basis for a moral code.

Offhand, why do you think that there is no objectively identifiable basis? It seems to me that observation of the effects of the code on society, as described by Mike earlier, would serve. One could start from survival of the code (surely any moral code must allow its adherents, as a group, to prosper well enough to perpetuate it) and run from there.

This basic assumption does not strike me as arbitrary, nor do I think that it must be selected a priori, since all codes that do not accept it will die eventually. Since the survivors must be using a moral code that allows for survival, they will judge the failures accordingly.
To be perfectly honest, I think I over-stated my opinion. I don't think an entirely objective basis is possible, but an argument can be made for a 'nearly-objective' system based on observed consequences (Why isn't such a system actually objective? Because our judgment of what constitutes 'good' or 'bad' consequences is itself based on our values!).

To put this in context with what Nova has said, what I call a moral basis is what Nova casually dismisses as 'simplifying the moral code by agreeing to certain goals'. I would now say that Nova's framework is actually a justification for why morality is necessary at all (and, IMO, it does a very good job of justifying it)*. Essentially, it points out that a group that learns to cooperate together will not only perform better as a whole, but will also allow each individual to achieve more than they could achieve alone. However, what it does not really say is what goals need to be common to all entities (aside for the single point of 'all entities must subscribe to the code'). In doing so, I believe it falls short of a workable moral code by a significant step.

That step is asking the following question: 'What is morality supposed to achieve?'. This is what I am really referring to when I say objectivity is impossible - a purpose must exist before we can define a moral code that aims to achieve it. As mentioned, we can aim to learn from experience by attempting to extract common elements from previous (and current) societies which seemed (or seem) to function reasonably well.

Obviously, I believe that undertaking that activity leads to the idea of 'sympathy and a sense of fairness' Or, phrasing it differently "justice, tempered with mercy". Or possibly "equality and compassion". Essentially, the system aims to be fair to all, but also makes allowances for individual circumstances and genuine misfortune. However, others (such as Nova), argue (or appear to argue) that the only common element required is equality/fairness/justice (or simple subscription to the idea that some form of moral code is necessary!) - and that then becomes an argument about whether or not particular societies are successful. Such an argument is almost guaranteed to become circular (hence my suggestion that we had reached an impasse).

Regardless, since you asked, I will attempt to argue the idea of mercy having direct benefits for the individual and for society (Nova actually prompted this train of thought by saying 'The unfortunate are just that: unfortunate').

Let'sconsider the situation where compassion is not seen as valuable. I dismissed this earlier with the line 'it leads to an attitude of "and may the Devil take the hindmost."' What I didn't articulate was why this attitude has negative consequences for both the individual and the society.

The major problem is that this scenario does not provide sufficient disincentives against the 'every man for himself' mindset. While it is acknowledged the society will attempt to be fair to all, there is no safety net. The idea of helping others, for no immediate perceptible gain, is not prominent. What this leads to is a form of 'risk aversion' - if you lose what you have, no-one is likely to assist you in recovering it, unless you made prior arrangements for them to do so. Consequently, people will become more conservative, more likely to watch their backs, less likely to trust. With the reduction in trust, the functioning of the society will be hampered.

What, then, are the benefits if the society as a whole values compassion? Essentially, it aims to encourage a mindset of "there, but for the grace of God, go I". Be charitable, because you never know when you might need charity yourself. In this environment, the existence of safety nets means that in any exchange, the potential losses are no longer as high. The general anxiety of life is reduced, and individuals become more free to take risks, since, even if things go sour, the safety net is likely to catch them. Most importantly, the risks associated with trusting others are lessened, hence increasing the degree of trust between members of the society. With the increase in trust, exchanges are facilitated, and the operation of the society improves. For individuals, the mere reduction is stress levels is likely to be valuable.

And that is why I see compassion (for your fellow humans, at the very least) as an extremely important part of a sound moral code. I'm sure there are plenty of other arguments as to why compassion is an important part of a smoothly functioning society - the above is just what occurred to me off the top of my head. Can a society which doesn't value compassion and sympathy function? Possibly - but even if it does, I contend that one which does value compassion will function better.

*Yes, the above differs from what I said when I described Nova's code as a justification for a particular moral base (equitability) - subsequent statements from Nova caused me to revise my opinion.

LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

XPViking: Not mudslinging. Just demonstrating the point Wong made earlier. If you do not uncritically accept everything in the Bible, you must be using a higher external standard to judge the Bible. I'd like to know what you consider this external standard to be.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

GAP, that's what I'm working on. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

XPViking
8)
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Ahhh Florida, The place old people go to die

Intresting, So he has no earthy idea or you just never told him?
No Earthly clue...As I said I havent talked to him without picking apart his religion in 4 years

Though my 1 year out of the closet/16th birthday party is in two weeks so I think I will tell him like this

"Will you disown me?"

"No"

"Oh, well I quess I will have to give you a reason, Im gay"

I no longer consider him my father and have no love for him at all, so I have no qualms about being cruel to a hatemongering POS
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: Though my 1 year out of the closet/16th birthday party is in two weeks so I think I will tell him like this
"Will you disown me?"
"No"
"Oh, well I quess I will have to give you a reason, Im gay"
That's actually pretty funny. Not that he'll get it :)
I no longer consider him my father and have no love for him at all, so I have no qualms about being cruel to a hatemongering POS
Is it really "cruel" when the victim has to be a bigot in order to feel the pain?
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

That's actually pretty funny. Not that he'll get it
True
Is it really "cruel" when the victim has to be a bigot in order to feel the pain?
Now that you put it that way... :twisted:

Nicholas Stipanovich
Redshirt

Post by Nicholas Stipanovich »

Nick wrote:
Nicholas Stipanovich wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I think I over-stated my opinion. I don't think an entirely objective basis is possible, but an argument can be made for a 'nearly-objective' system based on observed consequences (Why isn't such a system actually objective? Because our judgment of what constitutes 'good' or 'bad' consequences is itself based on our values!).

<snip interesting context discussion>
I think that whatever else constitutes our values, survival of the group must be one of them. This is as objective a basis as one can get, since those who do not value survival (in other words, act in a fashion detrimental to the survival of the group, on average) will die out in the long run. Thus, after a reasonably long period of idea evolution (say, since the first humans walked the Earth), we will see those value systems that support survival thrive in comparision, to the point where all such competing systems are extingushed.

Therefore, we have one objective definition of 'good' (and implicitly one of its opposite, 'bad') without appealing to any a priori argument. It seems to me that one could continue inductively along this line of thought and arrive at an objectively derived complete set of values, and thus a moral system.

Whether one chooses to accept the results is another issue entirely.
- Nicholas Stipanovich

"... with liberty and justice for all."
-U.S. Pledge of Allegiance