World has tapped just 18 percent of global oil supplies

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Master of Ossus wrote:
J wrote:Right now we're very close to if not at peak production levels, with aggressive drilling and production methods we can squeeze another 5-10 million barrels a day from the ground but it will not be sustainable and will cause permanent damage to the oil fields which will reduce the amount of ultimately recoverable oil. Current production is a bit over 80 million barrels a day, so you're looking at pretty small gains.
:roll:

Unless, I don't know, the price were to go up.
So tell me, why is oil production in the US, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait falling despite despite record high oil prices? Why has US production fallen from a peak of nearly 11 million barrels a day in 1970 when oil was at $3/barrel to a bit over 5 million a day right now when oil is at ~$65 a barrel? Would you like to explain why production has fallen by half despite a 20-fold increase in the price of oil? Taking inflation into account, we're still looking at a greater than 4-fold increase from 1970 to 2005. The real price has more than quadrupled and production dropped by more than half. So tell me, how do higher prices magically pull more oil from the ground when the oil's all tapped out?

The world has about 1-2% of spare capacity right now, not much more can be added no matter how high prices go. We are burning 80 billion barrels a year while finding only 13 billion or so a year. Where does this new production come from? Our oil base is shrinking, not growing.
Your assumption is that the price would remain the same, but that is not necessary in your scenario. A rise in the real price of oil will increase production across time.
Once again, how? Oil reservoirs are rate sensitive, higher production rates reduce the amount of ultimately recoverable oil, this has been proven time & time again in oil fields all over the world, there is no way around it. An overly high production rate will permanently damage the reservoirs, again, this has been proven in oil fields worldwide, Samotlor in the former USSR being the best example. There are billions of recoverable barrels there which ended up being permanently trapped in the ground due to gas caps and water encroachment, and this is also true of many of the Mid East fields.

The magic free market will not change the cold hard facts of geophysics. There is only so much oil in the ground and it's only going to come up this fast.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

J wrote:So tell me, why is oil production in the US, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait falling despite despite record high oil prices? Why has US production fallen from a peak of nearly 11 million barrels a day in 1970 when oil was at $3/barrel to a bit over 5 million a day right now when oil is at ~$65 a barrel? Would you like to explain why production has fallen by half despite a 20-fold increase in the price of oil? Taking inflation into account, we're still looking at a greater than 4-fold increase from 1970 to 2005. The real price has more than quadrupled and production dropped by more than half. So tell me, how do higher prices magically pull more oil from the ground when the oil's all tapped out?
Because they allow for marginal fields to be brought into production.
The world has about 1-2% of spare capacity right now, not much more can be added no matter how high prices go. We are burning 80 billion barrels a year while finding only 13 billion or so a year. Where does this new production come from? Our oil base is shrinking, not growing.
Which ignores the fact that marginal fields can be brought into production as the price rises, which has been observed in the past.
Once again, how? Oil reservoirs are rate sensitive, higher production rates reduce the amount of ultimately recoverable oil, this has been proven time & time again in oil fields all over the world, there is no way around it. An overly high production rate will permanently damage the reservoirs, again, this has been proven in oil fields worldwide, Samotlor in the former USSR being the best example. There are billions of recoverable barrels there which ended up being permanently trapped in the ground due to gas caps and water encroachment, and this is also true of many of the Mid East fields.
Which only applies to the fields that are currently under production. You ignore the fact that other fields can be brought into production once the price rises high enough to make their development profitable.
The magic free market will not change the cold hard facts of geophysics. There is only so much oil in the ground and it's only going to come up this fast.
No, but the "magic free market" also determines what is profitable and it allows for more fields to be brought into production as the price rises to make marginal fields profitable. This has been observed repeatedly in the past.

I like the way you conceded for the sake of argument that your opponents' are correct in their understanding that lots of oil exist in other, undeveloped fields, but do not recognize the potential that these fields can be developed even though that is a fundamental part of your opponents' argument.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Which ignores the fact that marginal fields can be brought into production as the price rises, which has been observed in the past.
You mean like the "highly successful" Quatif, Abu Sa'fah, and Hawtah trends projects in Saudi Arabia, which combined barely produce half a million barrels (and falling) despite aggressive branched horizontal drilling and water floods, among the most aggressive & high tech production technology used anywhere in the world. Or the Samotlor redevelopment project which produces a similar amount of oil, keeping in mind that Samotlor produced over 7 million barrels a day during its peak. All of which are non-sustainable I might add, in fact the Saudi fields I mentioned have seen significant production drops in the last 2-3 years, and Samotlor will soon follow in the next 5-10 years.

These four are by far the best "marginal" fields anywhere in the world, in most parts of the world they'd be considered as highly productive fields. Samotlor produces far more oil than Prudhoe Bay, and the latter is anything but marginal. The others such as the new projects in Chad and proposed developments in Saudi Arabia & the Mid East will only add a few tens of thousands of barrels a day at best. If you want to do the math the world is consuming 1000 barrels every second, how many of these marginal fields will have to be found and drilled to even think of meeting demand?

Let's put some numbers to it. MoO claims that higher prices will allow us to greatly increase production, far past the 5-10 million barrels/day numbers I put up. Let's give him 25 million/day. Let's say we can now develop a bunch of marginal fields, each giving 50,000 barrels a day, marginal by the standard of Saudi fields but considered average to excellent for most other parts of the world. Let's further assume that production at current fields doesn't fall, in reality it is but let's ignore that. Which means we'll have to find and develop 500 "marginal" oil fields. 500 oil fields which we're currently not tapping, and they each have to produce 50,000 barrels a day. Tell me, where are these oil fields? This is a best case hypothetical scenario.
Which only applies to the fields that are currently under production. You ignore the fact that other fields can be brought into production once the price rises high enough to make their development profitable.
Wrong. Rate sensitivity applies to all reservoirs, new and old. Also, once an oil reservoir is watered out, depressurized, and has a gas cap sitting on top of it there is no way to pull the oil out, period. 60% of the oil is still down there and it's stuck there for good. And once again, where is this new production going to come from? Where are these magical new fields?
No, but the "magic free market" also determines what is profitable and it allows for more fields to be brought into production as the price rises to make marginal fields profitable. This has been observed repeatedly in the past.
Again, where are these fields? From the above calculations, we need an absolute minimum of 500 of them, realistically, several thousand. Where are they?
I like the way you conceded for the sake of argument that your opponents' are correct in their understanding that lots of oil exist in other, undeveloped fields, but do not recognize the potential that these fields can be developed even though that is a fundamental part of your opponents' argument.
I have no idea what you're talking about here. For the sake of argument I've assumed that my opponents' most optimistic wet dreams are true, and then shown that even if they were true we still won't meet oil demand like they claim. If the hypothetical best case scenario doesn't work out, how can they claim everything will be fine in the real world?

Moving back to the real world, the question becomes very simple. Where are all these oil fields which are just waiting to be found or developed? I've shown how many we need, where are they? Find me 500 currently undeveloped fields with an average production potential of 50,000 bpd and I'll begin to entertain your claims of significantly increased oil production.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Looking at it another way, the US has by far the best ratio of production to reserves. From proven reserves of around 30 billion barrels, 5 million barrels are produced every day, giving a million barrels daily for every 6 billion in reserves. Jiggle that ratio up to 1 million/5 billion to make things nice and even and because hey, we're all being optimistic here. Oh yes, and over 500,000 wells are required to produce those 5 million barrels a day in the US

So if Master of Ossus is correct and we really can pump another 20-25 million barrels a day from marginal fields, how many barrels worth of marginal fields would we have to develop? Well at 1 mil/5 bil that's 100-125 billion barrels worth of marginal fields.

Which brings me back to the original point. Find me 120 billion barrels worth of undeveloped oil reservoirs and a way to drill 2 million wells into them. If the oil isn't there, the claims of "we'll expand into marginal fields when the market allows" are false and worthless. Prove that these 120 billion barrels of marginal undeveloped fields exist, then we'll discuss your claims of market forces.

- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker