The morality of being a soldier

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Sokartawi wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:If you had no ability to stop him EXCEPT by killing him, would you do it?
No.
You're wildly inconsistent. If killing one aggressor will save the lives of 5 innocents, you shouldn't have a problem with that. If killing is the ONLY way to stop the death of those 5 innocent people, and PRESERVING their lives, it is perfectly justified. Your inaction that allows those 5 people to be murdered makes you a killer by proxy.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

I am having a very difficult time figuring out how you recouncil your "the aggressors are the bad guys and deserve to die no matter what" attitude with you "all killing is wrong" attitude.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:That's not possible since he had to kill the murderer to live, so someone gets hurt.
Someone will get hurt no matter what happens in this scenario, so I ask, for the second time, why shouldn't it be the aggressor, who is, by your own logic, the bad guy, who dies?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: You don't get me, do you? Killing is not justified, that includes doing it for your country, and that includes if it saves other people.
I get you perfectly. I see a coward who is unwilling to kill or even maim to help her friends or defend her country. Good thing you get to avoid Swedens draft, brings up the question of what you would do if you were drafted and HAD to fight. Would you just toss your weapon on the ground and cower and pray, ala Jessica Lynch?
Hard to say what exactly I'd be doing since I haven't been in such a situation. Maybe take care of the wounded, maybe refuse to cooperate, maybe just walking away, maybe acting along but making sure I don't hit anyone, but shooting enough to draw attention to myself so the enemy might shoot me instead of someone you'd consider more valuable.
Stubborn as ever - Let's hope it pays off this time.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Trogdor wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:That's not possible since he had to kill the murderer to live, so someone gets hurt.
Someone will get hurt no matter what happens in this scenario, so I ask, for the second time, why shouldn't it be the aggressor, who is, by your own logic, the bad guy, who dies?
Because that would make me a murderer, and I would be responsible for his death, and killing is an evil action.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Sokartawi wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:If you had no ability to stop him EXCEPT by killing him, would you do it?
No.
I repeat: How can you sleep soundly at night, much less have the audacity to claim moral superiority, when you would rather have five innocent lives sacrified than stopping one guilty person.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Trogdor wrote:
Because that would make me a murderer, and I would be responsible for his death, and killing is an evil action.
And yet you've rooted for the suicide bombers in Iraq over the invading Americans. In other words, it's okay when OTHER people do it, but not you, because you're too morally upright.

Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Lord Poe wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
No.
You're wildly inconsistent. If killing one aggressor will save the lives of 5 innocents, you shouldn't have a problem with that. If killing is the ONLY way to stop the death of those 5 innocent people, and PRESERVING their lives, it is perfectly justified. Your inaction that allows those 5 people to be murdered makes you a killer by proxy.
My initial post already said I don't consider it that way. The guy that kills 5 people is a murderer, not me, and I have no intention of becomming one by murdering him.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
No.
I repeat: How can you sleep soundly at night, much less have the audacity to claim moral superiority, when you would rather have five innocent lives sacrified than stopping one guilty person.
Because I did not kill anyone if the murderer kills them. I am not responsible for the actions of the murderer.
I would be responsible for murder if I kill the guy.

0 or 1 murder count, easy choice for me.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Sokartawi wrote: Hard to say what exactly I'd be doing since I haven't been in such a situation. Maybe take care of the wounded, maybe refuse to cooperate, maybe just walking away, maybe acting along but making sure I don't hit anyone, but shooting enough to draw attention to myself so the enemy might shoot me instead of someone you'd consider more valuable.
Ever hear of fraticide? I wager thats what would happen to you if you were in a warzone. If your refusing to fight and help out your buddies, there's no way your going to get away with it. You'll be court-martialed for sure, and your comrades would probably beat the shit out of you too.The military will defeinetly go after you if they find out you've been actively avoiding firing on the enemy.

Being a medic would allow you to practice your cowardice and not engae in killing anyone, but you may have to use force to defend your patients. And then were would you be? Would you kill to defend your wouded comrades?
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Sokartawi wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: No.
Because I did not kill anyone if the murderer kills them. I am not responsible for the actions of the murderer.

So you're simply that selfish, that you would rather let other people die than take the initiative to save them if it risks sullying your hands. Gee, thanks for clearing that up. :roll:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

By your logic, if you saw someone drowning, and could throw him a lifeline but didn't and he died, it wouldn't be your fault. That's just sickening.

Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: Hard to say what exactly I'd be doing since I haven't been in such a situation. Maybe take care of the wounded, maybe refuse to cooperate, maybe just walking away, maybe acting along but making sure I don't hit anyone, but shooting enough to draw attention to myself so the enemy might shoot me instead of someone you'd consider more valuable.
Ever hear of fraticide? I wager thats what would happen to you if you were in a warzone. If your refusing to fight and help out your buddies, there's no way your going to get away with it. You'll be court-martialed for sure, and your comrades would probably beat the shit out of you too.The military will defeinetly go after you if they find out you've been actively avoiding firing on the enemy.
They can go after me all they want.

B
Cpl Kendall wrote:eing a medic would allow you to practice your cowardice and not engae in killing anyone, but you may have to use force to defend your patients. And then were would you be? Would you kill to defend your wouded comrades?
No.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Trogdor wrote:By your logic, if you saw someone drowning, and could throw him a lifeline but didn't and he died, it wouldn't be your fault. That's just sickening.
Throwing a lifeline is not an evil action, while killing a person is.
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Being a medic would allow you to practice your cowardice and not engae in killing anyone, but you may have to use force to defend your patients. And then were would you be? Would you kill to defend your wouded comrades?
That's the soul of why this discussion cannot be resolved. Most everyone else here thus far has outlined any number of scenarios in which they feel that killing is a valid answer.

Sokartawi believes that no killing is ever justified. (Outside of consensual deaths such as euthanasia.)

It's a fundamental moral difference, and no scenario anyone here can present will sway her from this.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote: I repeat: How can you sleep soundly at night, much less have the audacity to claim moral superiority, when you would rather have five innocent lives sacrified than stopping one guilty person.

So you're simply that selfish, that you would rather let other people die than take the initiative to save them if it risks sullying your hands. Gee, thanks for clearing that up. :roll:
You could see it that way yes.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Sokartawi wrote:My initial post already said I don't consider it that way. The guy that kills 5 people is a murderer, not me, and I have no intention of becomming one by murdering him.
What you consider is irrelevant. You are a murderer by proxy if you allow the death of 5 if you could have prevented it with the death of one. You're just as evil. You are a murderer by proxy if you allow the death of ONE if you could have prevented it with the death of one. You're just as evil as Killer A.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Lord Poe wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:My initial post already said I don't consider it that way. The guy that kills 5 people is a murderer, not me, and I have no intention of becomming one by murdering him.
What you consider is irrelevant. You are a murderer by proxy if you allow the death of 5 if you could have prevented it with the death of one. You're just as evil. You are a murderer by proxy if you allow the death of ONE if you could have prevented it with the death of one. You're just as evil as Killer A.
Only from your point of view. From my point of view you're only guilty if you pull trigger.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:eing a medic would allow you to practice your cowardice and not engae in killing anyone, but you may have to use force to defend your patients. And then were would you be? Would you kill to defend your wouded comrades?
No.
Those wounded comrades of yours would be your allies. You've given the terrorists who came from outside of Iraq a pass because they're helping their allies. Your logic is growing more and more full of "it's okay so long as I don't have to do it."

I believe you honestly don't think any of us here besides you would feel guilty about killing someone to save others. Well you know what, I probably would feel guilty about killing someone, about making myself a murder, even if that person was the scum of the Earth. But I'd still do it anyway, because it IS the right thing to do and because inaction would be the greater wrong there.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

We may not be able to change your opinion, Shakkara. But know this. The two boards you have been a part of, despite their differences, have both summarised their views of you as a selfish and frankly ignorant individual who has likely led too sheltered a life to fully comprehend her views in the real-world.

I don't care if I nor the others can change your way of reasoning (and I use that term in its loosest possible form), but we will all now see you as a person who quite simply has forfeited their humanity in the pursuit of a single and ultimately futile ideal. Like true communism or anarchy, what you propose simply would not work without a radical alteration in the human psyche. Not going to happen, not now, not in ten years, not in ten ice ages.

My advice to you is to wake up and smell the coffee, dispose of the rose tinted glasses, headphones and braincase and observe the fact that 99.99% of mankind, nay, of organisms would do the opposite to what you propose.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Trogdor wrote:By your logic, if you saw someone drowning, and could throw him a lifeline but didn't and he died, it wouldn't be your fault. That's just sickening.
But would you agree that negelecting this person would be evil?

Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Trogdor wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
No.
Those wounded comrades of yours would be your allies. You've given the terrorists who came from outside of Iraq a pass because they're helping their allies. Your logic is growing more and more full of "it's okay so long as I don't have to do it."
I didn't give the foreigners a pass that said the fact that terrorists kill people is justified.
Trogdor wrote:I believe you honestly don't think any of us here besides you would feel guilty about killing someone to save others. Well you know what, I probably would feel guilty about killing someone, about making myself a murder, even if that person was the scum of the Earth. But I'd still do it anyway, because it IS the right thing to do and because inaction would be the greater wrong there.
From your perspective.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Trogdor wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
Undecided.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Sokartawi wrote: Ever hear of fraticide? I wager thats what would happen to you if you were in a warzone. If your refusing to fight and help out your buddies, there's no way your going to get away with it. You'll be court-martialed for sure, and your comrades would probably beat the shit out of you too.The military will defeinetly go after you if they find out you've been actively avoiding firing on the enemy.
They can go after me all they want.

Fair enough. At least you'd be standing up for what you believe in.
Coward wrote: No.
You fucking scumbucket. You wouldn't even defend your wounded comrades? You understand that these people are wounded and depending on your protection? Personally I hope that if you ever found yourself in combat that your comrades would frag you. Being killed by the enemy is too good for you.

You need to go home and rethink your life. Your views indicate a serious case of moral cowardice. I won't even touch on your evident lack of emotional detachment towards your friends and family. I sincerely hope you never breed/adopt. This kind of stupidy does not need to be passed on.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Trogdor wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: Throwing a lifeline is not an evil action, while killing a person is.
Undecided.
Spare me, you just realize that if you say yes, then I'll compare it to the murderer scenario because they're both instances where inaction will result in the death of innocents. :roll: