The morality of being a soldier

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Sokartawi wrote:Nonsense. You can find the one responsible for the situation by going through all parties, and see what happens if they do not do anything.

Murderer kills person, relatives are hurt.

Murderer does nothing, relatives are not hurt.

Murderer kills person, relatives choose not to be hurt.

Murderer kills person that does nothing, relatives are hurt.

Thus the murderer is the most guilty party, and the relatives are the second guilty party, and the victim is innocent.
Pacifist decides to live, instead of die. NO ONE IS HURT.

Face it: the pacifist is equally responsible if they have an opportunity to survive their ordeal and they choose not to.

The idea that you can assign responsibility based on INaction is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard. Let's envision this scenario:

A railroad runs off the track, killing a few people and injuring others. In addition, serious economic harm is done to society since it relied on the contents of the railroad and its continued operation.

The people responsible for safety at the RR didn't do their jobs, and forgot that they needed to maintain the frickin' tracks. When called on it, they say they weren't responsible because if they did nothing (ie. didn't do their jobs), then everyone was obviously hurt. The true culprit, they say, is the engineer on the crashed train. If HE hadn't have shown up to work that day, the train never would've gone over the dangerous tracks and never would've crashed. Thus, no one would've been hurt.

You cannot seriously assign relative guilt or innocence on such a farcical system of reasoning. People who have an opportunity to do something and choose not to do it are responsible for their INactions, as well as their actions.

Besides which, saying that the murderer is MORE responsible for the relatives being hurt does nothing to defeat the argument that the pacifist bears SOME responsibility for choosing to die. The pacifist's actions directly led to harm to other innocents, who literally did nothing wrong. The pacifist bears SOME responsibility for their pain, even if the murderer bears more. You have completely failed to rebut the point.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Trogdor wrote:And just to clarify, do your perceptions on who's the good guys and the bad guys shift with who's defender and aggressor? Did the Allies in WWII become the bad guys when they invaded Germany?
Were they ever the good guys? France and Britain was the ones declaring war on Hitler instead of using non-violence when Hitler attacked Poland.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Knife wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:Nonsense. You can find the one responsible for the situation by going through all parties, and see what happens if they do not do anything.

Thus the murderer is the most guilty party, and the relatives are the second guilty party, and the victim is innocent.
And once again, you wash yourself of any responsibility for the matter. You made those relasionships too. You had the ability to fight back and kill the murderer.

The murder is responsible for his/her actions as YOU are with YOURS.
Inaction weights less then action, and the murderer is clearly the cause here, and killing him makes me do an EVIL action while doing nothing or at least not killing him is not evil. Plus, the murderer probably has relatives too, so why lower myself to his level?
The murderer is the aggressor. By your own admission, he's the bad guy and deserves death more than you, that's why.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Sokartawi wrote:
Lord Poe wrote:I don't mind people like Sokartawi. Peopler like her make decisions that much easier. Imagine the lifeboat scenario, where one person has to go. We can toss Sokartawi overboard because she wouldn't put up a struggle, or fight to get back on the boat. And we know she wouldn't bother assisting us in our survival, so its no big loss. At all.
Maybe asking nicely would work just as good as tossing...
Nope. Nowhere near as satisfying.
Lord Poe wrote:Now that scenario where person A is going to kill 5 people; if I were person B, I'd shoot to kill, several times. Head shot if I could manage it. Now if person B sat idly byand let person A kill 5 people, me, as person C would beat person B to a bloody pulp with a baseball bat.

But that's just me...
I would try to stop person A, just not kill him. [/quote]

If you had no ability to stop him EXCEPT by killing him, would you do it?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: Geneva convention or not, soldiers still kill, which is enough.
No it's not. For all your bluster and crying you still don't understand why we do it. We put our lives on the line to serve our countries. And when we have to kill, we don't like it. We do it because our friends are counting on us to pull our weight and watch our arcs of fire. Stop confusing professional Western Soldiers with the fundie asshats that the Middle East employs, those people enjoy killing and are the real murderers.

I suggest you go educate yourself on soldiers and their motivations before spouting this dogma.
You don't get me, do you? Killing is not justified, that includes doing it for your country, and that includes if it saves other people.
Stubborn as ever - Let's hope it pays off this time.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Master of Ossus wrote:If you had no ability to stop him EXCEPT by killing him, would you do it?
No.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

CJvR wrote:
Trogdor wrote:And just to clarify, do your perceptions on who's the good guys and the bad guys shift with who's defender and aggressor? Did the Allies in WWII become the bad guys when they invaded Germany?
Were they ever the good guys? France and Britain was the ones declaring war on Hitler instead of using non-violence when Hitler attacked Poland.
They tried non-violence, it didn't work. And how about the Americans and the Soviets, then? The US didn't get into the war until Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, and the USSR didn't until the Nazis invaded them.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

CJvR wrote: Were they ever the good guys? France and Britain was the ones declaring war on Hitler instead of using non-violence when Hitler attacked Poland.
Actually France and Britain had a defense treaty with Poland. They were to come to her defense if attacked. So they were honouring their treaty obligations. Although they didn't actually help Poland, but thats another story.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Trogdor wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
Knife wrote: And once again, you wash yourself of any responsibility for the matter. You made those relasionships too. You had the ability to fight back and kill the murderer.

The murder is responsible for his/her actions as YOU are with YOURS.
Inaction weights less then action, and the murderer is clearly the cause here, and killing him makes me do an EVIL action while doing nothing or at least not killing him is not evil. Plus, the murderer probably has relatives too, so why lower myself to his level?
The murderer is the aggressor. By your own admission, he's the bad guy and deserves death more than you, that's why.
Deserves is not an excuse for murder.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: Geneva convention or not, soldiers still kill, which is enough.
No it's not. For all your bluster and crying you still don't understand why we do it. We put our lives on the line to serve our countries. And when we have to kill, we don't like it. We do it because our friends are counting on us to pull our weight and watch our arcs of fire. Stop confusing professional Western Soldiers with the fundie asshats that the Middle East employs, those people enjoy killing and are the real murderers.

I suggest you go educate yourself on soldiers and their motivations before spouting this dogma.
You don't get me, do you? Killing is not justified, that includes doing it for your country, and that includes if it saves other people.
Even if by not killing you cause more people to die? Death on your hands are justified so long as they're indirect deaths? You are a coward.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Sokartawi wrote: You don't get me, do you? Killing is not justified, that includes doing it for your country, and that includes if it saves other people.
I hope that's your tune if you ever do come across a murderer, especially if it's one who rapes or tortures first. Because I sure as hell won't show that leniency, or should I say, stupidity should I or my family and friends be endangered.

I'm glad I don't know anyone like you in reality. It'd be hard to rely on someone who simply couldn't give a shit about anything.

Consider your moral highground privileges rescinded.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Sokartawi wrote: You don't get me, do you? Killing is not justified, that includes doing it for your country, and that includes if it saves other people.
I get you perfectly. I see a coward who is unwilling to kill or even maim to help her friends or defend her country. Good thing you get to avoid Swedens draft, brings up the question of what you would do if you were drafted and HAD to fight. Would you just toss your weapon on the ground and cower and pray, ala Jessica Lynch?
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Trogdor wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: Inaction weights less then action, and the murderer is clearly the cause here, and killing him makes me do an EVIL action while doing nothing or at least not killing him is not evil. Plus, the murderer probably has relatives too, so why lower myself to his level?
Deserves is not an excuse for murder.
But you root for suicide bombers!

In this situation, someone's going to die. It's either the aggressor, or the defender. Why shouldn't it be the aggressor?

Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Trogdor wrote:

This is just stupid. "Choose not to be hurt"? You can't just choose not to be hurt when someone you care about dies!
I already did, twice.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Sokartawi wrote:Plus, the murderer probably has relatives too, so why lower myself to his level?
Because he's the fucking murderer and he attacked you. That makes him worse than you are. If you have a choice between saving two people, do you sacrifice the charity worker for the murderer?

Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Knife wrote:But, as usual, you don't subscribe the same to the other Arabs from various countries who flocked there to fight the Americans. Those same are not defending their country and they are interfering with other nations and killing people.

But as usual, you give them a pass.
I'd say that can be considered helping out an ally. But a lot of them have other motives besides that, which is detestable.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Trogdor wrote:

This is just stupid. "Choose not to be hurt"? You can't just choose not to be hurt when someone you care about dies!
I already did, twice.
How do I do that vomit emoticon that's been getting used around the Politics forum?

If you didn't feel even the tiniest bit of distress that someone you care about is dead, the smallest feeling that you'll miss them, I'd say you didn't really care about them.

Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Relatives... Are guilty of caring about someone?! I fucking well hope that was a mistranslation into English, because it's.. Jesus, there aren't any words for it. As someone who recently lost a family member, the only thing I have to say to you is a hearty fuck you and the high horse you rode in on!
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:Plus, the murderer probably has relatives too, so why lower myself to his level?
Because he's the fucking murderer and he attacked you. That makes him worse than you are. If you have a choice between saving two people, do you sacrifice the charity worker for the murderer?
I don't lives that aren't mine to sacrifice.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Trogdor wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
Trogdor wrote: This is just stupid. "Choose not to be hurt"? You can't just choose not to be hurt when someone you care about dies!
I already did, twice.
How do I do that vomit emoticon that's been getting used around the Politics forum?

If you didn't feel even the tiniest bit of distress that someone you care about is dead, the smallest feeling that you'll miss them, I'd say you didn't really care about them.
Me feeling bad and full of sorrow would not help the deceased person in any way.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Sokartawi wrote:I don't lives that aren't mine to sacrifice.
Oh, of course not. If you had a loaf of bread and saw a starving kid on the street, it wouldn't be your responsibility to feed him since he should've been feeding himself.

Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:
I don't lives that aren't mine to sacrifice.
But this person will likely kill again if you don't stop him! You will have sacrificed their lives, albeit indirectly. The fact that you yourself didn't pull the trigger is just a shield for your cowardly morals.

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Sokartawi wrote:Maybe asking nicely would work just as good as tossing...
Would you at least accept a helping hand overboard? :wink:
I would try to stop person A, just not kill him.
I can agree with this. Ok, I'd shoot to wound...

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sokartawi wrote:Me feeling bad and full of sorrow would not help the deceased person in any way.
Did I ever say it would help them? No. I said that it's impossible not to miss someone who died if you truly cared for them.

Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Master of Ossus wrote:

Pacifist decides to live, instead of die. NO ONE IS HURT.

Face it: the pacifist is equally responsible if they have an opportunity to survive their ordeal and they choose not to.
That's not possible since he had to kill the murderer to live, so someone gets hurt.
Master of Ossus wrote: The idea that you can assign responsibility based on INaction is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard. Let's envision this scenario:

A railroad runs off the track, killing a few people and injuring others. In addition, serious economic harm is done to society since it relied on the contents of the railroad and its continued operation.

The people responsible for safety at the RR didn't do their jobs, and forgot that they needed to maintain the frickin' tracks. When called on it, they say they weren't responsible because if they did nothing (ie. didn't do their jobs), then everyone was obviously hurt. The true culprit, they say, is the engineer on the crashed train. If HE hadn't have shown up to work that day, the train never would've gone over the dangerous tracks and never would've crashed. Thus, no one would've been hurt.

You cannot seriously assign relative guilt or innocence on such a farcical system of reasoning. People who have an opportunity to do something and choose not to do it are responsible for their INactions, as well as their actions.
They signed a contract that would pledge action to their company, plus honoring the contract is not immoral. The murder victim has not signed anything, and killing another person is an immoral action.
Master of Ossus wrote: Besides which, saying that the murderer is MORE responsible for the relatives being hurt does nothing to defeat the argument that the pacifist bears SOME responsibility for choosing to die. The pacifist's actions directly led to harm to other innocents, who literally did nothing wrong. The pacifist bears SOME responsibility for their pain, even if the murderer bears more. You have completely failed to rebut the point.
But the victim does not undertake a hurtful action, thus he is not responsible, and he does not have any alternatives besides dying, since killing another person is not allowed.