The morality of being a soldier

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Mrs Kendall wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote: Either way, I'd dance on his grave while pissing on it.
You probably won't mind my dancing on yours if you would have the chance again to give your precious life for your nation, and took it, either then?

Don't worry though, I'm not that kind of person, but don't expect any bit of gratitude either.
You EVER Fucking dance on my husbands grave or any soldiers grave you'de have so many people out ot kill you themselves it would not even be funny ! This is probably why you won't do it "cause I am not that kind of person" is not how I see it.
Oh there's the I-m-going-to-take-everything-fucking-personal-and-whine-about-it person too :roll:
Stubborn as ever - Let's hope it pays off this time.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:To the people who are frustrated by slamming their heads into the wall, take comfort in the fact that every Sokarwarti is saying is basically a lie. Should she ever find herself in a kill-or-be-killed situation, we all know that she would disregard all her superior morale principles in a split second.
That's a false accusation.
Unless you have no survival instincts, it isnt.
I don't have any survival instincts.
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Sokartawi wrote:I don't have any survival instincts.
How do you know? Have you ever been in a situation were they would be needed?
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Jason L. Miles wrote:
I've been in multiple lifethreatening situations.
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Sokartawi wrote:
Jason L. Miles wrote:
Really? What were they?
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Jason L. Miles wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
Jason L. Miles wrote: How do you know? Have you ever been in a situation were they would be needed?
Really? What were they?
Already said in this thread, not going to repeat everything all the time.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Sokartawi wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: You probably won't mind my dancing on yours if you would have the chance again to give your precious life for your nation, and took it, either then?

Don't worry though, I'm not that kind of person, but don't expect any bit of gratitude either.
You EVER Fucking dance on my husbands grave or any soldiers grave you'de have so many people out ot kill you themselves it would not even be funny ! This is probably why you won't do it "cause I am not that kind of person" is not how I see it.
Oh there's the I-m-going-to-take-everything-fucking-personal-and-whine-about-it person too :roll:
FUCK OFF BITCH !! You said "You probably won't mind my dancing on yours" I'm just saying that if you ever did dance on his grave or any other soliders graves for that matter you would have many people out to kill you! It's the goddammed truth Bitch ! If you didn't understand what I was trying to say then you are a fucking retard!

And by the way ... Have you considered why I would be so fucking frustrated with you ! I have asked you politely, I have asked you rudely. Leave my husband alone ! He has his views you have yours neither of you are gonna change eachothers minds and all you are doing is pissing off my husband and in turn making my life suck as well, when he gets pissed at the things you are saying he brings the mood of the house down and I don't need that happeneing anymore!

So I think I have the right to take shit personal you bitch, when it affects my life I have the right to bitch you out for it !
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Sokartawi wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: That's a false accusation.
Unless you have no survival instincts, it isnt.
Then you have a mental defect.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Mrs Kendall wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote: You EVER Fucking dance on my husbands grave or any soldiers grave you'de have so many people out ot kill you themselves it would not even be funny ! This is probably why you won't do it "cause I am not that kind of person" is not how I see it.
FUCK OFF BITCH !! You said "You probably won't mind my dancing on yours" I'm just saying that if you ever did dance on his grave or any other soliders graves for that matter you would have many people out to kill you! It's the goddammed truth Bitch ! If you didn't understand what I was trying to say then you are a fucking retard!

And by the way ... Have you considered why I would be so fucking frustrated with you ! I have asked you politely, I have asked you rudely. Leave my husband alone ! He has his views you have yours neither of you are gonna change eachothers minds and all you are doing is pissing off my husband and in turn making my life suck as well, when he gets pissed at the things you are saying he brings the mood of the house down and I don't need that happeneing anymore!

So I think I have the right to take shit personal you bitch, when it affects my life I have the right to bitch you out for it !
Can't help it if he replies to my posts now can I? I'm not going after you, you two are comming after me all the damn time. If you don't like me, it isn't hard to avoid me...

*points to the forum index link and invites you to press it*
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote: Unless you have no survival instincts, it isnt.
I prefer to see it that I'm in control of my actions, instead of being an animal controlled by instincts.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Sokartawi wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: Oh there's the I-m-going-to-take-everything-fucking-personal-and-whine-about-it person too :roll:

Can't help it if he replies to my posts now can I? I'm not going after you, you two are comming after me all the damn time. If you don't like me, it isn't hard to avoid me...

Look it takes two to fight, you said that you would ignore him the last time I asked you. You have the choice to stick to what you said or you could just ignore how it causes problems in our home and be the bitch you are being, too bad you chose to be the bitch. I have asked my husband to ignore your posts but obviously he can't stay away because of your insane accusations about soldiers.

I fucking hate it when people say they will do something and then go behind that persons back and just continue to do what caused problems in the first place. You have the choice to IGNORE HIS POSTS!! Just do it bitch ! He is a retired soldier with PTSD of course he will try and defend what he believes to the end no matter what problems it causes. That is something people with PTSD have problems with!

I thought I explained this whole situation to you clearly but apparently not. You are so thick headed and I can't understand why anyone continues to fight with you. It's such a waste of time people.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Mrs Kendall wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote: FUCK OFF BITCH !! You said "You probably won't mind my dancing on yours" I'm just saying that if you ever did dance on his grave or any other soliders graves for that matter you would have many people out to kill you! It's the goddammed truth Bitch ! If you didn't understand what I was trying to say then you are a fucking retard!

Look it takes two to fight, you said that you would ignore him the last time I asked you. You have the choice to stick to what you said or you could just ignore how it causes problems in our home and be the bitch you are being, too bad you chose to be the bitch. I have asked my husband to ignore your posts but obviously he can't stay away because of your insane accusations about soldiers.

I fucking hate it when people say they will do something and then go behind that persons back and just continue to do what caused problems in the first place. You have the choice to IGNORE HIS POSTS!! Just do it bitch ! He is a retired soldier with PTSD of course he will try and defend what he believes to the end no matter what problems it causes. That is something people with PTSD have problems with!

I thought I explained this whole situation to you clearly but apparently not. You are so thick headed and I can't understand why anyone continues to fight with you. It's such a waste of time people.
You idiot, you can't force me out of a thread that's about MY beliefs. I have the obligation to defend them here, and you should understand that too. I defend what I believe in to the end as well. And I hardly do anything behind your back, since YOU TWO started it, AGAIN.

So go convince your husband that's a waste of time.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Sokartawi wrote: You idiot, you can't force me out of a thread that's about MY beliefs. I have the obligation to defend them here, and you should understand that too. I defend what I believe in to the end as well. And I hardly do anything behind your back, since YOU TWO started it, AGAIN.

So go convince your husband that's a waste of time.
I NEVER Said get out of this thread ! I said leave my fucking husbands comments alone. It's as simple as that, or are you this kind of person who just can't leave things be, are you the type of person who must have the last word with everyone? God, :roll: :roll: how is it that you got the impression I wanted you to leave this thread alone entirely... I was just telling these people who argue with you that they are just wasting their time. It's as simple as that!

I can't vouch for my husbands actions but the reason I started this again is because you won't respect my wishes in leaving my husbands messages alone.

I've tried convincing him and I did just explain to you why he cannot stay away didn't I? Or am I just going crazy here? :roll:

Going and replying to my husbands responses is going behind my back and doing something you said you wouldn't do !
You told me you would leave him alone and what are you doing? You are fighting with him again! That is going behind my back and causing problems again. :roll: :roll:
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Kuroneko wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:Killing that murderer does not save him from getting karma, because he was WILLING to kill, and will not lose that willingness. Same with most soldiers, they are willing to kill and therefore are wrong, and it doesn't matter if they actually end up in killing someone or not. This murderer will do it again when you aren't around, and have to correct this trait. Murdering them does not correct it, and probably only makes him more pissed off and violent.
Since personality is to a very large degree shaped by the environment one grows up in, a new life is the best hope for salvation this would-be murderer could have.
Disagreed, that person could still develop murderous traits again due to what happened to him last time.
Kuroneko wrote:Moreover, even if the intent to kill is what is actually important, killing him before he forms that intent for many more people would obviously be better for his karma, so this effectively changes nothing.
Uhh that does not make any sense to me.
Kuroneko wrote:Unless, of course, there no difference between a soldier who is willing to kill under certain circumstances, but does not, and a Hitler-esque character that planned and was responsible for the deaths of many millions. That position I find ludicrous, but it may be just what you intend. Is it?
Already explained this all before. Even had Hitler in the example.

Summary:

Hitler was worse because Hitler did other things besides ordering the deaths of others. He incited hate, he indoctrinated his population, and so on.

What's the difference between someone that kills one person, and someone that kills a dozen, or someone that wants to but does not? Not much, all of them have to learn that killing is wrong, and they will have to change their actions. However they are also indebted to each person that they harmed, unless these persons forgive them.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Mrs Kendall wrote:Or am I just going crazy here?
Probably.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :x
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Sokartawi wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote:Or am I just going crazy here?
Probably.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :x
Oh just fuck right off you bitch ! [sarcasm]I'm obviously not going to convince you to leave him alone and I'm obviously not going to convince him to leave your posts alone so why don't I just go live by myself with my kids in order to be happy in my own home ![/sarcasm]

Gimme a fucking break you bitch ! You frustrate me to no end and I can't believe you would be willing to damage one's relationship with her husband over trying to get the last word in! You are a poor excuse for a human being you know that! :evil:
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Sokartawi wrote:
Perinquus wrote: Folks, I am a police officer, and let me tell you, Sokartawi is living in fantasyland.
No, you're living in a fucked-up land.
As I said before, how convenient for you just to be able to write off anyone who falls outside your precious little charmed circle. You have had the sheer luck to be born into a peaceful, stable land, during a peaceful, stable period, and you arrogantly preen yourself over it. Don't uncork the champagne just yet. You might just as easily been born in Rwanda, Cambodia, El salvador, or any of a thousand other trouble spots on earth. You got lucky. The fact is that violence is something real people are unfortunately required to deal with on occasion. You've never had to because you've ben sheltered. Not everyone is so fortunate. I repeat, for some of us, violence and violent people present a real problem. Your solution to this problem is to do nothing at all. Unacceptable.
Sokartawi wrote:
Perinquus wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:I do not say you have less right to live. Did you read my statement? It started with "your life is not worth less at all" I think?
Right here, you're talkin' the talk, but you're not walkin' the walk. You say that you don't hold his lfe to be less valuable. Yet the course of action you advise has the practical effect of making his life less valuable, because he would lose that life in any confrontation with a homicidal person if he followed your advise.
So?
I see. He'd get killed, but so what right?

Thank you. You just proved my point. You really don't consider his life to be especially valuable.
Sokartawi wrote:
Perinquus wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
That is correct. Better to suffer a wrong then to cause one.
It's a damn good thing defending yourself from a deadly threat, even with lethal force is not, in fact, a wrong. Again, the fact that you seek to define it as such does not make that definition valid.
Again, I don't see the difference between killing in self defence, killing for fun, killing in war, or killing to 'save' other people. It's all killing. And I call it all murder.
You can call a tail a leg too, it does not make the name fit.
Sokartawi wrote:
Perinquus wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:I'd say it's courageous and noble to do anything and be willing to sacrifice everything to make the universe a better place.
The problem is that your way DOESN'T make the universe a better place. It makes it a worse one. It allows bullies, thugs, and other violence prone people to act unopposed..
However those people will be greatly reduced in number, and might eventually disappear alltogether.
And if pigs had wings they could fly.

You still do not have a solution to what to do about people who have already turned to violence, or people who turn to violence as their first choice of tactics. You simply pretend such people do not exist. Well, sorry, they do, and making nice and singing "All we need is love" is not a solution to the problem such people represent.
Sokartawi wrote:
Perinquus wrote:I see you completely ignored my earlier post, wherein I pointed out that offering no resistance to, or appeasing a violent person may embolden him to further violence, reinforcing his conviction that violence will get him the result he wants, and reinforcing his ego-gratifying feeling of dominance - thus refuting the idea that violence inevitably leads to more violence. On some occasions it does, but on some occasions, what leads to more violence is non-violence, where the threat of retaliatory force, on the other hand, may serve as a deterrent. This has been recognized sine at least the time of ancient Rome (Si vis pacem para bellum), and probably long before.
While threat of force migth "work" for some time, you cannot maintain it indefinately. And if you try, it will only result in tyranny and oppresion, and that's not a situation that's acceptable either.
Sorry, the historical record shows that being strong and willing to defend yourself has a far better record of keeping you safe and secure than being non-violent. Vague generalized assertions (entirely unsupported by any evidence I might add), about how readiness to fight will always end in tyranny are meaningless.
Sokartawi wrote:
Perinquus wrote:I see you are ignoring this point. Could it be because it's historically verifiable, and you have no effective answer?
Like I said, I still see war, so it hasn't been a solution for the last 10k years or so. Time for something new.
Again, welcome to the real world. There has always been war, and there always will be. Humans often end up competing with each other for resources, territory, power, etc. This is unpleasant but the world's not perfect. We experience fear, anger, envy, and all these other things because they are survival traits built into us by evolution. Sometimes these things lead us to fight each other. Pious platitudes are not going to change this.

There are no perfect solutions. Military readiness will not guarantee safety, but it has a far better record than complete pacifism. Your absurd statement of "time for something new" is nothing but a stupid fantasy. For one thing, pacifism is not new. Your choice of Tibet as an example is proof enough of this. It's been tried before AND IT FAILED!

I'll agree that if everyone would just be nice, then we could do without violence. However, this would only work as long as EVERYONE abides by the rules. There has never, ever been a time in history where this has been the case. So why in the name of hell do you want to base a system of conduct on a condition that does not exist, has never existed, and which the evidence suggests will never exist? Let's see, we can base our system of morality on a realistic understanding of human behavior, or we can base it on wishful thinking about how the world and people ought to be, but historically never have been. Gee, I wonder which approach will work and which one won't. :roll:
Sokartawi wrote:
Perinquus wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: Pre-occupation Tibet maybe?
And look how effectively such methods served them.
I believe that was necessairy to spread their wisdom throughout the world.
Their wisdom? So it's wisdom to get yourself invaded, occupied, and oppressed?

They're not wise, they were FOOLS. Had they been strong and ready to fight, they might have deterred such an invasion. They got taken over because they were easy targets. Natural born victims. Contrast this the Swiss, who remained free, even though surrounded by Nazi occupied territory, because they were ready to fight. Hitler probably would have invaded Switzerland as well had they not been willing to do so. But there was nothing in Switzerland that made it worth the price he'd have had to pay. There's nothing in Tibet that would have made it worth a high price to the Chinese either. But the Chinese didn't have to pay a high price because pacifism encourages aggressors, it does not stop violence, and your silly little fantasies to the contrary do not change this.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Sokartawi wrote:
Perinquus wrote:I see you are ignoring this point. Could it be because it's historically verifiable, and you have no effective answer?
Like I said, I still see war, so it hasn't been a solution for the last 10k years or so. Time for something new.
Actually, this statement is so incredibly moronic I had to come back to it. If something doesn't work 100% of the time, it's useless, and should be abandoned.

By this same logic, I could assert that since I still see people dying of cancer, heart disease, stokes, etc. modern medicine is obviously not effective. Time for something new.
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

Sokartawi wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:Since personality is to a very large degree shaped by the environment one grows up in, a new life is the best hope for salvation this would-be murderer could have.
Disagreed, that person could still develop murderous traits again due to what happened to him last time.
Could and will are two different things. Unless, of course, karma predetermines things to a very large degree, in which case this sutation becomes very peculiar: if karma is truly that deterministic, pretty soon the would-be murderer would have no chance of salvaging himself, all the while being reincarnated to continue his evil acts, so that no one can stop his evil ways! Taken to this extreme of determinism, this 'karma' quite directly perpetuates evil while ignoring the good, as you've implied that good acts do not mend karma previously.
Sokartawi wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:Moreover, even if the intent to kill is what is actually important, killing him before he forms that intent for many more people would obviously be better for his karma, so this effectively changes nothing.
Uhh that does not make any sense to me.
The idea is simple: working in your karma-based morality, if intending to kill one person is bad, intending to kill a lot of people should be proportionally worse. Obviously, then, if the would-be murderer of a small number of people killed before he forms the intent to kill a large amount of people, he would suffer a comparatively lesser penalty to his karma. The fact that you are unwilling to sacrifice a some (a comparative smaller amount!) of your own karma for the (relative) well-being of his means you are acting selfishly.
Sokartawi wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:Unless, of course, there no difference between a soldier who is willing to kill under certain circumstances, but does not, and a Hitler-esque character that planned and was responsible for the deaths of many millions. That position I find ludicrous, but it may be just what you intend. Is it?
Already explained this all before. Even had Hitler in the example.
Hitler in particular is irrelevant; he was merely used as an example of 'evilness'. To clarify, in order to escape the charge of selfishness, one must erase the distinction between someone willing to kill in self-defense (as you prohibit this), but is in all other respects unviolent and of good character, with a someone intending to kill a large amount of people (but to be fair, let's say that this hypothetical person is in all other respects equal, in the sense that he, unlike the real Hitler, has no interest in subverting others to his evil ways, inciting hate, etc.). My question to you is: do you deny this distinction (in the morally relevant sense) or not?
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Sokartawi wrote:Yes but not always.
Yes, always. Take a good long look at patrolling officers when you see them next time.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Sokartawi wrote: Already said in this thread, not going to repeat everything all the time.
None of those were actually life threatening situations. You think they are but they aren't.

A life threatening situation would be someone actually trying to kill you.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:<snip>
Also some other reasons but can always spew more later.
Feel free to tell me but if the first three reasons are all your objections that's pretty weak and a repitition of the fact that you find your life directionless just reinforces the validity of my suggestion that you get yourself a big bear hug and a trip to a counselor.

So I'm guessing I can expect no response to thie above?
Please realize that i'm going to start having to PM and pester you by e-mail if you persist in not answering things because I'd like a response or a concession, either one would do.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Sokartawi wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Sokartawi wrote: I don't have any survival instincts.
I prefer to see it that I'm in control of my actions, instead of being an animal controlled by instincts.
But you ARE an animal, who is endowed with certain survival instincts. If you dont have them you have a mental defect. In fact, because it could potentially cause harm to you, it is more like a disorder than a defect.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote: Feel free to tell me but if the first three reasons are all your objections that's pretty weak and a repitition of the fact that you find your life directionless just reinforces the validity of my suggestion that you get yourself a big bear hug and a trip to a counselor.

So I'm guessing I can expect no response to thie above?
Please realize that i'm going to start having to PM and pester you by e-mail if you persist in not answering things because I'd like a response or a concession, either one would do.
I'm currently very busy with other things, and the time I do have for myself I rather spend on things I like instead of debating like this, which I hate.

However we might be able to use IM and post the log, that might resolve the whole thing a lot quicker.
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Sokartawi wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote: Then you have a mental defect.
But you ARE an animal, who is endowed with certain survival instincts. If you dont have them you have a mental defect. In fact, because it could potentially cause harm to you, it is more like a disorder than a defect.
I don't consider myself an animal at all. Instincts should not influence anyone's behavour.