Adam & Eve

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Strider119
Youngling

Adam & Eve

Post by Strider119 »

According to the Bible, we all came from the 2 original humans ... A&E. Right?

Well dosent that mean that we are all inbred then?

If we met A&E in heaven would they be tottaly smarter than us? Since they would be the only 2 people up there without some sort of genetic defect in some grade or another, would they have higher cognitive and rationalizing skills? Maybe they have access to more of thier brain, since we don't use our minds to thier full capacity.

Perhaps the reason we don't utilize our brains to the fullest is because we are all inbred hicks

Same goes for Moses and the ark. I mean he took 2 of every animal on ther planet and put it in a boat? and then the entire world population of say, oh i dunno, RACOONS, is directly descended from the 2 racoons on Noahs boat?

That's some crazy shit right there.

kid tested, mother approved:
Strider119
Think you can cook? I got a grappling hook
Let's make this quick cuz I'm really booked
I'm a devious degenerate, defender of the devil
Shut down all the trash compactor's on the detention level

My backpack's got jets
I'm boba the fett
I bounty hunt for jaba hut
To finance my vette
I chill in deep space
A mask is over my face
I deliver the prize but I still narrow my eyes
Cuz my time I don't like to waste.
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

Said this myself to Fundamentalists sooo many times. Their reaction is always "Huh? What?".
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Re: Adam & Eve

Post by jegs2 »

Strider119 wrote:Same goes for Moses and the ark. I mean he took 2 of every animal on ther planet and put it in a boat? and then the entire world population of say, oh i dunno, RACOONS, is directly descended from the 2 racoons on Noahs boat?
Moses and the ark?
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

jegs2 wrote:
Strider119 wrote:Same goes for Moses and the ark. I mean he took 2 of every animal on ther planet and put it in a boat? and then the entire world population of say, oh i dunno, RACOONS, is directly descended from the 2 racoons on Noahs boat?
Moses and the ark?
Noah and the ark.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

One Christian told me that Adam and Eve were the first Humans with souls, but there with other humans running around at the time.

Does that mean we all have half a soul?
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

TheFeniX wrote:One Christian told me that Adam and Eve were the first Humans with souls, but there with other humans running around at the time.

Does that mean we all have half a soul?

That's a better explaination and makes more sense than some of the stuff I've heard, but then it sort of contradicts some of the dogma about the creation.

One of the things I heard as to why it was okay for Adam & Eve's kids to interbreed is because human genes were much more pure then and hadn't developed any abnomralities yet because they had not lived on the Earth very long yet. This was also the explaination why so many people in the older parts of the Bible lived much longer than people do today. :)

Adam & Eve
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

Tsyroc wrote:That's a better explaination and makes more sense than some of the stuff I've heard, but then it sort of contradicts some of the dogma about the creation.

One of the things I heard as to why it was okay for Adam & Eve's kids to interbreed is because human genes were much more pure then and hadn't developed any abnomralities yet because they had not lived on the Earth very long yet. This was also the explaination why so many people in the older parts of the Bible lived much longer than people do today. :)

Adam & Eve
That's what i've always believed. You will notice in line with that theory, that God doesn't outlaw incest until later also.
Strider119
Youngling

Post by Strider119 »

neoolong wrote:
jegs2 wrote:
Moses and the ark?
Noah and the ark.

it was my lame little subtle attempt at humor. poprously getting it wrong as a joke

sorry, i suck

hard target:
Strider119
Think you can cook? I got a grappling hook
Let's make this quick cuz I'm really booked
I'm a devious degenerate, defender of the devil
Shut down all the trash compactor's on the detention level

My backpack's got jets
I'm boba the fett
I bounty hunt for jaba hut
To finance my vette
I chill in deep space
A mask is over my face
I deliver the prize but I still narrow my eyes
Cuz my time I don't like to waste.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Tsyroc wrote:One of the things I heard as to why it was okay for Adam & Eve's kids to interbreed is because human genes were much more pure then and hadn't developed any abnomralities yet because they had not lived on the Earth very long yet. This was also the explaination why so many people in the older parts of the Bible lived much longer than people do today. :)
And is, of course bullshit., and which contradicts the Creationist favourite 'all mutations are harmful' line, as it means that all locii at which there is more than four possible alleles represents some sort of genetic deterioration.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

The inbreeding question is something that's grated on my nerves for a long time. It's quite a convincing argument against taking the Bible literally all the time (although there are parts which correspond to actual history).
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

I once told a creationist A&E would preclude we were all inbred, and he said:
"So?" and shrugged.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

If the Bible is literal, and Adam and Eve were the first and only humans until they had kids, then where did Cain's wife come from?
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

neoolong wrote:If the Bible is literal, and Adam and Eve were the first and only humans until they had kids, then where did Cain's wife come from?
Again, I've put this to a Fundamentalist before... Answer: "Eve." :shock: They also saw no problem with this.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

neoolong wrote:If the Bible is literal, and Adam and Eve were the first and only humans until they had kids, then where did Cain's wife come from?
The gnostic answer would be that Cain's wife came from Lilith. Or something like that.

At least it makes more sense (with respect to biology) than the idea that his wife was his full sister.
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Tsyroc wrote:One of the things I heard as to why it was okay for Adam & Eve's kids to interbreed is because human genes were much more pure then and hadn't developed any abnomralities yet because they had not lived on the Earth very long yet. This was also the explaination why so many people in the older parts of the Bible lived much longer than people do today. :)
"Genetic purity" will do nothing to help ordinary humans live upward of 600 years, like Noah was purported to. The whole idea is inane.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

One explanation I've seen for Noah's age was that the Earth had a faster orbit and/or rotation before the flood, thus throwing off the years estimate.

Of course, that royally screws up all other time estimates based on the Bible, but most fundies don't realize that they're shooting themselves in the feet when they use that argument.
Korvan
Jedi Master

Post by Korvan »

I would argue that inbreeding was a crucial factor in the development of humans. Inbreeding would allow the genes that seperate humans from near-humans to gain a foothold. Then, once they are established, they can spread out, diminishing any negative effects from inbreeding.

Doesn't all of our mitochondrial DNA (RNA?) point back to a common female ancestor for all of us? It just isn't the bibical Eve.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Crayz9000 wrote:One explanation I've seen for Noah's age was that the Earth had a faster orbit and/or rotation before the flood, thus throwing off the years estimate.
That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Even if we assume that Noah was only actually 100 years old, that's still a faster rotation around the sun by a factor of six. Earth rotates around the sun at about 30 km/s. This explanation would have us believe that at Noah's time, Earth was going at 180 km/s and has now slowed down to its current rate, which is an acceleration of -25 m/s/yr, or -0.06 m/s/dy, assuming the Earth is a scant 6 000 years old. What in Hell is producing 4E23 N of force consistently pushing against the Earth? That's the approximate equivalent of the fucking Moon slamming against the Earth with 1 g of acceleration!
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Niven wrote an interesting short based on this premise, entitled "What Can You Say About Chocolate-Covered Manhole Covers?"
Traceroute
Youngling

Post by Traceroute »

Well, if everything was truly created in one fell swoop, Mr. Wong brings up a good point on the site ... Why didn't Adam & Eve immediately collapse & die from all the diseases and parasites they must have been carrying? I don't care how "pure" your DNA is, having more than one of any of the virulent plagues in history at the same time would pretty much kill you.

Oh, and don't leave out the hemorrhagic fevers. A&E would be dead within 2 weeks (at most) from Ebola, if nothing else killed them faster.
Repeat after me:
i am a beautiful and unique snowflake

My avatar is a resized wallpaper named Accretion by Greg Martin.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Crayz9000 wrote: The gnostic answer would be that Cain's wife came from Lilith. Or something like that.

At least it makes more sense (with respect to biology) than the idea that his wife was his full sister.
Cool. That means Cain's wife was at least part demon since Lilith supposedly hooked up with a demon after kicking Adam to the curb. Of course they might have just called the guy a demon because Lilith let slip to Eve that he was a "demon in the sack and much better than Adam". :twisted:
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

I thought Cain's wife was Lilith?
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

innerbrat wrote:I thought Cain's wife was Lilith?
I thought lilith was adam's first wife whom he left and she became the first force of evil or something?

She was his first wife anyway, before she got edited out.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

innerbrat wrote:I thought Cain's wife was Lilith?
Is that what happens in Vampire: The Masquerade?

I've been looking through some of the sources and it's pretty confusing. In one source Lilith is married to a demon named Asmodeus but in that passage I think she's also considered a demon already. Basically, Lilith in some form or another has been around a really long time so she's really hard to nail down.

One thing of note that I found. According to a excerpt from the Talmud Adam is the father of many ghouls and evil spirits. Apparently after getting kicked out of the Garden of Eden Adam sat around and meditated for 130 years. He was separated from Eve this whole time so supposedly the ghouls and evil spirits are the result of Adam's wet dreams. :?

Nice Reference Site on Lilith
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

The whole problem with Lilith is that it's formed from scattered bits and pieces. The story actually seems to have been tacked together after the fact... but it's an interesting addition at any rate, providing that you regard it as nothing more than folklore.

That's what I've started to regard the early parts of the Old Testament as, anyway. While Judges etc may indeed describe (to a certain amount of accuracy, or inaccuracy) historical events, Genesis seems mostly composed of tribal legends and customs applied to characters.