Reaction to extraterrestrial contact?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Reaction to extraterrestrial contact?

Post by Iroscato »

My question is simple; how would YOU react to a news report confirming a signal sent from another planet about 20 light years away was indeed created by advanced, sentient aliens? Would you raise an eyebrow and change the channel? Or whoop with glee, run out into the streets naked, and join the rioting taking place as a result?
Also, what kind of effects would such an event have on the economy? Religion? Society in general? The space exploration industry?
Would it create a huge boost in NASA funding, and a new golden age of space exploration, or destroy the fabric of society?

I personally would run over to my dad's (a fellow space nut) and hammer on the door, gibbering dementedly and happily. Then I'd collapse into joyous tears.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Reaction to extraterrestrial contact?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I created a thread like this about 6 nobths back. The conclusion was IIRC that there would be a brief spasm of celebrations and theological problems for those who care, followed by a "well, fine, they're ut there, but it'll take us twenty years to send a reply. and we'll never get to meet them. So what?"
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

"Huh. Cool." Read up on the initial reports and then go back to my daily routine.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I created a thread like this about 6 nobths back. The conclusion was IIRC that there would be a brief spasm of celebrations and theological problems for those who care, followed by a "well, fine, they're ut there, but it'll take us twenty years to send a reply. and we'll never get to meet them. So what?"
Yeah, unless the aliens themselves or one of their automated probes show up in our solar system, I don't see it being much different then this. Though if the signal was purposely sent to us and includes lots of juicy information, particularly of the scientific kind, it would probably generate more buzz and stay in the news longer as the information was routinely analyzed, with findings impacting our own understanding of science as well as technological applications.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

If it's just a signal we pick up, even one detected at us, from 20 light years away, the long-term difference will be negligable. We'll have one "big question" answered conclusively (apart from the nutjobs claiming it's a hoax) - we are indeed not alone in the universe.

The only long-term difference will be that SETI transforms itself into a interstellar phone box, letting generations of scientists and philosophers bounce messages off the aliens.

This asumes of course we can understand the language.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

I would be shocked. To detect an intelligent civilization only 20 lightyears away seems mindbogglingly unlikely. The implications would be staggering. Are they confined to their star system like us or are they a remote outpost of some pan-galactic civilization? If they are at the same level of development as us that is both an incredible coincedence and very worrying, because we would then rationally be contemplating a galaxy full of millions of such civilizations, and odds are that some of them are spamming up space with self-replicating machines. We would urgently need to find out more about our new neighbors.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Modax wrote:I would be shocked. To detect an intelligent civilization only 20 lightyears away seems mindbogglingly unlikely. The implications would be staggering. Are they confined to their star system like us or are they a remote outpost of some pan-galactic civilization?
Are there even any stars at 20 light years out? Only star I can think of which is that close is the Alpha Centauri system. (I say "system" because it's actually three stars orbiting each other.)
If they are at the same level of development as us that is both an incredible coincedence and very worrying, because we would then rationally be contemplating a galaxy full of millions of such civilizations, and odds are that some of them are spamming up space with self-replicating machines.
Self-replicating machines? Huh?

If they are at the same level of development as us, then they haven't developed self-replicating machines since we haven't.
We would urgently need to find out more about our new neighbors.
Absolutely.

My personal opinion? A lot of scientific and political discussion takes place, but nothing changes for the average Joe.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

StarSword wrote: Are there even any stars at 20 light years out? Only star I can think of which is that close is the Alpha Centauri system. (I say "system" because it's actually three stars orbiting each other.)
Yeah, there's at least 18.
http://www.solstation.com/stars.htm
If they are at the same level of development as us, then they haven't developed self-replicating machines since we haven't.
We may be only decades away from making self replicating machines. If there are millions of civilizations in the galaxy someone surely will have made them.
My personal opinion? A lot of scientific and political discussion takes place, but nothing changes for the average Joe.
Most likely. But if our galaxy turns out to be literally swarming with life, it's anyone's guess when extraterrestrial artifacts might turn up in our solar system, that surely will change things.
spooky spice
Redshirt

Post by spooky spice »

I'd phone the woman who likes to mock me for being a Trekkie and say Nerrrrr really loudly.
"Did I not just us the word 'puzzling'?"
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

spooky spice wrote:I'd phone the woman who likes to mock me for being a Trekkie and say Nerrrrr really loudly.
Good on you :wink:
I think our radio transmissions have only extended about 100 lightyears into the milky way anyway, so I think our best chances of getting a signal back will come in several thousand years. But, for the love of God...100 billion stars or more...there HAS to be life out there.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

First, I'd wait a couple of hours to make sure that this isn't just bad reporting in the news, my belief in them getting facts right has really gone down in recent years.

Second, once I knew it was real, talk to my friends excitedly about this, as it changed everything, and hope NASA gets a lot more funding because of this.

Third, I go back to life as normal, because really, there's nothing more I can do to help or hinder this.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

How powerful is the signal likely to be? The stronger it is, the easier it will be to confirm by receivers across the Earth.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

My jaw would hit the floor at the mind boggling statistical improbability of a sentient species capable of communicating with us within a radius of twenty lightyears, given the sheer scale of the universe and astronomical timeframes involved that species can evolve in.

The odds of just happening to contact a species that would virtually have had to evolve in a parallel time frame to us, at a comparable technological level to permit communications and within a insignificant handful of lightyears away from us really stretches credibility.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Singular Intellect wrote:My jaw would hit the floor at the mind boggling statistical improbability of a sentient species capable of communicating with us within a radius of twenty lightyears, given the sheer scale of the universe and astronomical timeframes involved that species can evolve in.

The odds of just happening to contact a species that would virtually have had to evolve in a parallel time frame to us, at a comparable technological level to permit communications and within a insignificant handful of lightyears away from us really stretches credibility.
Not really. While the odds are long for a variety of reasons, the galaxy and the universe are huge. Its entirely possible statistically.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alerik the Fortunate
Jedi Knight

Post by Alerik the Fortunate »

If it were from an extremely ancient and advanced civilization, it's not unfeasible that they may have left outposts with mechanisms intended to communicate with societies nearer to our level. This vastly extends the timeframe over which communication is possible.
Every day is victory.
No victory is forever.