Canadian Parents Raising "Genderless" Baby

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Canadian Parents Raising "Genderless" Baby

Post by Broomstick »

Just in case anyone is wondering - Simon_Jester is doing a very good job of speaking on my behalf/putting words in my mouth, which is why I've largely shut up. Carry on.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

:oops: Thanks, though it feels kind of awkward when it's said that way.

Perhaps an example less profound and less outside standard daily experiences of the modern day would help too: think about tattoos. You can get a tattoo for all kinds of reasons, some of them very profound, some of them very frivolous. The tattoo may have deep meaning to you- it should, if you're permanently inking it onto your skin.

But display of tattoos is not always socially accepted, and certain kinds of tattoos are even more socially unacceptable- a guy with a swastika tattooed on his forehead is going to be pretty damned unpopular anywhere he goes. There isn't much you can do about that.

People who have tattoos, and who live outside of very small insulated subcultures, learn to cover up their tattoos. Or they learn to accept that their tattoos will have social consequences- people will see all the ink on their arms and make inferences about their personality and history, some of which are justified and some of which aren't.

Now, a man with two or three square feet of tattoos can protest that his workplace shouldn't require him to cover them up. In some sense it is not fair, but it's hard to avoid. Those social standards aren't going to change overnight, and the case for reform is not overwhelming- you can't point to millions and millions of people who are disenfranchised by their possession of a tattoo, for instance.

So how foolish is it to raise a child while attempting to prevent them from ever having to deal with anyone who might find a tattoo unprofessional, ugly, or otherwise a negative marker that should be covered up in the public sphere? Someone who gets a tattoo needs to know what they are getting into, for their own protection, because otherwise they will constantly bang heads with people over the issue of their tattoos, and will often lose.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I think the most important part is being understated here:

IF you raise a child genderless, even IF the environment is perfectly supporting - you will rob the child of the experience of growing up into a certain gender.
It's great if that experience is non-limiting - but growing up as the gender fitting your gender identity is an important experience, and you should not rob a child of that.

Now the article quoted by Maj severely lessens my concern that Storms parents actually plan to do that. Instead they just seem to have a very hands-off approach in regards to gender, which is fine by me.
However, it is my understanding that Bakustra was defending a "genderless"-approach - whether or not the parents are doing it has no impact on that. Thus, unless i am mistaken, i still want to see him defend his claims.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

From the sound of it, there's no real danger of Storm being raised 'genderless,' and my worry that the parents would try to keep the child from making up their mind until "enough time" had passed in their eyes are probably baseless.

But there's still the very real concern for me that they will pull Storm out of society to such an extent that they're not prepared to deal with it. So much depends on exactly how they go about teaching Storm (how 'unschooled' is their 'unschooling' going to be?), and how carefully they insure that Storm interacts with other children even if some of them are mean, and factors like that.

Which I worry about, in light of the rather odd mindset required to say "we don't want to tell you whether our child is a boy or a girl, and we'll tell the world that we don't want to tell the world!"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Manthor
Youngling

Post by Manthor »

Gender is very much something that has both a biological and social dimension, IMO. The child will probably face some developmental issues down the line if the parents do persist in this....fallacy. But even with the home schooling, at some point Storm will have to interact with social peer groups - which may or may not undo any damage suffered by the child.