Blackhole question?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Blackhole question?

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Blackholes are so dense that their gravity wont allow anthing to escape, not even light. But how can gravity, that travels at the speed of light, escape?
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Gravity isn't a particle that has speed (at least not in generally accepted physics) so nothing actually escapes from the black hole. The black hole warps space-time because of its mass, causing gravity.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

As far as I know (and since I am not a physicist, that is very little) gravity does not travel at all, but changes in gravity propagate at C.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

To quote Kuroneko, "this is a bit like asking if sod can escape a steep hill."
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Gustav32Vasa wrote:Blackholes are so dense that their gravity wont allow anthing to escape, not even light.
Even if you're thinking of gravity as a force carried by messenger particles (the graviton model) rather than a distortion of space-time, surely this would just imply that gravitons don't interact with other gravitons. Why would you assume that they did? After all photons don't interact with other photons.
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

I don't recall saying that, but... you're thinking about this in reverse. It's actually because information can't locally travel faster than light that the gravitational field of a black hole remains the same.

Imagine a spherical mass distribution. Under Newtonian gravity, the shell theorem guarantees that the external field is the same no matter what the radial distribution is, as long as it maintains spherical symmetry: the external field is the same as that of a point-mass. In GTR, there is a similar result (Birkhoff's theorem) that guarantees that the field of such a distribution (nonrotating, uncharged) is always the Schwarzschild solution.

Now imagine a spherically symmetric collapse. At any particular moment, the external field will stay exactly the same as it was, and as the edge of the matter moves inward, it will bend spacetime to match the Schwarzschild solution. When a certain bit of mass crosses the event horizon, that information cannot escape the black hole, and so even when it is crushed out of existence at the singularity, the fact that it no longer exists cannot affect the external field--otherwise, information about the state of the mass bit would escape the black hole. Thus, the impossibility of information escaping a black hole actually requires the external field to stay the same no matter what happens to the matter.

It is also why isolated black hole solutions are vacuum: all the matter meets the singularity and no longer exists, but the fact that it doesn't cannot be communicated past the horizon, so the external field still acts the same. Also because of this, the field still has a well-defined and observable "geometric mass" that can be treated as the black hole's mass.

---

Perhaps I'm speaking a bit too loosely. According to any external static observer, the would-be black hole never finishes collapse, in the sense all of its matter can still be seen (just red-shifted outside of practical limits of observation). For about fifty years after the Schwarzschild geometry was discovered, the Russian literature called black holes "frozen stars" (the English was the slightly less vivid "collapsed stars"); they were seen as the result of a gravitational collapse "frozen in time" by gravitational time dilation. That any particular piece of matter in the collapse crossed the horizon and reaches the singularity in finite proper time wasn't fully appreciated.

An interesting side-effect is that when more matter falls into the black hole, the event horizon expands outwards to meet it: the size of the event horizon depends not only on the matter than has already collapsed, but also on the matter than will collapse in the future.
"The fool saith in his heart that there is no empty set. But if that were so, then the set of all such sets would be empty, and hence it would be the empty set." -- Wesley Salmon
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

Starglider wrote:Even if you're thinking of gravity as a force carried by messenger particles (the graviton model) rather than a distortion of space-time, surely this would just imply that gravitons don't interact with other gravitons. Why would you assume that they did?
I would assume that they did because gravity is known to be non-linear. But if we're talking about quantum forces, they're mediated by virtual particles, which can be superluminal.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Well a further question about black holes.

Having done some GR, when we briefly covered black holes, it seemed that the event horizon was the radius in the swarzschild metric where all geodesics would tend to the origin. Which means that all particles in free fall and all light rays would eventually (in their perspective) hit the singularity.

But what i'm not sure of is if you have something with engines just inside the event horizon, can it escape (disregarding absolutely any practical concerns about durability or power outputs)?

I mean if you take a newtonian argument that inside the event horizon the escape velocity is infinite, and so adding any finite amount of potential energy from the ships fuel is still not going to be much help in lifting you above that. But newtonian thinking isnt too much help for most of GR... Is the situation analagous to how with a pendulum with a rod, there is no starting point you can release it from so that it has a speed greater than zero when it reaches the top, but if you give it a big enough shove then any starting point can go arbitrarily fast when it reaches the top? (ie a free particle cant escape, but something with engines can?)
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

The short answer is that every massive, non-tachyonic particle must travel in a timelike manner, i.e., it always stays within its local light-cone. That means that if all light signals, which form the edges of the light-cones, inevitably fall inward, then so will every massive particle, no matter how much or in what manner it accelerates.

--

If you look at the Schwarzschild metric ds² = Adt² - [dr²/A + r²(dθ² + sin²θdφ²)], A = 1-2m/r, you'll notice that not only is it singular at r = 2m (Schwarschild radius), but there's a certain kind of transition there: the signs of the coefficients of dt² and dr² switch. Externally, r is a spacelike direction and t is a timelike one, but internally, the opposite is the case. So, just like moving in the time direction is mandatory and unidirectional, one should expect that that inside the horizon moving in the r direction would be likewise.

Slightly more precisely, if one were draw light-cones on a (t,r) half-plane (which have as edges the tangent vectors of intersecting ingoing and outgoing radial light signals at that point), one finds that for r>>2m, they're quite ordinary, with edges of slopes r/t = ±1. However, they 'tip over' the closer one gets to r = 2m, with the lightcones there having one edge on the horizon itself. This means the best one can do in moving outward is to stay right on the horizon (which involves moving at the speed of light); crossing over takes one into a region where all the light-cones point toward the singularity.
"The fool saith in his heart that there is no empty set. But if that were so, then the set of all such sets would be empty, and hence it would be the empty set." -- Wesley Salmon
Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

Once you are inside the horizon, distance towards the singularity is timelike - it is in your future, you cannot escape it, you cannot go 'backwards'. The only thing turning on your engines does is make you reach the singularity faster, because -every direction- leads to the singularity.
Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

And of course Kuroneko beats me with a better answer -_-
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

This is where the idea that space itself flows into a singularity comes from. If you're in a ship inside the event horizon and you point your engines toward the singularity and blast them as hard as you can, you're still going to fall toward it (faster, in fact, than otherwise). It's like trying to swim against an overpowering current.

It's also where you get that space and time flow out of the Big Bang singularity. Just as a black hole singularity is always in your future when you're inside the event horizon, the Big Bang singularity is always in your past when you're inside its event horizon (which the entire universe is).
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Surlethe wrote:It's also where you get that space and time flow out of the Big Bang singularity. Just as a black hole singularity is always in your future when you're inside the event horizon, the Big Bang singularity is always in your past when you're inside its event horizon (which the entire universe is).
Doesn't that mean that the interior of an event horizon is not causally connected to the rest of the universe, or am I misunderstanding you?
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

IIRC, photons DO escape from a singularity...albeit infinitely redshifted and thus invisible.

The strength of gravity is apparently independent of the frequency/wavelengths of the gravitic field's component gravitons.
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Enola Straight wrote:IIRC, photons DO escape from a singularity...albeit infinitely redshifted and thus invisible.
No, they don't... light cannot escape the event horizon.
(and no, "Hawkins Radiation" is not light coming out of the black hole)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

NoXion wrote:
Surlethe wrote:It's also where you get that space and time flow out of the Big Bang singularity. Just as a black hole singularity is always in your future when you're inside the event horizon, the Big Bang singularity is always in your past when you're inside its event horizon (which the entire universe is).
Doesn't that mean that the interior of an event horizon is not causally connected to the rest of the universe, or am I misunderstanding you?
If by "causally connected" you are restricted to events in the absolute future of an event within the horizon. The absolute past of the event can still include events outside the horizon — you can still be influenced by events outside the horizon at any point. This is why a black hole can grow.
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy