Christianity Versus Roleplaying

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Ravenwing
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravenwing »

Darth_Zod wrote:as far as the fundies are concerned, if it it deals with magic, it's bad and is obviously satanic. meh.
well EXCUUUUUSE me! Magic, wicca and paganism do not have anything to do with an evil concept that is central to a completely different religion. (sorry but that sort of talk gets right up my nose. i dont tell them they are evil just cause they worship something else)
Image"Iv got little devils running round the place eating socks and pencils, earlier tonight we sobered up someone who thinks hes a god of hangovers and half my wizards are trying to cheer up the cheerful fairy." -Terry pratchett, the hogfather
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Also, it paints a world without there diety, and one that's getting along just fine without him.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Christians can roleplay. They just have to be human warrior/fighter/knight/paladin/crusaders with a lawful/good allignment. Oh, and they must always, ALWAYS remind themselves that it is just a game. :roll:

It's worth a laugh.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Lazy Raptor wrote:Christians can roleplay. They just have to be human warrior/fighter/knight/paladin/crusaders with a lawful/good allignment. Oh, and they must always, ALWAYS remind themselves that it is just a game. :roll:

It's worth a laugh.
This is cool...

The comic

Lv. 8 Cleric can learn the real deal?

*goes off to join a game*
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

NO! :evil: Clerics are an abomination! You're better off being a dual claymore wielding berserker! Prayers are not spells! You cannot presume to control God like some kind of faucet! He does not bow to your every whim!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Ravenwing wrote:well EXCUUUUUSE me! Magic, wicca and paganism do not have anything to do with an evil concept that is central to a completely different religion. (sorry but that sort of talk gets right up my nose. i dont tell them they are evil just cause they worship something else)
In the religious views of Fundies, anything that's not them is a tool of the corruptor and tempter Satan. No, Really.

Xenophobia, ladies and gentelmen!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Lazy Raptor wrote:Christians can roleplay. They just have to be human warrior/fighter/knight/paladin/crusaders with a lawful/good allignment. Oh, and they must always, ALWAYS remind themselves that it is just a game. :roll:

It's worth a laugh.
Okay, so I'm a paladin this game. So what? I've also played a chaotic neutral cleric of Tempus, a lawful neutral Eastern monk, and a neutral evil blackguard. Oooooo, looks like you're wrong! Owned! :P

As for Jack Chick, I've gotten all the funny I can out of that. Its just not funny anymore for me. x_x
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ravenwing wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote:as far as the fundies are concerned, if it it deals with magic, it's bad and is obviously satanic. meh.
well EXCUUUUUSE me! Magic, wicca and paganism do not have anything to do with an evil concept that is central to a completely different religion. (sorry but that sort of talk gets right up my nose. i dont tell them they are evil just cause they worship something else)
i am aware of this. i was referring exclusively to the viewpoint of your average fundie moron.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

It's worth a laugh.
That never gets old. :lol:
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

LadyTevar wrote:
CrimsonRaine wrote:
Jesus, man, that's the goddamn point of it. Some people roleplay because it's fun, some people roleplay because they're creative geeks, but almost all people roleplay for escapism. Didn't any of these fundies play "Tea Party" when they were a kid? That's roleplaying, my cross-carrying friends. (which of course, is not directed towards any one here). :D

Crimson Raine
Remember Raine, it's called Hypocrasy (sp).
Hypocrisy :wink:

Maybe I should ask for a Grammar Nazi custom title...

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

...D'oh!

Damn you SPELLING! DAMN YOU!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Gah, crap, I was caught in the missspelling :oops: ...considering that's how I'd probably type Hypocrisy normally...the damning of spelling remains! DAMN YOU SPELLING!
Browncoat

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Ravenwing wrote:
the definition of occult literately is 'that which is hidden'. the occut world is elusive, mysterious and to many unnatainable and wonderful. the ultimate escape.
As opposed to the roleplaying definition of occult which apparently is "anything which is derived from horror literature".
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Peregrin Toker wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
the definition of occult literately is 'that which is hidden'. the occut world is elusive, mysterious and to many unnatainable and wonderful. the ultimate escape.
As opposed to the roleplaying definition of occult which apparently is "anything which is derived from horror literature".
Not quite. A cult in-game usually refers to a hidden group of worshipers of one of the evil deities. Not everything derived from horror literature is referred to as occult. (Any number of monsters, for example. Zombies don't exactly form cults. :P)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ravenwing
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravenwing »

Peregrin Toker wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
well actaully roleplaying occult is about the mystery. cults are hidden, of elite stature usually in some way because of thir status (apparently) and magic is also a popular theme because it is not widely explained and is therefore glorified wrongly as a childrens sparkly dust sort of thing, so it too is mysterious. from that point the 'magical' occult categories grow fast, including all the undead creatures and dragons and swords and people with wings and the list goes on ad infinitum
Image"Iv got little devils running round the place eating socks and pencils, earlier tonight we sobered up someone who thinks hes a god of hangovers and half my wizards are trying to cheer up the cheerful fairy." -Terry pratchett, the hogfather
Ravenwing
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravenwing »

Ravenwing wrote:
Peregrin Toker wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
well actaully roleplaying occult is about the mystery. cults are hidden, of elite stature usually in some way because of thir concealed standing(apparently) and magic is also a popular theme because it is not widely explained and is therefore glorified wrongly as a childrens sparkly dust sort of thing, so it too is mysterious cause nobody understands it. from that point the 'magical' occult categories grow fast, including all the undead creatures and dragons and swords and people with wings......the list goes on ad infinitum
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Rogue 9 wrote: Okay, so I'm a paladin this game. So what? I've also played a chaotic neutral cleric of Tempus, a lawful neutral Eastern monk, and a neutral evil blackguard. Oooooo, looks like you're wrong! Owned! :P
An Eastern monk! You dabble in martial arts and other occult practices! :wink:

I looked through the index of of his comics and didn't see anything about martial arts. Does he really think that karate and such are evil Satanic practices? I wouldn't put it past him.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

i used to have this fundie teacher that thought meditation wound up summoning spirits. :roll:

so you never know.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Re: Christianity Versus Roleplaying

Post by Cal Wright »

Darth Wong wrote: As one JW acquaintance says, it's all "occult". And anything "occult" is prohibited by the Bible's condemnation of witchcraft.
According to dictionary.com

occult

adj : having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding; "mysterious symbols"; "the mystical style of Blake"; "occult lore"; "the secret learning of the ancients" [syn: mysterious, mystic, mystical, secret] n : supernatural forces and events and beings collectively; "She doesn't believe in the supernatural" [syn: supernatural] v 1: cause an eclipse of (a celestial body) by intervention; "The Sun eclipses the moon today"; "Planets and stars often are occulted by other celestial bodies" [syn: eclipse] 2: become concealed or hidden from view or have its light extinguished; "The beam of light occults every so often" 3: hide from view; "The lids were occulting her eyes"

Hmm, the first part eh. That would mean you can't have a religion or a belief in say GOD then. Nice one.

On a side note. A guy at work one of those 'I'm a Chrisitian you have bad behaviour' types got pissed when another guy at work said something about him going to his 'cult' meetings.

A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
The followers of such a religion or sect.
A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
The object of such devotion.
An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

Oops. Looks like he was right after all.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Mayabird wrote: An Eastern monk! You dabble in martial arts and other occult practices! :wink:

I looked through the index of of his comics and didn't see anything about martial arts. Does he really think that karate and such are evil Satanic practices? I wouldn't put it past him.
While I have not heard it specifically from Chick, I have heard condemnation of matrial arts from other Fundamentalist
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Kitsune wrote: While I have not heard it specifically from Chick, I have heard condemnation of matrial arts from other Fundamentalist
"Martial" arts, sorry
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Darth_Zod wrote:i used to have this fundie teacher that thought meditation wound up summoning spirits. :roll:

so you never know.
I had a doctor who thought that my epilepsy/schizophrenia was caused by demonic posession.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Gandalf wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote:i used to have this fundie teacher that thought meditation wound up summoning spirits. :roll:

so you never know.
I had a doctor who thought that my epilepsy/schizophrenia was caused by demonic posession.
Well he's crazy. What this has to do with roleplaying though, I have no idea... Unless he thought that the possession was caused by playing RPGs, which isn't an inconceivable thought given how often that one used to be thrown around. :roll:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Gandalf wrote:

so you never know.
Well he's crazy. What this has to do with roleplaying though, I have no idea... Unless he thought that the possession was caused by playing RPGs, which isn't an inconceivable thought given how often that one used to be thrown around. :roll:
He asked if I'd been attempting voodoo or playing with quiga boards. Roleplaying was also implicated.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

:lol: Riiiiggggghhhhhttttttttt.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!