Looking for positive accomplishments by contemporary Muslims

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Looking for positive accomplishments by contemporary Muslims

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Gandalf wrote:It's also doner in Australia. I think NS might be the outlier here.
Entirely possible it's a case of tomato/tomahto. I need to get out more.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Lord Revan wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Err.... in fact Muslims DO NOT believe Jesus of Nazareth is the son of God. They accept him as a man and a prophet, not as anything more than that.
I know but that's kind of core to christian belief isn't it?

That was my point, Broomstick, just because Muslims don't belive that Jeesus was the son of God doesn't mean we should condem every single muslim in the world as unrepentent terrorist worth nothing but a summary execution (in fact I don't belive even terrorist deserve summary executions but that's besides the point) or more specifically it was a example of a belief that's enough of a core part of christianity that you assume all christians belive that.
I still find your posts confusing.

Jews don't believe Jesus was the son of God, or even a prophet, yet the don't have the same terrorist reputation. Ditto for Hindus. And Buddhists. Obviously there are bigots out there, but those other categories of non-Christians don't inspire the same levels of fear.

Also, you seem to be assuming I'm Christian or that most people here are Christian and we're not. I'm also pretty firmly anti-death penalty.

Maybe it's just your wording.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Zaune wrote:You want an example that will resonate with ordinary working people? The doner kebab. Traditional late-night meal bought after staggering out of a pub after Last Orders all over the British Isles, and probably many parts of North America as well.
The doner kebab is virtually unknown as street food* in the USA from what I've seen in my travels, but almost every city block that is home to at least one drinking establishment has a cart busily slinging gyros, which are the extremely similar Greek version of the same thing from what I understand. The kebab's popularity in Canada and the donair spelling/pronunciation are probably the results of the greater British and French influence on Canadian culture, respectively. It's döner kebap in the original Turkish, according to Wikipedia, for what that's worth.

Also, I'm pretty sure from context that Lord Revan meant to say that Jesus = God's literal son is one of the universal beliefs of Christians regardless of sect there and just brain-farted Muslims while writing it, correct me if I'm wrong LR.

* Though I have seen them in at least one British-themed pub, which also serves up Pakistani food.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Err.... in fact Muslims DO NOT believe Jesus of Nazareth is the son of God. They accept him as a man and a prophet, not as anything more than that.
I know but that's kind of core to christian belief isn't it?

That was my point, Broomstick, just because Muslims don't belive that Jeesus was the son of God doesn't mean we should condem every single muslim in the world as unrepentent terrorist worth nothing but a summary execution (in fact I don't belive even terrorist deserve summary executions but that's besides the point) or more specifically it was a example of a belief that's enough of a core part of christianity that you assume all christians belive that.
I still find your posts confusing.

Jews don't believe Jesus was the son of God, or even a prophet, yet the don't have the same terrorist reputation. Ditto for Hindus. And Buddhists. Obviously there are bigots out there, but those other categories of non-Christians don't inspire the same levels of fear.

Also, you seem to be assuming I'm Christian or that most people here are Christian and we're not. I'm also pretty firmly anti-death penalty.

Maybe it's just your wording.
probably just wording I'm not a native speaker of english, while my english is pretty good (or so I'm told) sometimes I have issues expressing myself. I used christianity as a) most westerners are christians b)even non-christian westerners are generally familiar with the core concepts of christianity, I don't know what your religious beliefs are and quite frankly that's irrelevant to my point anyway. What I was trying to say is that we shouldn't judge all members of a religion (there's millions muslims on Earth atm) as terrorist.

I mean I personally had history teacher in Lukio (rough equilevant of high school) who dispite being palestinian (a man without a country as he put) considered the whole "jihad" concept to spiritual struggle and those who thought it as literal holy war to be insane. Granted that's just 1 man but he made no attempts to hide the fact we was a muslim, so tell me should arrest him for terrorism just because some muslims somewhere are terrorists? A second point I was trying to make was that we shouldn't dismiss positive contributions of muslims just because they didn't shout "praise God!" or "praise Allah" if you want to be pendantic) when they did make that contribution.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Raw Shark wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure from context that Lord Revan meant to say that Jesus = God's literal son is one of the universal beliefs of Christians regardless of sect there and just brain-farted Muslims while writing it, correct me if I'm wrong LR.
You're largely correct thanks to combination of english as second language and dyslexia I worded it very poorly.

what I was trying to refer is core beliefs of islam similar to what "Jeesus is the son of God" is christianity, litany "there's only one God and Muhammed is his prophet" comes to mind as such core belief of Islam. Basically something you have to belive in in order to be consider a muslim.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Lord Revan wrote:probably just wording I'm not a native speaker of english, while my english is pretty good (or so I'm told) sometimes I have issues expressing myself.
Your English is a lot better than my [insert your native language here].
Lord Revan wrote:I used christianity as a) most westerners are christians b)even non-christian westerners are generally familiar with the core concepts of christianity,
True.
Lord Revan wrote:I don't know what your religious beliefs are
For the record, she's a pagan and I'm an atheist. This board is pretty diverse.
Lord Revan wrote:and quite frankly that's irrelevant to my point anyway. What I was trying to say is that we shouldn't judge all members of a religion (there's millions muslims on Earth atm) as terrorist.
True again.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Raw Shark wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:probably just wording I'm not a native speaker of english, while my english is pretty good (or so I'm told) sometimes I have issues expressing myself.
Your English is a lot better than my [insert your native language here].
It's finnish and that's not so hard to belive and as I stated I have mild dyslexia so sometimes I think I wrote something one way when I actually didn't, so sometimes I get some "creative" wordings even when writing finnish.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's alright - I think we've got it figured out now. No worries, I know English isn't your first language, that's why I said I didn't understand what you were trying to say.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice