Debating a Pacifist

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Debating a Pacifist

Post by Lord_Of_Change 9 »

So, as it turns out, on another site I'm debating a really hard-core pacifist. One of those 'don't lift a finger to protect others or yourself' people. She essentially sees all war as evil, regardless of result or motive. So, I'm wondering, can you help me prove her wrong? I'd especially like historical examples of times when pacifism/peaceful efforts failed and/or war achieved a positive result.
Last edited by Lord_Of_Change 9 on 2012-01-19 05:00am, edited 3 times in total.
Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Re: Debating a Pacifist

Post by Lord_Of_Change 9 »

Please get rid of this post.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Re: Debating a Pacifist

Post by Serafina »

While it is hard to argue against pacifism for the individual, it is obvious that it'd fail on a societal scale.

Sure, your society might be a perfectly pacifistic and therefore violence-free one. But as soon as one of your neighbors decides not to play by that rules, your society will no longer exist (due to being overrun by non-pacifists).
That is certainly unfortunate, but that's the way it is.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)