Friend may be turning into an Anti-Vaxxer, need help!

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Friend may be turning into an Anti-Vaxxer, need help!

Post by Akhlut »

One of my friends on Facebook has recently been posting a lot of stuff about Dr.Mr. Wakefield and his studies, and posted a link saying he's been vindicated and that there might be a link between MMR vaccines and autism/bowel diseases (she linked to this blog and this article, and I'm wondering how I can argue effectively against this sort of thing, since she's smart and can potentially find supporting "evidence" that is distorted or perhaps bringing up the "Big Pharma" angle.

So, what can I do?

Thanks.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Re: Friend may be turning into an Anti-Vaxxer, need help!

Post by Samuel »

The first article doesn't provide a link so I can't check and looking for the study... well, goggle doesn't get any matches.

The second one claims that people who have been vaccinated with MMR and have autism test positive for measles. If they were competant instead of hacks they would also test people who don't have autism and were vaccinated with MMR to see if they also have the same pattern.

Of course this is irrelevant because measles doesn't cause autism. All they are showing is that the measles virus from the MMR vaccine isn't all destroyed.
perhaps bringing up the "Big Pharma" angle.
Vaccines are really cheap to research and don't provide alot of profit- plus you can't increase your market. I don't see how the drug industry could do anything evil here.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I didn't say anything on the blog she posted, while the study from the second one, I did bring up how I was very skeptical that a virus could initiate any sort of widespread brain disorder. I might buy bowel disorders, but the blood-brain barrier and the fact that the brain can be damaged in some areas and still function perfectly fine in others make me skeptical that autism isn't a developmental disorder that first becomes very readily apparent right when children start to become social entities.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Mercenario
Redshirt

Post by Mercenario »

I did bring up how I was very skeptical that a virus could initiate any sort of widespread brain disorder
Oh, they are very able to do so. Most of those guys went exstinct, thanks to vaccines.
Brain is a organ like every other organ in your body, it might get damaged in very different ways. Due to his complexity the result is quite hard to tell. (If you do not get to the extream)

The best arguement against the "vaccines are evil" guys is to catch them if they take the vaccines theirselfe.
(Know of a doctor who did exactly that. "You do not have to get it! It does more harm than good!" But a soon as the swine flue was getting close to its spike, well)
Now a team from the Wake Forest University School of Medicine in North Carolina are examining 275 children with regressive autism and bowel disease - and of the 82 tested so far, 70 prove positive for the measles virus.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1PObYAPRi
Thats the same crap as all Nazis eat bread. So bread turns you into a racist.
The question would be how many non autistic children got the virus. (If you end up with 100 out of 250, well)

None has a "natural" form is quite funny in a very dark way. (Since most of those illnesses can be leathal)
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Here is a clue: Most tests for viruses test for the ANTIBODIES for the virus. So unless they do viral cultures, all they are finding is that most of the kids were vaccinated which... most kids are.

What i find particularly galling is that the study is not even fucking done, and there is no mention in the article of other treatment groups, like positive controls for kids with bowel disease with no autism, autism with no bowel disease etc, which would be necessary for any conclusions to be drawn. The article also does not have a date on it, so there is no way to know whether this was written before or AFTER it was found that that "Good Doctor" falsified his data.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est