Claim that swine fears overstated?

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Claim that swine fears overstated?

Post by The Spartan »

Someone claimed to me last night that the CDC or WHO had admitted that they overstated the fears regarding swine flu. I ran a search this morning and nothing is coming up; can anyone shine some light on this or were they just talking out of their ass?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Re: Claim that swine fears overstated?

Post by Surlethe »

You may as well ask them to email you a source.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Surlethe wrote:You may as well ask them to email you a source.
Hard to do that when they don't converse with me over the internet but face to face. :wink:
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I don't have any official news sources but my hospital released an internal memo that essentially said that the flu outbreak has turned out to be no worse than a regular seasonal flu outbreak. They are going to continue to monitor the situation and we still have the anti-virals on hand if things do flare up.

The county has shut down it's special information center on swine flu.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Tsyroc wrote:I don't have any official news sources but my hospital released an internal memo that essentially said that the flu outbreak has turned out to be no worse than a regular seasonal flu outbreak. They are going to continue to monitor the situation and we still have the anti-virals on hand if things do flare up.

The county has shut down it's special information center on swine flu.
Well, that's the thing. All I can find is info saying that it didn't turn out as bad as they thought it could have been. But, and I realize I didn't state this though I thought I had, the person in question seemed to think that they knew it from the beginning that it wasn't that bad but sent out a big warning anyways.
Soy un perdedor.
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

It's worth noting that the 1918 pandemic (and IIRC at least one of the other two major outbreaks in the 20th century) had a mild spring form but proved hugely lethal in the autumn/winter. So there's no guarantee that we are out of the woods.
"what huge and loathsome abnormality was the Sphinx originally carven to represent? Accursed is the sight, be it in dream or not, that revealed to me the supreme horror - the Unknown God of the Dead, which licks its colossal chops in the unsuspected abyss, fed hideous morsels by soulless absurdities that should not exist" - Harry Houdini "Under the Pyramids"

"The goal of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Ruskin, "Stones of Venice"