Academic Journals

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Academic Journals

Post by Yogi »

When I was in college, I had access to several libraries stuffed full of archived academic journals of all types, plus several full article search engines. How would I get access to a similar source now that I am out of college (and have moved away). Can I just apply for a library card at the local college (and perhaps pay a fee) or do I have to subscribe personally to an online archive?
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Academic Journals

Post by Starglider »

Yogi wrote:Can I just apply for a library card at the local college (and perhaps pay a fee) or do I have to subscribe personally to an online archive?
I did, for several years; I stopped just recently because I haven't had the time to keep up with the literature recently (SDN, I blame you :) ). That was for the University of Sheffield though, which is a decent UK university with a particularly good compsci section. I have no idea what might be available in your area.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Yogi wrote:When I was in college, I had access to several libraries stuffed full of archived academic journals of all types, plus several full article search engines. How would I get access to a similar source now that I am out of college (and have moved away). Can I just apply for a library card at the local college (and perhaps pay a fee) or do I have to subscribe personally to an online archive?
You might not even have to do that. The university might maintain your login as a former student and you can use it that way. ASU did that for me...

Otherwise yeah, you can do the Library Card thing and get access that way.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:You might not even have to do that. The university might maintain your login as a former student and you can use it that way. ASU did that for me...

I would do that, but I've moved away from where I went to school and so unfortunately can't do that any more. I guess I'll try the local university.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Yogi wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:You might not even have to do that. The university might maintain your login as a former student and you can use it that way. ASU did that for me...

I would do that, but I've moved away from where I went to school and so unfortunately can't do that any more. I guess I'll try the local university.
You mean to tell me that your old university does not have a website and online library with research databases free and open to use to anyone with a login? What weak-ass school did you go to?
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I would check your uni's website and http://books.google.com/. Apparently there's loads of stuff on google books, but I've mostly been using the library.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus