Need some help re immoderate Christian preachers

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

eyl
Jedi Knight

Need some help re immoderate Christian preachers

Post by eyl »

I've gotten embroiled in a discussion on another board which has gone some pretty ugly places (one of the subthreads is discussing solving terrorism by eradicating Muslims worldwide as a viable option). In part of it, a poster claimed that - unlike Islam - there are no Christian preachers advocating hatred and violence against "the infidel".

Now, I know this isn't correct - among other things, I've seen video of preachers doing this. The problem is, I wasn't paying too much attention at the time (and I'm not that well-versed on famous Christian clergymen) so I can't remember the names and Google is coming up empty for me. Can anyone suggest some examples? (I brought of Phelps, but he's not actually very useful - since he pretty much lashes out against everyone, he can be portrayed as an extreme case with no support).
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Re: Need some help re immoderate Christian preachers

Post by Kitsune »

How about the groups bombing abortion clinics?

Probably a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion-related_violence
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Re: Need some help re immoderate Christian preachers

Post by Samuel »

Go with this. Always:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/de ... heobserver

Nigeria is a good case of how religion can be very, very bad. If you want Islamic or Christian atrocities, look them up.