Don Patton, Feb 24-29

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Cycloneman
Padawan Learner

Don Patton, Feb 24-29

Post by Cycloneman »

So, over the course of a long period of lurking, I've gotten some tips on the subject of debating creationist morons. The old Wong Art of War and all that. One of the important points that I recall is that one must come prepared even when the other person is as horrifically wrong as a creationist is.

I plan to head over to Don Patton's series of lectures on "Scientific Evidence for God's Creation." But the problem is that I have had great difficulty locating Don Patton's arguments so that I can prepare myself.

Here is a quote from the... pamphlet? Leaflet? On the schedule:
Sunday, February 24, 2008
9:30 AM Archeology and the Old Testament
The History of Israel From Her Stones

10:30 AM Archeology and the New Testament
Compelling Evidence Confirming Biblical History

5:00 PM The Dead Sea Scrolls
The Most Important Archeological Discovery Ever

Monday, February 25, 2008
7:30 PM What Is Creation Science?
Religious or Scientific? Overview of the Evidence

Tuesday, February 26, 2008
7:30 PM Evolution And The Law of Science
Thermodynamics, Physics, Biology, Astronomy

Wednesday, February 27, 2008
7:30 PM How Old Is The Earth?
Radiometric Dating, Age of Fossils, Strata, Oil, Coal

Thursday, February 28, 2008
7:30 PM The Record of the Rocks
Failure of Geological Column & Alternate Explanation

Friday, February 29, 2008
7:30 PM The Record Of The Fossils
The Earliest Fossils - Transitional Forms? Men?
So... can anyone help find his arguments/the rebuttals to them?
Cycloneman
Padawan Learner

Post by Cycloneman »

Bump. Help please? I don't want to go in unprepared.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

The lecture format is not really a good debate venue at all, because you only get to ask a couple of questions, he gets the final word, and he can talk over you. If you insist on challenging him and if you can't find his arguments, familiarize yourself with the basic creationist arguments and the flaws in them. It also helps immensely to have a firm grasp of evolutionary theory to be able to point out the inevitable caricatures and distortions.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass