What fallacy is this?

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

What fallacy is this?

Post by Lonestar »

So, I've taken to posting on a message board that has strong Libertarian tendencies. There was a thread about best/worst Presidents and one of the Posters said:
I would never even try to judge Presidents from before my lifetime. Who writes the history books, you know?
Which responded with me saying:
You won't judge:
"John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it!"?
To which he responded "No." So I commented that, following the logical extension of his premise that he can't judge people before he was alive then he must have a neutral view of Stalin and Hitler(yeah yeah, Godwin's law). His rebuttal was "This is a dumbass conversation. I don't judge Presidents before my time, deal with it."

Is this an actual fallacy? Or is he just being a retard?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

He's realized the dumb-assedness of his position, but refuses to admit it, and so walks away from the conversation.

I vote for 'retard.'
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

He is being a retard. But it looks like moving the goal posts, or at least that is what he would have tried to do had he not snapped at you
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Sounds like a form of Appeal to Motive, with a touch of Poisoning the Well.

He's basically saying that the accuracy of any historical account of a President will be biased because of the motives of the historians writing about that President.

Of course, there will probably be multiple historians with different biases, so it should be possible to reach an objective opinion by comparing multiple accounts from different sources, but he's ignoring that fact.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"