THE POPE IS DEAD (good riddance)

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

User avatar
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar
Posts: 6998
Joined: 2002-07-03 05:41pm
Location: The Wasteland

Postby Pablo Sanchez » 2005-04-03 03:16am

Knife wrote:The buck stops here. It works against Bushy boy, why not JPII? Sure the Catholic Church is a huge beuracracy, doesn't give him a pass for not going against it.


I would give him a personal pass on the justification that he probably didn't know about it until he saw it on the news. The pedophiles were shuttled around by the Bishops to keep the secret, I sincerely doubt they sent a message up the hierarchy stating that "I'm making sure this child-rapist gets away with it, boss."

So, him not taking a stand on something, because the beuracracy would oppose him, makes him great because?


I never said he was great--rather the opposite.

Fucking kids is wrong, by Christian standards and every other. Gay bashing is wrong and only supported by Thin Biblical scripture.


"If a man has sex with a man in same way as with a woman, they have committed an abomination. They are certainly to be put to death."
--Leviticus 20:13

I would call that rather clear. Technically speaking, the murder of gays is officially mandated by the bible, just as is the murder of insolent children, people engaged in incest, and a shitload of other things.

If he wanted to spend the 'political capital' on it, he could have. He isn't a despot in the 'Church' but he has considerable power and popular support. He didn't use it.


The popular support for making homosexuality "okay" doesn't obtain. Pro-gay attitudes are only really big in the United States and a few countries in Europe. The vast majority of Catholics would definitely not support a Papal Bull removing homosexuality as a sin.
Image
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby Darth Wong » 2005-04-03 03:18am

On the subject of leadership, maintenance of the status quo should never be described as effective leadership. A rudderless ship will continue in its current direction.
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

User avatar
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar
Posts: 6998
Joined: 2002-07-03 05:41pm
Location: The Wasteland

Postby Pablo Sanchez » 2005-04-03 03:22am

Darth Wong wrote:On the subject of leadership, maintenance of the status quo should never be described as effective leadership. A rudderless ship will continue in its current direction.


As I said, he was better than most popes. I would call the majority of popes "actively bad."
Image

"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."

--The Lord Humungus

User avatar
Knife
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15290
Joined: 2002-08-30 02:40pm
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Contact:

Postby Knife » 2005-04-03 03:25am

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
I would give him a personal pass on the justification that he probably didn't know about it until he saw it on the news. The pedophiles were shuttled around by the Bishops to keep the secret, I sincerely doubt they sent a message up the hierarchy stating that "I'm making sure this child-rapist gets away with it, boss."


The resulting situation after such facts were know is still unacceptable. He's the head dog, he takes the licking. He refused by proxy to make a hard policy about these fuckers.


I never said he was great--rather the opposite.


General statment, not necessarily to you.


"If a man has sex with a man in same way as with a woman, they have committed an abomination. They are certainly to be put to death."
--Leviticus 20:13


I notice that eating Lobster and Crab is also an 'Abomination' yet fail to see the massive campaign against Red Lobster. There is no 'Abomination table' in the appendix of the Bible that I'm aware of. Why is 'gay's' a bigger Abmomination than the Abomination of eating crab/lobster and such?

Did JPII come out against crab? Where is the book saying that crab eaters are the 'new theology of evil'?

I would call that rather clear. Technically speaking, the murder of gays is officially mandated by the bible, just as is the murder of insolent children, people engaged in incest, and a shitload of other things.


See above.



The popular support for making homosexuality "okay" doesn't obtain. Pro-gay attitudes are only really big in the United States and a few countries in Europe. The vast majority of Catholics would definitely not support a Papal Bull removing homosexuality as a sin.


Again, so the fact that there is some opposition, makes him innocent from trying, why?[/quote]
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

User avatar
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4475
Joined: 2002-07-03 09:41pm
Location: Massachusetts

Postby StarshipTitanic » 2005-04-03 03:26am

Straha wrote:
Gregory was one of the Popes in the Schism I mentioned, and Benedict didn't abdicate for money... he was forced out of office, and then back in, and then back out, and then back. If I recall correctly he was 11 when he was appointed.


He sold the office to Greg #6.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."

User avatar
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord
Posts: 12398
Joined: 2002-07-11 12:27am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Postby Edi » 2005-04-03 03:29am

The biggest argument for why JPII dragged the Catholic Church backwards is a simple glance at the list of people he appointed. All of them are arch-conservative bigots. Almost all of the younger cardonals, a lot of archbishops and bishops. He made damn sure that his regressive social values regarding gays, women in the church and contraception and abortion would be cemented for decades to come.

As for JPII fighting the Nazis, hardly. He worked in a Nazi chemical factory for most of the war, and saw a lot of his weaker coworkers sent to the death camps, but he hardly did anything noteworthy during the war. This little bit was in this morning's newspaper, no less. As for fighting against communism, yes, he did that, but even without his intervention, the Soviet model of communism that was forced on Eastern Europe would have collapsed of its own impossibility.

All told, the evil his favored policies have caused and continue to cause far outweigh the good things he has done, which is why I see no reason to respect him. Doesn't mean I will go out of my way to attack the man at every turn either, but his death is objectively no loss for humanity.

Edi
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die

User avatar
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED
Posts: 2658
Joined: 2002-11-04 07:48pm
Location: Philadelphia PA
Contact:

Postby BlkbrryTheGreat » 2005-04-03 03:41am

Since I was lambasted for daring to express my opinion in the original "The Pope is dead" thread (before it was offically changed to a morning thread) I repeat here what I said there:

Mange the Swede wrote:
Well, I'm not catholic and I didn't share some of his views, he believed in what he was doing. May he rest in peace.


So did Hitler and Stalin- the fact that "he believed in what he was doing" does not change the fact that what he believed was fundamentally irrational and that hese beliefs have caused a great deal of harm the world over.



To that I add:

John Paul II fulfilled his obligations as Pope "well"- but that does not change the fact that by fulfilling this obligation he advanced the cause of irrationality across the globe. Millions are still paying the price of this irrationality- and will continue to pay for decades, if not centuries, to come. Despite what other may claim, I say him take no actions that were "great" or "brave" during his tenure- all he did was faithfully (aka mindlessly) follow irrational religous dogma.

John Paul- you had all the inherint moral authority of a tarot card reader. I'll miss you as much as one.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby Darth Wong » 2005-04-03 03:44am

I think part of some peoples' disagreement over the "moral legacy" of the Pope is due to a basic difference of opinion over the nature of morality. As one who believes in social responsibilities, I insist that he who occupies a great office has a commensurately great responsibility to actively do good things and actively prevent bad things (particularly those that are committed by his organization). That is, after all, a logical extension of the engineering code of ethics.

However, many people believe that one can only be bad if one actively does bad things; anything else, no matter how negligent, does not constitute immorality. To those people, it is laughable and perhaps insane to call the Pope a bad man.
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

User avatar
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar
Posts: 6998
Joined: 2002-07-03 05:41pm
Location: The Wasteland

Postby Pablo Sanchez » 2005-04-03 03:50am

Knife wrote:I notice that eating Lobster and Crab is also an 'Abomination' yet fail to see the massive campaign against Red Lobster. There is no 'Abomination table' in the appendix of the Bible that I'm aware of. Why is 'gay's' a bigger Abmomination than the Abomination of eating crab/lobster and such?


That isn't the point I'm arguing--you said the Biblical justification for gash-bashing was "thin," I demonstrated that it was not.

Homosexuality is clearly a greater abomination than violating the dietary laws because it is punishable by death. All of the dietary laws but one (drinking the blood of animals and birds) merely result in the sinner becoming "unclean." A Hebrew could eat a spider and not be killed, because not all abominations are equal.

Again, so the fact that there is some opposition, makes him innocent from trying, why?


Evil by omission only holds when you could have done the thing. The Pope cannot actually wave a hand and change the policy. It doesn't work that way, any more than it so functioned for someone like Peter the Great or Louis XIV. It's possible for an absolute ruler to change some things (make everyone shave his beard, or move to Versailles) but other things are out of reach (abolishing the noble class). The Pope isn't even quite an absolute ruler.
Image

"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."

--The Lord Humungus

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby Darth Wong » 2005-04-03 03:52am

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Evil by omission only holds when you could have done the thing.

Or when you could have at least tried. If one makes no effort at all, it is presumptuous to assume that he would have made it happen were it possible.
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

User avatar
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED
Posts: 2658
Joined: 2002-11-04 07:48pm
Location: Philadelphia PA
Contact:

Postby BlkbrryTheGreat » 2005-04-03 03:56am

Darth Wong wrote:I think part of some peoples' disagreement over the "moral legacy" of the Pope is due to a basic difference of opinion over the nature of morality.


Yes- but you're splitting it too simply. There are splits on the religious level as well on a secular level- added to that is that is that many people operate on a mixture between the two.

As one who believes in social responsibilities, I insist that he who occupies a great office has a commensurately great responsibility to actively do good things and actively prevent bad things (particularly those that are committed by his organization). That is, after all, a logical extension of the engineering code of ethics.

However, many people believe that one can only be bad if one actively does bad things; anything else, no matter how negligent, does not constitute immorality. To those people, it is laughable and perhaps insane to call the Pope a bad man.


Even granting your basic assumptions you are incorrect; there are actions, that the Pope took, that the latter group can consider being "actively bad".
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.



-H.L. Mencken

User avatar
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 6730
Joined: 2002-09-10 05:35pm
Location: Where The Sea Meets The Sky
Contact:

Postby Slartibartfast » 2005-04-03 03:56am

Pablo Sanchez wrote:"If a man has sex with a man in same way as with a woman, they have committed an abomination. They are certainly to be put to death."
--Leviticus 20:13


He needs to do it a different way.
Image

User avatar
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED
Posts: 2658
Joined: 2002-11-04 07:48pm
Location: Philadelphia PA
Contact:

Postby BlkbrryTheGreat » 2005-04-03 04:00am

Evil by omission only holds when you could have done the thing. The Pope cannot actually wave a hand and change the policy. It doesn't work that way, any more than it so functioned for someone like Peter the Great or Louis XIV. It's possible for an absolute ruler to change some things (make everyone shave his beard, or move to Versailles) but other things are out of reach (abolishing the noble class). The Pope isn't even quite an absolute ruler.


Except that the Pope is "God's voice on Earth". If the Pope came out and publicaly said "God told me last night that the part of the OT that says Gay's should be executed no long applies" the rest of the Catholic Church could do jack shit- since they would be disagreeing with "God" and not merely an interpretation of the Bible.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.



-H.L. Mencken

User avatar
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine
Posts: 17927
Joined: 2002-07-03 06:26pm
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Contact:

Postby Durandal » 2005-04-03 04:20am

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:
Evil by omission only holds when you could have done the thing. The Pope cannot actually wave a hand and change the policy. It doesn't work that way, any more than it so functioned for someone like Peter the Great or Louis XIV. It's possible for an absolute ruler to change some things (make everyone shave his beard, or move to Versailles) but other things are out of reach (abolishing the noble class). The Pope isn't even quite an absolute ruler.


Except that the Pope is "God's voice on Earth". If the Pope came out and publicaly said "God told me last night that the part of the OT that says Gay's should be executed no long applies" the rest of the Catholic Church could do jack shit- since they would be disagreeing with "God" and not merely an interpretation of the Bible.


Such a statement would require the Pope to speak with his infallible authority, i.e. ex cathedra. In order to do so, the majority of Catholics must agree on the issue, and they do not.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion

User avatar
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED
Posts: 2658
Joined: 2002-11-04 07:48pm
Location: Philadelphia PA
Contact:

Postby BlkbrryTheGreat » 2005-04-03 04:24am

Durandal wrote:
BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:
Evil by omission only holds when you could have done the thing. The Pope cannot actually wave a hand and change the policy. It doesn't work that way, any more than it so functioned for someone like Peter the Great or Louis XIV. It's possible for an absolute ruler to change some things (make everyone shave his beard, or move to Versailles) but other things are out of reach (abolishing the noble class). The Pope isn't even quite an absolute ruler.


Except that the Pope is "God's voice on Earth". If the Pope came out and publicaly said "God told me last night that the part of the OT that says Gay's should be executed no long applies" the rest of the Catholic Church could do jack shit- since they would be disagreeing with "God" and not merely an interpretation of the Bible.


Such a statement would require the Pope to speak with his infallible authority, i.e. ex cathedra. In order to do so, the majority of Catholics must agree on the issue, and they do not.


Part of being Catholic is following the word of the Pope when he speaks "ex cathedra". If you say he's full of shit when he does this- your not Catholic anymore, your some branch of Protestant. This issue was decided about 400 years ago.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.



-H.L. Mencken

User avatar
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 14847
Joined: 2002-07-15 08:06am
Location: Orleanian in exile

Postby Patrick Degan » 2005-04-03 04:36am

Even if the Pope is not speaking ex-cathedra in matters of doctrine, his statements still carry great weight and can determine the direction an organisation even as ponderous as the Catholic Church can go in. His position gives him an assumed moral authority and therefore great influence. He used this influcence to:

• declare that homosexuality was part of an "ideology of evil"

• oppose the use of condoms and the teaching of accurate sex education in Africa during a time when the continent is being ravaged by the twin scourges of overpopulation and the AIDS pandemic

• to essentially give pedophiles within the priesthood a free pass by refusing to issue a condemnation against them and to reiterate that the Church could more or less continue to police itself

• to declare that women can never be equal with men in the stewardship of the Church

Now while the fourth point might be part-and-parcel with the traditionalist bullshit of the Church, the other three constitute the most obvious black marks against John Paul II's papacy given that millions of lives are affected, as well as the credibility of the Church.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)

User avatar
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch
Posts: 5724
Joined: 2002-08-02 07:57pm
Contact:

Postby Chris OFarrell » 2005-04-03 05:57am

I'm not exactly sure whcih thread to put this in. But Its not exactly a simple condolence so I'll put it here. Its a very well written artical by the Guardian. I'm sure we'll have plenty of summery articles. I don't usualy look at this website, but I got this link sent. But it is interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pope/story/0, ... 64,00.html
Image

User avatar
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Posts: 9411
Joined: 2004-12-12 10:55pm
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Postby mr friendly guy » 2005-04-03 06:08am

What a week. Johnny Cochrane dead. The pope dead. Terry Schiavo finally got peace. Now if only Falwell would also carck it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Malaysia, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

User avatar
Julhelm
Jedi Master
Posts: 1468
Joined: 2003-01-28 12:03pm
Location: Brutopia
Contact:

Postby Julhelm » 2005-04-03 07:12am

And the amazement of it all is that they weren't already dead long ago.

User avatar
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy
Posts: 10053
Joined: 2002-10-28 05:04pm
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Postby Col. Crackpot » 2005-04-03 08:50am

the actual text:

Leviticus 20:13 wrote:If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.



So You'll just have to do it standing up. Furthermore, due to obvious differences in plumbing, a man cant lie with a man as he lieth with a woman, so unless you find a man with a vagina, you're all set! :wink:

Image
"A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on." -CaptianChewbacca

User avatar
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine
Posts: 9688
Joined: 2002-11-19 04:40pm
Location: Belfast, unfortunately
Contact:

Postby Lord Pounder » 2005-04-03 10:08am

Col. Crackpot wrote:the actual text:

Leviticus 20:13 wrote:If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.



So You'll just have to do it standing up. Furthermore, due to obvious differences in plumbing, a man cant lie with a man as he lieth with a woman, so unless you find a man with a vagina, you're all set! :wink:

Image


Actually from experience you can. If the man puts his legs over you shoulders and lifts his arse up a put you can do something very similar to missionary.

My opnion is fuck JP2. It never fails to amazme me how some fuckers grow blinkers as soon as there is a warm corpse. If he wanted to be a good Pope he shpuld have made changes. Tradition is, IMHO, a fallacy, the only real tradidion is they every thing will eventually change. The Pope had the power to change things and didn't. The nicest thing i can say is that Ian Paisley called him the Anti-Christ, and thats the only positive thing i can say about him.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten

User avatar
Jon
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1500
Joined: 2004-03-02 10:11am
Location: Manchester UK
Contact:

Postby Jon » 2005-04-03 10:11am

Condoms help spread HIV and AIDS, let's canonise those who died from AIDS because they refused to wear evil condoms!
A timeline of future history @ http://www.futuretimeline.net

User avatar
Jew
Jedi Knight
Posts: 666
Joined: 2005-01-17 10:29pm

Postby Jew » 2005-04-03 11:03am

Since this is the Pope-bashing thread it may be a good place to ask about the Catholic Church child sex abuse scandal. As an American I saw a lot of news about it, but I've heard little about similar problems in other countries. Is the mismanagement of abusive priests uniquely North American, or have similar scandals occured worldwide? None of the news coverage I can find details anything outside of America and Canada.
She did not answer, which is the damnedest way of winning an argument I know of.

User avatar
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 70027
Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby Darth Wong » 2005-04-03 11:10am

Jew wrote:Since this is the Pope-bashing thread it may be a good place to ask about the Catholic Church child sex abuse scandal. As an American I saw a lot of news about it, but I've heard little about similar problems in other countries. Is the mismanagement of abusive priests uniquely North American, or have similar scandals occured worldwide? None of the news coverage I can find details anything outside of America and Canada.

It's been widely reported in America and Canada, but these are countries where people feel more free to come forward with their allegations. In South America where the church runs the society, it would be extremely difficult to come forward.

In any case, when the Americans proposed a "zero tolerance" rule on pedophile priests, the Vatican disagreed. That's the most damning thing about the child sex-abuse scandal; why on Earth would they disagree that there should be a zero-tolerance rule on child sex abuse in the priesthood?
Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

User avatar
salm
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 10296
Joined: 2002-09-09 08:25pm

Postby salm » 2005-04-03 12:18pm

I probably hope in vain that the next pope won´t we a worthless fucker like the recently deceased one.


Return to “Famous Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest