Darth Wong Wrote:
Since it is inappropriate to use the POPE IS DEAD (moment of silence) thread to actually say anything negative about the Pope, I'm creating this thread for those who either:
* Think he was an asshole.
* Think he wasn't that bad, but are pissed off about the way he's endlessly and effusively worshipped by his lemming followers.
* Think he was a shitty leader, as demonstrated by the rudderless course it took through the pedophile priest scandals, its failure to take a moral lead on the spread of AIDS/HIV in Africa rather than clinging to dogma, and his swing toward conservatism on other issues such as Protestantism and women in the church.
* Are just plain sick of the fucking media coverage.
Goddamn, if I hear another person on the radio blubbering about how the Pope touched his or her life, I'm going to throw up
* I think he did his best to meet the job requirements, but I don't think he was a natural.
* Well, he wasn't that bad a Pope, and better the crazy lemmings follow him than someone who could misuse them or be driven batty by them.
* A. Its the Pope's job to cling to dogma, spin it, and sell it, not make things up. One thing I do respect the Pope for is that he didn't pretend Christianity and Catholicism were things they were not.
B. Sexual assaults are at best property crimes in the Bible. It may not be PC today, but no prophet said Thou shall not rape, or Thou shalt treat women as human beings first. This oversight might be being worked on even as we speak.
C. The Pope has limited means of taking a moral lead in Africa. I mean, the the wrath of god is directed at complex issues like that. What's he going to say, apart from a fancy diplomatic "Told you so!"
D. Wouldn't know. I don't bother with TV or radio much anymore. Sounds like the thought spinners are groping for a safe news story to hype up; Iraq, Schavio, and a lot of other issues are such hot buttons they probably need this filler. People were starting to think and act up a little to much and need to be put in their place.