THE POPE IS DEAD (Moment of Silence)

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

THE POPE IS DEAD (Moment of Silence)

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Breaking... no link yet
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

May he rest in peace.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

Apparently he's going to be only the third pope in history to be given the appelation 'The Great.'
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

*takes hat off*

(I would If I was wearing one)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

No celebration, but no mourning.

Just...

Life goes on.

Gonna take some getting used to, though. Ever since I could remember, it was always PJPDeuce.
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

May he rest in peace...
Fin D'ah Gub
Redshirt

Post by Fin D'ah Gub »

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

CNN's take.
(CNN) -- John Paul II, whose 26-year reign as the charismatic leader of the world's 1 billion Roman Catholics was highlighted by visits to 129 countries, died Saturday. He was 84.

The pope -- known for his energy, intellectualism and activism on the global stage -- died Saturday night at his apartments in the Vatican. His health had been deteriorating severely for several weeks and he had battled Parkinson's disease and crippling arthritis for years.

The Vatican said Saturday morning that John Paul II had slipped in and out of consciousness after his heart and kidneys started to fail after a urinary tract infection.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said that despite his precarious health, the pope had decided to remain in his residence at the Vatican, rather than returning to Gemelli hospital in Rome, where he had been hospitalized twice since February.

He was administered the sacrament of anointing the sick, formerly known as last rites or extreme unction, on Thursday night.

Pilgrims, tourists and Italians filled St. Peter's Square on Saturday, hours after tens of thousands of people packed the vast space in a nighttime vigil.

Friday night, thousands of people gathered in Krakow, Poland -- where John Paul served as archbishop before becoming pope -- at the archbishop's residence, many carrying candles and crying. People in the crowd prayed and sang for their fellow Pole.

"To Polish people, he is an icon," said Alicja Kapusciarz, a Polish-American woman in Washington.
Lengthy reign as pope

Rising from humble beginnings in pre-World War II Poland, he was the most widely traveled pope in history and was the first to visit the White House, a synagogue and communist Cuba.

Only two of his 263 predecessors served longer than he did -- St. Peter, the first pope, and Pius IX in the 19th century.

Supporters and critics alike agree on the immense significance of his papacy.

He played a key role in the fall of communism and brought the Catholic message in person to an unprecedented number of people.

He drew enormous crowds in his public appearances and was known for his courage and integrity.

A profoundly conservative leader, he reaffirmed many of the church's stances on issues such as abortion, homosexuality and the role of women in the church.

Despite criticism, he remained unwavering on those and other stances, including his preference for centralized authority within the church, which some saw as hindering a move toward a more democratic church.
Chronic illnesses

The pope suffered from severe hip and knee ailments and Parkinson's disease, a progressive neurological disorder that can make breathing and swallowing difficult.

On February 24, doctors performed a tracheotomy to help him breathe, as he struggled to recover from a bout of flu that hospitalized him.

On Wednesday, a feeding tube was put down his nose into his stomach to provide additional nutrition.

The feeding tube was inserted shortly after the pope's regular weekly audience, where he appeared at the window of his study overlooking St. Peter's Square for about four minutes.

Unable to speak, he used hand gestures to bless thousands of people who gathered for a glimpse of him.

On Easter, the pope also tried to speak to the crowds but could not get out the words. Ill health forced him to miss several events during Holy Week preceding Easter.
Papal legacy

John Paul was born Karol Jozef Wojtyla on May 18, 1920, in Wadowice, Poland.

After his ordination as a priest in November 1946, he rose steadily through the church hierarchy, becoming archbishop of Krakow in 1964.

He was elevated to cardinal in a secret consistory in 1968 and formally installed in a Vatican ceremony days later.

Despite his reputation as a formidable theologian and fearless defender of Catholic interests, his election as pope October 16, 1978 -- the first-ever Slavic pope and the first non-Italian to occupy the post in 455 years -- came as a surprise.

So too did the energy and determination he brought to his papacy, never letting health issues get in the way of his travels.

Not even an attempted assassination in 1981 kept him down. A Turk named Mehmet Ali Agca shot him twice. The pope recovered and later met Agca in prison and personally forgave him.

He re-established the Vatican's diplomatic relations with Great Britain and the United States, as well as with Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

He delivered more than 2,000 public addresses and issued countless numbers of encyclicals and apostolic letters, making him one of the most active men ever to occupy the papal see. He canonized 482 saints, more than any other pontiff, and created 232 cardinals.

His papacy was divided into two distinct halves.

"In the first 10 years his great concern was with communism," said Warsaw-based Catholic commentator Jonathon Luxmore. "Since then his focus has been more on the ills of Western society."

John Paul's role in the fall of communism was a subtle but crucial one. His visit to Poland in 1979 and his support for the Solidarity movement were key in the chain of events that led to the eventual crumbling of Gen. Wojciech Jaruzelski's regime 10 years later.

His stand against what he saw as the moral failure of Western capitalism, however, was notably less successful.

Although his outspoken views on human rights gained him many admirers, his preaching in such areas as sexual mores, science and the role of women in the church alienated many liberal Catholics.

"He was what you might call a revolutionary conservative," said Giovanni Ferro, editor of the Rome-based Catholic magazine Jesus.

"In some areas he was very forward-minded. In others, however, he was an extremely traditionalist pope. He maintained all sorts of opposing currents in the church, with the result that his successor will probably be faced with a great crisis of direction."

Who that successor will be remains to be decided by the College of Cardinals, which will meet at the Vatican in the coming days to select the next pope.

Whoever it is will struggle to make his mark, succeeding as he does one of the longest-serving and most contentious figures in papal history.

"One thing is for certain," Luxmore said. "[John Paul II] is going to be a terrifically hard act to follow."
Good bye, John Paul.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Well, I'm not catholic and I didn't share some of his views, he believed in what he was doing. May he rest in peace.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

May he rest in peace.
Kanye West Saves.

Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Mange the Swede wrote:Well, I'm not catholic and I didn't share some of his views, he believed in what he was doing. May he rest in peace.
So did Hitler and Stalin- the fact that "he believed in what he was doing" does not change the fact that what he believed was fundamentally irrational and that hese beliefs have caused a great deal of harm the world over.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:So did Hitler and Stalin- the fact that "he believed in what he was doing" does not change the fact that what he believed was fundamentally irrational and that hese beliefs have caused a great deal of harm the world over.
And so it begins. You can kindly fuck off, BlkberryTheNotSoGreat.

Asshole. :evil:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:
Mange the Swede wrote:Well, I'm not catholic and I didn't share some of his views, he believed in what he was doing. May he rest in peace.
So did Hitler and Stalin- the fact that "he believed in what he was doing" does not change the fact that what he believed was fundamentally irrational and that hese beliefs have caused a great deal of harm the world over.
religious fundamentalism aside, the man devoted himself to the poor and the opressed. Fpr that he deserves our respect.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

While I am generally apathetic to who leads the Church, I'll be watching this to make sure no flamefest erupts. If people want to pay tribute, so be it. I still saw shortcomings in the man's character, but he can RIP now at least.

I'm more interested in who succeeds him now.
aten_vs_ra
Padawan Learner

Post by aten_vs_ra »

Things like this remind me of how I've lived only seventeen years, and yet so much has changed. For how many of us has John Paul II, been the only pope we've ever known? People that were once the center stage, are exiting stage left so quickly.

It's dizzying.
Jin Wicked wrote:Was bloody Scrooge McDuck a goth, too? Did he ever write bad poetry in his basement with the Monopoly Guy?

"Go directly to jail. Do not pass 'Go'. Do not collect two hundred dollars."
"Life is pain."
-------Crap I Drew on my Lunch Break
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

MKSheppard wrote:
BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:So did Hitler and Stalin- the fact that "he believed in what he was doing" does not change the fact that what he believed was fundamentally irrational and that hese beliefs have caused a great deal of harm the world over.
And so it begins. You can kindly fuck off, BlkberryTheNotSoGreat.

Asshole. :evil:
Excuse me- but the thread title is "The Pope is Dead"; not "Come here to this thread to weep". Consequently, if I want to talk about how this Pope's polices has caused harm I can- its a perfectly relevant to the topic.

If you have a problem with what I said- then address it instead of attacking me with a "holier then thou" ad hominum.

If, on the other hand, you want a morning thread then start one.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

aten_vs_ra wrote:Things like this remind me of how I've lived only seventeen years, and yet so much has changed. For how many of us has John Paul II, been the only pope we've ever known? People that were once the center stage, are exiting stage left so quickly.

It's dizzying.
I was around for the previous one, but I wasn't paying attention at the time.

It's kind of like when the Berlin Wall went down, one of those 'It's always been there' kind of things.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Peacefulness, everyone...
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:Excuse me- but the thread title is "The Pope is Dead"; not "Come here to this thread to weep". Consequently, if I want to talk about how this Pope's polices has caused harm I can- its a perfectly relevant to the topic.
There's another thread for that:

Linka
If you have a problem with what I said- then address it instead of attacking me with a "holier then thou" ad hominum.
No, you're just an insignificant twat who likes to mock the death of
a good man and the only Pope I have ever known. Asshole.

Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

May he RIP. I respected him as a man of great strength - to be shot at and forgive a man takes a lot of strength. And the way he held on through all his illnesses, keeping his dignity intact, was nice to see.

Some of his views may be outdated, but one can't deny, he was a very strong person.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

If you want to argue about whether the Pope did a good job or not, take it here.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

He was a man who cared about others, and at least bothered to take an interest in their lives. That's more then you can say for many people.
I'm not going to speak ill of someone so recently deceased.