The Pope have been given the last rites.

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:Aly, that he's mentally ill doesn't give him a pass on what he did before that.
Like, say, opposing the Communists in Poland at great personal risk?
Don't forget the Nazis before that.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

'bout time. The fuckhead deserves all bad things that happen to him. Hope he bites the dust soon.
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wikipedia - The free encyclopedia
[+] Wombat, my blog
Contact @ mokuias {at} gmail {dot} com
Justforfun000
Sith Devotee

Post by Justforfun000 »

As much as I despise the average religion we have stemming from Judaism, I can't say I hate the man just because he is deluded.

That's what it comes down to in the long run. He's deluded. He truly believes that he is doing what is "right". As scary as his actions are to people not blinded by religious zeal, his motivations are not a conscious choice to be an evil prick. Unfortunately that doesn't make him any less dangerous either, and lets be realistic, his propagation of such a reprehensible belief system is culpable for a great deal of ethical aggravations society has been dealing with.

Ultimately, I won't shed a tear over his passing, but I don't despise him. Hopefully his replacement will be more progressive on many issues, but I won't hold my breath.
You have to realize that most Christian "moral values" behaviour is not really about "protecting" anyone; it's about their desire to send a continual stream of messages of condemnation towards people whose existence offends them. - Darth Wong alias Mike Wong

"There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. However, there is something very wrong with not choosing to exchange ignorance for knowledge when the opportunity presents itself."
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: Africa is a shithole, and it will remain a shithole regardless of what the catholic church does.
I don't think any one who criticise the Church in Africa denies that Africa is in bad shape. They are blaming the Church for making something already a "shithole" worse with their unscientific stance.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Actually the Catholic church has been amazingly progressive as far as churches go in the last 100 years, at least here in the US. When was the last time you saw a church change their position on an issue without splitting(Evolution in the catholic church... of hell, vatican 2)
I don't think those here who criticise the Church deny it is more progressive than some other Christian groups. However the "its not bad because others are worse" line of reasoning frankly doesn't cut it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Eh, John Paul the Second was actually a pretty good Pope. He took the Catholic Church in some decent direction (given how ponderous the bureaucracy of the Church is, it's amazing the Pope can do anything at all) even if he was a toon on other things. I wish him the best.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Don't forget the Nazis before that.
So? Strom Thurmond fought the Nazis. Doesn't mean he wasn't an asshole.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I don't think those here who criticise the Church deny it is more progressive than some other Christian groups. However the "its not bad because others are worse" line of reasoning frankly doesn't cut it.
You have to judge a religion relatively. I am not saying they are perfect becausethey are more progressive, but frankly they have made a lot of progress in the last hundred years, and I am sorry, but goodness is not an all or nothing deal, because people and organizations are not perfect entities.
I don't think any one who criticise the Church in Africa denies that Africa is in bad shape. They are blaming the Church for making something already a "shithole" worse with their unscientific stance.
Frankly, I want to see a study on whether or not the catholic church actually did make africa worse...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

As a Catholic myself, I obviously feel for his situation. And I can understand why there’s a lot of animosity toward him. But one has to remember; in his early days he has done a lot of good. Most people are only going to look at him and think of the sex scandals, the obviously backwards decisions concerning reproductions and we Gays…

But this is also they guy who is responsible for a LOT of forward thinking reforms. Sure Catholics in general may reform slower then snails, but we have him to think for some of those changes.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:As a Catholic myself, I obviously feel for his situation. And I can understand why there’s a lot of animosity toward him. But one has to remember; in his early days he has done a lot of good. Most people are only going to look at him and think of the sex scandals, the obviously backwards decisions concerning reproductions and we Gays…

But this is also they guy who is responsible for a LOT of forward thinking reforms. Sure Catholics in general may reform slower then snails, but we have him to think for some of those changes.
Crossroads, the man goes to third world countries and speaks against the use of birth control methods and tells his Catholics followers it's a sin to use any form of birth control. And lest us not forget his visits to Africa and speaking against the use of condoms on a continent that is dieing from aids. I find these actions almost akin to aiding in someone's murder.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

As always, i hope for a quiet, painless death for him. I tend to veer away from wishing pain or torment on people...

In some ways he was a good man, in other ways he was a bad man. He was flawed, i guess like all of us.

Trying not to sound pretentious, please forgive if this offends some i dont intend to...i assume whatever God or power in the universe will judge his fate now.
Kanye West Saves.

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Whether you believe in a god or gods or not, Pope John Paul II is going to meet them in less than a week.

He's suffering from septic shock now, which elderly people in intensive care have less than a 20% chance of surviving beyond 48 hours. The Pope, is just recieving treatment at home.

He will be gone before the week is out, and it's odds-on-even he won't make it through the weekend.
Cairber
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cairber »

I wish him and his family the best. May he have a peaceful death surrounded by those who love him.
Say NO to circumcision IT'S A BOY! This is a great link to show expecting parents.

I boycott Nestle; ask me why!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Tommy J wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:As a Catholic myself, I obviously feel for his situation. And I can understand why there’s a lot of animosity toward him. But one has to remember; in his early days he has done a lot of good. Most people are only going to look at him and think of the sex scandals, the obviously backwards decisions concerning reproductions and we Gays…

Crossroads, the man goes to third world countries and speaks against the use of birth control methods and tells his Catholics followers it's a sin to use any form of birth control. And lest us not forget his visits to Africa and speaking against the use of condoms on a continent that is dieing from aids. I find these actions almost akin to aiding in someone's murder.
WHile at the same time preaching abstinence from sex. Neither condom use, nor abstinence will realistically happen in africa.

You need to remember, these are VERY poor people we are dealing with who, in many villages still live in mud huts with thatched roofs with no electricity or running water, where genocide happens every other week. Sex is one of the only releases they have from a very stressfull existence(maybe they should be put down... a cookie to whoever gets the reference) so abstinence wont happen in those very poor communities. It may in the wealthier areas(few as they are)

Condom use probably wont happen either for reasons of procreation, and due to poverty.

The africans are fucked either way.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

John Paul's time was the 1980s. Neither he nor the Church were prepared to deal with the post-Cold War world. That's a criticism, but it's hardly one reserved for him.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Tommy J wrote:

WHile at the same time preaching abstinence from sex. Neither condom use, nor abstinence will realistically happen in africa.

You need to remember, these are VERY poor people we are dealing with who, in many villages still live in mud huts with thatched roofs with no electricity or running water, where genocide happens every other week. Sex is one of the only releases they have from a very stressfull existence(maybe they should be put down... a cookie to whoever gets the reference) so abstinence wont happen in those very poor communities. It may in the wealthier areas(few as they are)

Condom use probably wont happen either for reasons of procreation, and due to poverty.

The africans are fucked either way.
Yes, these are the same people who believe that having sex with virgins will cure them of AIDS. There are only two things that will fix the African situation, and that's a century of intensive economic development and education (which won't happen until the African nations get caring, uncorrupt leadership, which probably won't happen for another half-century at least.)

The other solution is liberal application of the Shep Solution, followed by a hopefully less-intensive education and development for those who were smart enough to duck and cover.

And on the Pope. Say what you will about him, but he did a lot to drag the Church into the 19th century and maybe even the early 20th. The next few Popes are liable to be violently reactionary old, doddering Italians. It will, sadly, take a long time until we see another pope as progressive (this is entirely relative,) as John Paul II.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

The only thing you can count on with Papal elections is to expect the unexpected. Of the last four popes, only one, Giovanni Montini (Paul VI) was the one who was expected; Angelo Roncalli (John XXIII) and Albino Luciani (John Paul I) were not the conclave's expected first choice - Karol Wojtyla broke all the rules, not only because of the shortness of his predecessor's reign but because of his youth and the extreme length of his own.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

moku wrote:'bout time. The fuckhead deserves all bad things that happen to him. Hope he bites the dust soon.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

If anyone is curious, MSNBC is reporting that his breathing is shallow. I wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't last the day.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Tommy J wrote:If anyone is curious, MSNBC is reporting that his breathing is shallow. I wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't last the day.
Yes. His breathing is shallow and he's starting to suffer from kidney failure. It won't be too much longer now.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Check out the "Choosing A Pope" link on www.cbsnews.com - some interesting things there, notably that the Church allows for "death of reason" as a valid end of term. Also, resignation is acceptable contrary to what I thought previously. It's just that he cannot be legally deposed since his authority is absolute.

Also:
CBS wrote:2: Death

When the pope dies, the Cardinal Camerlengo - dean of the College of Cardinals - must verify the death traditionally, by calling the pope three times by name without a response.
Naturally, they also rely on modern medicine to determine death, but...
whaitaminute....
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
tumbletom
Padawan Learner

Post by tumbletom »

I heard on the news just now that the pope died just now.......

May he rest in peace...
keep on tumblin, just keep tumblin

TUMBLE ON MY FRIENDS!!!!

"And the trogdor comes in the night...."
"Not this night he doesn"t!!!....um Come in the night!!!um... Trogdor!!!"

-Vin Diesel was the person screaming when Boba Fett died.
-Vin Diesel will grant you three wishes if you can guess Yoda's last name.
-Vin Diesel is the only one to use all 2 gigabytes of Gmail space.
-Vin Diesel is Darth Vader's father.
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

I second on that, the radio just announced that several sources have said he has died.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Steven Snyder wrote:I second on that, the radio just announced that several sources have said he has died.
Yeah, there's conflicting reports of his death. Some Italian news agencies have said he's dead and most others, including MSNBC and other American media say he's still alive.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

If he is in fact, dead, what kind of welcome do you suppose God will give him when he gets to the Pearly Gates? "HAH! April Fool's! Get back down there!"
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Steven Snyder wrote:I second on that, the radio just announced that several sources have said he has died.
AP is saying that the report comes from an Italian news agency that didn't state any sources. I'll say he isn't dead until it shows on the major news outlets.