US soldier kills Baghdad tiger

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

User avatar
BoredShirtless
BANNED
Posts: 3107
Joined: 2003-02-26 10:57am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

US soldier kills Baghdad tiger

Postby BoredShirtless » 2003-09-20 02:53pm

BAGHDAD, Iraq (Reuters) -- A U.S. soldier shot dead a rare Bengal tiger at Baghdad zoo after the animal injured another soldier who was trying to feed it through the cage bars, the zoo's manager said on Saturday.

Adil Salman Mousa told Reuters a group of U.S. soldiers were having a party in the zoo on Thursday night after it had closed.

"Someone was trying to feed the tigers,'' he said. "The tiger bit his finger off and clawed his arm. So his colleague took a gun and shot the tiger.''

The night watchman said the soldiers had arrived in military vehicles but were casually dressed and were drinking beer.

A U.S. military spokesman confirmed that a member of the coalition forces shot and killed a tiger but gave no further details.

At the tiger's cage, now empty, pools of blood showed that the soldier passed through a first cage intended only for keepers and stood next to the inner cage's narrow bars.

Mousa said U.S. officials came to see him on Friday to discuss the incident.

The tiger was one of two in the zoo, once the largest in the Middle East but today a decrepit collection of dirty cages and sad-looking animals.

In April, U.S. soldiers killed four lions that had escaped from the zoo. Hundreds of other animals were stolen or let loose by looters in the aftermath of the U.S. invasion of the Iraqi capital.


For FUCKS sakes! How wrong is this?

User avatar
Joe
Space Cowboy
Posts: 17314
Joined: 2002-08-22 09:58pm
Location: Wishing I was in Athens, GA
Contact:

Postby Joe » 2003-09-20 02:55pm

Shooting the escaped animals doesn't bother me, but killing the tiger was a bit excessive.
Image

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.

User avatar
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 7879
Joined: 2003-01-15 10:50am
Location: Montreal Canada North America

Postby Montcalm » 2003-09-20 03:04pm

These soldiers were not screened for signs of intelligence i guess. :roll:
Image
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.

User avatar
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie
Posts: 12962
Joined: 2002-07-04 05:47pm
Contact:

Postby Gil Hamilton » 2003-09-20 03:08pm

I don't see why they shot they tiger. It was the soldiers own fault for getting his arm chewed up.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter

User avatar
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13582
Joined: 2002-07-29 08:35am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Postby Tsyroc » 2003-09-20 03:13pm

Civilain clothes, weapons & beer. :? What's the problem? Was it getting too close to deer season back home and they just had to reenact part of it?

One guy got himself injured and the other guy shot a caged Bengal tiger. I can't say I feel sorry for the amount of shit those two soldiers are going to be in.

Still, it doesn't bring the tiger back.

User avatar
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord
Posts: 12407
Joined: 2002-07-11 12:27am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Postby Edi » 2003-09-20 04:02pm

Fuckers. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Gotta echo Tsyroc's sentiments, they're gonna deserve every ounce of shit they get for this. Just how fucking heartless do you have to be to kill a caged animal that did nothing wrong? Even if you're drunk? Wouldn't cross my mind even if I was nearly-passed-out-shitfaced.

Edi
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die

User avatar
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde
Posts: 14566
Joined: 2002-09-18 01:06am
Location: Exiled in the Pale of Settlement.

Postby The Duchess of Zeon » 2003-09-20 04:07pm

Edi wrote:that did nothing wrong?


Huh? It attacked a person. Animals that attack people are put down. That's what you always do to them. The incident might have been avoidable and is hardly a great thing, sure, but once the animal has attacked and mauled a person, it's sleep-sleep time.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.

User avatar
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 5888
Joined: 2002-07-04 09:54pm
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey
Contact:

Postby ArmorPierce » 2003-09-20 04:13pm

It attacked him threw while in the cage while one of the soldiers was doing something that it shouldn't have been. It wouldn't have been put down since it is the soldiers own fault that he was putting his hand through the cage. If it had happened while the tiger was out of the cage then maybe it would be put down.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

User avatar
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin
Posts: 21731
Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Location: The Deep Desert
Contact:

Postby Alyrium Denryle » 2003-09-20 04:23pm

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Edi wrote:that did nothing wrong?


Huh? It attacked a person. Animals that attack people are put down. That's what you always do to them. The incident might have been avoidable and is hardly a great thing, sure, but once the animal has attacked and mauled a person, it's sleep-sleep time.


That is the case when animals are DOMESTICATED. A tiger is a wild animal, and whenyou are feding it through the cage bars, you cant expct it to tell the difference between hand and food. It is a predator, that reacted in a predatory fashion, and it should not have been put down.

Only westerners(I love saying that) go on killing sprees of predatory animals. A shark kills a human, we go out and kill 150 sharks(and are hunting them out of the atlantic... even sharks that dont have commercial value, we catch them live in our nets, shoot them, then overboard they go)... a wolf eats a sheep(what do you expect it to do, sheep are easy confined prey) we nearly wipe wolves from the americas...

We go apeshit when a predatory animal kills easy prey(humans) and then ignore the fact that we are wiping them off the face of the earth.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences


There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

User avatar
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate
Posts: 37034
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:49pm
Location: Passchendaele City, HAB
Contact:

Postby Sea Skimmer » 2003-09-20 04:26pm

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Only westerners(I love saying that) go on killing sprees of predatory animals. A shark kills a human, we go out and kill 150 sharks(and are hunting them out of the atlantic... even sharks that dont have commercial value, we catch them live in our nets, shoot them, then overboard they go)... a wolf eats a sheep(what do you expect it to do, sheep are easy confined prey) we nearly wipe wolves from the americas...



Nice load of bullshit, both Tigers and Lions are endanger mainly because of poor people in Africa and India shooting them for killing livestock over the last twenty years.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

User avatar
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord
Posts: 12407
Joined: 2002-07-11 12:27am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Postby Edi » 2003-09-20 04:36pm

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Edi wrote:that did nothing wrong?


Huh? It attacked a person. Animals that attack people are put down. That's what you always do to them. The incident might have been avoidable and is hardly a great thing, sure, but once the animal has attacked and mauled a person, it's sleep-sleep time.


That is the case when animals are DOMESTICATED. A tiger is a wild animal, and whenyou are feding it through the cage bars, you cant expct it to tell the difference between hand and food. It is a predator, that reacted in a predatory fashion, and it should not have been put down.

Precisely. I can understand shooting an escaped tiger that tried to attack him, but if you push your hand into a tiger cage, you're asking to get it bitten off. The man and his companion (especially the companion, because he shot the tiger) were assholes. The soldier fucked up because he was a moron in the first place, and it was his own damn fault he got mauled.

Alyrium, the rest of your argument doesn't hold water, for the reasons Sea Skimmer said. You're right about the wolves, but the rest of it is more or less bullshit. Sharks are typically caught for their fins, they cut the fins off to sell them and toss the bodies overboard, by the way. They are not being exterminated "just because".

Edi
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die

User avatar
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales
Posts: 12806
Joined: 2002-07-08 12:06pm
Location: NYC

Postby Stravo » 2003-09-20 04:38pm

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Only westerners(I love saying that) go on killing sprees of predatory animals. A shark kills a human, we go out and kill 150 sharks(and are hunting them out of the atlantic... even sharks that dont have commercial value, we catch them live in our nets, shoot them, then overboard they go)... a wolf eats a sheep(what do you expect it to do, sheep are easy confined prey) we nearly wipe wolves from the americas...

We go apeshit when a predatory animal kills easy prey(humans) and then ignore the fact that we are wiping them off the face of the earth.


I assume thats why the Japanese are such wonderful Whalers and they have killed sharks simply for their fins dumping the rest back in teh sea. Also "Easterners" have a growing demand for such wonderful things as Tiger testicles and Rhincerous horns that drive these creatures to be slaughtered by poachers.

You may want to stop spreading the wide brush stroke bullshit before you get some on you. :roll:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Image

User avatar
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin
Posts: 21731
Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Location: The Deep Desert
Contact:

Postby Alyrium Denryle » 2003-09-20 04:43pm

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Only westerners(I love saying that) go on killing sprees of predatory animals. A shark kills a human, we go out and kill 150 sharks(and are hunting them out of the atlantic... even sharks that dont have commercial value, we catch them live in our nets, shoot them, then overboard they go)... a wolf eats a sheep(what do you expect it to do, sheep are easy confined prey) we nearly wipe wolves from the americas...



Nice load of bullshit, both Tigers and Lions are endanger mainly because of poor people in Africa and India shooting them for killing livestock over the last twenty years.


I would have to contest that one. Lions iirc are not at risk, and tigers are near extinction, not because of villagers, but because of demand for their bones and organs in chinese markets, and the skin trade.

The sharks are killed for their fins yes, but only certain species are collected for that purpose, Blues for example, have no commercial value, and IIRC are still killed when brought overboard. I have seen footage of ths, and while it may not be as common as I made it out to be, we still kill over 100 milion sharks per year. Most of which are hunted off in the atlantic
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences


There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

User avatar
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin
Posts: 21731
Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Location: The Deep Desert
Contact:

Postby Alyrium Denryle » 2003-09-20 04:44pm

Stravo wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Only westerners(I love saying that) go on killing sprees of predatory animals. A shark kills a human, we go out and kill 150 sharks(and are hunting them out of the atlantic... even sharks that dont have commercial value, we catch them live in our nets, shoot them, then overboard they go)... a wolf eats a sheep(what do you expect it to do, sheep are easy confined prey) we nearly wipe wolves from the americas...

We go apeshit when a predatory animal kills easy prey(humans) and then ignore the fact that we are wiping them off the face of the earth.


I assume thats why the Japanese are such wonderful Whalers and they have killed sharks simply for their fins dumping the rest back in teh sea. Also "Easterners" have a growing demand for such wonderful things as Tiger testicles and Rhincerous horns that drive these creatures to be slaughtered by poachers.

You may want to stop spreading the wide brush stroke bullshit before you get some on you. :roll:



I said predatory animals, when they kill humans. I was responding to wild animals being put down for killing humans, please pay attention.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences


There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

User avatar
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin
Posts: 21731
Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Location: The Deep Desert
Contact:

Postby Alyrium Denryle » 2003-09-20 04:46pm

Though I do admit the "only westerners" statement was out of line and foolish
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences


There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

User avatar
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate
Posts: 37034
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:49pm
Location: Passchendaele City, HAB
Contact:

Postby Sea Skimmer » 2003-09-20 04:47pm

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
I would have to contest that one. Lions iirc are not at risk,
Wrong, Lions are rapidly approaching extinction with an 80% drop in numbers in the last 20 years. I see you know nothing on the subject, which you have made an incredible broad statement of condemnation on. Well that's typical for you so I shouldn't be surprised.
and tigers are near extinction, not because of villagers, but because of demand for their bones and organs in chinese markets, and the skin trade.


Its both, of course either way the people who are kill them are not westerners and your completly wrong.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

User avatar
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate
Posts: 37034
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:49pm
Location: Passchendaele City, HAB
Contact:

Postby Sea Skimmer » 2003-09-20 04:50pm

Edi wrote:Precisely. I can understand shooting an escaped tiger that tried to attack him, but if you push your hand into a tiger cage, you're asking to get it bitten off. The man and his companion (especially the companion, because he shot the tiger) were assholes. The soldier fucked up because he was a moron in the first place, and it was his own damn fault he got mauled.


Its possibul they shot the thing while it was still attacking him, when a large cat gets a hold of something it does not let go easily. People have had whole limbs torn off in similar situations.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

User avatar
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin
Posts: 21731
Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Location: The Deep Desert
Contact:

Postby Alyrium Denryle » 2003-09-20 04:56pm

Lions conceeded

http://www.africanconservancy.org/about ... /Facts.pdf

On the tigers however, I am seeng their threats listed as Poaching for skin/organ/bone trade, and habitat destruction.

However "Only westernr" comment is conceeded. It was not thought through, and I apologize for my stupidity.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences


There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

User avatar
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin
Posts: 21731
Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Location: The Deep Desert
Contact:

Postby Alyrium Denryle » 2003-09-20 04:59pm

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Edi wrote:Precisely. I can understand shooting an escaped tiger that tried to attack him, but if you push your hand into a tiger cage, you're asking to get it bitten off. The man and his companion (especially the companion, because he shot the tiger) were assholes. The soldier fucked up because he was a moron in the first place, and it was his own damn fault he got mauled.


Its possibul they shot the thing while it was still attacking him, when a large cat gets a hold of something it does not let go easily. People have had whole limbs torn off in similar situations.


Heads as well....

What I am wondering is, what the fuck were they doing drunk, in a zoo, and armed, in the first place.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences


There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

User avatar
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin
Posts: 21731
Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Location: The Deep Desert
Contact:

Postby Alyrium Denryle » 2003-09-20 05:00pm

Frankly, a zoo is one of the last places I would want to be drinking.
"Hey*hicup* Jim, lets go *stumble* swimming"
*sign* "Crocodile enclosure no swimming"
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences


There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

User avatar
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie
Posts: 12962
Joined: 2002-07-04 05:47pm
Contact:

Postby Gil Hamilton » 2003-09-20 05:04pm

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: Huh? It attacked a person. Animals that attack people are put down. That's what you always do to them. The incident might have been avoidable and is hardly a great thing, sure, but once the animal has attacked and mauled a person, it's sleep-sleep time.

The soldier stuck his hand in the tiger's face. He was practically asking to have his hand bitten off. Wonderful logic you have, a person does something monumentally stupid with an animal and begs to be attacked, and your solution is to shoot the animal because the person was stupid. Brilliant.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter

User avatar
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate
Posts: 37034
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:49pm
Location: Passchendaele City, HAB
Contact:

Postby Sea Skimmer » 2003-09-20 05:05pm

Alyrium Denryle wrote:What I am wondering is, what the fuck were they doing drunk, in a zoo, and armed, in the first place.


When a guerrilla war is ongoing troops do no go anywhere without there weapons. They may have been assigned to guard to zoo or have been based inside or beside it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

User avatar
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin
Posts: 21731
Joined: 2002-07-11 08:34pm
Location: The Deep Desert
Contact:

Postby Alyrium Denryle » 2003-09-20 05:07pm

Um.. they were casually dressed, and drinking... the two combinaions of "armed and dinking" and "drinking in a zoo" are what I simply cant fathom...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences


There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

User avatar
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!
Posts: 8485
Joined: 2003-08-12 09:49am
Location: San Antonio
Contact:

Postby Chardok » 2003-09-20 05:07pm

Montcalm wrote:These soldiers were not screened for signs of intelligence i guess. :roll:


As usual, mont, we find ourselves on the same mode of thought. As a former member of the military, I can tell you U.S. soldiers are NOT screened for intelligence. Unless you count the pitiful ASVAB (Armed services Vocational Attribute battery, if I'm not mistaken.) which has questions like 10w-40 is a type of:
A) Motor Oil
B) Transmission Fluid
C) Brake Fluid
D) None of the above

I remember this question because I thought I knew something about cars ( I did, but gave a careless answer of B)
Don't know how I mixed up 10W-40 and dexron/Mercon-3, but I did... Oh well. I still qualified to be a damn nuke tech on a submarine:
WITH NO HIGHER EDUCATION. Frightening...although, I suppose I could be shot for revealing this information about Military operations.


As an aside, it should be mentioned that, though I qualified to be a nuke tech, I later found out that, though no HIGHER education is required, per se, you must pass a 1 1/2 year advanced training program, though, given the phenomena observed during my basic training and AIT (Advanced individual training) to become an MP, (i.e. pushing through training people woefully unqualified to serve me french fries) This is a frightening thought.
Image

Rubberanvil
Jedi Master
Posts: 1167
Joined: 2002-09-30 06:32pm

Postby Rubberanvil » 2003-09-20 06:01pm

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Edi wrote:that did nothing wrong?


Huh? It attacked a person. Animals that attack people are put down. That's what you always do to them.
Actually you're very wrong on that whenever stupid people are involved. Especially in the states where zoos, their patrons and the cities tend to despise people who ignore all of the warnings and crosses over all of the barriers just to take a picture of themselves with a large predatory animals.




WTF are the soldiers doing with beer when iirc they're not to be allowed to drink acholol(sp) in Iraq?


Return to “Famous Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests