[Official Thread] OBAMA WINS RE-ELECTION

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Colorado & Minnesota Caucus

Post by Mr Bean »

With 86% reporting Santorum is up by just over a thousand votes but there are free Romney friendly counties outstanding. So yes lets call this another close win for Santorum. And if he does win all three it creates a whole new media cycle, even more so the "crush" win in Minnesota Caucus which while not counting still resulted in a 30 point win. Romney needs 1220 delegates to win clean. And if he wins every single contest from here to the June with 50% of the vote he will have 1117.

Hooray for proportional representation. If he spends the rest of this and next month winning states by less than 50% he will have to get 90% of the votes from the April/May/June Primaries. If we still see states being won by 30%-40% you'll start seeing Nate Silver predicting that it's going to go to a floor fight.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Jesus, the GOP is just all over the place isn't it?
JADAFETWA
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Mr Bean wrote:With 86% reporting Santorum is up by just over a thousand votes but there are free Romney friendly counties outstanding. So yes lets call this another close win for Santorum. And if he does win all three it creates a whole new media cycle, even more so the "crush" win in Minnesota Caucus which while not counting still resulted in a 30 point win. Romney needs 1220 delegates to win clean. And if he wins every single contest from here to the June with 50% of the vote he will have 1117.

Hooray for proportional representation. If he spends the rest of this and next month winning states by less than 50% he will have to get 90% of the votes from the April/May/June Primaries. If we still see states being won by 30%-40% you'll start seeing Nate Silver predicting that it's going to go to a floor fight.

At this point a smoke filled room choosing Christie or J.E.B. Bush at the convention as a compromise candidate is actually possible, as it's quite likely that none of the candidates will have sufficient delegates to win outright, along with things like Ron Paul delegates storming the floor with signs saying "GOLD STANDARD" like it was 1896. I'm listening to Al Stewart's Warren Harding and reflecting that the Republican Party has at least taken itself back to the Gilded Age in addition to the country.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Does Christie have any sort of shady baggage from New Jersey? It would certainly explain why he explicitly ruled out running this time.

I think the party bosses would realize that Jeb Bush might be a little too much. Though it might save some of their Senate and House races by throwing him as the sacrificial lamb. Maybe they could run Kay Bailey Hutchinson from Texas or Mitch Daniels (though Daniel's little rounding error with the Iraq War isn't going to be very inspiring)?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Pelranius wrote:Does Christie have any sort of shady baggage from New Jersey? It would certainly explain why he explicitly ruled out running this time.
Oh, if wishing made it so... but no, I don't think so. For a Republican in a blue state, he's fairly popular. Last poll I can find puts his NJ approval rating in the mid-fifties.

When was the last time there was a smoke-filled-room compromise candidate from a major party? Even if there is one this year, which I doubt, I can't see it being Christie. I thought the point of a smoke-filled room was to come up with a candidate that's no one's favorite, but that no one seriously objects to, either. I don't think people who voted for Gingrich or Santorum would accept Christie, although he'd be dangerous as hell in a general election.

Anyway, I think it's far too early to predict a floor fight or a smoke-filled-room compromise. This primary season has nothing on 2008's. Just because we don't know who will win the nomination doesn't mean it won't be clear in a couple of months.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Posting it here because imho it doesn't deserve a trhead:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Only for those with really poor taste in humor: Spoiler
So could that be called a money shot then?
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Pelranius wrote:82% reporting in, Santorum now has 38% to Mitten's 37%. CNN is calling it for the chocolate froth.

How incompetent is Mitten's organization?! He won Colorado in 2008 with 60%!
The answer to this is simple: "Florida." As in Santorum abandoned Florida to blanket Colorado and these other small-fry in advertising, while Romney and Gingrich beat each other bloody through millions and millions of dollars in Florida TV ads. Romney didn't run much in the way of advertising in Colorado, didn't do nearly as much campaigning as Santorum, and the results show it.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

If the other candidates keep having to burn all their resources to win a small state here and there, Romney is still going to outlast them. It's precarious for Santorum and Newt--I think they're both one especially or unexpectedly bad showing from collapse. Nobody's going to keep spending pouring money into a campaign with no shot, and both those campaigns need constant infusions of money to stay alive. Mittens would have to do something outlandish like lose California to seriously jeopardize his nomination.

Paul will be in it until the convention, but barring a bizarre three-plane midair collision involving the other candiates, he has no chance. I don't think he's really in it to be president at this point anyway. He's just taking the one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pitch his philosophy to a (comparatively) mainstream national audience.

Fun as a floor fight would be, I think this primary campaign is gonig to be over sooner than most people expect. I don't think the anti-Mittens coalition can keep him from the nomination.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

As long as it makes for good television, this primary season will go all the fuck the way to Tampa. And give me a fuckton of 4am nights.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Dalton wrote:As long as it makes for good television, this primary season will go all the fuck the way to Tampa. And give me a fuckton of 4am nights.
I hope you aren't salaried.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Pelranius wrote:Does Christie have any sort of shady baggage from New Jersey? It would certainly explain why he explicitly ruled out running this time.
He may have just decided he doesn't want to be president, or doesn't want to be president right now. It's hardly uncommon for people to talk up a man as a plausible candidate, but for that person to decide not to run.

The fact that Christie didn't make a grab for the nomination in the primaries, to me, suggests that he won't be throwing his hat into the ring in the convention, even if the primaries don't settle the matter eventually, which they might. Paul never had a real chance, Santorum is wobbly for all his success in these two. Gingrich has a shot- he has what it takes to go toe to toe with Romney in debate, and enough reputation that he can pull in money to keep his campaign going.

But it's probably going to reduce to a primary race of Romney vs. Gingrich sooner or later, and by the time of the convention it will be reasonably clear. Though the smoke-filled room possibility is entertaining, and perhaps a bit frightening, I think a big part of the reason we're having such an intense primary season for the Republicans in the first place is that the party leadership is having trouble keeping the various factions (fundamentalist, corporatist, war-hawk, anarcho-libertarian) united behind a single man the way they united behind Bush. A compromise candidate would have to stop and convince all the fragments of the Republican base to unite behind him before he could even start to cope with the general election.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Tsyroc wrote:
Dalton wrote:As long as it makes for good television, this primary season will go all the fuck the way to Tampa. And give me a fuckton of 4am nights.
I hope you aren't salaried.
Fuck no.
To Absent Friends

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Simon_Jester wrote:
He may have just decided he doesn't want to be president, or doesn't want to be president right now. It's hardly uncommon for people to talk up a man as a plausible candidate, but for that person to decide not to run.

The fact that Christie didn't make a grab for the nomination in the primaries, to me, suggests that he won't be throwing his hat into the ring in the convention, even if the primaries don't settle the matter eventually, which they might. Paul never had a real chance, Santorum is wobbly for all his success in these two. Gingrich has a shot- he has what it takes to go toe to toe with Romney in debate, and enough reputation that he can pull in money to keep his campaign going.

But it's probably going to reduce to a primary race of Romney vs. Gingrich sooner or later, and by the time of the convention it will be reasonably clear. Though the smoke-filled room possibility is entertaining, and perhaps a bit frightening, I think a big part of the reason we're having such an intense primary season for the Republicans in the first place is that the party leadership is having trouble keeping the various factions (fundamentalist, corporatist, war-hawk, anarcho-libertarian) united behind a single man the way they united behind Bush. A compromise candidate would have to stop and convince all the fragments of the Republican base to unite behind him before he could even start to cope with the general election.

Another part of the issue is of course that the candidates represent freaky alliances between at least two of these factions, and a few others. These others make them unpalatable to large portions of the voting block.

Mittens: Corporatist Mormon milquetoast
The Malignant Threshold Salamander : Hypocritical and Fraudulent Fundamentalist Corporatist Warhawk
Rectal Slime: Retrograde Catholic Fundamentalist Corporate Whore
Ron Paul (his name is all the joke I need): Fundamentalist Anarcho-Skinhead

Texas has open primaries, and I intend to vote in the GOP one just so I can help the most repulsive candidate in the convention... but... I actually dont know who to vote for...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Texas has open primaries, and I intend to vote in the GOP one just so I can help the most repulsive candidate in the convention... but... I actually dont know who to vote for...
By your criteria Ron Paul as Ron Paul is not going to win, but every delegate he gets, gives him a bigger voice at the conference. And if he gains enough to play King-maker between Mittens at 897 and Santorum at 868 with Paul having gotten 200 along the way to put one or the other over the top means he will have enough clout to affect the platform which could result in either someone not on the ballet or a schizophrenic Republican platform for the election.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dalton

Mittens takes Maine

Post by Dalton »

I wonder if this primary season merits its own catchall thread?

In any case, Mitty took Maine, Ron Paul 2nd, Santorum 3rd.
To Absent Friends

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Mittens takes Maine

Post by Flagg »

Do they proportion the delegates? Because it's so close that it may be another tie if they do.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

It doesn't appear to be a winner-take-all state, so the delegate assignments have not happened yet (they won't happen until the Convention anyway). NBC has not yet projected the totals.
To Absent Friends

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Dalton wrote:I wonder if this primary season merits its own catchall thread?

In any case, Mitty took Maine, Ron Paul 2nd, Santorum 3rd.
Considering there will be an ongoing stream of Primaries, a Sticky might be applicable for the election season, at least until the General Election hits.

That said not exactly surprised Mittens took Maine.
The north isn't evangelical enough for Icky Ricky and there isn't a tea party base to support Newt.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Well 5% is still out, and it wouldn't surprise me if that leans towards Paul since the voting won't happen until later and Willard has already "won". God I hate Caucuses.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Flagg wrote:Well 5% is still out, and it wouldn't surprise me if that leans towards Paul since the voting won't happen until later and Willard has already "won". God I hate Caucuses.
These are the official results as released by the Maine GOP. From what I have heard there will be no further updates of these numbers.
To Absent Friends

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

That's bizarre. There is only 95% in. These cunts tell people they can't vote if they don't have a fucking picture ID and they can't even run a goddamned election.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Flagg wrote:That's bizarre. There is only 95% in. These cunts tell people they can't vote if they don't have a fucking picture ID and they can't even run a goddamned election.
*shrug* There are still several county caucuses to go, but I don't think they're going to matter much. However, keep in mind that no delegates are assigned until the Convention, but I don't foresee much of a change in terms of the percentage. Romney and Paul will likely earn equal amounts of delegates.
To Absent Friends

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Dalton wrote:I wonder if this primary season merits its own catchall thread?
Probably. This is, what, thread #4? Maybe we should just sticky this and/or turn it into the official GOP Primary Thread.
JADAFETWA
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

I'm going to merge everything.

EDIT: I've merged all the primary/caucus threads into here. Any discussion about upcoming races should go in here.
To Absent Friends