Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 08:13am
Psychic Penguin

Hi all,

It has been a while (work has been destroying me, long story). Anyway I have an update on Chris. As you have seen thanks to Vympel Chris' appeal has been completed. Tomorrow morning we find out the results. With luck it will be an acquital. Chris and Mrs Szitovszky are both understandably very tense.

The most likely options are retrial or acquital. If it is acquital chris goes free immediately with no record, obviously the best choice. If it is a retrial they will need to apply for bail, in which case Chris will probably have to wait a week or so, also this continues the whole process and costs. Obviously we all hope for an acquital.

I will be going to show my support and will report the results tomorrow. Hopefully if the system actually works this time and maybe Chris will be able to give the news himself.

Mrs Szitovsky thanks you all for your continued support.
Thread changed to announcement-Bean
Edit, make that a global for the week.

Last edited by Mr Flibble on 2009-03-19 06:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Stofsk/Chris Appeal Judgement update PostPosted: 2009-03-19 08:57am
SMAKIBBFB

Where/when is the appeal judgement being heard? I've got the day off tomorrow and with any luck (and if the electrician and other assorted repair folk show on time) I may be able to get there.

What is Project Zohar?

Post subject: Re: Stofsk/Chris Appeal Judgement update PostPosted: 2009-03-19 09:12am
Psychic Penguin

weemadando wrote:
Where/when is the appeal judgement being heard? I've got the day off tomorrow and with any luck (and if the electrician and other assorted repair folk show on time) I may be able to get there.

It isbeing held at 9:15am in the supreme court. If you can make it pm me and i'll give you the details.

Post subject: Re: Stofsk/Chris Appeal Judgement update PostPosted: 2009-03-19 04:43pm
SMAKIBBFB

Sadly no chance then. I may have been able to make an afternoon hearing. Wish him and his family the best from me though.

What is Project Zohar?

Post subject: Re: Stofsk/Chris Appeal Judgement update PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:32pm
Psychic Penguin

Excellent news. Chris acquited he will be free today! I will update more details later when i get to a computer

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:34pm
Jedi Council Member

Congratulations!

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:38pm
Jedi Council Member

That's phenomenal! What a great bit of news. Well done, Chris and family!

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:43pm
Jedi Master

So now is there any possibility of a civil suit for wrongful imprisonment? I know that would be the next step here in America, but I don't know how things are in the land of Oz.

Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:45pm
Village Idiot

I apologize in advance for my utter and supreme ignorance on the subject, but who is Chris and what the hell happened?

SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:48pm
Sith Marauder

Ryan Thunder wrote:
I apologize in advance for my utter and supreme ignorance on the subject, but who is Chris and what the hell happened?

Not an expert, but something like:

Some years ago- 2, 2.5? Chris, being someone on SDN, was rather surprisingly arrested for the murder of his father with an axe. He was quickly put in jail and charged with the murder and so forth, given a guilty sentence and a few articles in the paper about the horrible axe-murdering internet using violent video game kid killing his dad or some such drivel.

The only problem was he didn't do it, so here we are today after some appeals on legal grounds basically stating 'this trial was a sham' so great that the appeals prosecution said 'your honour i agree with the defense this trial shouldn't have ever happened'.

Thus here we are today.

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:50pm
Jedi Knight

Excellent! We've been waiting rather a long time for this day.

"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:52pm
Roosevelt Republican
Roosevelt Republican

I'm at a loss to explain how happy this makes me. This is really first rate news.

Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:53pm
Blackpowder Man

Excellent. Congratulations!

Ryan Thunder wrote:

Just read this thread. It's got most of the info.

M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:53pm
Village Idiot

Oh. Wow. That's... terrible. :(

I'm glad to hear they aquitted him, at least.

SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 06:57pm
The Anti-Shep

Location: What's the bonus for shooting bad guys from behind?
This acquittal is long overdue, but I'm going to do a victory lap just the same.

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:03pm
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

thats awesome. Hope he drops in after the inevitable ZOMG THAT PIZZA WAS AWESOME AND I AM VERY DRUNK BECAUSE I CAN WOO HOO! Party! :)

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:06pm
HATES GRADING

Outstanding!

"... alas, too many people think consistency the hobgoblin of little minds." -Publius

Daily Nugget of Wisdom from Goldman Sachs:
"I say 'keep the change' purely for my own convenience."

"A space shuttle on the back of an aircraft carrier in New York City is perhaps the most American thing you could have without the help of a deep fryer. I'm surprised anyone in the US opposes it." - Gandalf

WARNING: May become overexcited by mathematics or monetary policy.

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:17pm
Emperor's Hand

YES! I'll be cross posting this at Librium Arcana, where Chris has friends and supporters.

The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.

Librium Arcana

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:18pm
Browncoat Wookiee

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear more about it, I hope the judge had some suitably scathing condemnation for the way in which he was railroaded, and that his father's true killer will be found.

Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:21pm
Psychic Penguin

Ok more details now as I'm at a computer with a keyboard. The judgement lasted all of two minutes, the judges came in (with all the usual ceremonial bits) and read the judgement. The appeal was granted, the conviction quashed. Chris' Mum is now organising how to go pick him up (it is a two hour drive to the prison). The decision was unanimous (that means all three judges agreed). All this means he is a free man.

The question of compensation is complicated and will probably be talked over with lawyers, right now the focus is getting Chris home.

Chris' mum says thanks to everyone for all their support. Everyone here is ecstatic with the news.

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:27pm
Browncoat Wookiee

Please ask him to post something on here. We need to get him something, a hooker, movies, I dunno, but something. Tell him he gets 1 wish, and SDN will try to grant it.

Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:39pm
Rabid Monkey

Buy that man some pizza, some beer, a cigar and a whore!

A clean whore, even!

Awesome!

Edit: I don't want to party-poop at a time like this, but the support phase is not over. After what he's been through, he may have something akin to PTSD and may require some time and patience re-adjusting to normal life...

Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:44pm
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Excellent. Whoever speaks to him next, please pass along my well-wishes. I can't be online to greet him when he gets back to his computer due to my computer trouble, but I wish him all the best.

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:46pm
Miscreant

Guilty or not, he is a cool guy to discuss things with and was a solid contributor here, so I'm glad he got out of any further punishment. I'll buy him a bottle if he ever makes it out my way, or I out his.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

Post subject: Re: STOFSK/CHRIS ACQUITED!!! PostPosted: 2009-03-19 07:50pm
Sith Devotee

AWESOME news. However, even in this moment of joy I feel real sadness and anger for what happened to Chris, because this was a disgraceful miscarriage of justice.

I look forward to Chris posting here once more: a free and innocent man.

"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next