US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
By the way, Obama was right about the road to do the right thing is hard. Certain members on SB.com is already planning to screw the nation upside down, just because of the fact that, his candidate did not win the election.
How so? If anyone's suggesting acts of violence, they should be reported to law enforcement.
For example, the constant opposition to policy that an Obama presidency can bring about to everyone. Even if it can benefit those idiots, they will still oppose it, to ensure that an Obama presidency is as miserable as possible and make everyone suffer.

Picketing, demonstrations are one of the few tools those people can use without being arrested. They are not voting to see anyone lives can be improved. They are voting against and opposing Obama to make everyone suffer.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

As soon as Prop 8 goes into effect, a lawsuit needs to be immediately filed that since under state law marriage equality is demanded, ergo all marriages between breeders (the worthless retarded fucks) must be declared invalid in the state. The institution of marriage in California must be destroyed entire in retaliation for the support of Californians for Prop 8, and fortunately the California Supreme Court may well help us with this.

I've never felt quite so radical or furious before, with all my old conservative vanished into a puff of smoke. Watching a measure to improve conditions on factory farms sail to victory while the same people were ruthlessly oppressing me and all my kind was the last straw with the admittedly pathetic remnants of my prior right-wing views. I'll now willingly admit to being basically a Left-Gaullist, and a European in political views, uncomfortably stuck in America. If you ever use IRC, Stas, let me know. I'd like to talk politics sometime.

I just wish the opportunity existed to start twisting the screws against these fucking yobs. Having all their marriages declared invalid is the first step. We need to find ways to start destroying their relationships and corrupting their children, and the LGBT movement needs to restart its practice of the aggressive tactical outing of closeted queer politicians. For Florida, Arizona, and California I bet we can find four Republicans each who have been fucking fourteen year old boys in public park toilets.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

ray245 wrote:
By the way, Obama was right about the road to do the right thing is hard. Certain members on SB.com is already planning to screw the nation upside down, just because of the fact that, his candidate did not win the election.
How so? If anyone's suggesting acts of violence, they should be reported to law enforcement.
For example, the constant opposition to policy that an Obama presidency can bring about to everyone. Even if it can benefit those idiots, they will still oppose it, to ensure that an Obama presidency is as miserable as possible and make everyone suffer.

Picketing, demonstrations are one of the few tools those people can use without being arrested. They are not voting to see anyone lives can be improved. They are voting against and opposing Obama to make everyone suffer.
I would go to SB.com (Space Battles, right), if not for the fact that the wankers banned me for an offense I did not commit, then ignored my e-mails. Funny thing is, I don't actually recall them being that far right when I used to post their. Maybe Palin managed to rile them up like those mobs at her meetings. :evil:

In other news, have we got the results for prop. 8 yet?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

That would be a rather fitting outcome for California....
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:As soon as Prop 8 goes into effect, a lawsuit needs to be immediately filed that since under state law marriage equality is demanded, ergo all marriages between breeders (the worthless retarded fucks) must be declared invalid in the state. The institution of marriage in California must be destroyed entire in retaliation for the support of Californians for Prop 8, and fortunately the California Supreme Court may well help us with this.
An interesting idea to make their own plan bite them in the ass, but I can't imagine the US court system going for it.
I just wish the opportunity existed to start twisting the screws against these fucking yobs. Having all their marriages declared invalid is the first step. We need to find ways to start destroying their relationships and corrupting their children, and the LGBT movement needs to restart its practice of the aggressive tactical outing of closeted queer politicians. For Florida, Arizona, and California I bet we can find four Republicans each who have been fucking fourteen year old boys in public park toilets.
Personally I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of fighting hate with hate. What exactly do you mean by "destroying their relationships and corrupting their children"?

By all means out the politicians though. I cannot stand liers and hypocrites in politics, and someone who persecutes a life style they secretly practice can go fuck themselves.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

havokeff wrote:
It doesn't look like anyone is making specific threats, just that they think he will be assassinated and soon.

But uhhh... remind me not to go there again. I'm still trying to wipe the idiot smears off my screen. :|
Hi havokeff - I posted a reply to your post in the "congrats Obama" thread on SB.com (not much congratulating going on there - typical that the idiots would try to spoil point of thread).
The pissants there are all talk - none of them will do anything to oppose the government (except cheat on their tax claims).
There is also there an idiotic thread suggesting that McCain could have a role in the Obama cabinet (a "popular" suggestion is defense secretary - no doubt that comes from his massive military experience :roll: as a POW).
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/const-toc.html

A link to the Californian state constitution.

The fun item is Article I Section 7 Item B:

(b) A citizen or class of citizens may not be granted privileges
or immunities not granted on the same terms to all citizens.
Privileges or immunities granted by the Legislature may be altered or
revoked.

Aside from semantics, Proposition 8 violates this item by making marriage a privilege extended only to a "class of citizens": heterosexuals.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Steve wrote:http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/const-toc.html

revoked.

Aside from semantics, Proposition 8 violates this item by making marriage a privilege extended only to a "class of citizens": heterosexuals.
So it gets ruled as unconstitutional. What then? Does it go to the US Supreme Court? If so, it'll take a while, so an Obama appointee or two can probably swing it easy.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

An interesting idea to make their own plan bite them in the ass, but I can't imagine the US court system going for it.
It doesn't have to.

Just the California state court system, which is a far more liberal beast.
Personally I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of fighting hate with hate. What exactly do you mean by "destroying their relationships and corrupting their children"?

Mostly wistful dreaming of seeing every married couple that voted for Prop 8 have their relationship end in a ruinous, painful divorce, while all of their kids are taught to be atheists who respect gay people in school, and are raised to hate their own parents as backwards, useless bigots.

This is pretty mild by the standards of what I feel right now. Is it irrational and immoral? Certainly, but I'm being oppressed and it hurts, bad. And "it" in this case that I'm admitting to is the impulse to throw every one of those worthless fuckers into a gulag.

For that matter, it does show the biggest problem with allowing Hispanic immigration. Most of them are rabid Catholics, and we don't need more of those if America is ever going to become a genuinely equal nation.
By all means out the politicians though. I cannot stand liers and hypocrites in politics, and someone who persecutes a life style they secretly practice can go fuck themselves.
Oh, I'm sure, very sure, I'm not the only person thinking about this.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Steve wrote:http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/const-toc.html

revoked.

So it gets ruled as unconstitutional. What then? Does it go to the US Supreme Court? If so, it'll take a while, so an Obama appointee or two can probably swing it easy.

No, it's a California Constitutional matter, so the California constitution is the highest in the land.

Since the two measures contradict, parsimony demands the solution is to outlaw all marriage, actually, in legal terms. That's why what I suggested is plausible.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Thank you, people of the United States of America :luv: . Thank you so much for doing the right thing.

Yours,
Thomas
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

The fuckers claimed that gay marriage would lead to the end of straight marriage. Well, the California constitution's language means we have them by the balls, and it's time to show them that it's actually the exact opposite. Banning gay marriage will lead to the end of straight marriage, instead. And the sooner all 30 million Californians are fornicating in sin, the better.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

If that happens I would laugh for a whole week.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I think a lot of people could find the feelings being expressed over this being similar to what I've put in my sig. "Let justice be done, though the heavens fall!"

Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:For that matter, it does show the biggest problem with allowing Hispanic immigration.
And the alternative would be ... not allowing "Hispanic immigration"? We should screen immigrants based on their ethnicity?
Most of them are rabid Catholics, and we don't need more of those if America is ever going to become a genuinely equal nation.
I know it's just an exit poll, but CNN's exit polls showed a much bigger margin for "yes" among protestants than among Catholics. And blacks will have voted as much for it as latinos, if not more so ... should we "disallow" black immigration too?
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Yet that 44% of Catholics saying Yes may hurt more, proportionately, than the 60% of Protestants, and you have to consider that immigrant Catholics may be more devout than native ones and more willing to vote in that way.

Unfortunately, the most religious types may not be affected by the "all marriages are banned now" interpretation, because as far as they're concerned, they gave their oathes in church "in the presence of God", etc., and what the state says doesn't count. They wouldn't enjoy the legal benefits of marriage anymore, of course...

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Robert Treder wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:For that matter, it does show the biggest problem with allowing Hispanic immigration.
And the alternative would be ... not allowing "Hispanic immigration"? We should screen immigrants based on their ethnicity?
Most of them are rabid Catholics, and we don't need more of those if America is ever going to become a genuinely equal nation.
I know it's just an exit poll, but CNN's exit polls showed a much bigger margin for "yes" among protestants than among Catholics. And blacks will have voted as much for it as latinos, if not more so ... should we "disallow" black immigration too?

Disregard it. I'm just really, really fucking pissed off at the moment, and I wish there was something I could shoot to make it better, a lingering impulse of a conservative upbringing.

Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Senate looks bad for Democrats:
56+Lieberman is called

however, Franken has lost his lead, and there looks to be a recount that may favour Coleman.
Oregon looks to be turning against the Democrats
Saxby Chambliss is avoiding a runoff, unless the 2 million early votes are counted.

The biggest news is that Stevens appears to be good to keep his seat against Begich.

House: 251 Democrat, 12 Uncalled, 172 Republicans. Most of the uncalled are true tossups.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

The good news:

Exit polls show two-thirds of people 29 or under are in support of gay marriage. People between 30 and 64 are divided, with a slight favouring among disapprove. 65 plus, two thirds are against gay marriage.

That means in 30 years all those bastards will be dying of old age, and suddenly Gay Marriage is supported by about 70% of the populace.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The fuckers claimed that gay marriage would lead to the end of straight marriage. Well, the California constitution's language means we have them by the balls, and it's time to show them that it's actually the exact opposite. Banning gay marriage will lead to the end of straight marriage, instead. And the sooner all 30 million Californians are fornicating in sin, the better.
The way I understand it DoZ, the ban on gay marriage doesn't invalidate the marriages that have already taken place, just doesn't allow for new ones. I am all for your suggestion of banning all future marriage in the state until this idiotic prop is completely erased from our collective memories.

On a personal note, I offer my apologies that my state is doing you and the other people on this board, as well as my own personal friends, who are gay and lesbian such an injustice. I wish there was more I could do.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and drink the tears of all the conservatives over on Spacebattles crying their hearts out...
Be sure to drink some for me, since I only browse the fan fiction section on SB.com these days.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

Congratulations, America!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

havokeff wrote: On a personal note, I offer my apologies that my state is doing you and the other people on this board, as well as my own personal friends, who are gay and lesbian such an injustice. I wish there was more I could do.
Seconded.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Latest Development- 66% of the votes in Portland were accidentally not counted, so counting is now going on. People appear confident that Merkley will win the Democrats' 58th senate seat including the 2 independents, but it will likely take at least until the end of this Wednesday along with the final status of the House and the other races to be released.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

So that means Chambliss is the main point of contention, and a recount with Franken?