US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by Patrick Degan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Vympel wrote:McCain's crowd were ugly, weren't they?
Their behavior was a predictable response, I believe, for a group of people raised in ignorance, result in fear, nutured by politicians who will do anything to win.
You witnessed, in fact, defeated Confederates.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

It is just another reminder of how far we really have to go as a society and a race, black President or no.
What does race have to do with it?
A great deal, but not the way TRR seemed to be saying.

CNN

Total
Yes
No

White (63%)
47%
53%

African-American (10%)
70%
30%

Latino (19%)
51%
49%

Asian (6%)
47%
53%

Other (3%)
50%
50%
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Time to go down some of those Hard Pear Ciders I've gotten placed in strategic places.

You know what? I know this is a bummer for McCain, but I actually think it will be good for him. Fighting for the Presidency corrupted McCain, in many ways; it took a man who was chummy with the press and who could actually do the smart thing once in a while (his immigration bill was a good example of that), and squeezed him into a Bush-sized straight jacket.

Palin, now - she'll be back in 2012, mark my words.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:I'm sorry folks. I cannot join you all in celebration. Or at least yet. While Obama winning is certainly good news indeed, slowly watching my civil right being taken away is too heart breaking for me to bear.
*hugs*

exit polls are a bit more promising...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:I'm sorry folks. I cannot join you all in celebration. Or at least yet. While Obama winning is certainly good news indeed, slowly watching my civil right being taken away is too heart breaking for me to bear.
*hugs*

Stand firm and never lose hope. The day of your justice is coming. For now, you must endure until it finally does so. But believe that it will come.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It is just another reminder of how far we really have to go as a society and a race, black President or no.
Not a question of race. It is a question of acceptance and tolerance. My point was that even though we have made incredible strides to overcome racism, we still segregate citizens that we deem not equal.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

havokeff wrote:
Not a question of race. It is a question of acceptance and tolerance. My point was that even though we have made incredible strides to overcome racism, we still segregate citizens that we deem not equal.
The way you said it, "how far we really have to go... as a race", implied that opposition to gay marriage was more common in a particular race. While that might be true, its not the kind of assertion I take with out proof, so I thought I'd clarify that. If I missunderstood your point, I'm sorry.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
*hugs*

Think of the satisfaction, though, if some of those smarmy assholes pass this, think they've put down The Gay Agenda :roll: - only to watch the California Supreme Court say, "Sorry, this was an existing right - 66% required, bitches."

That said, I'd much prefer it if it just failed to pass. Keep in mind that if it fails to pass this year, there's no guarantee that they won't try to pass it again next year, although they won't have the momentum.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Patrick Degan wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
*hugs*

Stand firm and never lose hope. The day of your justice is coming. For now, you must endure until it finally does so. But believe that it will come.
If I might say so, I think that if Obama's victory proves one thing, it is that justice can perserveer over ignorance and hate.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Time to go down some of those Hard Pear Ciders I've gotten placed in strategic places.

You know what? I know this is a bummer for McCain, but I actually think it will be good for him. Fighting for the Presidency corrupted McCain, in many ways; it took a man who was chummy with the press and who could actually do the smart thing once in a while (his immigration bill was a good example of that), and squeezed him into a Bush-sized straight jacket.
It is a shame. His time was in 2000, when he should have beaten Bush. Having to cowtow the way he did this time around, it is like he lost his "soul" for one last shot. I think he would have been a good President in another time, but it just wasn't his time.
Palin, now - she'll be back in 2012, mark my words.
You think so? I don't. I think she is Dan Quayle. A punch line. In 2016, when I think this current Presidency will end, she will have Hillary Clinton to contend with if she does try, and she will rip her a new fucking asshole. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
*hugs*

Thank you both for your words of encouragement. I will never forget those who were with us during our hardest times. The fight will not be over and I assure you that I will keep fighting. For now, I have to come to grips with the reality of the present situation.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

havokeff wrote:
The way you said it, "how far we really have to go... as a race", implied that opposition to gay marriage was more common in a particular race. While that might be true, its not the kind of assertion I take with out proof, so I thought I'd clarify that. If I missunderstood your point, I'm sorry.
Sorry. Should have said "human race", which was what I meant.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

On a related and lesser known note, Arkansas passed, 57 - 43, a measure that would ban Gay couples from adopting children.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yogi wrote:On a related and lesser known note, Arkansas passed, 57 - 43, a measure that would ban Gay couples from adopting children.
Yeah.. I mentioned Arkansas. Side note about that prop, is that it bans unmarried straight couples from adopting as well.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Mr. Sinister
Padawan Learner

Post by Mr. Sinister »

Looks like Red's going to have to eat his socks too. MSNBC is calling Indiana for Obama. :D
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Indiana and North Carolina were just called for Obama on CNN.
Diocletian had the right idea.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah.. I mentioned Arkansas. Side note about that prop, is that it bans unmarried straight couples from adopting as well.
How will that fair if it winds up before the Supreme Court, I wonder?

Of course, the court may have a couple Obama appointees by then.

sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Think of the satisfaction, though, if some of those smarmy assholes pass this, think they've put down The Gay Agenda :roll: - only to watch the California Supreme Court say, "Sorry, this was an existing right - 66% required, bitches."
The schadenfreude would be lovely, but it would give them more ammunition for this "activist judges" meme they've got going: "The People have spoken, but the courts keep oppressing us!"

It's much better to vote Prop 8 down. That would make the beatdown complete, and all we'd be hearing for a few days would be lamentations of their women.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
NecronLord wrote:So... congratulations Americans. One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Like fuck it is.

With Liberty and Justice for all but those feces-slurping queers, you mean. Fuck them.

I have never been more furious in my life than to see 15% of California voters decide that chickens and pigs have more intrinsic value than gay people.
What? I think I missed something... :?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Prop 8 now at
52% yes
48% no
43% reporting
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

A county break down of prop 8 can be found here.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ryan Thunder wrote: What? I think I missed something... :?
One of California's other issues on the ballot is a proposition to improve conditions for animals on farms, and I share Duchess' analysis.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

No shock that Orange County is leaning heavily towards "Yes" these people down here are the most willfully ignorant and shameless group of supporters I have ever seen. It quite literally makes me sick to my stomach when they cut away on the news to these events being held being attended largely by families, with these children running around not knowing what the hell it is they are being involved in.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

I'm looking at CNN's county results (thanks Kernel for the suggestion). CNN hasn't called Indiana or North Carolina for Obama yet, but I think it's safe to say that at least North Carolina is done. All the precincts have reported. And I'll trust MSNBC on Indiana as well. That means only Missouri and Montana are up in the air.

In Missouri, McCain is leading by basically nothing (literally about 400 votes). The problem is, the few precincts that are not reporting are in Christian and Dunklin counties, which are heavily red. For a while there were a few Jackson County (Kansas City) precincts that weren't reporting, and I was hoping they could tip the balance, but Jackson County is all in now. Missouri is obviously too close to call, but I'm a little bit pessimistic.

And in Montana, McCain is up by 3%, which only amounts to about 8,000 votes right now. It could go either way, since there are some red counties and some blue counties that haven't reported all their precincts yet.

Of course, I know it really doesn't matter what the electoral count is, but I don't just want Obama to win. I want wailing and gnashing of teeth. We already broke my personal threshold for "landslide" this year: 350 electoral votes. But I'd like to make the Republicans hurt more.
One of California's other issues on the ballot is a proposition to improve conditions for animals on farms, and I share Duchess' analysis.
You do? I'm all in favor of gay rights, but I think the analysis is more like hyperbole. Prop 8 is about being allowed to marry. Prop 2 was about being allowed to stand up and turn around.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

You don't eat other people either. The point is you have folks feeling sorry for the 'Poor widdle animals' while denying basic rights to their fellow HUMAN BEINGS. I'm not a completely heartless bastard, but humans come first. Period flat.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link