US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by sketerpot »

If Prop 8 passes, the issue becomes this: is it an addition to the constitution or a revision to the constitution? The courts will decide this one, and if they say that Prop 8 conflicts with something that was in the constitution, then it needs a supermajority to pass -- which it will not get.

This isn't over yet.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Just spoke to my friend working the Obama office in Denver. When Jesse Jackson appeared in the crowd at Obama's speech, Mac said, "Guess you don't want to cut off his nuts now, do you?" To the delight and laughter of a room 500 strong! :lol:

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

The music was from Remember the Titans. I thought that was a beautiful choice.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Hal Bidlack lost pretty bad in Colorado. I was kinda hoping for him but he was running square in the middle of the largest most powerful concentration of fundies in the US. His loss and Prop 8, this fucking sucks. At least Dole got what was coming to her. Don't let the door hit you on the way out bitch.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

22% reporting
Prop 8:
54%-Yes
46%-No
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I am very glad that my state of Colorado did not embarrass itself too badly. Went for Obama, and I believe someone posted regarding the failliur of the "life begins at conception" prop? I certainly hope so.

Anyone know how the Senate race turned out? I voted for the Dem for Senator, and for the Congressional rep for Boulder Co. I'll have to go run a google search to see if they won.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

NecronLord wrote:So... congratulations Americans. One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Like fuck it is.

With Liberty and Justice for all but those feces-slurping queers, you mean. Fuck them.

I have never been more furious in my life than to see 15% of California voters decide that chickens and pigs have more intrinsic value than gay people.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Akumz Razor
Youngling

Post by Akumz Razor »

CarsonPalmer wrote:The music was from Remember the Titans. I thought that was a beautiful choice.
McCain's concession music was the them from Gladiator :lol:
The simplest solution takes the shortest time to write down.

"My homies!" - Shatner

"The women!!" - Spock

"He's no better than Shatner!" - Phil Hartman as Bill Clinton re: Leonard Nimoy

-cinemaphotography-
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

A man can only ask himself two good questions in life: Why am I here? and What next?

So what next?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Quetzalcoatl
Youngling

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I think this belongs in the famous threads subforum.
"Maybe next time a girl touches his scrote he won't jump and run away."
"Well Quetz doesn't seem like a complete desperate loser, and seems like an OK guy... almost to the point of being a try hard OK guy IMO "How dare you fondle my jewels young lady!"

-Sanchez and Havok, on my problems with women
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

Lord Poe wrote:
apocolypse wrote:You know, I was really hoping that the sweet sweet icing on the top of an Obama cake would be the denial of Prop 8, but it's not looking as likely. Normally I'm all in favor of letting the people decide, but it's times like these that I'm reminded that the "people" are stupid and spend too much time wanking over the bible (Central Valleys and Orange County, I'm looking at you) and legislation is probably the only way.

It's really fucking sad.
It's sad that it wasn't defeated by vote. But there is no way in hell it will be implemented. Again, recall Prop 187.
You know, that is true. I forgot about 187. Thanks for giving the Californians here a bit of hope. :)
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I've spent the last eight years being ashamed of my country. I don't have to be anymore.

And to everyone fretting about Prop 8, the early returns always come from the small towns, and exit polls are showing Prop 8 failing by a margin of 4 points. I wouldn't start worrying until LA and San Francisco have had their say.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ender wrote:A man can only ask himself two good questions in life: Why am I here? and What next?

So what next?
Transition of power and appointing a cabinate?

Personally I hope Obama lives up to his implication that he would offer his primary rivals possisions. I especially want to see Bill Richardson as Secretary of State.

Longer term, encouraging moderate Republicans through cooperation, putting in Supreme Court Justices who respect the Constitution and secular government, getting off fossil fuels, stopping and reversing the economic crash, giving health care to everyone, and resolving the Iraq clusterfuck.

Quite the tall order. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

And not to continue beating what may be a dying horse, but on the plus side 22 passed by almost 62% whereas this one (assuming the numbers stay the same) is passing with 8% less.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
NecronLord wrote:So... congratulations Americans. One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Like fuck it is.

With Liberty and Justice for all but those feces-slurping queers, you mean. Fuck them.

I have never been more furious in my life than to see 15% of California voters decide that chickens and pigs have more intrinsic value than gay people.
You aren't the only one.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

In living memory, we have seen Black people go from NO VOTE to the Presidency. When Barack Obama was born, his very existence, as a product of an inter-racial relationship was illegal in some states. In a couple of instances (one of which he mentioned on stage), we have the 100+ year-old daughters of men who were slaves, men who were owned as property, see a Black man running the country.

Now, a Black man stands as the President not of some backwater African nation, but the leader of the most powerful democracy in history. Up until now, the most powerful Black leaders led nations like South Africa and Egypt.

He came from a single mother household, not born into wealth or power, but from simple, humble beginnings. Yes, you can, become President.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Like fuck it is.

Only the votes from the very conservative Inland Empire have been counted thus far. Give San Fran and LA time to tally up.

It would be disingenuous to see the state that legalized gay marrige turn around eight months later and alter their constitution to ban same. There was enough support to get it done in the first place, after all.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: Like fuck it is.

Mmm.

Just like the election of Kennedy was supposed to show liberty and justice for all with the election of a Catholic while black people had to sit at the back of the bus and drink from the coloured fountains, the election of Obama shows the notion of liberty and justice for all while homosexuals have their rights continually attacked and eroded.

Not that I don't want to revel in this Obama victory a little.
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

apocolypse wrote:
Lord Poe wrote:
apocolypse wrote:You know, I was really hoping that the sweet sweet icing on the top of an Obama cake would be the denial of Prop 8, but it's not looking as likely. Normally I'm all in favor of letting the people decide, but it's times like these that I'm reminded that the "people" are stupid and spend too much time wanking over the bible (Central Valleys and Orange County, I'm looking at you) and legislation is probably the only way.

It's really fucking sad.
It's sad that it wasn't defeated by vote. But there is no way in hell it will be implemented. Again, recall Prop 187.
You know, that is true. I forgot about 187. Thanks for giving the Californians here a bit of hope. :)
No one believes this will stay on the books for long. That isn't the point. The point is that a State... California is saying Gay people are SUB STANDARD. Yes the Courts will overturn it. Great. There are 100 people that don't have some sort of hatred towards gay people. I'm sure that makes a lot of my friends feel great. It is just another reminder of how far we really have to go as a society and a race, black President or no.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

If you're brilliant and more charismatic than any person in recent memory. The black GWB will never be president. Now we just need to make the white guy selection process equally as stringent.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Elfdart wrote:
Shinova wrote:
Kodiak wrote:Prop 8 is holding fairly steady at
55% - Yes
45% - No
Nooo!! This is California!! It's the land of UC Berkeley, San Francisco and the crazy, homophile liberals and hippies!! What has happened to it!?!? :cry:
On the plus side, now I have a better chance of marrying Rachel Maddow.
The hell you do. Prop 8 is going to fail and I'm going to marry Rachel Maddow. :D Seriously, we shouldn't freak out just yet. I don't think the big cities are in.

I'm trying to get on the official California election results website to track Prop 8. It seems to be overwhelmed with traffic. I'm also watching the Minnesota and Oregon senate election results, which also seem to be very close.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

What a kickass night. And to think that a little over three months ago I got to shake the hand of the future commander and chief. That's right, who wants to touch me now?

Well it's late and I gotta get to bed. But before I do I shall celebrate this joyous and historic night with the ceremonial adding of chocolate to milk.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Metatwaddle wrote: On the plus side, now I have a better chance of marrying Rachel Maddow.
The hell you do. Prop 8 is going to fail and I'm going to marry Rachel Maddow. :D Seriously, we shouldn't freak out just yet. I don't think the big cities are in.

I'm trying to get on the official California election results website to track Prop 8. It seems to be overwhelmed with traffic. I'm also watching the Minnesota and Oregon senate election results, which also seem to be very close.[/quote]

Look at the county breakdown on CNN. They show all the large population counties are still being tabulated with places like Alameda, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Napa, etc, all still waiting to be counted. There is no reason to panic...yet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

We can hope. I did my part in Alameda.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It is just another reminder of how far we really have to go as a society and a race, black President or no.
What does race have to do with it?