US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by apocolypse »

Coyote wrote:Now, a Black man stands as the President not of some backwater African nation, but the leader of the most powerful democracy in history. Up until now, the most powerful Black leaders led nations like South Africa and Egypt.
You know, I never thought about that. I thought there would have been someone in one of the European nations, but I can't recall anybody.
havokeff wrote:No one believes this will stay on the books for long. That isn't the point. The point is that a State... California is saying Gay people are SUB STANDARD. Yes the Courts will overturn it. Great. There are 100 people that don't have some sort of hatred towards gay people. I'm sure that makes a lot of my friends feel great. It is just another reminder of how far we really have to go as a society and a race, black President or no.
I personally thought they would have found a way to make it stick myself. As far as the latter point, there's still a measurable amount of animosity even in more liberal states such as CA. The cities are usually pretty good, but there are still the big ass stretches of valleys that have nothing but cows and farms.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I am very glad that my state of Colorado did not embarrass itself too badly. Went for Obama, and I believe someone posted regarding the failliur of the "life begins at conception" prop? I certainly hope so.

Anyone know how the Senate race turned out? I voted for the Dem for Senator, and for the Congressional rep for Boulder Co. I'll have to go run a google search to see if they won.
Udall (D) got into the Senate pretty solidly.

Betsy Markey (D) managed to finally get rid of Marilyn Musgrave, a long-time cockroach of a Rep who crawled out from under her refrigerator every year or two to bash gays or co-sponsor a ban-flag-burning bill.

The anti-affirmative action amendment and anti-union amendment both appear to have been narrowly defeated, but they're close enough that you should wait for all results.

The oil-tax (severance) was defeated, but since oil is down so sharply that might not be so terrible for now.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

And because it's still hitting me that Obama's won and because I can't resist:

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And even if California rights the ship... There is still Arizona, Florida and Arkansas telling Gay people that they are not equal to anyone else. It really just isn't fucking fair.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

JME2 wrote:And because it's still hitting me that Obama's won and because I can't resist:

You notice Ross signed the HELL out of that painting! :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Wicked Pilot wrote:What a kickass night. And to think that a little over three months ago I got to shake the hand of the future commander and chief. That's right, who wants to touch me now?

Well it's late and I gotta get to bed. But before I do I shall celebrate this joyous and historic night with the ceremonial adding of chocolate to milk.
Does your hand that touched him now heal blindness and leprosy?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Earlier in the year (or was it last year) Australia's prime minister (at that time) John Howard took a swipe at Obama with some bullshit line that Al Quaida were just waiting for an Obama presidency. Now that Howard has not only lost the election, and his seat, and been mocked by a "leftist" comedy show and slammed by his former backstabbing treasurer, all we need now is for Obama to fire back at Howard now that he won.

And I want that Alex Ross picture of Obama in a superhero pose. :P
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Coyote wrote:In living memory, we have seen Black people go from NO VOTE to the Presidency. When Barack Obama was born, his very existence, as a product of an inter-racial relationship was illegal in some states. In a couple of instances (one of which he mentioned on stage), we have the 100+ year-old daughters of men who were slaves, men who were owned as property, see a Black man running the country.

Now, a Black man stands as the President not of some backwater African nation, but the leader of the most powerful democracy in history. Up until now, the most powerful Black leaders led nations like South Africa and Egypt.

He came from a single mother household, not born into wealth or power, but from simple, humble beginnings. Yes, you can, become President.
It's also important to note that Obama wasn't elected because whitey wanted to give a black guy a chance. He was elected because he is the best man for the job. And before the party crashers barge into this thread, no one is saying America has eliminated racism. But we're the only first world democracy that has elected a man of color to run a country, and it only took us 232 years.
Masami von Weizegger wrote:Just like the election of Kennedy was supposed to show liberty and justice for all with the election of a Catholic while black people had to sit at the back of the bus and drink from the coloured fountains, the election of Obama shows the notion of liberty and justice for all while homosexuals have their rights continually attacked and eroded.
Homosexual rights aren't going anywhere. As noted above, give us a little time. Hate and prejudice will never be eliminated altogether, but it can be beat back and relegated to a dark little corner. Homosexuality is a hard subject for religious zealots to accept, even above a black man being President. That kind of bigotry supercedes the color barrier, so it's going to take longer to defeat.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

havokeff wrote:
JME2 wrote:And because it's still hitting me that Obama's won and because I can't resist:

You notice Ross signed the HELL out of that painting! :D
Not too surprising given that this is the man who gave us these classic gems:

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Well, right now, I am settling back and enjoying a snifter of E&J Brandy (pity it can't be the what-would-have-been 16 yr. old scotch I lost to the New Orleans flood), and watching the massive celebrations on the streets of Washington D.C. —where nearly eight years ago nearly broke out in ugly riots along the motorcade path as His Fradulency, George Bush, was driven toward Capitol Hill to claim the office that Daddy's friends on the Supreme Court stole for him.

I am celebrating the fact that, for only the second time since I cast my first vote in a national election, I had someone I could genuinely, positively vote for and not simply out of defence or fear of the alternative or for a protest. I voted Obama proudly, with full confidence that he would be the right man for this time, and now see history unfold in ways a lot of people thought they'd never see in their lifetime. I have seen the man who is the true heir of Lincoln take the stage as president-elect, who —facing massive challenges at home and abroad— is determined to be equal to the task before him.

So I take my first drink to toast the man who rightly, richly deserves to have won this election, and toast the fact that, after eight long years, there is at last a president I can respect and even be proud of.

The brandy has a fine scent. The scent of victory.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm drinking bacon vodka. I do it during all important occasions.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm saving my celebratory drink and dinner for the weekend; 'tis a school night, after all and I've no liquor left in the pantry... :wink: 8)
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

JME2 wrote:*snip images*
So that's who did that image of Bush and Cheney. I always wondered.

As for victory drinks, drink up, me hearties, yo ho!
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

JME2 wrote:I'm saving my celebratory drink and dinner for the weekend; 'tis a school night, after all and I've no liquor left in the pantry... :wink: 8)
Ammendum -- I've no alcohol, but I'm kicking back and playing "The Raiders' March" at full blast on my stereo in celebration whilst anxiously awaiting the results of prop 8.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Its late here, and I have classes tomorrow, so I may not be able to stay up to see prop. 8 come to its conclusion. Hope it works out once the more liberal cities have been counted. Just one more defeat to pile on the shattered wreakage of Bush era politics.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

60% of San Fran is reported, 30% of the state, and it's still at 53-47. Can we be worried yet for Prop 8?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I will have a victory drink when I can afford to buy alcohol again. When morning comes I'll still need more income, but the difference is that now I'm a hell of a lot more hopeful about getting it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

McCain's crowd were ugly, weren't they?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

MRDOD wrote:60% of San Fran is reported, 30% of the state, and it's still at 53-47. Can we be worried yet for Prop 8?
About the prop? No. It isn't going to stick. About what it says about our state and how it effects people we care about? Yes.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Vympel wrote:McCain's crowd were ugly, weren't they?
Their behavior was a predictable response, I believe, for a group of people raised in ignorance, result in fear, nutured by politicians who will do anything to win.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

I'm so holding out hope Alaska goes blue. 8)

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

I'm sorry folks. I cannot join you all in celebration. Or at least yet. While Obama winning is certainly good news indeed, slowly watching my civil right being taken away is too heart breaking for me to bear.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Pretty bad. A few people think that they heard the N word from crowd members. They booed every time they heard Obama's name.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, I'm calling it a night -- here's to hoping I wake up to find Prop 8 has failed..
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:I'm sorry folks. I cannot join you all in celebration. Or at least yet. While Obama winning is certainly good news indeed, slowly watching my civil right being taken away is too heart breaking for me to bear.
At least with Obama in, we'll be assured of a Supreme Court which won't interperate such issues along Biblical guidelines.