Does McCain already have the Election won?

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Does McCain already have the Election won?

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The more i look at the papers and online, the more scarred I am.
Lets consider...

With the oppontment of Palin, McCain has locked up the vote of virtually ever last conservative in the country... People who a few weeks ago told me angrily that they would never think of voting McCain are now gushing over themselves about how much they are looking forward to voting for Palin... Across the web, ever last Conservative and Christian fundi who might, just MIGHT have stayed home is now bound and determined to turn out to vote.

That alone has given McCain a MASSIVE boost in the polls across the nation.. Combine this with the small but growing amount of Hillary supporters who are fanning the flames of angry women to vote for Palin just to spite Obama.

At this point, a 49% Obama 51%McCain outcome is looking more and more likely... Unless something changes, does Obama stand a statistical chance of winning against the overwhelming Stupidity of your average bumfuck AMerican?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

This is the second time in less than two months McCaine has pulled ahead of Obama. The poll numbers have been changing at the drop of a hat.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: Does McCain already have the Election won?

Post by Stormbringer »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:The more i look at the papers and online, the more scarred I am.
Damn serrated newsprint.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:With the oppontment of Palin, McCain has locked up the vote of virtually ever last conservative in the country.
For the moment he's locked up the social conservatives. He's still not genuinely popular with them and simply because he announced his continued intention to suckle at the "party base" teat doesn't change that. I wouldn't count on that particular honeymoon last and if he does more to shore that up, he's at pretty high risk of alienating the portion of America that don't want another four years of this mess.
Crossroads Inc. wrote: That alone has given McCain a MASSIVE boost in the polls across the nation.

Do you actually have solid polls to back that? Has there been a continuing trend for McCain?

I wouldn't be surprised if McCain has gained a boost out of all this but he's gotten a head a couple times now and blown it. What matters is the long term trend and that's been generally for the Democrats.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

The latest polls are not necessarily accurate because they were conducted immediately following the Republican National Convention, so they represent the absolute peak of their post-convention bump, while the Democratic convention bump has had time to fade. There's no reason to panic just yet.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Superman

Post by Superman »

The inevitable discovery or Sarah Palin's sex tape could happen at any time as well. That might change some numbers.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Now I think I understand Democrats in the US. They see a convention bounce, perhaps the definition of ephermal and brief, a freak the fuck out.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Superman wrote:The inevitable discovery or Sarah Palin's sex tape could happen at any time as well. That might change some numbers.
Yes, even more overwhelmingly in her favor :lol:
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

SirNitram wrote:Now I think I understand Democrats in the US. They see a convention bounce, perhaps the definition of ephermal and brief, a freak the fuck out.
Well, it is not that all our eggs (or at least mine) are in one basket or anything. Nitram, I have to vote on my civil rights, again, this year.

Frankly I am getting tired. I am 22 and tired... it isnt right.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Put it in perspective. These are conservatives-- people who were never going to vote for Obama in the first place.

Adding Palin to the ticket means one thing: people who were originally going to hold their nose and vote for McCain with a frown are now going to skip to the election booth and vote for McCain with a smile instead.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Coyote wrote:
Adding Palin to the ticket means one thing: people who were originally going to hold their nose and vote for McCain with a frown are now going to skip to the election booth and vote for McCain with a smile instead.
No, it means people that support the GOP but would have said, "eh, fuck it." and not have voted, might now vote.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

SirNitram wrote:Now I think I understand Democrats in the US. They see a convention bounce, perhaps the definition of ephermal and brief, a freak the fuck out.
You are absolutely correct you know... The modern Democrat has no spine, for over 10years we;ve been consisantly and totally beaten down. Can you blame us for cowerering ast the first bit of bad news?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
You are absolutely correct you know... The modern Democrat has no spine, for over 10years we;ve been consisantly and totally beaten down. Can you blame us for cowerering ast the first bit of bad news?
Yes, I can. If you've got even a bit of pride, of interest in doing anything but standing here and losing some more, the response to a bounce is to shrug it off and focus on the real issues at hand, primarily trying to keep people registered given the early start on purges.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Well, it is not that all our eggs (or at least mine) are in one basket or anything. Nitram, I have to vote on my civil rights, again, this year.

Use the brain you supposedly evolved and realize bounces are brief and ephermal.

Fuck, stop obsessing over national polling and look at the state polling.

You know, that mechanism which actually decides who wins? Ever heard of it?

Link Pollster.com puts Obama at 243 safe electoral votes, McCain with 179. Yes, Obama appears to have a natural lead of over 60 EV's, with 116 up for grabs.

Superman

Post by Superman »

Kodiak wrote:
Superman wrote:The inevitable discovery or Sarah Palin's sex tape could happen at any time as well. That might change some numbers.
Oh, I agree.

Ok, I got one. John McCaine throws a fit at some public speaking event and loses his temper. He's definitely had high profile blow ups in the past; I'd love to see Obama start to press some of his buttons and watch him explode. :)
Cairber
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cairber »

I just saw on TV that the latest ras polls have Obama and McCain tied in FLORIDA, which is a big move by Obama (he was, I guess, down by 3-4 points the last time they polled the state). And this poll was taken completely after the RNC. If McCain loses Florida, he is fucked, whether or not he gets Ohio.

So I am feeling really good right now despite the national numbers.
Say NO to circumcision IT'S A BOY! This is a great link to show expecting parents.

I boycott Nestle; ask me why!
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Superman wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Oh, I agree.

Ok, I got one. John McCaine throws a fit at some public speaking event and loses his temper. He's definitely had high profile blow ups in the past; I'd love to see Obama start to press some of his buttons and watch him explode. :)
I, for one, am eagerly awaiting the debates. I'm excited to see a debate in HD, and i'll get to see how many shades of red McCain can turn.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Superman

Post by Superman »

I would bet that this surge in poll numbers McCaine received from his Palin announcement has peaked. Palin may have secured his votes with the religious tards, but I think lots of people still in the "undecided" category will see how extreme she is in her views and run for the Dems. McCaine's a fossil after all, and the odds of Palin becoming president might be a little higher than what we've had in recent years.

Anyway, you can probably count on seeing McCaine's numbers start to drop. He got his poll surge, and it won't be coming back (unless someone finds a video of Obama praying to Allah or something).
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

It's a Palin-McCain ticket to all those people. :P And she's just VP for goodness' sakes.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

SirNitram wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:

Use the brain you supposedly evolved and realize bounces are brief and ephermal.

Fuck, stop obsessing over national polling and look at the state polling.

You know, that mechanism which actually decides who wins? Ever heard of it?

Link Pollster.com puts Obama at 243 safe electoral votes, McCain with 179. Yes, Obama appears to have a natural lead of over 60 EV's, with 116 up for grabs.
It isnt so much even the polling. I just dont have any faith in the american people anymore. None. It isnt there. I have tried so hard to scrounge up even tiny bits of it, and I cant do it anymore.

My mom's friends for example, apparently love Dr. Blight, and so does my own mother (not that my mom has a decent IQ or anything)

THis is not me freaking out. This is me exhibiting systemic pessimism.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Shinova wrote:It's a Palin-McCain ticket to all those people. :P And she's just VP for goodness' sakes.
Except McCain is like my grandfather. he refuses to die and is living on borrowed time. Eventually bubble will burst like the housing market and we dont know when that is going to happen.

tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I can see why the dems are running for the safe room when you say it out loud: President Sarah Palin.

Christ, sometimes you have to wonder if the entire world should be allowed to vote in U.S presidential elections on the basis that a.) obviously, the position is that powerful and b.) we have all that election bullshit on our news.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Superman

Post by Superman »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:It isnt so much even the polling. I just dont have any faith in the american people anymore. None. It isnt there. I have tried so hard to scrounge up even tiny bits of it, and I cant do it anymore.

My mom's friends for example, apparently love Dr. Blight, and so does my own mother (not that my mom has a decent IQ or anything)

THis is not me freaking out. This is me exhibiting systemic pessimism.
Well, at least you're not bitter or anything.

I'm probably not the most optimistic when it comes to politics either, but I wouldn't say I've given up. One of the biggest problems I have with politics is our current two party system. Unless you're a democrat or republican, it's almost as if you don't count. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the original idea, and it's too bad we seem to be stuck with it. Anyway, I don't want to play along, so I registered as an independent. I plan on staying that way.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

tim31 wrote:I can see why the dems are running for the safe room when you say it out loud: President Sarah Palin.

Christ, sometimes you have to wonder if the entire world should be allowed to vote in U.S presidential elections on the basis that a.) obviously, the position is that powerful and b.) we have all that election bullshit on our news.
I wonder if her becoming president would allow me to seek Asylum in canada or Germany...

Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

As I've been saying for months, I have the utmost confidence in Obama, but I have zero confidence in the American voter. They are collectively a pack of mindless idiots, despite the smarter standouts in their midst.

This election will be determined by the question of whether peoples' fatigue with 8 years of Bush misrule is greater than the combined sum of their bigotry, because that's the core appeal of the McCain-Palin ticket: "We hate the same people you do". It's not about building anything or accomplishing anything or improving anything; it's about them promising that they will hate the same people and things that "real Americans" do, and that they will do everything in their power to harm those people and things.

It's all about the hatred: their policy on sex education is based on their hatred of promiscuous people and their desire to punish them for their pleasure by keeping them ignorant of birth control so that they will get pregnant. Their policy on abortion is based on the exact same hatred, and the exact same goal: forcing sexually promiscuous people to have children. Their foreign policy is based on showing the American people how much they hate the enemy, whoever he may be this week. Maybe the towelheads, maybe the Russkies, maybe the gooks, who knows? Whoever it is, they'll promise to hate them more than the Democrats will. And what about crime? Same thing: they promise to hate the criminal more than the Democrat will. Who cares whether their policies will actually solve anything, or whether they might even make things worse? They're based on hatred of criminals, and that's what really matters: that they hate the same things we do. And then there's the economy, and guess what: that's a hate-based policy too. Their entire economic policy is about making sure that "undeserving" poor are not permitted to live in any state better than what they deserve, which is misery. Sure, not all of them are welfare bums and cheats, but some of them are, and we need to punish those people, because we hate them.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Justforfun000
Sith Devotee

Post by Justforfun000 »

Fuck the polls. Don't pay attention to the transitory opinions. It's a long way to go yet and even though relative places of sanity like Canada are watching with a fairly sure feeling that Obama simply HAS to win...it's still a horse race. The important thing is not to pay attention to the tides, it's to get in there are actually INFLUENCE them. If I were American, I would be doing every imaginable thing I culd to motivate democratic voters and on top of that undermining the conservative ones by showing them how flawed their party is at this stage of the game.

Don't be complacent. Don't watch from the sidelines. Surely to goodness there are enough people in the United States that can form a majority that says OBAMA is change, McCain is just Bush continued.

Fight! Don't watch. I've never quite forgiven the American Democrats as a whole for allowing that idiot back in for a second term. Thank the heavens they had the sense to shake up the Senate and the House of Representatives towards their favour at least.
You have to realize that most Christian "moral values" behaviour is not really about "protecting" anyone; it's about their desire to send a continual stream of messages of condemnation towards people whose existence offends them. - Darth Wong alias Mike Wong

"There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. However, there is something very wrong with not choosing to exchange ignorance for knowledge when the opportunity presents itself."