US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

Duckie
Sith Marauder

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by Duckie »

According to MSNBC, Prop 8 holding steady at 55 for, 45 against. No ballots from San Fransisco cast yet. 12% of state accounted for.
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:
Kodiak wrote:Prop 8 is holding fairly steady at
55% - Yes
45% - No
Not a surprise. My state passed the basically identical Prop 22 about a decade ago, and not much has changed since. Let's hope it doesn't take the supreme court so long to overturn it this time.
You know, I was really hoping that the sweet sweet icing on the top of an Obama cake would be the denial of Prop 8, but it's not looking as likely. Normally I'm all in favor of letting the people decide, but it's times like these that I'm reminded that the "people" are stupid and spend too much time wanking over the bible (Central Valleys and Orange County, I'm looking at you) and legislation is probably the only way.

It's really fucking sad.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
LMSx wrote:Holy shit.

We'll have competent people running this country.
Now we get to find out what horrors under the surface are laid bare when we drain the lake...
A Kracken and the dead trunk of two massive holly trees?
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

The Confederates will actually be happier as the opposition, anyhow. See? Everyone wins!
Strider
Youngling

Post by Strider »

A 60 seat Senate may be more plausible that it appears. Georgia apparently is counting the votes up funky, and either just started counting the early votes in this last 10%, or STILL has not counted them. Chambliss' lead started disintegrating like dust on the wind just now though, I think when the vote went from 88% precincts to 93% his share went from 55.5% to 52.1%. If we can get Chambliss under 50% and force a runoff, we can parachute in Obama ground crews into Georgia like the GOP parachuted in lawyers for Florida in 2000.
“I can kill demons. I can crash cars. Things are looking up!”
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The 44th President of the United States of America:

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

I hate being such a cynic. I want to believe in that speech, but I just can't help but expect that nothing will really change, the republicans still have too much power, the Vast Right Wing Propaganda Machine is still going strong, the margin of victory was still too slim, the right wing part of the population is too angry, afraid, and loud, and nothing important will get accomplished. Four years from now we won't have universal healthcare, we won't have a healthy economy, the corporate power will still own the government, and we won't be much better off than we are now. I almost fear that the Democrats for McCain folks are right, and the there will be a republican resurgence.

I hope to hell I'm wrong, but I just don't have even a scruple of hope in my heart.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Ayrix wrote:oh and I just heard on NPR that prop 8 is:

yes- 44%
no- 46%

maybe I heard it wrong but if its true, things really are looking up.
That's
Yes-54%
No - 46%
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

MRDOD wrote:According to MSNBC, Prop 8 holding steady at 55 for, 45 against. No ballots from San Fransisco cast yet. 12% of state accounted for.
If that's the case, then it's way too soon to come to any conclusion.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Wong wrote:
havokeff wrote:I can't believe California can still be so fucking backwards on this.... :banghead:
Why? When I visited there back in 2004, I noticed there several 24-hour Christian preaching stations on the radio.
Hmm. Yeah, one of aunts' radio dial seems permanently set to such stations.

And the fact that my home-state can still be so backwards, it's just...disconcerting...I know I shouldn't be surprised, shocked, or upset, but I am.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:*sighs in relief*

Well, it's done. More than 147 years after the first shot was fired on Fort Sumter, a man born of Africa has been raised up to the highest office in the nation. Some uneasy ghosts can finally rest.

This means that on the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, we will have a black man as our President. Nothing could be more suitable as a way of celebrating it.
In a park named for the man who swept aside the Army of Northern Virginia, no less.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Johonebesus wrote:I hate being such a cynic. I want to believe in that speech, but I just can't help but expect that nothing will really change, the republicans still have too much power, the Vast Right Wing Propaganda Machine is still going strong, the margin of victory was still too slim, the right wing part of the population is too angry, afraid, and loud, and nothing important will get accomplished. Four years from now we won't have universal healthcare, we won't have a healthy economy, the corporate power will still own the government, and we won't be much better off than we are now. I almost fear that the Democrats for McCain folks are right, and the there will be a republican resurgence.

I hope to hell I'm wrong, but I just don't have even a scruple of hope in my heart.
The fight for proper rights, sensible leadership will never stop. Even when Obama is the president, the fight will continues, and I guess Obama will require the supports of people like you.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ayrix
Youngling

Post by Ayrix »

Kodiak wrote:
Ayrix wrote:oh and I just heard on NPR that prop 8 is:

yes- 44%
no- 46%

maybe I heard it wrong but if its true, things really are looking up.
That's
Yes-54%
No - 46%

yeee-up, I'm an idiot. Shouldn't post when I'm this emotional.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Bounty wrote:Is that Biden's mother on stage?
Yes it is, what an emotional moment!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Well right now we are looking at 338 locked in, 15 more likely from NC, 11 more from IN, 3 from MT, and 11 from MO up in the air. That would be 367 EVs without MO and 378 with, either way woudl be a crushing dfeat of the (R) brand.

The questions up in the air now are:
Senate: Can Franken come back from his current deficit to snag that seat and can Jim martin hold Chambliss under 50% to force a runoff. The former currently looks more likely than the later but it will take both to get to 60.
Governor: Will Gregoire hold on in WA?
Ballot Measures: Prop 8 in Cali now looks to be the firewall against 102 passing in AZ and 2 passing in FL.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Obama's speech was great. It started out as a fairly ordinary acceptance, though he seemed to strike a note that was more genuine. But as he went on, it got better and better. He spoke of his respect for McCain, of working with him and Palin. How hard it must have been, knowing that they stirred up potential violence against him. I don't know that I could have done such a thing. Honest? Who knows. But conciliator, diplomatic, respectful? Absolutely.

And when he spoke of the old woman who'd seen so much during her life, so much struggle and change, it could have been just another insincere bit of political pandering or sappy sentimentalism, but he made it something more. You could see the passion. At times, I thought I saw tears in his eyes as well. This is a man who truly cares for his country and his world.

As for the message, it was mostly spot on. He didn't mince words. He layed out clearly the scope of the challenge before America. He listed the biggest problems, and what our priorities should be. And he had the guts and the honesty to stand their, having won a landslide victory against all odds, having made history, and tell the crowd that this was not change, just, to paraphrase, the chance to bring change. He reminded us that this is not victory, but rather the means to keep fighting to bring the change we need.

And yet, he sought to inspire us. His words about Lincoln were especially apt. He reminded us that however bad things are now, America's been through far worse. And that however bitter this campaign, we've been far more divided, and still come back togeather. Those of us who are filled with bitterness over California's prop. 8 or who wish to gloat like a spoiled brat at the Republican's defeat should take note.

And he spoke very frankly to those who opposed him, telling them that though he had yet to earn their support, that he was still their President, would listen to them, and needed their help. And it didn't seem as pandering as it normally would. It seemed like he might actually mean what he was saying.

I feel silly writing this. My paraphrasings can't capture it, any more than my words can do it justice. It wasn't a perfect speech, but it was more intelligent, insightful, honest, and sincere than what you would expect from a politician's acceptance speech. Classic Obama. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FuncoWilkerbean
Youngling

Post by FuncoWilkerbean »

Of course it would be too perfect if prop 8 failed.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I don't have time to read the thread, but I'm sure there's been some speculation about Indiana. The one county that hasn't yet reported anything is Wayne County, and here are a couple of links about it: stats, website. It apparently has about 70,000 people in it, 75% of whom are eligible to vote. If 2/3 of them voted, then you're looking at 50% of the county voting, or about 35,000. To flip the state would require ...

... not enough: MSNBC has Wayne county reporting with McCain +3%, not enough to flip the state. Indiana officially goes blue for the first time in 44 years!
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

MRDOD wrote:According to MSNBC, Prop 8 holding steady at 55 for, 45 against. No ballots from San Fransisco cast yet. 12% of state accounted for.
Well, I cast a nay in the City by the Bay, so again, we'll see...
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

It's also worth noting that Barack and Michelle are genuinely affectionate towards each other, unlike most politicians. A lack of the usual self-centeredness, perhaps? In any case, it will be a very good air to bring with them to the White House.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I am totally buzzed right now. I just drank down a whole mug filled with coke, whiskey and pineapple rum....

HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE!!!

Oh man... The first black president of the United States... I hope everything goes well. Because you know if the slightest thing goes wrong he'll be blamed for it on almost every news outlet.

I live in Texas and I just heard someone lighting off a bunch of fireworks. I'm really excited about the next 4 (hopefully 8) years.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

So... congratulations Americans. One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Well, most of us here got the President we wanted. :)

The Bush nightmare is coming to an end, and the Republitards have been beaten...for now. There remains a lot of work to be done, and Obama still has to live up to the expectations we have placed on him. But tonight, there is hope.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

apocolypse wrote:You know, I was really hoping that the sweet sweet icing on the top of an Obama cake would be the denial of Prop 8, but it's not looking as likely. Normally I'm all in favor of letting the people decide, but it's times like these that I'm reminded that the "people" are stupid and spend too much time wanking over the bible (Central Valleys and Orange County, I'm looking at you) and legislation is probably the only way.

It's really fucking sad.
It's sad that it wasn't defeated by vote. But there is no way in hell it will be implemented. Again, recall Prop 187.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Elfdart wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:Would that Madelyn Dunham and Studs Terkel could have lived to see this night.
If only Jesse Helms could see Obama win and his state go BLUE!
I'm sure the old fascist is spinning like a dynamo in his grave.

Wonder if it can be harnessed for electricity?
It worked in Dilbert. *shrugs*
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten