[Official Thread] OBAMA WINS RE-ELECTION

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: [Official Thread] OBAMA WINS RE-ELECTION

Post by Borgholio »

Esquire wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
Esquire wrote:Why is it a better idea to have a purely popular vote?
The president should represent the majority of the entire nation, not a handful of battleground states.
The majority of the nation doesn't vote, I'll remind you.
This would give them an incentive to start voting, yes?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Did Romney concede? A few minutes ago Fox News was reporting that "Romney campaign doesn't concede yet" - but now they're just straight out saying Obama has won.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Did Virginia go red again?
JADAFETWA
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

At this point it doesn't matter. Who cares about Virginia.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Channel72 wrote:Did Romney concede? A few minutes ago Fox News was reporting that "Romney campaign doesn't concede yet" - but now they're just straight out saying Obama has won.
Yeah, Fox is already dissecting why he lost.

But presumably Romney needs to concede soon, before he looks like a dick.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Channel72 wrote:Did Romney concede? A few minutes ago Fox News was reporting that "Romney campaign doesn't concede yet" - but now they're just straight out saying Obama has won.
Oh he won allright, but Romney is still refusing to admit it.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Borgholio wrote:
The president should represent the majority of the entire nation, not a handful of battleground states.
Once the West Coast votes are counted Obama will win the popular vote anyways.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

NPR's called VA for Obama, at the least.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Channel72 wrote:At this point it doesn't matter. Who cares about Virginia.
I'm simply curious.
JADAFETWA
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Esquire wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
The majority of the nation doesn't vote, I'll remind you.

Um, I wonder why? I wonder what would fix it, maybe making their vote count?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Borgholio wrote:
Should having 70% support in Texas matter more than having 60% support in some diverse combination of states like, say... Vermont, Hawaii, West Virginia, Iowa, Oregon, Colorado, and Maryland?

I don't think we should assume "he who has the most votes, wins everything" is the best way to run a democracy. The alternatives at least deserve some study.

Think about how parliamentary systems run it: the executive leader of the nation isn't even voted on. They're chosen by the dominant party in the legislature, and appointed from among the legislators. That's been a very successful system in most of the free world- and it's no more 'democratic' a way of choosing a leader than the electoral college is. Arguably less democratic.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Obama just took the lead in the popular vote.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

The idea that two people who live next to each other should have less say in our government than two people who live 500 miles apart seems rather unfounded and a bit terrible to me. Nor should they have more say than the two who live far apart, as the neighbors do with the EC if they live in a swing state.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

And Obama just took the popular vote. I'm grinning here.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Dominus Atheos wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:We still have nine states that hold over 50% of the total American population and that's going to get worse over the next ten years. If we switched to a popular vote only method only ten states would be payed attention to, if we keep our current system only ten states will be payed attention to. Take your pick, either way forty states do not matter.
That's not how it would work. The whole point of a popular vote is that it erases state lines. When even one vote can actually make a difference, candidates will spend time in places that have the most people within driving distance and run ads in the largest media markets.
Yes, and it also allows simple concentrations of people to distort a result which respects the entire nation and the interests of intensely different interests across thousands of leagues of incredibly variable ecoregions. The electoral college is one of the few defences we have against a total cultural homogenization that would crush regionalism and localism and pave the way for more suburbanization and more anti-environmentalism, as well as open the way for yet more cultural extremism and for regions literally ruled by hate (like the deep south) to massively distort an election by weighing in with a huge lock-step by race for a particular candidate.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Razorgeist
Youngling

Post by Razorgeist »

^^^Cool I was a little anxious there.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know.
I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." - David Cronenberg

"Doesn't Rush Limbaugh remind you of one of those gay guys that like to lie in a tub while other guys pee on him?" - Bill Hicks
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Obama is up 50k now in Ohio.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Dominus Atheos wrote:
That's not how it would work. The whole point of a popular vote is that it erases state lines. When even one vote can actually make a difference, candidates will spend time in places that have the most people within driving distance and run ads in the largest media markets.
What? My point Dominus is that ten states hold half the population and ten states share media markets meaning again potential presidents only have to run adds and spend time in ten states. Popular vote or no, no one give a shit about Alaska, Hawaii, Montana and thirty six other states. People will stop caring about states like Missouri or Colorado because they don't have at least six million residents and thus would not even be worth visiting under a pure popular vote. I'd say under pure popular vote rules unless you have eight million residents you would not be worth a shit because under pure popular voting rules you already have 64% of the total US population in 12 states, and 51% in seven total states.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Fox has more electoral votes for Obama than MSNBC... I think that has to be pretty telling.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Bean, are you forgetting that if you do go with popular vote, states don't give 100% of their vote to whomever gets a slight lead? If you campaign in states with 55% of the vote and get 60% of the vote landslides there, while saying screw you to the rest, congrats, you still probably lost.
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Man, what's Romney waiting for? Is he not man enough to admit defeat?
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:We still have nine states that hold over 50% of the total American population and that's going to get worse over the next ten years. If we switched to a popular vote only method only ten states would be payed attention to, if we keep our current system only ten states will be payed attention to. Take your pick, either way forty states do not matter.
Yes, and it also allows simple concentrations of people to distort a result which respects the entire nation and the interests of intensely different interests across thousands of leagues of incredibly variable ecoregions. The electoral college is one of the few defences we have against a total cultural homogenization that would crush regionalism and localism and pave the way for more suburbanization and more anti-environmentalism, as well as open the way for yet more cultural extremism and for regions literally ruled by hate (like the deep south) to massively distort an election by weighing in with a huge lock-step by race for a particular candidate.
But so many other countries with a popular vote system do not have these issues, this reasoning seems very dubious in the face of two important US trends; the deterioration of the eminent sovereignty of the states and of the commonly touted 'melting pot' of the US cultural animus. Regionalism in Canada for instance is frequently criticized as polarizing (see transfer payments) and hindering governance.

Secondly supposing its true it would crush "regionalism" how is this a bad thing? Otherwise I entirely disagree it will result in more suburbanizing, that is actually a reversing trend in the United States due to demographics and economic trends (more expensive car travel means higher incentive for public transit and living closer to work and friends, etc).

That and we're talking about elections for President whose actual powers in the United States in the executive branch are not so widespread, Congress should be perfectly capable of protecting niche local interests above and beyond what is at best a possibly pleasant side effect of the Electoral College and not its intended purpose.

If that is what you wish then we should construct a system that does so as its intended purpose, and not defend a broken and anachronistic system purely on its side benefits (arguable as they are).
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Chris Jansing has confirmed that Romney has called Obama to concede the race.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Finally, it was about to get ridiculous.