US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

Hamel
Sith Marauder

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by Hamel »

Stormbringer wrote:
Hamel wrote:Golly gee! That's swell! Yeah, we're just as bad as those fuckers who want to drive gays and funny colored people into the ground. Yeah, I'm so much more an asshole than the Prop 8 sweethearts.
And wanting to crush them, rape them, and totally disenfranchise them is any different from what they want to do to you how? Oh wait, it's exactly what they want to do to you. As far as I'm concerned, you're both well into total asshole territory; how far is a matter of splitting hairs.
Hamel wrote:I want to see these quaint fuckers CRUSHED underneath our feet, offering only enough resistance to keep America from turning into commietown. Otherwise fuck em.
Believe me, if you want to play the fuck you game there are more than enough conservatives left in America to give you a really ass-reaming once you've aliented the moderate-conservatives that have allied with the Dems.
whole lot of moral equivalency going on here. if republicans were gassing jews would you still be pushing this play nice crap?
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

According to the BBC, the Democrats picked up 6 formerly-Republican seats in the Senate. Bwahahahaha! We're winning!
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

It's actually kind of endearing seeing McCain winning the odd state and gradually creeping up on Obama... at least until the next round of calls, when McCain gets blown into the stratosphere.
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Stormbringer wrote:Believe me, if you want to play the fuck you game there are more than enough conservatives left in America to give you a really ass-reaming once you've aliented the moderate-conservatives that have allied with the Dems.
True. What's also true, however, is that this is a fine time for a genuinely philosophical debate, to bridge the divide between ideologically-oriented Americans. I also want to fight, but in the realm of ideas, not petty personal grudges and stereotypes.
Diocletian had the right idea.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Kodiak wrote:
Bounty wrote:Al Franken was up for election? And he won? Is that the same Franken as the guy from the radio?
The very same. He was running in his home state of Minnesota
Spoke too soon, he's leading with 18% counted. Still, that's a pretty respectable result.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Stormbringer wrote: Believe me, if you want to play the fuck you game there are more than enough conservatives left in America to give you a really ass-reaming once you've aliented the moderate-conservatives that have allied with the Dems.

Right now the only republicans left in power are the ones who are EXTREMELY far to the right, since the more moderate republicans have been replaced by moderate democrats. If there's no solution to the problems we're seeing, there will be a tremendous backlash from the far right and we'll see an even MORE polarized electorate. The best option now is for everyone to make friends.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Fuck me running, I've been working this thing since 5:30 this morning, and I'm just now packing it in. Idiots who put together the GOTV map had me bouncing back and forth across 4 subdivisions in 2 separate towns, with about a 15 minute drive each way and won't cover me for gas. The idiot run campaign here looks like it pulled only 46%, whereas the one we really pushed crushed the other guy by ~35%

And yeah, Obama was a shoe in here.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Virginia, hah.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Hamel wrote:whole lot of moral equivalency going on here. if republicans were gassing jews would you still be pushing this play nice crap?
Someone shitcan this bandwagon jumping idiocy.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

"Will.i.am via hologram" - they finally get a
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

Hamel wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
Hamel wrote:Golly gee! That's swell! Yeah, we're just as bad as those fuckers who want to drive gays and funny colored people into the ground. Yeah, I'm so much more an asshole than the Prop 8 sweethearts.
And wanting to crush them, rape them, and totally disenfranchise them is any different from what they want to do to you how? Oh wait, it's exactly what they want to do to you. As far as I'm concerned, you're both well into total asshole territory; how far is a matter of splitting hairs.
Hamel wrote:I want to see these quaint fuckers CRUSHED underneath our feet, offering only enough resistance to keep America from turning into commietown. Otherwise fuck em.
Believe me, if you want to play the fuck you game there are more than enough conservatives left in America to give you a really ass-reaming once you've aliented the moderate-conservatives that have allied with the Dems.
whole lot of moral equivalency going on here. if republicans were gassing jews would you still be pushing this play nice crap?
do you actually understand how politics work?
Do you want a massive Republican win in 2012? Do you want the next dem in office to be 8 to 16 years after that? Don't be a fool.
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Bounty wrote:"Will.i.am via hologram" - they finally get a
They finally get a new toy and this is the best use they can find for it?
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

FOX calls Virginia for Obama.
Diocletian had the right idea.
fuzzymillipede
Youngling

Post by fuzzymillipede »

Now that I look closer, Obama needs to win Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Indiana, Missouri, Colorado, Nevada, and the east coast to get 375 electoral votes. It looks like he will win all of these states except for North Carolina, Indiana, and Missouri. However, he is only losing those states by razor-thin margins. So, I suppose 375 EV is within his grasp.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Can Hamel's threads get HoS'd on their own merit, or lack thereof? So far, I've read no contribution to the thread topic but rather the rantings of a young man who just discovered what that thing between his legs does.

As a reluctant McCain voter, to stay on topic, it doesn't look like a landslide yet for Obama. CA, FL, VA, AZ, NC and a few others are still in question.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Patrick Degan wrote:Damn! Grant Park in Chicago is just a sea of humanity right now. Spectacular shot on BBC.
Yep. Want to know what a million people in one place looks like? Look at Grant Park tonight.

Very likely it will soon be a million happy people....

Millennium Park, just to the north of Grant, is the Official Obama Party but Mayor Daley said anyone who wanted to come down to "museum campus" was welcome to do so as long as they behaved well. So Grant Park has filled up. I'm sure that whole park area is full from those skyscrapers in the BBC shot (the north edge of the greenery) south to the Field Museum or even Soldier Field.

On a more mundane note, the city has supplied at least 200 porta potties for the occasion, called in all police officers, and has medical personnel on standby. Sort of like one of the summer festivals, really. Chicago has lots of experience with the downtown park area filling up with hundreds of thousands.
Last edited by Broomstick on 2008-11-04 10:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Uncalled Swing States:
Indiana- 91% reported, McCain up 5,000. McCain +1%.
Virginia- 90% reported, Obama up 57,000. Obama +1%
North Carolina- 86% reported, Obama up 16,000. Obama +1%.
Florida- 80% reported, Obama up 176,000. Obama +3%
Missouri- 42% reported, McCain up 19,000. McCain +1%.
Colorado- 26% reported, Obama up by 170,000. Obama +14%.
Arizona- 13% reported, McCain up 114,000. McCain +14%.
Montana- 4% reported, Obama up 4,000. Obama +8%.
Nevada- 0% reported, Obama up 1,700. Obama +7%.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

fuzzymillipede wrote:Looking at the electoral map, it looks like the worst case scenario for Obama is a 324-214 victory. However, I don't see a 375 EV landslide as a possibility.
It requires Obama to win Missouri, Indiana, North Carolina, Virginia and Florida (in increasing likelihood of victory IMO) + the expected victories in California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Nevada.

379 is possible if he wins Montana and Nebraska's 2nd congressional district.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

ArcturusMengsk wrote:FOX calls Virginia for Obama.
Oooh, and it must have burned for them to have to make that call.

Another 13 EVs in Obama's column and now he needs only California to put him over the top.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Hamel wrote:whole lot of moral equivalency going on here. if republicans were gassing jews would you still be pushing this play nice crap?
But they're not . And right now you're gearing up to repeat some of the worst stunts they pulled, and are convinced you're right because you've found them a moderately acceptable target on a message board. You're clearly fucking retarded and proud of it.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I'm gutted that Hitchens wasn't on at the same time Bolton was, though Schama came perilously close to repeatedly owning him. Bolton was a total history rewriting douche, Jesus Christ, I don't want to know why they gave him the time of day, frankly. The Hitch did make an interesting point about the devout in America beginning to find the political whoring of religion distasteful (when they were talking about that godawful Dole woman); that could be extremely interesting for the future evolution of the republican party.

Tonight's been pretty beautiful. I greatly enjoyed the Obama numbers being twice and three times McCain's early on.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
fuzzymillipede
Youngling

Post by fuzzymillipede »

According to CNN, Obama is now up by 7,000 votes in Indiana. He is still down in North Carolina, though. My guess as of now is that Obama will lose North Carolina, since nearly 90% of its precincts have reported in.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Count Chocula wrote:As a reluctant McCain voter, to stay on topic, it doesn't look like a landslide yet for Obama. CA, FL, VA, AZ, NC and a few others are still in question.
No way California is going fascist. FOX just called Virginia for Obama and Obama leads slightly Florida and North Carolina is only barely in McCain's grasp.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

94% reported in indiana! Obama's back in the lead by 7,000. He might just barely win Indiana in addition to Florida and Virginia and maybe North Carolina.

Montana is also getting a huge spoiler from Ron Paul. Obama's still leading now that it's at 6%.

And I hope Count Chocula is joking. Not only about California but about voting for McCain.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Rumour- once Obama gets about 270 with California and when Virginia and Indiana and Florida are called (Florida won't fuck it up this year I hope), McCain will concede.