US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by Stormbringer »

apocolypse wrote:
D.Turtle wrote:Dailykos is posting that the polling sites in California are pretty much deserted, which is to be expected as the race is over. I just hope it doesn't hurt the "No on Prop 8" crowd.

Would hate to see Prop 8 get through just because Obama is winning big.
The news is reporting on how Orange County has hardly turned out to vote. I know that they're strongly Republican and pro prop 8, so I'm hoping this lowers the pro sides numbers.
If anything, it's probably going to hurt them worse. While I'm sure there are plenty of Democratic voters that are still raging homephobes, hell it's proveable there are, the low turn out is going to hurt the Republicans worse. They aren't going to carry California against a veritable rock-star candidate and bigotry alone is going to draw them out.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Damn! Grant Park in Chicago is just a sea of humanity right now. Spectacular shot on BBC.

Nebraska goes McCain, but it splits its EV allocation, so Obama gets two of the state's five EVs.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Spunkwad wrote:Golly gee! That's swell! Yeah, we're just as bad as those fuckers who want to drive gays and funny colored people into the ground. Yeah, I'm so much more an asshole than the Prop 8 sweethearts.

I want to see these quaint fuckers CRUSHED underneath our feet, offering only enough resistance to keep America from turning into commietown. Otherwise fuck em.
And if your plan is to achieve jack shit the next four years and carve the divide within the American population just that little bit deeper, this is the way to do it. Obviously, Obama's campaign taught you nothing.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Golly gee! That's swell! Yeah, we're just as bad as those fuckers who want to drive gays and funny colored people into the ground. Yeah, I'm so much more an asshole than the Prop 8 sweethearts.

I want to see these quaint fuckers CRUSHED underneath our feet, offering only enough resistance to keep America from turning into commietown. Otherwise fuck em.
You may not be more of an ass hole, but just because you aren't the biggest doesn't mean you aren't one.

On of the problems in the Bush philosophy is the idea that its ok to stoop to the level of your enemies just because your cause is better. That moral double standard gave us shit like Guantanamo.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Virginia is at Obama +50k and rising, North Carolina has swung the other way and McCain is now up by a little more than 10K.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Bounty wrote:
Spunkwad wrote:Golly gee! That's swell! Yeah, we're just as bad as those fuckers who want to drive gays and funny colored people into the ground. Yeah, I'm so much more an asshole than the Prop 8 sweethearts.

And if your plan is to achieve jack shit the next four years and carve the divide within the American population just that little bit deeper, this is the way to do it. Obviously, Obama's campaign taught you nothing.
Somebody please split this pissing match off into the HOS.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

[...]History, despite its wrenching pain,
Cannot be unlived, and if faced
With courage, need not be lived again.

Lift up your eyes upon
The day breaking for you.

Give birth again
To the dream.

Women, children, men,
Take it into the palms of your hands.

Mold it into the shape of your most
Private need. Sculpt it into
The image of your most public self.
Lift up your hearts
Each new hour holds new chances
For new beginnings.

Do not be wedded forever
To fear, yoked eternally
To brutishness.

The horizon leans forward,
Offering you space to place new steps of change.
Here, on the pulse of this fine day
You may have the courage
To look up and out upon me, the
Rock, the River, the Tree, your country.

No less to Midas than the mendicant.

No less to you now than the mastodon then.

Here on the pulse of this new day
You may have the grace to look up and out
And into your sister's eyes, into
Your brother's face, your country
And say simply
Very simply
With hope
Good morning.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Patrick Degan wrote:Nebraska goes McCain, but it splits its EV allocation, so Obama gets two of the state's five EVs.
Theoretically that's how it should work, but the GOP is still hanging on and trying to secure the other two electoral votes. No smell of desperation or anything there, guys.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Golly gee! That's swell! Yeah, we're just as bad as those fuckers who want to drive gays and funny colored people into the ground. Yeah, I'm so much more an asshole than the Prop 8 sweethearts.

You may not be more of an ass hole, but just because you aren't the biggest doesn't mean you aren't one.

On of the problems in the Bush philosophy is the idea that its ok to stoop to the level of your enemies just because your cause is better. That moral double standard gave us shit like Guantanamo.
fucken..... fucken moral equivalence.

i am going to wear a skirt on the way to work and shit all over any republicans i see

i will spray them with shit and corn, and if'n you ain't the grandaddy of all liars
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

If the race can be called as soon as the West Coast polling stations close, we'll know in 25 minutes, correct? Or do the news stations have to wait for something else?
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

90% of Virginia Reporting. 51-49 Obama, 48,000 Fucking difference.

CALL VIRGINIA ALREADY!
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Woah, AP has Obama at 286 already.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

So, 20 minutes to go until they can officially call the race and McCain can concede.

Looking forward to the victory speech of Obama.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Wait, belay that. I read it wrong.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

South Dakota was just called for McCain, but that's not surprising.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Democrats at 54 seats and Republicans at 38 seats in the senate, with just 8 seats left. However, 5 of them look favorable to the democrats- one of them, Franken vs Coleman, is close but favouring Franken so far, and it's by far the hardest democratic race.

Chambliss looks safe even from a runoff, and Musgrove is losing to Wicker. 60 seats is impossible unless a dramatic comeback for Chambliss's opponent Martin or Musgrove occurs, which seems unlikely, but 59 including Sanders and Lieberman is not out of the question.

House: 144 Democrats, 90 Republicans. 201 Uncalled. Democrats now control the entire northeast's congress, and the entire house of a lot of the small midwest states with only one representative.

South Dakota called for McCain, not that it matters.

Arizona Gay Marriage Ban and Arizona Illegal Immigrant Law (which makes it easier for businesses to hire illegals due to corruption and loopholes) are expected to pass.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Bounty wrote:If the race can be called as soon as the West Coast polling stations close, we'll know in 25 minutes, correct? Or do the news stations have to wait for something else?
Not especially. If, for some reason, enough of a fight is brought up in the rest of the country that Obama can't take it immediately, then they'll wait on it. I'm going to bed after McCain concedes.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Hamel wrote:Golly gee! That's swell! Yeah, we're just as bad as those fuckers who want to drive gays and funny colored people into the ground. Yeah, I'm so much more an asshole than the Prop 8 sweethearts.

You know if you want to be a drunken reveller strutting around because your team won the game then go ahead. Be my guest...then three months from now when there are still 41 or 42 Republican senators remember that no matter what you may think we still have to occasionally concern ourselves with what the other guy wants. There may be bigots and assholes littering the republican party from the Bills (O'Reilly and Kristol) on down to the party hacks in Idaho but gloating isn't governing. The Obama campaign has understood that from day one so I'm perfectly happy to root for the professionals and let the strutting Monday Morning quarterbacks like you go run down the street naked for the cops to lock up drunk and disorderly.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
fuzzymillipede
Youngling

Post by fuzzymillipede »

Looking at the electoral map, it looks like the worst case scenario for Obama is a 324-214 victory. However, I don't see a 375 EV landslide as a possibility.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Al Franken was up for election? And he won? Is that the same Franken as the guy from the radio?
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Bounty wrote:Al Franken was up for election? And he won? Is that the same Franken as the guy from the radio?
The very same. He was running in his home state of Minnesota
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Bounty wrote:If the race can be called as soon as the West Coast polling stations close, we'll know in 25 minutes, correct? Or do the news stations have to wait for something else?
No, once they call enough states to put Obama over 270 (which should be about 15 minutes after CA closes) then the presidnetial race will be over, McCain will concede Obama will accept and we can get to bed before 1 am EST.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Hamel wrote:Golly gee! That's swell! Yeah, we're just as bad as those fuckers who want to drive gays and funny colored people into the ground. Yeah, I'm so much more an asshole than the Prop 8 sweethearts.
And wanting to crush them, rape them, and totally disenfranchise them is any different from what they want to do to you how? Oh wait, it's exactly what they want to do to you. As far as I'm concerned, you're both well into total asshole territory; how far is a matter of splitting hairs.
Hamel wrote:I want to see these quaint fuckers CRUSHED underneath our feet, offering only enough resistance to keep America from turning into commietown. Otherwise fuck em.
Believe me, if you want to play the fuck you game there are more than enough conservatives left in America to give you a really ass-reaming once you've aliented the moderate-conservatives that have allied with the Dems.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Ha ha —Karen Hughes got flushed off the BBC for a live feed of House Majority Leader Pelosi.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

MSNBC calls 4 of Nebraska's 5 EV for McCain. Nebraska-2 is too early to call- Obama is leading rather well in the city of Omaha, which has its own EV for all practical purposes.