Sci-Fi vs Fantasy

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Who will win?

Sci-Fi
77%
Fantasy
23%

Total votes: 30

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Sci-Fi vs Fantasy

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Full size: http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/ ... s_4096.jpg

Based solely on this image, who do you think will win? What leads you to this conclusion?
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Re: Sci-Fi vs Fantasy

Post by HMS Sophia »

I would say sci-fi.
High powered energy weapons and artillery...
But then there is magic on the other side I suppose. It depends on whether they have magic and how it works. I would still say sci-fi though...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Fantasy all the way. Because, like, everyone here is expecting sci-fi to win, and fantasy needs more love. Besides, look at ll those dragons!
But then there is magic on the other side I suppose. It depends on whether they have magic and how it works.
They have flying castles, you know. I think that suggests some pretty powerful TK, or something like it. So yeah, magic out the wazoo on the fantasy side.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Not enough to go on. Can a force field stop a Magic Missile? Based on numbers alone, I'd say sci-fi, but I have no way of telling who'll be more effective.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Molyneux wrote:Not enough to go on. Can a force field stop a Magic Missile? Based on numbers alone, I'd say sci-fi, but I have no way of telling who'll be more effective.

Say what? I'd have though the fantasy side was more numerous. Look at them! The sci-fi side has to fight in the shade.

Still I don't know who'll win, all I know is I've found a new desktop...
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Crazedwraith wrote: all I know is I've found a new desktop...
I did make a variety of sizes: http://crossovercomic.com/index.php?pag ... older=epic

:D It's not quite finished yet though. Revisions to follow based on your impressions and recommendations. Right now it's sounding like I need to buff fantasy. Maybe some sort of rock giant/balrog type guys would help? Maybe elemental "titans", each with his own shtick?
Last edited by Fuzzy_Modem on 2011-05-19 03:25pm, edited 2 times in total.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I think that suggests some pretty powerful TK
That or floating rocks like in Avatar...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

But mang, how do you explain the flying lizard-dragons? That kind of biology isn't possible on earth, you know. Also, those boulders in their catapults are as big as ten men apiece going by eye. Are they floating rocks too? Are the fantasy folks using them as an anti-flying castle siege weapon? :P

Also, I'd say the sci-fi guys probably aren't a professional fighting force. They are fighting over level ground, yet they haven't opened fire yet, nor have they dug in and set up machine-gun nests. They use giant robots, which as everyone knows are cool but impractical ( :-) ). And it looks like their motorcycle troops in the front are charging with lances just like the fantasy horsemen. These are not the weapons or tactics of a modern army.

So, based on all these observations of the image alone, I am going to propose the radical (by SDN standards) idea that superior sci-fi firepower is not the end of the story. :D
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Molyneux wrote:Not enough to go on. Can a force field stop a Magic Missile? Based on numbers alone, I'd say sci-fi, but I have no way of telling who'll be more effective.

Say what? I'd have though the fantasy side was more numerous. Look at them! The sci-fi side has to fight in the shade.

Still I don't know who'll win, all I know is I've found a new desktop...
Hell, I didn't even notice the ground forces on either side. I just saw the airborne units.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote: all I know is I've found a new desktop...
I did make a variety of sizes: http://crossovercomic.com/index.php?pag ... older=epic

:D It's not quite finished yet though. Revisions to follow based on your impressions and recommendations. Right now it's sounding like I need to buff fantasy. Maybe some sort of rock giant/balrog type guys would help? Maybe elemental "titans", each with his own shtick?
I'd be aware that this particular forum is biased towards sci-fi, so be sure to get a second opinion.

But anyway, my suggestion would be to make the magic of the fantasy side a little more obvious. Like, maybe the flying citadels generate a stormcloud with lightning and stuff? Or something to that effect. Relatively speaking, the fantasy army is pretty buff, but it needs some flash and color, like those angel things the sci-fi guys have in their back ranks.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Image updated to include rock giants and pyromancers.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fuck. That is a big ass damned dragon. :lol:

Nice work. Sci fi wins though. Computer targeting Vs. People targeting.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

SF wins. Range advantage & ability to gain higher ground.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I'll define my magic system for you with the following quote from the script:
Well, what is a spell? It’s just a combination of words. Words are given power by intent. Take a spell for fire. Someone, somewhere, speaks three random words every time he lights a campfire. They may not even mean anything, and initially, they will make no difference. For the rest of his life this man speaks the words each time he lights the fire. He teaches other people the words, they teach more. It becomes tradition- then, eventually, people find that the fire starts easier when they speak the words. Someone writes them in a book. Now anyone, anywhere, with a copy of that book can start a fire with ease. After an age has passed you don’t even need firewood.
He speaks three words. Flame leaps from his fingers.
It’s the same with relics and potions. A relic is just an object that’s been used for the same purpose with the same intent for a few thousand years. A potion is just a combination of ingredients, like a combination of words.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

This power is derived from their sun, a rogue star emitting a unique radiation that tilts the scales from impossible to improbable, unlikely to achievable. As this star moves through the galaxy it "seeds" primordial worlds with the building blocks of life, and is therefore responsible for all life in the galaxy. Additionally this world acts as a kind of galactic game preserve, where every species from every planet presides over their own kingdom. This is where we get our legends about elves and dragons and such.

The planet is tidally locked, and the night side was completely uninhabited until the Sci-Fiers crashed a colony ship into it.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:This power is derived from their sun, a rogue star emitting a unique radiation that tilts the scales from impossible to improbable, unlikely to achievable. As this star moves through the galaxy it "seeds" primordial worlds with the building blocks of life, and is therefore responsible for all life in the galaxy. Additionally this world acts as a kind of galactic game preserve, where every species from every planet presides over their own kingdom. This is where we get our legends about elves and dragons and such.

The planet is tidally locked, and the night side was completely uninhabited until the Sci-Fiers crashed a colony ship into it.
Wait, you actually have a thought-out story behind this picture? Damn, you need to start publishing some of this stuff! Do you have the Fountain of Creativity in your basement or something?
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Was I the only one who noticed the word "comic" in the url of his website? Following the link to the mainpage of the website reveals that this is part of a webcomic he's been working on.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

That's... not a bad comic...

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I think I'm going to add some wolf-like or bear-like cavalry to the fantasy side. Maybe more giants too.

Any other suggestions?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Sci-fi, because metal armor beats squishy organic armor.

And thanks for the new wallpaper
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

wautd wrote: And thanks for the new wallpaper
Certainly! :D
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Balls!

Most of those flying islands are larger than the spaceships, this points to superior power generation abilities. Assuming the islands are spherical masses of iron, they will require more gigawatts of energy to levitate in midair compared to the smaller starships (which also have a lot of hollow/negative space), and I believe this might be because of a neutrino-based radiator/heat sink.

The fact that the science fiction side has not fired from long range, and in fact has to close in to WW2 ranges to dogfight with the fantasy forces, shows that the fantasy force has massive jamming capabilities. Their dragons might LOOK like they are flapping their wings, but actually they can fly at relativistic velocities, fractions of lightspeed, and their firebreaths are measured in the kilotons at least - they only dial down their firebreath because Boba Fett is riding the dragon and Jango Fett is on the landing pad and he doesn't want to vaporize his own daddy.

Wizards also have massive telekinesis power and also precog. They can block all incoming rounds from the sci-fi side. They can also use their TK to force-choke the blood vessels inside all the sci-fi commanders' heads, giving them strokes.

Concession accepted, bitches.

:lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:I think I'm going to add some wolf-like or bear-like cavalry to the fantasy side. Maybe more giants too.

Any other suggestions?
Watermark your image Fuzzy, as usual your talent is amazing and someday it needs to get recognized. I am still sore about your Enterprise F not winning

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

Depends on a lot.But.

A technological side has the advantage that the engineers who built and designed the weapons need not stand on the front line weilding them unlike your typical fantasy mage. Also mages tend to be rarer due to them typically requiring some inner gift / quirk of birth / midichloran count or whatever. If none turn up in a generation then theres nothing you can do. To get more scientists, engineers and technicians just requires a functional education system. Mages also tend to train via the master / apprentice system which limits replacement as opposed to a technical school or trade college.

Of course if magic is something that is taught alonside reading, writing and maths from a young age, there are technical colleges and universities training magicians and you learn spells or spell theroy from lecturers and mass produced texts of mages long dead then what you really have is technology in a pretty sparkly dress. In which case the technological side wins regardless
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

dworkin wrote:Depends on a lot.But.

A technological side has the advantage that the engineers who built and designed the weapons need not stand on the front line weilding them unlike your typical fantasy mage. Also mages tend to be rarer due to them typically requiring some inner gift / quirk of birth / midichloran count or whatever. If none turn up in a generation then theres nothing you can do. To get more scientists, engineers and technicians just requires a functional education system. Mages also tend to train via the master / apprentice system which limits replacement as opposed to a technical school or trade college.

Of course if magic is something that is taught alonside reading, writing and maths from a young age, there are technical colleges and universities training magicians and you learn spells or spell theroy from lecturers and mass produced texts of mages long dead then what you really have is technology in a pretty sparkly dress. In which case the technological side wins regardless
Well actually it depends on the scale of the magic. If the magic is impressive enough (ie: normal spells are like tac nukes and major spells are strategic nuke scale), then its back to the argument of many but weaker verses few but stronger. Thus, the fantasy side still has a chance of winning.