OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Post by Dalton »

Given the big departures from that Federation starship formula over the years, one would think they'd be more amenable to something a little more outside the norm. There's been a gaggle of ships like the Defiant, Reliant, Akira, Steamrunner, Prometheus etc. that decidedly do not follow that formula (even the NX-01), and your starship doesn't even deviate that far from Enterprise standard. It's a beautiful piece and they'd be foolish not to consider your work.

Oh, and the one with the crescent-moon saucer looks fugly, like someone let a Klingon into the design meeting.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dalton wrote:Oh, and the one with the crescent-moon saucer looks fugly, like someone let a Klingon into the design meeting.
Interesting idea though? The Federation is becoming more all inclusive. A Klingon on the design team? Kinda nifty.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

This one looks just like a variant of the Sovereign. I really like the Sovereign, but this is basically just a copy with minor tweaks.

Out of the ones I've seen, I have to say FM's the best.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Modem's isn't my favorite, but I think it works the best.
Look at the progression between the A and B, it is a pretty drastic design change. I think the way the E would progress into his F would mirror that. It also fits similarly in the way they are used. The B was a background ship that while canon wasn't very mainstream. Modem's F would fill a similar role.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Havok wrote:
Dalton wrote:Oh, and the one with the crescent-moon saucer looks fugly, like someone let a Klingon into the design meeting.
Interesting idea though? The Federation is becoming more all inclusive. A Klingon on the design team? Kinda nifty.
Meh, perhaps. The aesthetic just doesn't look right to me.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Out of the picutes listed earlier, yeah Modem's is the best. The Defiant looking one is really cool but not the big gallant ship I'm sure the STO is looking for. More of a gritty, neo BSG type look.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

This is still my favorite. I think it has a more robust build that the Federation and Starfleet would lean towards after the Klingon war, the Dominion war and the Borg, but like I said, Modem's is definitely the way they should go.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Yeah, the muscle-car battleship is my favorite as well. Fuzzy's runs a close second, though, so time will tell.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Havok wrote:*snip ship*
This is still my favorite. I think it has a more robust build that the Federation and Starfleet would lean towards after the Klingon war, the Dominion war and the Borg, but like I said, Modem's is definitely the way they should go.
I'd love to see that design incorporated as well, maybe as a new Excelsior, but FM's looks better to me as an enterprise - I'd want something that looks like an explorer, something graceful, rather than a big, brutal-looking brawler of a ship.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Havok wrote:Image
Nacelle pylons are still look wafer thin though...
Stofsk wrote:Image
This one looks just like a variant of the Sovereign. I really like the Sovereign, but this is basically just a copy with minor tweaks.
Yeah, Reminds me of the Century Class, which was the Fanon Enterprise F for like the past 5 years.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Any news on a winner?
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

barnest2 wrote:Any news on a winner?
STO Engineering Report - April 15, 2011 wrote:p.s. The Fan Enterprise contest finalists are being notified and we should be able to announce and show everyone the winners (hopefully) next week!
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Interesting that CBS is still taking some role in content for STO. Apparently they also get consulted for any storylines the game will have and they're also having to give permission, and possibly withholding it (grr), to have the Vesta-class show up.

(The Vesta-class is from the novel EU, the next "line" starship of the UFP with the latest tech installed, including quantum slipstream. We see it mostly in the ST Destiny novels and the followups "Singular Destiny" and "Zero Sum Game" with the USS Aventine, commanded by Ezri).

I would so spend money to get the Vesta-class in-game, either as a mere appearance for an existing ship type or as a new class of ship available. 8)

And, to speak on-topic, I hope you end up in the finals, FM. Those are some pretty good pics.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

(The Vesta-class is from the novel EU, the next "line" starship of the UFP with the latest tech installed, including quantum slipstream. We see it mostly in the ST Destiny novels and the followups "Singular Destiny" and "Zero Sum Game" with the USS Aventine, commanded by Ezri).
Ezri? Ezri? She went from junior councillor and pretty useless, to Captain of one of the most modern advanced ships in the fleet in how long?

Also, on topic; any news Fuzzy its practically May now?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Ezri? Ezri? She went from junior councillor and pretty useless, to Captain of one of the most modern advanced ships in the fleet in how long?
Ezri did some pretty bad ass things in canon, and she has the whole multiple life times of experience, right? Plus, like you said, she's young. Give her a few decades, and I can buy her having the potential to be an effective commander.
Also, on topic; any news Fuzzy its practically May now?
Yup, the corporate executives seem to be taking their good sweet time with this decision.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

The winners have been notified and I am not among them.

I'll have something to show you when they release the official announcement. Until then my forum activity is likely to be rather minimal.

Thanks for all your help along the way. I'm still very proud of what we made together.
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

That's unspiffy to hear, man. I blame CBS, because the voting certainly didn't reflect that result.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Hang on... I thought we we're voting for the next enterprise... and the ship that didn't get the most votes and highest rating isn't even in the notified winners? ridiculous...

Fuzzy, your design was so very awesome. I'd fly it any day.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

White Haven wrote:That's unspiffy to hear, man. I blame CBS, because the voting certainly didn't reflect that result.
Agreed.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Wait... Where the heck are the results? I checked out the main online site and google, and nothing shows up, have they been released?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Wait... Where the heck are the results? I checked out the main online site and google, and nothing shows up, have they been released?
No, but the winners have been notified. Fuzzy_Modem is not one :banghead:

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Wait... Where the heck are the results? I checked out the main online site and google, and nothing shows up, have they been released?
The winner and runners-up were notified by email yesterday, and as there was no NDA, they've posted their emails on the TrekBBS and STO forums. I don't know when the official announcement will be, or when the site will change.

This is the design that won:
http://www.startrekonline.com/enterpris ... share=1259

-which I find rather surprising, but it's not a design I dislike. I'm glad they didn't go with a Sovereign clone.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I don't like the connection of the saucer to the hull. It looks like they have a split column, just for the sake of it, rather than a single central column.

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

We now know all the finalists: http://yfrog.com/z/h7cu2isj so I won't bother waiting for the official announcement.

8192 x 2048: http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/ ... ft_big.jpg

[edit]
As mine didn't make the top 25, I'll be putting it up for free on Turbosquid. Link to follow.

Maya format first, Max and Lightwave to follow.

She's yours. All of yours. Free. Non-Exclusive license. I just need to optimize and upload her and make a page. Might be a few days.

Take care of the old girl. She's got some bugs. Textures don't always apply properly on the port side nacelle strut. If that happens you gotta create a new file and import. Weapons effects are on a toggled layer. She eats ram.

That's about it. I'll post again when I have the link ready.
Last edited by Fuzzy_Modem on 2011-05-05 10:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

barnest2 wrote:Hang on... I thought we we're voting for the next enterprise... and the ship that didn't get the most votes and highest rating isn't even in the notified winners? ridiculous...
What the fuck is the point of having a vote if you're not going to listen to the voters? Just for the fun of flipping off the fans? Is their any reason they had for the decision?
barnest2 wrote:I don't like the connection of the saucer to the hull. It looks like they have a split column, just for the sake of it, rather than a single central column.
That's what I thought as well. That's a really fragile looking design.

Is it just me, or do the nacels look a bit like the Enterprise from the new film?