Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Something big

Post by Lord Revan »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Abacus wrote:That big-o-fuck-you ship is in fact launching ISDs. I did some calculating (thank you MSPaint) and figured that it is literally 50 ISDs long -- making it, at minimum, 80,000m long.
Jeez...also, it's a shitty design in that case, given how little volume there is immediately behidn the ISD "hangers." Surely putting them further back would be a lot more sensible?

Also, if that is a superlaser mount, why have the giant ball when (legends at least) showed you don't need that on the Eclipse? Given how big this fucking thing is it should be able to fit a big enough reactor in that hull.
the Eclipse was around the same length as the Executor class (though more massive) and while IIRC the superlaser was weaker then the DS one, it didn't need a massive ball sticking out of the hull (in-fact had I've not been told I wouldn't be able to tell that the eclipse had a superlaser).

That looks like it suffers of the legendaries problem of having the empire waste 99% of their logistical potential on these super massive "my dick is positively microscopic" wank ships that in practice can be in only 1 system anyway (or in this case has several weak spots big enough to drive a star destoyer thru them, literally).

fractalsponge1's designs while huge at least have thought put to them and thus don't seem like pointless wank, come to think of it is there any ships on this thread that are larger then the Excutor class, any Star Wars designs anyway.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Lord Revan wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Abacus wrote:That big-o-fuck-you ship is in fact launching ISDs. I did some calculating (thank you MSPaint) and figured that it is literally 50 ISDs long -- making it, at minimum, 80,000m long.
Jeez...also, it's a shitty design in that case, given how little volume there is immediately behidn the ISD "hangers." Surely putting them further back would be a lot more sensible?

Also, if that is a superlaser mount, why have the giant ball when (legends at least) showed you don't need that on the Eclipse? Given how big this fucking thing is it should be able to fit a big enough reactor in that hull.
the Eclipse was around the same length as the Executor class (though more massive) and while IIRC the superlaser was weaker then the DS one, it didn't need a massive ball sticking out of the hull (in-fact had I've not been told I wouldn't be able to tell that the eclipse had a superlaser).

That looks like it suffers of the legendaries problem of having the empire waste 99% of their logistical potential on these super massive "my dick is positively microscopic" wank ships that in practice can be in only 1 system anyway (or in this case has several weak spots big enough to drive a star destoyer thru them, literally).

fractalsponge1's designs while huge at least have thought put to them and thus don't seem like pointless wank, come to think of it is there any ships on this thread that are larger then the Excutor class, any Star Wars designs anyway.
None of my designs are bigger than Executor, at least at 19km. Assertor repackages the volume better to do more power generation, but is I think actually less volume.

For the record, I really hate that artstation ship. Take it away please.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

*gives Fractal a cup of tea and hides the horror from him*
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

It looks to be coming along quite well! I especially like the in-set shield generator and the engines.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Shield generator?
you mean the scaled down Sensor modular he uses?
or something else?

Personally, I am loving right now seeing it bristle with small pinpoint guns!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Shield generator?
you mean the scaled down Sensor modular he uses?
or something else?

Personally, I am loving right now seeing it bristle with small pinpoint guns!

This thing.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

If another person mentions this shield generator bullshit again, I'm going to lose it.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Labeling obvious sensor/communication towers as shield generators is something I am glad seems to have gone away with Legends.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

DesertFly wrote:Labeling obvious sensor/communication towers as shield generators is something I am glad seems to have gone away with Legends.

What are you talking about? Even the new Resurgent-class Battlecruisers have their shield generators in the same location as the older model Imperial-class Star Destroyers.
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Post by Weedle McHairybug »

DesertFly wrote:Labeling obvious sensor/communication towers as shield generators is something I am glad seems to have gone away with Legends.
I'm not so sure about that. Return of the Jedi does still have the guy remarking how they lost the deflector shields just after one of the domes go up in flames, and that was canon.

Besides, as Abacus pointed out, Rebels and the Resurgent blueprints claimed they were shield generators as well.
Last edited by Weedle McHairybug on 2016-12-23 01:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

If the objects are shield generators why...
a) are they only on top of the ship?
b) can you shoot them to drop the shield? Don’t you have to drop the shield to shoot the thing projecting the shield?
c) are there not more of them for larger ships? Executor has 6, for a ship that is 200+ times bigger than an ISD with 2

I'll leave it at that. Start a thread in PSW if you want to have YET ANOTHER ARGUMENT ABOUT THIS. Jesus Christ.
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

fractalsponge1 wrote:If the objects are shield generators why...
a) are they only on top of the ship?
b) can you shoot them to drop the shield? Don’t you have to drop the shield to shoot the thing projecting the shield?
c) are there not more of them for larger ships? Executor has 6, for a ship that is 200+ times bigger than an ISD with 2

I'll leave it at that. Start a thread in PSW if you want to have YET ANOTHER ARGUMENT ABOUT THIS. Jesus Christ.
Fair enough. It was a pretty stupid line in that film anyways.
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

My head canon on the domes has been that they are modular sensor packages (they look like radar domes, duh), but the little spiky bits on top provide a localized shield that overlaps/integrates with the ships larger shields and provides additional protection for the localized area. The column has an integrated aux power unit. The thought behind this is that the sensor systems should not be dependent on other ship systems (exectp maybe full power operations for deep active scanning) if the sensor dome was deployed by itself on something like an asteroid or a small platform it would be a combined Sensor package with some level of power and shielding only occasionally needing servicing.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I like that head canon.

Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

evillejedi wrote:My head canon on the domes has been that they are modular sensor packages (they look like radar domes, duh), but the little spiky bits on top provide a localized shield that overlaps/integrates with the ships larger shields and provides additional protection for the localized area. The column has an integrated aux power unit. The thought behind this is that the sensor systems should not be dependent on other ship systems (exectp maybe full power operations for deep active scanning) if the sensor dome was deployed by itself on something like an asteroid or a small platform it would be a combined Sensor package with some level of power and shielding only occasionally needing servicing.
Actually, that's exactly what Star Wars Complete Locations said about those things (that, and it claiming that the shields got disabled due to concentrated fire from the Rebel fleet).
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

fractalsponge, I apologize. I was not trying to start an argument in your thread. I appreciate all of your designs, and look forward to every new render you share. :)
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Rogue One shows that they can't be the primary shields shield generators. Spoiler
As an X-wing destroys one of them at the beginning of the battle and they don't drop the shields with a bombing run of ion torpedoes until somewhat later. Presumably with a capital ship bombardment in the meantime. Though the fact that the fighters can successfully hit targets on an ISD before dropping the shields still indicates a vulnerability to fighters.
evillejedi wrote:My head canon on the domes has been that they are modular sensor packages (they look like radar domes, duh), but the little spiky bits on top provide a localized shield that overlaps/integrates with the ships larger shields and provides additional protection for the localized area. The column has an integrated aux power unit. The thought behind this is that the sensor systems should not be dependent on other ship systems (exectp maybe full power operations for deep active scanning) if the sensor dome was deployed by itself on something like an asteroid or a small platform it would be a combined Sensor package with some level of power and shielding only occasionally needing servicing.
If you go with the idea that there are multiple layers of shields, with the primary shields being vulnerable to fighter attacks, it makes sense. If the sensor domes also serve as localized bridge shield projectors, it nicely explains why Piett was so worried about incoming fighters but not as worried about enemy turbolasers, as the primary outer shield was still active.

Outer shields being somewhat permeable to fighters but not to missiles also explains why starfighters are used in the first place rather than simply using missile spam. Going with the theory that starfighters are able to fly through shields because they have their own shields, giving a torpedo shields of its own would likely be too expensive to be worth it when compared to at least theoretically reusable fighters(excluidng the rather large number lost to enemy defensive fire and fighters).
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote: Image
You decided to put the Krupx missile delivery system* on it's rear end?

*Source: 'Star Wars: Tarkin' by James Luceno, p.204, paragraph 9
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Hey A question for you Ansel, It is a big thread, so.. Forgive me if I have asked this before.
but..

have you ever considered doing a World Devastator? Or, perhaps like a "Production model" version? Like one that was just random spikes blobs, but looked, well, like an actual factory ship or such?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus wrote:
fractalsponge1 wrote: Image
You decided to put the Krupx missile delivery system* on it's rear end?

*Source: 'Star Wars: Tarkin' by James Luceno, p.204, paragraph 9
It's there in the games, and you'd want it facing the enemy, which given that this is a carrier is properly behind it and being accelerated away from.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Hey A question for you Ansel, It is a big thread, so.. Forgive me if I have asked this before.
but..

have you ever considered doing a World Devastator? Or, perhaps like a "Production model" version? Like one that was just random spikes blobs, but looked, well, like an actual factory ship or such?
Maybe someday.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

I have always thought of aWorld Devastor, despite it's name... Could be considered a huge industrial workhouse in terms of manufacturing potential! And as such always thought of seeing one that, well, looked less like a thing of horrible doom ;P
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I have always thought of aWorld Devastor, despite it's name... Could be considered a huge industrial workhouse in terms of manufacturing potential! And as such always thought of seeing one that, well, looked less like a thing of horrible doom ;P
It was. Before they were developed as a super weapon, the Imperial Leviathan was an industrial workhorse.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Oh yes, I am aware of those,
Just mentioned would love seeing an Ansel™ version of one, that looked more practical and less menacing.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Knife wrote:On screen he was straffing the superstructure of the SSD, got nicked and spun out of control to the bridge.
He was also screaming in a decidedly non kamikazi way as well.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944