Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Re: Something big

Post by Weedle McHairybug »

Nice to see the Imperial LAAT/I being worked on. We haven't seen that thing being worked on since, what? Barely over a year ago? And yeah, can understand why the Havoc would be utilized as a template since George Lucas explicitly used the Hind as a template for the Republic version.

Hope both the Rendili Dreadnaught and the Imperial LAAT/I get finished soon. Speaking of the Rendili Dreadnaught, or rather, the blisters, do you have any plans for the MC90 render you were doing a while back?

Also, might as well ask this, are Coronet and X70 (that Old Republic-style ship) done? Only asking because they didn't seem to have any further WIPs, yet in the case of the X70, it's already on your DeviantART Account.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

For the Dreadnought, I feel like the central hull section is proportionally thicker and shorter than the original?

It definitely lends itself to the feeling of a tough armoured hulk, but I loved the lines of the totally-not-Galactica version.

For the gun blisters - if it was me, I would actually make them slightly egg-shaped so the rear portion sits higher than the front, and the two turrets could work as superfiring guns - allowing all the firepower to be directed forward while offering a minimal forward profile to shoot back at, a la historical naval designs.

But I don't know what your vision is, or how much creative freedom you have with the design, so feel free to just ignore me ;).
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

You know what would be kinda cool? (thinking of that thread that came up just recently about the fighter capacity of an ISD)

If you could perhaps show us your vision of the 'prefab garrison' that ISD's carry, if you haven't already done that. I know you've done like... troop ships and walker transports, things like that. I would like seeing that, anyway :D
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Geforce
Redshirt

Post by Geforce »

hey frac,

sorry the dread looks not coherent. the orginal pic set the blisters in lasern AND deflektorshields and in the lower rear part they look to different

you can even adjust it?

FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Fractal, I'm sorry to say that your Dreadnaught-interpretation looks like suffering from plague-spots or rash. But I guess, this is what you get when you have to base your work on WEG-designs.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Looking great!
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Gallery up:

Light Atmospheric Assault Vehicle/Infantry (LAAV/i)
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote:Gallery up:

Light Atmospheric Assault Vehicle/Infantry (LAAV/i)
*whistles*

So, stat wise, we're looking at (and correct me if I'm wrong):

4 x Heavy Repeating Blaster Cannon (wings)
2 x Twin-linked Anti-personnel Blasters (under each cheek)
2 x wing-mounted missile launcher pods
1 x under-mounted grenade launcher

Transport Capacity: 30
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Looks more like a thunderhawk from 40k than anything star wars :D
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The wings seem flimsy against those turrets. And for the turrets, their model itself hints to some sort of turning mechanism below it but all there is is a small bit of wing and then another turret. I feel it should be reduced to smaller fixed mounts or at least reduced to one per wing. Given its a ground transport lander the undersides probably make more sense.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Patroklos wrote:The wings seem flimsy against those turrets. And for the turrets, their model itself hints to some sort of turning mechanism below it but all there is is a small bit of wing and then another turret. I feel it should be reduced to smaller fixed mounts or at least reduced to one per wing. Given its a ground transport lander the undersides probably make more sense.
Agreed if they're meant to operate independently. If they're supposed to rotate together, but pitch and fire independently, it's fine.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Patroklos wrote:The wings seem flimsy against those turrets. And for the turrets, their model itself hints to some sort of turning mechanism below it but all there is is a small bit of wing and then another turret. I feel it should be reduced to smaller fixed mounts or at least reduced to one per wing. Given its a ground transport lander the undersides probably make more sense.
If they were earth weapons then I'd agree. But SW engineering is crazy like that. The closest analogue is of course the LAAT/i from ep2, which had those composite weapons mounted in wings just as thick. The ball turrets on the side were mounted on armatures smaller than a man, and those already had to support the turret and gunner against maneuvering stress. This for a weapon that is rated 3e11 - that's 16"/50 battleship gun recoil equivalent. Basically all these weapons require active recoil compensation; the structure won't hold any of it alone.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

And I can't do unit conversions. 3e11J ~800x kinetic energy of a 2700lb heavy shell. So, yeah, active compensation with magic fields and such.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

what are those things on the underside of the nose, warhead launchers?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Heavy warhead launchers - I figure that's one way to make these things competitive - at least for the first volley or two :p
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

fractalsponge1 wrote:Heavy warhead launchers - I figure that's one way to make these things competitive - at least for the first volley or two :p
That's a cool idea, especially since its tucked into a spot we never really see in canon material so it doesn't directly contradict anything. Which I assume was your idea :)
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Patroklos wrote:
fractalsponge1 wrote:Heavy warhead launchers - I figure that's one way to make these things competitive - at least for the first volley or two :p
That's a cool idea, especially since its tucked into a spot we never really see in canon material so it doesn't directly contradict anything. Which I assume was your idea :)
Would I be so devious?! :mrgreen:
darthscott
Youngling

Post by darthscott »

Looking good. High yield missiles and torpedoes are always a welcome sight :D Always liked when missles or kinetic energy weapons get thrown in the mix for Star Wars warships.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »