Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Indictor corvette re-renders:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zAP65Q
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

OOB. Post is really good
Bullets always have the right of away
TheRagingAstronaut
Redshirt

Post by TheRagingAstronaut »

Love the OOB post. One question, where would the heavy repulsorlift "chunk of fortress" you designed fit in this? Would it be part of the heavy armour battalions? Or would it need its own formations like the A-6?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

TheRagingAstronaut wrote: 2018-12-17 09:13am Love the OOB post. One question, where would the heavy repulsorlift "chunk of fortress" you designed fit in this? Would it be part of the heavy armour battalions? Or would it need its own formations like the A-6?
Probably separate formations. The formation I statted out is some hypothetical assault unit. The ATR-sized repulsorlift unit is more an occupation vehicle and so would be out of place here.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

What are your thoughts on the TIE Lander and a bigger version of the AAL
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I am not entirely sure why the TIE Lander exists. If you want to see a good CG one, go here: https://countvertex.tumblr.com/

AAL - meh, it's a timeline I'm not interested in. I like the look of it but I have negative interest in the new trilogy era.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ahoy Fractal.

Had been considering the Victory recently and had some questions.
Traditionally, in legends anyway, there were two variants.
The 'Gun' version and a 'Missile' one.

Well... Your version has both for the most part, heavy guns and missiles. So... I am curious do you even see a need for a "Just one or another" ?
If you took out the missiles would it make a significant difference for adding more arms or such? Or vice vas?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2018-12-20 01:06am Ahoy Fractal.

Had been considering the Victory recently and had some questions.
Traditionally, in legends anyway, there were two variants.
The 'Gun' version and a 'Missile' one.

Well... Your version has both for the most part, heavy guns and missiles. So... I am curious do you even see a need for a "Just one or another" ?
If you took out the missiles would it make a significant difference for adding more arms or such? Or vice vas?
I don't really see the need for both to be honest. But if you wanted to I'd say if you stripped the missile batteries you'd get at least better acceleration off exactly the same hull and reactor, and better shielding and survivability by removing the magazines and launch system and any specialized shielding. I think the existing heavy gun armament would be partially capacitor fed anyway, rather than a Venator's more sustained power approach (i.e. 100% covered by reactor, rather than relying on capacitor for sustained rapid fire).
Commander Veers
Redshirt

Post by Commander Veers »

Have you considered doing "bridge shots" where you render a view looking forward from right where the bridge is? To give the captain's view. Would be quite cool I think.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Commander Veers wrote: 2018-12-21 01:33pm Have you considered doing "bridge shots" where you render a view looking forward from right where the bridge is? To give the captain's view. Would be quite cool I think.
These basically ALWAYS require detail set-like sections, so they are always a ton of work, basically a new ship just for a suitable shot for a ship.

Lancer gallery up:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rRzOaa
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2019-01-10 04:04pm Lancer gallery up:
As always amazing work!
Yet again you b ring incredible new life to what had been a somewhat forgettable EU support ship.
Also LOVE the size comparison, always good to see more of those.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Now, that looks...more Imperial.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xLOnx

A commissioned design for a Mandalorian cruiser. 400m, OT/PT era aesthetics
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

OOFTA!
For only 400 Meters it looks like a BEAST! Looks damned intimidating to be sure.
Although that is probably due more to the "Cool" look to it, it is pretty eye catching.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2019-01-13 05:49pm https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xLOnx

5 x Medium Quad Turbolasers
5 x Heavy Turbolaser Cannons
2 x Missile/Torpedo Launchers
1 x Tractor Beam
1-2 x Starfighter Squadrons

....that about right?
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus wrote: 2019-01-14 10:41am
fractalsponge1 wrote: 2019-01-13 05:49pm https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xLOnx

5 x Medium Quad Turbolasers
5 x Heavy Turbolaser Cannons
2 x Missile/Torpedo Launchers
1 x Tractor Beam
1-2 x Starfighter Squadrons

....that about right?
Yes, but questionable how many fighters - it's not that big and a lot of the interior is capacitor to drive the pseudo-HTLs. I'm thinking the latter are on the light end, and probably overdraw the reactor when used at max rate.

The concept is similar to what I back-calculated for the Kandosii - point the ship at a target, don't stop until the target's dead. Second passes and fights where it's running away not optimized for, so pretty much dead blind arc except for an MTL to dissuade really fast corvettes. Raider but not really skirmisher, if that makes sense.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Makes perfect sense. Like a battlecruiser, except more brute force and less secondary armament. From the design, it may even be possible that the ship either has no starfighters at all, or uses droid starfighters exclusively. It wouldn't be the first time the Mandos relied on droid technology.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

This be great for sucker punch tactics
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Coming along wonderfully.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

What're the weapons in the big ball mounts on the centreline and in the trenches, heavy ion cannons?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2019-01-15 12:47pm What're the weapons in the big ball mounts on the centreline and in the trenches, heavy ion cannons?
I recall them being the uber-heavy turbolaser cannon...but they could be ion cannon as well.
Commander Veers
Redshirt

Post by Commander Veers »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2019-01-10 04:04pm
Commander Veers wrote: 2018-12-21 01:33pm Have you considered doing "bridge shots" where you render a view looking forward from right where the bridge is? To give the captain's view. Would be quite cool I think.
These basically ALWAYS require detail set-like sections, so they are always a ton of work, basically a new ship just for a suitable shot for a ship.

Lancer gallery up:
Oh yes, fair point.
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2019-01-15 12:47pm What're the weapons in the big ball mounts on the centreline and in the trenches, heavy ion cannons?
720 teraton single-barreled ball HTLs.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Those will leave a mark.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The trench guns are triple heavy ions and the center mount is a quad 175TT HTL. The centerline ball turrets are single 720TT HTL.

Next project - Sabre repulsortank:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Vd89gX