Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: Something big

Post by Venator »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Venator wrote: The biggest variable, IMO, is at what point fitting repulsors becomes too much of an expense or design compromise to be worthwhile. It's not like you need them for survivability - even a half-assed Separatist take on a cruiser can land it's crew safely while blown in half.
...if you're talking about the Invisible Hand, I would *not* call that a 'safe' landing. If you're referring to something else in Clone Wars, refresh my memory?
I said it landed its crew safely - at the point where you're trying to control an atmospheric descent, you're not talking about combat survivability, rather crew survival and salvage potential.

The trio on the bridge are shown leaning forward heavily in their seats as the IH slows to a stop; similar to a driver braking from track speeds. It certainly imdicates that crew seated/restrained properly would fare just as well.
Beersatron
Redshirt

Post by Beersatron »

I have been lurking for some time now, admiring the awesome work not only on the modeling/rending but taking into consideration the 'science' of the 'fiction' to make everything make sense.

I love the scale comparisons of the Capital Ships and of the Fighters/Shuttles. Do you have any plans to do a similar comparison of the weapons?

I have always had this in my head, in terms of size/power:
Single Laser Cannon (fighter) > Single Laser Cannon (Shuttle) > Quad Laser Turret > Light Turbolaser Turret > Medium Turbolaser Turret > Heavy Turbolaser Turret

Fighter Missile/Torpedo (interchangeable terms?) > Shuttle/Attack-Transport Missile (like those in your Stormtroper Transport) > Capital Missile (maybe on a scale to the size of ship?)

Thanks!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^There was a turret scaling shot I did a while back, might be time to update it...

New thing:
I know that mecha are inefficient things. Mass, speed, size all against them. There's an explanation for them in SW, but damn it they look cool so here's another one. I originally built the AT-SE off the idea of an AT-ST with an AT-AT head, but I didn't really know what I was doing back then so it came out to be enormous. Taller than an AT-AT, but at least in storage state smaller in volume. Requires different dropships, so the AT-SE is really a Corps-level asset, not so much Division/Legion/Battlegroup like the AT-AT. I've been meaning to get a medium walker, in between AT-AT and AT-ST but combat oriented, and right at the edge of plausible high agility for a walker. This works out to be ~15m tall.

LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

Those are both pretty kick ass, and im with you, mecha may not be a brilliant idea in the long run, but who would say no to piloting one?

Those look way more stable than the AT-AT or AT-ST ever looked.
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Post by Weedle McHairybug »

Nice work regarding the new walker, and good idea as well, since while impractical, walkers are pretty cool.

I must admit, your new Walker design, lack of railguns aside, is VERY similar to Metal Gear GANDER from Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (known as Metal Gear Solid outside Japan for the Game Boy Color, not to be mistaken for the PS1 game of the same name). See here: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/met ... 0530172952

Speaking of Metal Gear and Star Wars comparisons, I do have a question regarding the walkers in Star Wars, though: I always wondered since playing Peace Walker, besides Star Wars being fiction, how on Earth did anyone using the walkers manage to tolerate piloting or being inside walkers without being turned into mush while moving and causing violent jolts? At least, that's what Huey claimed when explaining the need for an AI on the titular bipedal mobile launch system:

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_G ... ker.27s_AI
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I was thinking the new walker is very reminiscent of an Imperial Warhound Scout Titan from 40K.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

You guys are all wrong. THAT THING IS FROM ROBOCOP!
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It does have a certain ED-209 vibe to it...hopefully this version does better than the Robocop one did...
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:It does have a certain ED-209 vibe to it...hopefully this version does better than the Robocop one did...
This thing does have much, MUCH better leg articulation. Although the SW universe is big enough that I'm sure there's a Planet Giant's Causeway out there somewhere.
darthscott
Youngling

Post by darthscott »

Great looking walker design. Definitely thought ED-209 when I saw it. I always wish for more diverse star wars warship designs, but they rarely seem to come up with many new vehicles when it comes ground forces. Really would like to see more repulsor tanks and walkers. It would be great if they someday used fractal's AT-SP and that Broadsword repulsor tank in a story or book one day.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

ED-209 similarity is unintended :) Though the basic gait of that thing is repeated in a lot of walkers/mecha. Warhound, ShadowCat/Timberwolf all kinda have a similar layout.

Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Pretty good work on that walker so far. I'm starting to notice a bit more detail to the legs. And let me guess, the similarities to Metal Gear GANDER were also unintentional. And I also noticed that it and AT-SE were taken from Dark Empire, cool.

BTW, sorry for asking, but is the Preying Mantis done yet? Only asking because there hasn't been anything since WIP 05 came out.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Mantis is done, just haven't put up a gallery yet.

Ventral surface with airlock/hull cutter:
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Ehh, okay, as soon as you have time.

And nice work on the ventral area of the Stormtrooper Transport. Really liking the details.

I must ask, though, are you going to be fixing that linking error in WIP 02 of the Crusader-class?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Stormtrooper transport is done:

Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Nice work on the Stormtrooper Transport. That looks pretty badass.

A bit of a side note, and it wasn't an easy decision to make, had to think VERY carefully about this choice, but... remember how I indicated that I'm neutral to the sides of the Galactic Civil War? Well, I ultimately chose a side today, and it was the Galactic Empire. Not that I really had much of an option but to do so, though: After learning about how George Lucas specifically intended for the Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire to be an allegory to the Vietcong and the American forces during the Vietnam War, respectively today via excerpts of How Star Wars Conquered the Universe (I already knew that the Ewoks were Vietcong, but while I may have had my suspicions of the Alliance being commies, I didn't have concrete evidence until today), I simply cannot support the Rebel Alliance with the knowledge that I'm effectively supporting Communists as a result (for starters, they loved to try and exterminate people of my religion, to say little about their barbaric treatment of people), so the Empire's pretty much my only option left due to their essentially being based on us Americans. Bit of my childhood was ruined from that. <sarc>Thanks a lot, George Lucas. Are you happy now?</sarc> Personally, if it weren't for that bombshell Lucas gave on who he based those groups on in real life, I would have supported the Rebel Alliance (especially considering that I thought when I was younger that the Rebel Alliance was supposed to be the American Minutemen from the American War of Independence, and besides, I usually root for the good guys), but oh well... Well, at least the Imperial warships and vehicles look pretty neat, so I have something to tide me over...
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

How many points of delivery does that transport have? Front door, back door, ventral and dorsal docking rings. Are those also doors on the side?

Are those weapons towards the bow of the ship laser cannon or torpedo tubes? Either way this thing packs a punch.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Dorsal hatch (forward)
Dorsal airlock
Front hatch (probably emergency only)
Ventral airlock with hull cutter
Side hatches
Rear ramp

The side and rear coverings would just about fit a standard airlock interface - whether they are present would depend on internal configuration.

The forward beam armament is 6x medium laser cannon, 4x short-barreled ion cannon. This is pretty close to all the descriptions I've found of it.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Some pieces:

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

It's So GLORIOUS!!! (Stars in eyes twinkling)

Still say my favorite are those heft big Quad Turrets you have, seriously amazing stuff Fractal as always :D
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Beersatron
Redshirt

Post by Beersatron »

Awesome! Are all of the ball turrets Ion Cannons?

[Don't quote images ~ NecronLord]
Kal_Skirata
Redshirt

Post by Kal_Skirata »

Man, that's Glorious. :shock:

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Beersatron wrote:

The only ball ion turret is the one that's set into a barbette. I think ball turrets are useful when the turret needs to be able to fire at more than one potential hemisphere, so good for things like trench interfaces between dorsal and ventral hulls. Probably more maintenance and cost intensive than a traditional turret though.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Kal_Skirata
Redshirt

Post by Kal_Skirata »

fractalsponge1 wrote:
Beersatron wrote:

The only ball ion turret is the one that's set into a barbette. I think ball turrets are useful when the turret needs to be able to fire at more than one potential hemisphere, so good for things like trench interfaces between dorsal and ventral hulls. Probably more maintenance and cost intensive than a traditional turret though.

Very cool! Is the central leg also a crew elevator, or is it just to support the weight? Probably a good idea, since we don't want the corvette to suffer hogging. Would Tensor fields be enough to support the ship's frame?