Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Well, after an emergency motherboard transplant and several windows installs, I'm back up and running again. So, finished the back of the bridge tower, finally. Here are some shots:

Gotta take a final stock of the armament eventually...
Aquatain
Padawan Learner

Post by Aquatain »

Still looks amazing, though i still think the guns should be in a line closer to the superstructure, i think it will look more "Imperial" that way.
There Lives More Faith In Honest Doubt,Belive Me,Than In Half The Creeds. ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I can't wait for a final count on its firepower. It'd be intersting to see how its reactor to firepower ratio compares to a normal star destroyer.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

This afternoon's work.

fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Nice engine detail. It is coming together well as I can see that the dorsal side is nearly finished...
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Some more detail this afternoon.

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

I don't know why, but when I look at a lot of the parts around the engines, I think 'flaps'. Why I think of aircraft Landing Flaps on something this big, I have no idea. Maybe it's the bad influence of Grevious' flagship.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Vehrec wrote:I don't know why, but when I look at a lot of the parts around the engines, I think 'flaps'. Why I think of aircraft Landing Flaps on something this big, I have no idea. Maybe it's the bad influence of Grevious' flagship.
Thrust vectoring panels.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:
Vehrec wrote:I don't know why, but when I look at a lot of the parts around the engines, I think 'flaps'. Why I think of aircraft Landing Flaps on something this big, I have no idea. Maybe it's the bad influence of Grevious' flagship.
Thrust vectoring panels.
Not just those, the trailing edge of the ship's hull itself looks like flappy bits that should move to me. I keep expecting something to start moving, or blinking or for the sounds of the engines to reach my ears.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

:shock: Just WOW.

I did some SW modelling on 3ds Max 5 back in the day, even modelled a small corellian freighter for my party of RPG fellows... but that thing is just wonderful!

Tell me, since I've been out of the 3d loop for some time, what version of MAX (looks like a MAX to me, but I might be wrong) do you use and what kind of computer do you have to be able to model on that level of detail?

Also, how long does it take you to render a pic?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Vehrec wrote:
JointStrikeFighter wrote:
Thrust vectoring panels.
Not just those, the trailing edge of the ship's hull itself looks like flappy bits that should move to me. I keep expecting something to start moving, or blinking or for the sounds of the engines to reach my ears.
I've been thinking of them as the neutrino radiators, actually. Never labeled in any ICS or technical document, so I figure why not, surface area to play with.

I use 3dsmax2008 now, but there's a 2009 version that came out recently. I'm currently running a core 2 quad 6600 machine, 4 (soon to be 6) gb ram, and a radeon 4850. Renders at 1920x1200 can take up to ~30min depending on how much detail is visible. The whole ship is tracking towards 3-4million polygons, about my target before I started.
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

*blinks*

Holy crap! Man, I want to see this thing in a Star Wars game or book.
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Aratech wrote:*blinks*

Holy crap! Man, I want to see this thing in a Star Wars game or book.
His regular stardestroyer was featured in the force unleashed trailer. So yeah...
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^Yeah, that was cool, and very not, all at once.

And, considering this will be 3-4million polygons when it's done, I don't think there's a game engine that will do that yet.

Anyways, today's work. I actually detailed a fair bit more of that flat counter under the main engine bank before I remembered that half of it would be covered. Oh well, more detail for the other blank spots...

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

The 'tail' reminds me right now of a crocodile's armor - and in pic 65 I have the feeling there is a 'We brake for nobody'-sign just out of view ;-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Last night's contribution:

fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

fractalsponge1 wrote:Last night's contribution:

Is there a hanger between the outer two engines and the main bank?

Anyways we need some glow in those engine!
Aquatain
Padawan Learner

Post by Aquatain »

^ I was thinking it's a trash disposal hatch.
There Lives More Faith In Honest Doubt,Belive Me,Than In Half The Creeds. ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Nah, I would say it has something to do with cooling. A radiator maybe?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^Nope, it's a disposal chute.

Modeling complete. Has been for a week, but been doing iterations of renders and lighting etc.

Orthos now, close-ups and alternate angles later.

*these are LARGE files, you are warned.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

fractalsponge1 wrote:^Yeah, that was cool, and very not, all at once.
Why not? Did they "forget" to ask for permission?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Can you estimate how many hours of work you spent on the model up to now?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

They didn't ask. But I hear it wasn't lucasarts itself, rather a contractor from singapore. And just for the trailer, they caught it internally before that.

As for how much time has been spent, I started this in early July, and finished most of the modeling by last weekend. I usually put in a few hours per day after work, and most of the time of half the weekends.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

fractalsponge1 wrote:They didn't ask. But I hear it wasn't lucasarts itself, rather a contractor from singapore. And just for the trailer, they caught it internally before that.
Damn, that sucks. Is there no way to sue the hell out of these assholes?
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Nope, it's a disposal chute.
Wow, what are they throwing away? frigates?

Very nice by the way.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.