Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Something big

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Wooo! Mon Cal cruiser!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Yay, after years of subtle suggestion, I get my wish. Woootini!
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

hmm very curious to see how you handle the paneling we talked about. Which reminds me I never did post any of the work for the Galactic Voyager and Mediator. I eventually gave up and just went with textures
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

(edit fail) Which reminds me, These were the hires model tests from a project a while back that was never finished...

Galactic Voyager (blended together with MC90 base hull, but extended and highly modified befitting a Mon Cal)

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/5760/kcz2.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img809/4809/z0v0.png

Mediator WIP
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/4133/yk0.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/2584/poth.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img189/4581/8fzv.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img822/6274/tvy0.png

and the older version of my MC90, obviously differing opinions on how many thruster nozzles are implied in the water colors :-p
http://warlords.swrebellion.com/g2/main ... alNumber=2
http://warlords.swrebellion.com/g2/main ... alNumber=2
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi wrote:hmm very curious to see how you handle the paneling we talked about. Which reminds me I never did post any of the work for the Galactic Voyager and Mediator. I eventually gave up and just went with textures
Same method as with anything else, just with more care positioning the patterns for boolean.

The Mediator and MC80 variant look super cool - it's a shame that project fell through.

On to the MC90:

Not nearly as much effort at cleanup required as I thought there would be, but the throughput is definitely much worse than with an angular hull. This is with a base panel layer, a secondary panel layer, and a layer of simple box details, with some surface greebles to break up the monotony:

The big gun blisters are still unfinished - I think they will probably acquire their own custom panel pattern. They have one semi-recessed ball turret for a single heavy turbolaser of the same size as a Venator's main gun. I figure about 30-40 of these. The small gun blisters are also not done for detail, but they have 2 recessed single medium guns. The ship I'm scaling to around 1500m, because the 1200m figure can go away and die :p. If this is an ISD peer ship, it damn well will have the volume for it.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Blisters are detailed now.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Cool. How many sizes you got going on those 'blisters'? Looks like you have 'structural' blisters, then about 3 sizes of sub-blisters with weapons mounts?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I have to take my hat off for you Fractal, a lot of people have attempted to rationalize just what the hell "Weapon Blisters" are, and seeing the turrets, well I have to say so far yours make the most sense.

Really I am still stunned you are attempting one of the Pickle ships, I remember you posting ages ago about hating the bloody things cause of all the curves and roundy bits :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Nomada_Firefox
Redshirt

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

I´m curious Evillejedi about the Mediator, probably I did not understand it very well but I think that you finished the model.
If you ask about the size, I do not accept the idea which it makes it as the half from a Viscount and yes if you are thinking it, this Viscount was not made by Warb_Null, his model is probably better, I made it starting with one Home One from you. Of course the skin is from Nawrocki.

Speaking from the MC90 or Defiance. JM, a modder from the Xwing Alliance game made one very good model.
And this is other design from you Evillejedi which I like a lot. You made it probably as the Viscount but I use it as a MC90 and I name to your MC90 as B. In fact I use three type of MC90 and more from the same starships with different skins. I know how you started one modified version from it, I would like see it one day.
I like it.

Perhaps more offtopic are these two designs, the MC104 from JM and the MC112/108 from Rebel with a few changes from me.
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

I went back to make a high resolution version, same with the viscount. The original model was very basic.

The nice thing with the MC90 is that since it is a production line ship from the New Republic, we can cheat and say it is symmetrical and has standard warship components on it. Putting thrusters, comm systems, weaponry into blister recesses and cutouts works pretty well and adds a lot of needed detail to the large surfaces. A lot of the blisters can then be repeated and standardized in size. I think my galactic voyager only have 9 component blister types.

One idea I still love for the blisters is that they clamshell open, slide back or otherwise transform and reveal banks of normal boxy quad turbolasers. Completely impractical, but the though of a space pickle turning into a spiky pickle of death with a deployment sequence is appealing. Part of this idea came from a thought of the imperial weapons embargoes, it would be easier to get lots of smaller older turbolasers from older ships and retrofit them into concealed housings and slave them together than to try to acquire larger weapons. The other option to allow good firing angles is to treat the blisters as small composite turbolasers like the LAAT canons and have arrays of emitter dishes on the tops of the larger gunnery blisters.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Hey everybody!
Ok this may seem a bit random... but does anyone know the full count of big Anti ship Turrets on the Assertor Star Dreadnaught?
just something I am trying to use as a reference for turrets vs ship sizes...
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

AHA! Found it on my own :D
Ok, i just had some time so i counted the guns of the Assertor. took me an hour so i hope i didn't miscount. i tried to count the smaller guns as well. in the end i received the number 1283!!! for comparison, the Bellator has 179 guns!

In terms of gun barrels, we're talking close to 5000, none of them smaller than the ISDII's 64 main guns, spread over a thousand turrets. Bellator would have almost 800, also, none of them smaller than the ISDII's main guns. I can dig up the complete breakdown if people are interested. According to some orthos, size-comparisons and given numbers posted earlier in this thread i calculated some figures for this ships. figures for the Allegiance: 2250 x 1400 x 630 meters. for the Assertor: 15000 meters length given by Ansel, 7700 meters wide and 2350 meters high. for the Bellator: 7200 x 2660 x 1005 meters.
That is a HELL Of a lot of Guns :D
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

What's the internal volume for the Assertor vis a vis the Viscount?

I got respective figures of 94 km3 and 12.7 km3 using very, very rough calculations.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Sorry I've been awol. Work is busy. Proper responses later.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Good to see you back again Fractal!
Interesting spaceship. Looks almost... Star treky :D
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Looks like the X-70B-Phantom from The Old Republic.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Yep, it's an x70-b from The Old Republic MMO. These things are supposed to be barely light corvette sized (~80m), but deploy more like long range starfighters/personal transports rather than anything approaching a capital ship.

This is my slightly impure take on the original, possibly slightly classic wars modified in details, so it won't be exactly what's in the game. It is, perhaps, the prettiest ship I've seen in the SW canon.

Here's where it is after today (updates will follow as I have time):
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

I would have thought it to be one of the shuttles Mara Jade used to fly around with - or maybe Lando Calrissian's "Lady Luck".

But it is nice to see, that you do civilian vessels, too. :D
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Ekiqa
Jedi Knight

Post by Ekiqa »

Any thoughts about www.shapeways.com ? It's a 3D printing company, that allows you to set up a 'shop' to sell your models. Those of us who've been salivating over some of your 3D models could then purchase small, physical, versions.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Admittedly the x70 looks sorta like a fighter more than a light corvette, but I do love the design. Nice to see something that is curved, but doesn't bring to mind a Mon-Cal design.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Admittedly the x70 looks sorta like a fighter more than a light corvette, but I do love the design. Nice to see something that is curved, but doesn't bring to mind a Mon-Cal design.
then it's suppose to be "disguised" as a luxury craft of some sort, think of a SW equilevant of a speedboat or an expensive sports car.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
darthscott
Youngling

Post by darthscott »

Ekiqa wrote:Any thoughts about http://www.shapeways.com ? It's a 3D printing company, that allows you to set up a 'shop' to sell your models. Those of us who've been salivating over some of your 3D models could then purchase small, physical, versions.
That would be incredible. I would be first in line.

This guy has made an excellent attempt at it:

http://the-white-tiger.deviantart.com/a ... -415288727
Ekiqa
Jedi Knight

Post by Ekiqa »

darthscott wrote:
Ekiqa wrote:Any thoughts about http://www.shapeways.com ? It's a 3D printing company, that allows you to set up a 'shop' to sell your models. Those of us who've been salivating over some of your 3D models could then purchase small, physical, versions.
That would be incredible. I would be first in line.

This guy has made an excellent attempt at it:

http://the-white-tiger.deviantart.com/a ... -415288727
I would love a little customs corvette, and the walkers would be pretty cool.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Don't know if any of you guys have seen this before, but I felt like I should share. It got my creative writing juices flowing and I figure it might do something similar to those that need a little bit of Star Wars inspiration.

HERE IT IS.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well that was pretty damned awesome.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.