Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Re: Something big

Post by evillejedi »

Any chance of thruster arrangements on the newer models/other views? or was that never finished off to save time?

I could never stand the round attachments under the nebula's wings and could never decide what to do with them, always looked silly and I'm really curious to see what you did with the hull geometry, because the best I could come up with was a nightmare, I still like what I came up with before they dropped a new image in the new republic RPG book http://warlords.swrebellion.com/g2/main ... temId=5759 actually come to think of it having to redo a bunch of ships was a big reason I haven't done anything in the last year or two...
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Abacus wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:I think we've suggested the Dreadnaught quite a ways back. Nothing ever came of it though, I think it might be on his list though (along with my personal favorite, the Victory).
Victory is a good class of ship, though I always thought the side-wings were a bit...superfluous(?) is I guess the word I'm looking for?
Oh come come! the Victories side wings are obvious there to "Look cool" and make it go faster!
That is why we love the victory after all!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi wrote:Any chance of thruster arrangements on the newer models/other views? or was that never finished off to save time?

I could never stand the round attachments under the nebula's wings and could never decide what to do with them, always looked silly and I'm really curious to see what you did with the hull geometry, because the best I could come up with was a nightmare, I still like what I came up with before they dropped a new image in the new republic RPG book http://warlords.swrebellion.com/g2/main ... temId=5759 actually come to think of it having to redo a bunch of ships was a big reason I haven't done anything in the last year or two...
All the models were built to one angle, but I do plan on finishing some of them at least. I'll try to dig up some other shots of the Nebula hull, but I really didn't put too much thought into the ventral areas. I assume standard ISD-ish ventral surface, and 3 engines int he back, not counting the nozzles at the tips.

One thing I do definitely want to finish is this (first batch of WIPs, more to come):

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Wow. That Nebula-class is the first example of a post-movies era ship that I've ever liked.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Road_Warrior
Redshirt

Post by Road_Warrior »

Ansel, have you considered that the docking collar/plasma rotor thing could in fact be a "tacked-on" containment cylinder designed for transport of the Teelz creature?

I never read that particular comic..so take that with a grain of salf as it were..:) The comic probably showed the creature secured elsewhere on the massive ship.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Wow...continuing to impress as always...how big is the latest murder-wedge though? Judging from the size of the ion cannons it has to be somewhere between Allegiance and Bellator at the low end correct? Of course that is just a guess though.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Well the ring idea won't work because the carrier in the fleet had one too. I think the Teezl blew up from somewhere in the spine, but not the ring...might not want to quote me on that though.

Scale wise - hehe, well I modeled this to 6.4km, upper Saxton estimate, but it's in text scaled to 4.8km. Whatever, call it Praetor II vs Praetor III. Visually it basically means the turrets and windows get smaller. The nice thing about this ship is that there are very few cues to size, so you can get away with a lot, scale wise.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well I at least got it right in general terms. Which is surprising since I suck at judging scale most of the time.
Road_Warrior
Redshirt

Post by Road_Warrior »

Oh, yeah....... was a memory lapse... Forgot all about the carrier when I typed that. So its probably just an very obvious Corellian feature of some sort..

I do like the idea of a theater sheild generator/projector..;)
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ahoy Fractal!

I am betting this has been covered before, but in a thread at THIS size it is a bit hard going back for certain things.

What WAS Your view of the Victory? As originally conceptualized it was clearly just a mini clone of an ISD with winglets. If you did a version of it I would imagine it would have to be re-done in a number of ways.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Wasn't the VSD actually an Imp-star originally? Or rather, wasn't the Victory made from the original ISD concept art? Of course that is an OOC look at it, in universe it was a mini-ISD with wings.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Wasn't the VSD actually an Imp-star originally? Or rather, wasn't the Victory made from the original ISD concept art? Of course that is an OOC look at it, in universe it was a mini-ISD with wings.
As far as I know that is largely correct.
Though I am not how it went from being concept art to a canon starship, but here it is:
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

Scale wise - hehe, well I modeled this to 6.4km, upper Saxton estimate, but it's in text scaled to 4.8km. Whatever, call it Praetor II vs Praetor III. Visually it basically means the turrets and windows get smaller. The nice thing about this ship is that there are very few cues to size, so you can get away with a lot, scale wise.
this ship actually feels more like a scaled up ISD then bellator, which was much more slender, and closer to the assetor in basic shape, I wonder how how they would divide up fleet duties.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Darth Culator
Redshirt

Post by Darth Culator »

Raesene wrote:My edition (Del Rey Trade paperback) has the maps of the Orinda-campagin on page 212. Do you mean the picture titled New Republic Heroes?
You're right, it's page 200 in the actual book. It's page 212 of... something else.

(Hey, I legally bought a paper copy too. Don't judge me. :P )

That Nebula class image is fantastic. Of course, they pretty much all are. I hope you don't mind, but I've been turning some of your renderings into trim images for Wookieepedia. We have a system where you can click on the icon next to the search form and go to the page for the subject depicted, and your depictions are ideal. But if you object, I'll pull them down ASAP.
Wookieepedia:
We're better than the Holocron. Leland said so. But Karen Traviss still hates us.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I had always assumed Giel's flagship was a battleship, low acceleration but high firepower and survivability. No reason it still can't be really, as the EGW's classification is purely size based, not role-based. At 6.4km this ship would be more dangerous than a Bellator (acceleration aside), but at 4.8km, well, that'd change.

I had some concepts for a pseudo VSD, but it'll have to be substantially refined to actually *be* a VicStar.

Road_Warrior
Redshirt

Post by Road_Warrior »

I always liked that take.. looks like a prelude type class to the Victory. Cantwell inspired one, correct?:) Could very well be a competeing bid....Rendili/Loranor/Kuat....

I would love to see this exist as a seperate class as regards to Victory as both are great looking designs. Very similar yet very different; I would mention various cruisers which exibit this as well...but you already know all of that.

So...please finish it......at some point.;)
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Hmmm, that it is interesting take on it.. It looks, very Geometric at this point. Strange to see the outcroppings going out and back, instead of the gradual raising terraces that most ISD's have.
Of course the in-universe history on it says it was done by a different company then all the others, so one would expect it to have a different style.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

I've always felt that the original concept was similar to the interdictor/enforcer hull, with a very thin brim trench, and tight small engines. To get the victory even close to the star destroyer lower end it needs some serious fattening up, which is why I made the brim much thicker and introduced the flattened area like the venator to at least get it into a reasonable mass and reactor size in my models. there is also the problem of the vicstar 1's missile tubes and the speed fins which eat up a lot of valuable weapon space on the trench and block the normal heavy turbolaser mounts. Thevicstar 2 is a lot less problemmatic because of other more official representationsexcluding the wings and making them crenulations that may carry some of the turbolaser armament
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The split-X works reasonably well if you take them as radiators, or some elaborate shroud for missile launchers.

In fact, I'm sort of leaning towards the idea that VicI and VicII were built as complementary designs. VicI was a missile boat, pure and simple, with comparatively minimal centerline gun armament. The shrouds were combination radiators and an elaborate system for protecting the prime armament, which are flank heavy missile launcher clusters set in the trench. Given your typical hull-hugging wars shield geometry, it's possible (or at least intuitive), that shields might be more effective when backed by tensor-reinforced structure. The shrouds basically are a method for extending the protection to as much of the missiles' vulnerable early launch phase as possible. Cold-launch within the small shield bubble extended by the wings, flicker shields to allow exit, then snap shut.

The more common and widely seen VicII was a gunboat version of the same hull, with a more standard armament of turbolasers, and the wings reduced to just fairings for radiator space to enable good firing arcs for the prime dorsal gun armament.

By volume, I'm fairly comfortable with either one being 3.6e24W, given that they're not *that* much shorter than a Venator, but are considerably more solid, and lack the giant hangar bays. Plus, Venator-type reactor plants do seem to be more efficient per cubic meter than ISDs', though that might work itself out with better scaling from the cross-sections.

Endurance WIPs, showing progress from early ideas:

Final:
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...not sure I quite like the Endurance. You made it look amazing as always, I just don't quite like it. Can't put my finger on it either...*shrugs*. Oh well, still nice work as always. And you managed to rationalize the VicStar's wings rather well there. And I always pictured the VSD (both marks) as a line-combatant to the Venator's battle-carrier (my own name for it). That's just me though.
Zeta1127
Redshirt

Post by Zeta1127 »

I have always loved the New Class, especially the Nebula-class Star Destroyer and the Endurance-class Fleet Carrier, as interesting designs. Now all that is needed is a proper depiction of the rest of the New Class, an appearance by all them in video games, and all of my dreams will come true.
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett
"You are fooling yourself, Captain. Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, the Alliance is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena.
And that's not incense." - The Operative and Inara Serra
Clone Marshal Commander Zeta 1127 of the 89th Legion
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

fact, I'm sort of leaning towards the idea that VicI and VicII were built as complementary designs. VicI was a missile boat, pure and simple, with comparatively minimal centerline gun armament. The shrouds were combination radiators and an elaborate system for protecting the prime armament, which are flank heavy missile launcher clusters set in the trench. Given your typical hull-hugging wars shield geometry, it's possible (or at least intuitive), that shields might be more effective when backed by tensor-reinforced structure. The shrouds basically are a method for extending the protection to as much of the missiles' vulnerable early launch phase as possible. Cold-launch within the small shield bubble extended by the wings, flicker shields to allow exit, then snap shut.

The more common and widely seen VicII was a gunboat version of the same hull, with a more standard armament of turbolasers, and the wings reduced to just fairings for radiator space to enable good firing arcs for the prime dorsal gun armament.
This makes SO much sense!
It is also a good way of making a legitimatize explanation of why the two ships look so similar, aside form saying they are just "kitbashes' of one another. I always figured those "X" wings where some sort of specialized launcher tubes.

As for your newest ship, LOVE IT.
The "New Class ships from "Cracken's Threat Dossier" were some of the most horrific and amateurish ships ever put out by the SW Franchise. I mean, they look like they were done by some high school kid... And yet you can take those... Scribbles.. And turn them NOT just into "good" looking ships, but Consistent ships, ships that actually resemble a coherent production line that appears related to each other. Which after all was the original concept of the "new class ships" project as laid out.

Also, a last note of the Victory...
A long time ago I found a fan made ship that seems to VERY closely resemble the original concept art, I won't post the pic in your thread, bust just the link: HERE. Curious oif you had seen that around the web before or what your thoughts were?
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The Endurance was originally supposed to be very similar to the Cracken's image, but I pointed out the consistency issue between the new look for the Nebula and the carrier "variant" Endurance. The editor and LFL were kind enough to let me do my own take on the design (with editorial input, naturally). The end result is something I'm actually rather happy with. Certainly it's a shape that grows on you the more you look at it.
Also, a last note of the Victory...
A long time ago I found a fan made ship that seems to VERY closely resemble the original concept art, I won't post the pic in your thread, bust just the link: HERE. Curious oif you had seen that around the web before or what your thoughts were?
I think one is generally doing a disservice to the Victory by using traditional ISD proportions and adding wings. My main gripe with the usual depictions is that it's very much like a scaled down ISD kitbash. If I had the chance to do it for real, I'd take my blocked out version, and simplify the forward superstructure. I'd take the bridge tower, keep it polygonal with the Venator-style sloping neck, but extend the module itself forward and out by the sides so it looks more like the original concept and Endurance. I'd go with the shrouds and centerline gun turrets for VicI, and the fairings and superstructure-side guns for VicII. I might even mount some of the turrets on the fairings themselves like the concept (perhaps 2 by superstructure on and 2 on fairing each side).
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Another dose of Giel WIPs:

That's where the ship stands at the moment. Once I get some energy and time, I'll have a go at finishing it.

I believe this wraps up the set of WIPs for the Essential Guide, but there is some other stuff in the works at the moment.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Evillejedi, check your damn PMs :)