Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

* wipes chin *
I think I just found a visual for the Supervisor-class heavy cruiser I scared my players with last week...

Excellent work, more ! :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Very good job...

However, i don't really like that row of heavies. It seems to be a bit off. Maybe you can consolidate them into two super heavies and a spattering of mediums...

Also, the superheavies could use a bit of beefing up to show that it is a super heavy...

That's all I got!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The greeble is expanding. Did some editing of the twin turrets for the really heavy guns, will do a comparison close-up later between the different mountings.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

So I decided last night to make a tower from scratch. Blend of devastator/avenger styles. Think it turned out well, and faster than I thought. Not quite as much nurnie as my ISDv2 but better integrated into this style now, and all the edges are rounded at least :).

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

More filling in with panels, more turrets, more details for the bridge.

Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I just had the sudden thought of a certain beat up smuggler ship being tracked by that central turret and flying in front of the bridge just before its stereotypically inept crew fire, immolating their own bridge.

Would make a good Kevin Anderson novel. :D

Back to the point excellent progress, the super heavy turrets look a bit small however, their the same size as all the others. It would be interesting to see them say, 20% bigger? Or maybe as big as the central platform can support.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

nop no no... tjhats just excessive, if antyhign give nthe IMENSE size of this ship the rest of the guns should be SMALLER
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:nop no no... tjhats just excessive, if antyhign give nthe IMENSE size of this ship the rest of the guns should be SMALLER
Well, actually, we need a way to distinguish between the heavies and superheavies by just merely glancing over the picture. For now, the two turrets are more or less the same.

P.S. Crossroads, you might want to spell check before you summit. :wink:
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Perhaps I will tweak the twin turrets. Was thinking more along the lines of having the turrets largely interchangeable, minor detail variations. Will look into that.

As for turret size, well, have you seen the turrets on the ISDI? Rather large things, those. The twin heavy ions are even bigger. Looking at ~25m average diameter mounts between them. The superheavy twins and quad ISDI-scale gun turrets here are all on 50m barbettes, twice the diameter of the the turbolaser twins on Devastator. Rather a reasonable scaling, given the total power to be channeled, I think.

And remember the scale, 7.1km, i.e. 4.5x ISD length. What makes you think the turrets should be that much smaller, given that they mount significantly larger caliber guns than the octuples on an ISDII?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Filling out some gaps, more guns:

All the turret types are visible in the second shot.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

More stuff:

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I'm slightly disappointed that the FREAKIN' GIANT CANNON mount is occupied by fiddly bits and some sensor globes.

Come to think of it, wouldn't sensor globes there be a bit ineffective? The superstructure is interfering a lot with where it can cleanly sense stuff.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

The Dorsal...Terrace? would probably be a good location stylisticly to mount Acclamator style missile launch tubes.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

That upper sensor globe is really going to annoy the command crew in the secondary bridge, their going to have to stare at it all day long. It totally ruins their evil overlord view.
Come to think of it, wouldn't sensor globes there be a bit ineffective?
I'm guessing their making up for the lack of frontal coverage that the main sensor globes have due to the main superstructure being in the way.

What exactly is inside the huge bulge? Power generation equipment? Hanger space? Olympic village?
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I'm fixing the bridge thing so it can look comfortably over the forward globes. Good catch.

And the whole big honking cannon idea is a bit odd, imho. Just as a gut feeling, I'd say eclipse-like tactical superlasers would only ever get mounted in battleships or star dreadnoughts, even if that scale of superlaser ever became common use. Probably would require massive space for capacitor banks to enable any kind of multi-fire capability that doesn't poach all the power from other systems. Seems like an unacceptable trade off for a cruiser/battlecruiser, which still needs speed, and thus a very unbalanced design in a ship this size. Though, I've always thought filling in the part of the hangar of an executor class would yield more than enough space to mount a big axial superlaser...

This structure I had envisioned as just block space for power and shield generators. I had considered hangar space, but for the absurdity of having hangar piercings in the hull in a warship meant for capital duels, right around the center of the dorsal arc that would be exposed the most during battle.

As for missiles, I'm thinking of acclamator/venator style torpedo tube clusters in the brim trenches currently; i.e. some place that would be relatively shielded from incoming fire so the torpedoes might actually get a chance to get out and away.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

So have you settled on a name yet (Warrior-class?) and, corollary; do you mind if I incorporate this sexy beast into my own personal fanon? We're in desperate need of cruisers.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Darth Raptor wrote:So have you settled on a name yet (Warrior-class?) and, corollary; do you mind if I incorporate this sexy beast into my own personal fanon? We're in desperate need of cruisers.
If it's a cruiser type ship why not use Praetor-class? Seems like the reactor that could feed this could also be used to feed the Rebel's Hoth base.
Image[
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

This is AWESOME.

Great work.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

@ Darth Raptor, not all, go right ahead.

I think I'll name this thing HIMS Warrior, and decide on the class name later. Not sure if I want to trod on any established classes without anything to go on them.

Right now, filling in the top. Probably moving to the trench next.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

A picture request: I'd love a view from a main bridge window forward when your Warrior is finished. I need a new wallpaper and would like something like Vader's view when the fleet assembles in ESB :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

is it just be or do the super heavies barrels look a little stubby compared to the paired twin heavies?

personally. I'd love to see the big guns with a 3 barrel turret to distinguish them further from the other guns, and to look more like battleship main guns.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I re-built the large-caliber twin turret setup, and scaled the turret to fit. All the large turrets are 75% their original size, which might help with anyone who had issues with the scale or emphasis on the armament before. Also did a quad-heavy ion cannon in a ball socket mount.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Those turrets are GORGEOUS Espcially the ball turret one, those are always goosd, Thojugh I love the Octople Light TUrbo-laser ones as well. Never understood why peopel thought those Octople turrets were as powerful as the huge Double turret ones
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

"light" is only ~5x less power per barrel, but many more barrels, if we go by equivalence of the 6 twins on ISDI. The really light turbolasers, i.e. 200 gigaton acclamator mediums and light point defense, are all too small to be seen at any reasonable distance - just little bumps :)
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Love the Ball Turret's size and heft. Looks very impressive. Also, interesting to note the heavier mounting of the superheavy turret. Is that more armor, or just more bulk for the bigger power feeds?
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)