Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Have to admit I'm still catching up with what the Guide to Warfare has done to the upper reaches of the fleet list, and trying to figure out what goes where now; even if I had expected this thing to be about twice the length and four times the surface area, it's immensely good.

My suggestion was that the inside of a large hangar bay would probably resemble a lung, with branching bays and sub- bays folded around each other to provide the maximum deck space for the minimum volume and exposure to fire of the bay; sortieing would have to be a careful evolution indeed, the largest single landing space being the receiving area for damaged craft.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

This ship is still being built to my original 6.4km size, instead of the 4.8km quoted in Warfare. Call this version Praetor III. There's a whole story behind that, but suffice it to say there was a disconnect between the art and the text that wasn't caught until late in the process.

There's actually not a lot that Warfare does for the upper reaches of the fleet list. Executor is confirmed as a dreadnought, everything 2-5km can be a battlecruiser, and everything >5km can be a dreadnought, with all the usual exceptions. Mandator II is given as 8km, and Mandator III as 12+km. Bellator is a high-acceleration variant of the II. In effect, the series has become more like a family of ships, rather than the traditional view of subclasses. More like MEKO than Kresta I vs Kresta II, for example.

There's not much left for this one. I want to add some large sliding blast doors for the bay entrances, and a narrow-ish spinal ventral recovery bay behind blast doors slightly aft of this region.
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Marko Dash wrote:or finally we'll get FS's take on the lady EX.
Do you mean Executor? That was one of his first meshes and was actually used in the Family Guy parody Something Something Something Dark Side.

Unless of course you are not referencing Executor...then nevermind :D
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Geforce
Redshirt

Post by Geforce »

hello anyone here?

no new fleet action?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^No time or motivation lately, but both should pick up over the summer (hopefully).

Meanwhile, it's not really Star Wars, but I've finished touching up the Infinity from Halo4's Spartan Ops.

Geforce
Redshirt

Post by Geforce »

thx...for the little lifesign :mrgreen:

i hope you motivation is coming back soon :wink:
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Speaking of modeling...my latest model is based partially off the Bellator (namely the ridge). I'm doing my best to make it unique still, but I just thought a heads up was a good idea :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Ekiqa
Jedi Knight

Post by Ekiqa »

fractalsponge1 wrote:^No time or motivation lately, but both should pick up over the summer (hopefully).

Meanwhile, it's not really Star Wars, but I've finished touching up the Infinity from Halo4's Spartan Ops.
I was wondering if you had any more images of the Naval Station that you did for the book. Maybe close-ups of the docking areas, etc.?

Also, out of morbid curiosity, any chance of getting the Bellator or Assertor in Executor blue with red engine flares?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

So, I'm still alive. Super busy at work, so not much time or motivation for 3d. Still, got some time and inspiration this week, and threw something together. Beginnings:

Grand Moff Tim
Redshirt

Post by Grand Moff Tim »

Ohhh, a walker! Doesn't quite look like an AT-AT leg, AT-HE maybe?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Might be a bit of the AT-HE lineage in it, but it won't be that.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Is this thing going to be six legged it seems?
How intervesting...

Never really liked the AT's in general, they always seemed to cumbersome on the battlefield.
Although if anyone can pull of one like this its going to be you ;)
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

OK, so here's a mockup of the hull as I currently have it. Not entirely sold on the cockpit arrangement though... Gun layout not final, obviously.

Deliberately no closeups of detail yet because it can all change with the overall configuration.

And for the record - this is just to get something that looks cool. I can't imagine much of a use for it really, since it's probably not going much faster than 40kph and is the size of some corvettes.

Just to speculate though, to make myself feel less frivolous :D - Very situational usage - land by drop barge outside shield bubble, saunter in and establish an under-shield bridgehead by slaughtering any lighter (almost all) vehicles that might otherwise overwhelm AT-SEs, AT-ATs, and A6 Juggernauts with numbers and force concentration at point of entry. Alternatively, trading fire with fixed fortifications or light naval craft in atmo, the kind that might descend to support ground forces (light corvette and below). Fully shielded with maximum weapon output trending towards light turbolaser battery. Company to battalion load of assault troops depending on configuration.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

WOOF! That thing is a beast when it comes to firepower (noting the fact that it IS just a mock up)
Reminds me a bit of one of those "Clone Turbo Tanks" but on feet instead of wheels.

Over all looks very rugged, feels a lot more "Heavy" then the movie AT-AT's.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Grand Moff Tim
Redshirt

Post by Grand Moff Tim »

All Terrain Dakka Transport? :D

Maybe put a SPHA-T turbolaser turret on top? Just how HUEG is this thing?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

*extraordinarily* HUEG. Like ~50m tall HUEG. Each gun in the quad assembly being an AT-AT main gun HUEG. I almost feel bad even writing it down, it's that HUEG at the moment :)

SPHA-T gun may well go there. I had considered mounting one in-line on top of the head, but the super-restricted traverse made me decide otherwise (the whole head may have at best +/- 10 degrees total swivel in any axis - more for articulation as the the thing moves over broken terrain than targeting - hence everything in the armament being independently articulated.
Grand Moff Tim
Redshirt

Post by Grand Moff Tim »

50 meters... any troops this thing would carry would need rocket packs to deploy.

I'm now imagining a scaled-up version of this, packing a W-165 planetary turbolaser, now THAT would really be HUEG.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Cool, so its a giant Imperial walker with the gun actually on the top? And the gunner isn't sitting in an open seat for no reason what so ever? Isn't this impossible by the rules of Star Wars?

Instead of rocket packs it should have a giant airbag of the stunt man style, so the storm troopers just dump out a hatch and hope they hit it. Though on a more serious note some kind of rappelling or fast rope system seems reasonable enough, that's high but not that high. Little repulsor platforms, maybe towed by speeder bikes for optimal cool, would also work, and provide a means of recovering people and heavy weapons.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Looks like a close relative of this piece of equipment:

http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Imperi ... r-79205821

I'm not sure to have the barrel of a SPHA-T on its back would be such a good idea (not if you consider the high recoil of such a gun and the high centre of gravity on this walker, didn't the original SPHA-T have more than twenty legs for that reason?), so why don't you put a - retractable - MLRS (MultipleLaunchRocketSystem) there?

What is the purpose of the topmost single-barelled gun? It looks so small and lonely there, all on its own. If its anti-air-defence, if I were you I would put another QTL there. And if its part of the main armament, I would place a turret of a double-barreled super-heavy TL there, even if it means to broaden the crest atop the cockpit.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I like the repulsor platform deployment idea. I don't have any plans for an interior, so I'll just do external hatches; presumably the platforms would deploy from those. This thing is enormous, but not actually *that* voluminous relative to, say, an A6. Most of the interior is likely to be reactor, rather than transport. I'm envisioning it more as a mobile artillery platform to engage concentrations of enemy vehicles and fortifications in a siege or set-piece assault scenario than a transport a la AT-AT. These things under the shield first, clear an area or neutralize local enemy fortifications, then A6s and other vehicles come in with assault troops. An A6 would be a better vehicle for the vast majority of roles because of its speed and cargo capacity, but this walker has much better firepower.

The top gun is not likely to be alone - I think the back of the center section is eventually going to see some armament. These are heavier weapons than the AT-AT main guns in the quad assemblies - more like a light turbolaser than a heavy laser - more for attacking fortifications than the anti-vehicle role, but I made sure the guns can depress enough to engage ground vehicles at range if they had to.

Taking my time messing around with the head structure, so no updates for now.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

What's it going to be packing for AA defense? Concussion missile launchers, quad-lasers, multi-barrel heavy blasters, composite beam lasers?
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Grand Moff Tim
Redshirt

Post by Grand Moff Tim »

Those turrets on the side probably, they look like the rapid repeating laser turret on the A6 Juggernaut.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Yep, those blisters are the same type of guns as the gatling lasers from the A6.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Haven't had a huge amount of time for this, but here's a layout for the cockpit I'm reasonably happy with, though the little sensor pod things might look a little busy. The detail scale of the guns and the blocked-out hull structure is a little jarring, but that should go away when the plating detail gets put on.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Yeah... I might move the sensor pod things elsewhere, that, plus all those little guns do seem to make it a bit 'busy'. Speaking of guns, are those mini-dish htings under the main bridge also guns as well? Or additional sensors.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!