Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The dish-things are the sensor pods. The structure under the chin on the centerline supports two antipersonnel blasters from the A6 (the ones that on the Juggernaut are on stalks on the sides of the hull).
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

It does remind me a lot of an old cylon head...
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

the stance looks a little narrow, if you widen the distance between the middle legs it wont look as ungainly and will give more volume for a bigger reactor or more armament, like a second bank of forward facing rotary cannons.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Proceeding very very slowly:
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

I can't wait to see it finished. That thing is going to be bamf!
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Update:
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Updates:
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Geh, Hate to say it fractal but te head, especially on the body, really does look a bit too busy :/
I think either those extra sensors, or the small guns on the bottom pod should be moved. Not really sure really, it just 'looks busy'.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Got a little more time to work on this lately. Obviously the detailing on the center body is no where near done yet. At least another layer of panels to go also.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

More details:
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Update:
Nomada_Firefox
Redshirt

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

How do you go to name it? perhaps I would be interested at to make a model with a similar design for my Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption mod Alliance. I have made things like these before and most of your designs are added at my mod. http://www.moddb.com/mods/foc-alliance-22x http://firefoxccmods.com/
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Dorsal guns:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Nomada_Firefox wrote:How do you go to name it? perhaps I would be interested at to make a model with a similar design for my Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption mod Alliance. I have made things like these before and most of your designs are added at my mod.
Wait, you used his designs without asking?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Nomada_Firefox
Redshirt

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Why do you think that I use his designs without asking? do you think that I would use them without asking and I would be here? :roll:
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

It's ok, Nomada PM'ed me about using the designs earlier. Credit somewhere and it's all good right? :)

combined shot:

No idea about name - as always will wait until I'm almost done for that.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Nomada_Firefox wrote:
Why do you think that I use his designs without asking? do you think that I would use them without asking and I would be here? :roll:
Because you posted
most of your designs are added at my mod.
implying that you had already added them. This was your first post here, so I got suspicious, especially because fractal got ripped off before. Now that he has confirmed that you asked him before there is no problem at all.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Nomada_Firefox
Redshirt

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Well, I will wait the name. In fact I would like see the pictures at your site from different view, it would be the better way for to add a model from your design to the mod. Of course it would be different because it would be low poly and usually I must change things in legs for adapt the animations. One example of this would be the AT-SE, at a first moment I had many problems making to walk it and I made changes on legs, at this moment it is a lot more close to your original idea. At least because I made a six legs walker before, I can tell you that it would walk very similar to your design.

About me, yes, it was my first post here and if I did not contact Fractalsponge at this site probably but I have used for more of ten years the same nickname and if you want know about me, only write it at google.;)

At the end, great designs, only remember that these models running into the game were made by different people and this is the main reason because they are not exact to the Fractalsponge models. At this case, I made the Bellator, the Assertor, Custom Frigate and the new pieces from the KDY Endurance, the Secutor and the Vigil were made by Geroenimo*. The other starship in screenshots is the Bothan Frigate from Warb_Null and all the models uses skins from Nawrocki where at least the Empire designs are new textures made from scratch. I wait that if you do not like them in the mod, you blame to me and nobody more.;)

*We did not make the design but never put a finger on the original models, we made it looking the screenshots from Fractalsponge.
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

And a modified version of my Nebula model for the Endurance
darthscott
Youngling

Post by darthscott »

fractalsponge1 wrote:It's ok, Nomada PM'ed me about using the designs earlier. Credit somewhere and it's all good right? :)

combined shot:

No idea about name - as always will wait until I'm almost done for that.
Truly an awesome job, as always. I have dreamed of seeing a walker like this ever since I saw those ultra-heavy walkers on the technical commentaries page so long ago.

Any chance of the final design having concussion missiles or something along those lines?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

No plans for missiles really - running out of space to put them too.

Update:

This greeble is pretty good, if I do say so myself.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

fractalsponge1 wrote:This greeble is pretty good, if I do say so myself.
Which you do. 8) Fascinating as always.

Nomada_Firefox, Is that some sort of modified Executor in that pic?
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

I still think a launcher for multiple missiles on the back would be better. That double-barreled cannon on the back would be incapable of hitting targets at a close or medium range.

For heavy firepower from a cannon, why not replace the two chin-mounted quads with some single heavy barrels each (like at the AT-AT, only larger) and a single quad in the centre and below. The head might look less overloaded that way.

Not that I want to tell you how to make your models, but why don't you give it at least a try for what looks better?
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Believe me, I went through several iterations of the arrangement when designing the thing. I had wanted to use single heavy barrels for the chin guns, to give a sort of tusk-like feel to it, but they were way too cumbersome looking, and the firing arcs were shot to hell because of the size of the mounting required.

As for firing arcs/missiles:

What role does this thing play? I pointed out well back that this was mostly a "look cool" project, with very limited applications. Still, I do have an idea for what it would be used for in my head, which I always try to have for everything I build, no matter how outlandish :)

I imagine that this is for assaulting a very heavily fortified area. So the walker uses direct ground contact to push through the theater shield, and then what? If the target is worth devoting this much metal to, it's going to be well defended, which can mean anything from minefields to hordes of repulsortanks to fixed-emplacement turbolasers to a corvette hovering right under the shield bubble. Keep in mind any enemy will know you're coming, and if they can will mass forces to repel you at point of entry. AT-ATs would get picked off by heavy defensive fire or swarmed by lighter vehicles (see Hoth). Juggernauts may survive that kind of attention, but it's mostly a MICV and doesn't have the kind of defensive power to ward off massed vehicle attack. What you want at this stage (as an attacker) is a very survivable vehicle to make the first breach, and one that is going to have the firepower to kill any smaller vehicle that attempts to overrun your "beachhead" under the shield envelope, as well as trade fire with fixed emplacements and light starships that may be huddling under the shield, protecting the main objective. It doesn't need to move fast, but it needs to survive and hold ground until you can get artillery and your own maneuver forces under the shield and begin to push to the objective.

You could make a tracked/wheeled VLS truck to get under the shield and just fire everything, but you'd have a few problems: 1) ECM, 2) no resupply in combat and limited effective control of territory, 3) the launch vehicle would get destroyed by defending forces in the absence of surprise, and your follow up forces have the same problems as before (maybe reduced, but still there). Basically, I think this role calls for a moving weapons battery with maximum line-of-sight weapon range for anti-vehicle work (antipersonnel defenses are necessary but it's pretty much always necessary for all surface vehicles, so whatever). Walkers are good for this set-piece (nearly static) assault role, since they really do offer maximum energy weapon range while still making ground contact for shield breach.

Killing lighter vehicles is relatively simple; this walker has 4 heavy gatling lasers to hit fast moving targets or drain shields off larger targets (as well as having a secondary antipersonnel and point-defense role at lower power), and 12 AT-AT main guns. Add it all up and a single one of these walkers is the firepower equivalent to 6 AT-ATs and 4 Juggernauts, trading almost all of the troop carriage possible on the volume for reactor and shield generator. Get one of these under the shield bubble and a defender is going to have to have a LOT of conventional forces to push you out again.

The top twin gun has a minimum range of 160m, assuming the pilot doesn't dip the head down for a better firing arc forward. The forward and aft guns have significantly lower minimum ranges. Keep in mind also the gatling lasers and the quad heavy guns (each barrel equivalent to AT-AT main gun or infantry variant Juggernaut main gun) basically have no minimum range. These bigger guns are for the long range anti-vehicle/ anti-fortification role, and it's why they're mounted so high up. They do have a dead zone, but that isn't much farther out than the walker is tall, so it's not terribly unreasonable I think.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Another shot: